Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
"The question of whether the President's EO was lawful or not is a wrong question.

The right question that should have been asked was whether Judge Robart had the authority to issue the TRO and whether the said TRO was legally binding to the President.

Suppose that Judge Robart had the authority to issue his TRO against the sitting president. There are about 2,700 federal district judges in the U.S., and if Judge Robart had the authority to issue his TRO, all the other 2,700 federal district judges would have the authority to issue a TRO against any President's EO as well. Should only a hundred of them decide to exercise such an authority broadly, they would de facto incapacitate the President to the point that he or she would not be able to preform most of his or her core constitutional duties."

Articles: On Trump's Immigration Executive Order, Wrong Question

• Winner
Reactions: ken777
Upvote 0

SteveCaruso

Translator
May 17, 2010
✟54,511.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Why do you think of all states, Washington took it to court? Why not New York or Maryland?

Are you saying that they are not afforded the same Constitutionally guaranteed rights of redress as other States? Or do you sincerely believe that they are somehow disqualified from that?

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Are you saying that they are not afforded the same Constitutionally guaranteed rights of redress as other States? Or do you sincerely believe that they are somehow disqualified from that?

As I said, judge shopping. The various Democrats involved decided which court to take the case to, which was the one most likely to favor their side, not the law.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟346,503.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
As I said, judge shopping. The various Democrats involved decided which court to take the case to, which was the one most likely to favor their side, not the law.
Or maybe the AG of the State of Washington decided to bring this action on their own. Not everything is a vast Democratic conspiracy. It was brought in the federal court that held the capital of the State of Washington.

Upvote 0

SteveCaruso

Translator
May 17, 2010
✟54,511.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

You're not allowed to redefine what "judge shopping" means. A State's Attorney General categorically cannot.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Who says any State in the Union has the authority to challenge in court an EO from the Prez?

• Agree
Reactions: pat34lee
Upvote 0

SteveCaruso

Translator
May 17, 2010
✟54,511.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Who says any State in the Union has the authority to challenge in court an EO from the Prez?

It's called checks and balances and has something to do with how our three branches of government were designed by our Founding Fathers so that one branch never has too much power.

Or have you read the Constitution?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Have any of these US court decisions (both those already passed and those in the works) take into account the 1965 immigration act or 8 U.S. Code § 1735? Those laws are already on the books.

Upvote 0

SteveCaruso

Translator
May 17, 2010
✟54,511.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Have any of these US court decisions (both those already passed and those in the works) take into account the 1965 immigration act or 8 U.S. Code § 1735? Those laws are already on the books.

The issue, if I remember correctly, is one of Constitutionality – which would supersede any potential problems with lesser laws. Because of that this will be headed to Supreme Court.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He had no basis for issuing the restraining order. It was a cheap political stunt.

It’s hard to get around the relevant federal immigration law, which says, “Whenever the President finds that the entry of any aliens or of any class of aliens into the United States would be detrimental to the interests of the United States, he may by proclamation, and for such period as he shall deem necessary, suspend the entry of all aliens or any class of aliens as immigrants or nonimmigrants, or impose on the entry of aliens any restrictions he may deem to be appropriate.”

Sorry: Trump’s immigration order is totally legal | New York Post
But that was not what the order did. It shut out US citizens and permanent green card holders as well.

Upvote 0

ken777

"to live is Christ, and to die is gain"
Aug 6, 2007
Australia
✟48,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why do you think of all states, Washington took it to court? Why not New York or Maryland?
Because Bob Ferguson is the A-G and the court is highly politicized. This spiteful man is celebrating the financial ruin of Barronelle Stutzman the 72 year old Christian grandmother who owns Arlene's Flowers (Feb 16 ruling). Hopefully President Trump will issue an EO protecting the religious freedom of such people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So if the new EO addresses those issues, do you still think it will be subjected to court action?
I don't know what a judge may see or do. I'm not a legal expert, but I do think the Pres. has the authority to ban new immigration if he can show that it is necessary for the protection of the country.

Upvote 0

ken777

"to live is Christ, and to die is gain"
Aug 6, 2007
Australia
✟48,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know what a judge may see or do. I'm not a legal expert, but I do think the Pres. has the authority to ban new immigration if he can show that it is necessary for the protection of the country.
I suspect there is something more going on here. The anti Trump hostility is so intense that every action is criticized & condemned simply because he proposed it.

• Haha
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
It's called checks and balances and has something to do with how our three branches of government were designed by our Founding Fathers so that one branch never has too much power.

Or have you read the Constitution?

Read it. Where do you think it mentions limits on EOs? This is not about limits on powers. If this judicial order holds, the President has virtually NO power if the judges decide to keep interfering with his Constitutionally defined duties. Read the article I linked to in a previous post.
Articles: On Trump's Immigration Executive Order, Wrong Question

Upvote 0