Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
"Only 27 percent of Republicans surveyed by Gallup last week said they had a favorable opinion of Roberts,"

Why would they be upset with the CJ for upholding a Republican idea?

Going by that logic, the Democrats should still support Eugenics.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Going by that logic, the Democrats should still support Eugenics.

My point is that if Repubs are ticked, it should be at themselves--not Roberts. The CJ is just saying that if someone made a mess, he's not gonna clean it up for them.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
My point is that if Repubs are ticked, it should be at themselves--not Roberts. The CJ is just saying that if someone made a mess, he's not gonna clean it up for them.

What? The Supreme Court is not the enforcement arm of the Republican party? Color me shocked.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single

Roberts chose what he did for fear of making the SCOTUS look bad, which is why he desperately tried to get Kennedy to go along with him. Nothing else.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Here's a snippet from an article called Libertarianism for Dummies, but it works for most conservatives too:

3. Myth: Libertarians are selfish.
Some libertarians are selfish, but libertarians are no more likely to be selfish than non-libertarians. You see, libertarians don’t think compassion is something you leave at the voting booth. And if it’s compulsory, it’s not really compassion at all, is it? Self-interest is certainly a part of our worldview. To deny one’s natural inclinations toward pursuing happiness is just kooky asceticism (unless, of course, asceticism somehow makes you happy.) We also know prosperity is the result of “selfish” people going about their business — trucking, bartering and trading.

But people have selfless instincts, too. So how should people manifest those instincts, by actively looking after our neighbors or by watching MSNBC and whining about the rich? Libertarians are charitable to the extent that human beings are charitable. We happen to think individuals are better at making decisions about charity than central authorities. In fact, we consider it morally lazy to conflate higher taxes and forced redistribution with compassion. And we consider it strange to justify coercion by appeal to compassion. Think about it: Would it be morally justified for me to walk up to a man on the street and hold him up at gunpoint if I planned to give his money to charity? If not, what does a mob of voters and a corruptible legislature add to this story?

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not going to throw Roberts under the bus just yet. He just might have made it possible to get rid of this mess. By making it a tax, it can be overturned with 51 votes instead of the 61 to repeal it. They have the 51 votes - would be almost impossible to get the 61.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Roberts chose what he did for fear of making the SCOTUS look bad, which is why he desperately tried to get Kennedy to go along with him. Nothing else.

Now let me get this straight. Conservatives have been saying all along that the mandate was a tax. The court agreed. Conservatives didn't want Medicaid expansion by force. The court agreed. Conservatives said the mandate violated the Commerce Clause that limits Congress' ability to regulate interstate commerce. The court agreed. Sounds like a "triple play" for conservatives.

So why all the wailing and knashing of teeth?:liturgy:

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Now let me get this straight. Conservatives have been saying all along that the mandate was a tax. The court agreed. Conservatives didn't want Medicaid expansion by force. The court agreed. Conservatives said the mandate violated the Commerce Clause that limits Congress' ability to regulate interstate commerce. The court agreed. Sounds like a "triple play" for conservatives.

So why all the wailing and knashing of teeth?:liturgy:

We said it was a mandated tax. Roberts said it was a tax, but not mandated. Huge difference.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NotreDame

Domer
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
6 hours south of the Golden Dome of the University
✟512,242.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Only 27 percent of Republicans surveyed by Gallup last week said they had a favorable opinion of Roberts,"

Why would they be upset with the CJ for upholding a Republican idea?

It was a Republican idea in the past but ideas held by the party can and do change. After all, it was a Democratic Party idea, a long time ago, to secede from the Union but I'd hardly attribute the idea to the Democratic Party of today.

Upvote 0

RedPaddy

Jun 1, 2012
✟3,110.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It was a Republican idea in the past but ideas held by the party can and do change. After all, it was a Democratic Party idea, a long time ago, to secede from the Union but I'd hardly attribute the idea to the Democratic Party of today.
some things are more unfortunate than others. :wave:

Upvote 0

BleedingHeart

Feb 1, 2011
Grand Blanc, Michigan
✟2,049.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
You proved he changed his mind. People do that. What I'm not finding evidence of is that he changed his mind only because people who had no chance of voting him out would think he's too conservative. That doesn't make sense.

Did you read the whole thing?

Over the next six weeks, as Roberts began to craft the decision striking down the mandate, the external pressure began to grow. Roberts almost certainly was aware of it.

There's more articles on it. This was just the original report.

Upvote 0