USA
✟585,304.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Drag Queen Story Hour,

Sounds like a prerequisite to Hell.

And to a child, it could very well end up that way. I have to wonder if some parents have even the slightest clue that these people are disturbed, and that if there were even the slightest chance a child being around/befriending one of them would ever end up a child being one of them, just how terrible that would be for the child in the here and now, not to mention eternity.

Some Christians confuse acceptance with affirmation. When we start forcing Christians to go to Drag Queen Story Hour, then maybe they will have something to complain about.

Force or not, as long as there are things like Drag Queen Story Hour for kids, I will complain, because someone is not doing right by children.

• Winner
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟981,569.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
nd to a child, it could very well end up that way. I have to wonder if some parents have even the slightest clue that these people are disturbed, and that if there were even the slightest chance a child being around/befriending one of them would ever end up a child being one of them, just how terrible that would be for the child in the here and now, not to mention eternity.
Ya gotta watch out for that Drag Queen virus
Force or not, as long as there are things like Drag Queen Story Hour for kids, I will complain, because someone is not doing right by children.
If these were my kids and you came to me complaining about my "not doing right by my children" I would probably be inclined to suggest that it was none of your business.
OB

Upvote 0

Quartermaine

Sep 16, 2019
Alma
✟73,272.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
That's too bad, I don't find it the least bit strange, but I do find it strange anyone would find defending Christian values as "strange", especially something as rotten as this (disclaimer, this is not all directed at you, Paidiske, you only brought to a head what others seem to have been conveying)
i'm not seeing any Christian values in your posts

Why is is so hard to understand some Christians are going to put their foot down at Drag Queens teaching kids, or socializing with them at all,
Why? I'm assuming your fear is that kids will see them as people.

Just coddle those Drag Queens, treat them with the love of Jesus, and the respect they deserve.
Everyone deserves respect, even you.

Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟272,415.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
That's too bad, I don't find it the least bit strange, but I do find it strange anyone would find defending Christian values as "strange", especially something as rotten as this (disclaimer, this is not all directed at you, Paidiske, you only brought to a head what others seem to have been conveying)

Why is is so hard to understand some Christians are going to put their foot down at Drag Queens teaching kids, or socializing with them at all, and that we don't care what the "Jesus is all about Lovey Dovey, and don't hate anything, not even evil, every one and their sinful ways are welcome in and never confront anyone for being "who they are", attitudes.

Just coddle those Drag Queens, treat them with the love of Jesus, and the respect they deserve. Don't tell them they are wrong. Treat them with the utmost of kindness and let them mix with our children. Show them we accept them just as they are, while teaching the same to our children, because that's what Jesus would want?

No. Some of you simply do not get it. You all love the world, the deplorable, and welcome it in with open arms if you want, but I'll pass. That's what some of you seem to be saying, and that would be the last thing Christ would want us to do..let the cancer in and nurture it.

I'm guessing this would be one of the times Christ would be furious, flipping tables over and running screaming drag queens out with a whip.

Lovely - cross dressing is "rotten", and cross dressers are a "cancer" and "deplorable", and its your opinion that drag queens should be run out screaming with a whip.

Given that Jesus had a propensity to spend time with adulterers, drunks, tax collectors, "sinners" and (potentially) prostitutes, I suspect that he's be listening to the stories rather than holding the whip.

Remind me again what is attractive about your theology?

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,304.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ya gotta watch out for that Drag Queen virus

Are you so naive to not believe that if people had never heard of Drag Queens, there would be very few, if any of them today? You really don't see the connection there? Or do you see it perfectly well and just pretend it isn't a fact because to be in denial about it allows you to use that is an actual defense for allowing those who don't know any better to keep company with them?

If these were my kids and you came to me complaining about my "not doing right by my children" I would probably be inclined to suggest that it was none of your business.
OB

To which I might reply to any and all, "Your unfortunate innocent children whose parents are in denial, who refuse to get it, and whose stubbornness might cost your children dearly".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,304.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
i'm not seeing any Christian values in your posts

Are you Christian?

Why? I'm assuming your fear is that kids will see them as people.

Of course...that and because there is a person in there, they may be blinded, and not see the rest is freakish unless they are taught better. The very reason we teach our kids not to talk to strangers. Surely you are aware children can easily miss things about people? You let your kids hang with such "persons" if you like, and see they are people, and begin to trust them and maybe even become one of them...but I'll pass.

Everyone deserves respect, even you.

Not in my view they don't. You may respect the pedophile as well if you like, but I choose not too. And if you did and had your child do the same, I would certainly question having any respect for you. Everyone deserves respect until they do things to cause themselves to no longer deserve it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sistrin
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,304.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Lovely - cross dressing is "rotten", and cross dressers are a "cancer" and "deplorable", and its your opinion that drag queens should be run out screaming with a whip.

Yes, on the first 5 and since you clearly were not paying attention, I would expaxt Christ to say "yes" to the whip back in his day.

Given that Jesus had a propensity to spend time with adulterers, drunks, tax collectors, "sinners" and (potentially) prostitutes, I suspect that he's be listening to the stories rather than holding the whip.

That has nothing to do with parents allowing their kids to be subjected to Drag Queens so they see that as anything near normal.

Remind me again what is attractive about your theology?

And you think teaching your impressionable Child to hang out with, and respect a drag Queen is attractive??

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟236,500.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I find this such a strange question. I don't see "defending" Christian values (by protesting, or attacking people who hold different values to me, and behave accordingly) as something that should be a priority for Christians at all.

The world will be the world; let it. We don't have to try to make non-Christians conform to our values, and inevitably we do a world of damage when we try. Our priority should be the mission of God, which is not about trying to force others to conform to a standard of behaviour, but about proclaiming the good news of the kingdom.

This is where I think Zoii's question has merit. Why do we think we have to "defend" Christian values? And what are the best ways to do that, if we do think it's imperative?
As a former Christian and one who maintains an interest in observing the practice of the religion it seems to me that "promote" is to be preferred to "defend". Promote Christian values, rather than defend. You seem, implicitly, to be saying the same thing. Such promotion certainly involves speaking positively of the religion (proclaiming the good news, in your words), not in lambasting those who choose a different path. In sound bite format: emphasise love over hate. But the best way of promoting it is by living, as far as humanly possible, a Christian life, thereby setting an example.

Thoughts?

@Kenny'sID Would you take the time to specify what it is you find unacceptable about drag queens in general - not the particular one that features in the OP. This would help me better understand your position.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,473,719.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
As a former Christian and one who maintains an interest in observing the practice of the religion it seems to me that "promote" is to be preferred to "defend". Promote Christian values, rather than defend. You seem, implicitly, to be saying the same thing. Such promotion certainly involves speaking positively of the religion (proclaiming the good news, in your words), not in lambasting those who choose a different path. In sound bite format: emphasise love over hate. But the best way of promoting it is by living, as far as humanly possible, a Christian life, thereby setting an example.

Thoughts?

I think our thoughts are running in a similar direction, yes. I would say that "proclaiming the good news" is deeper and broader than "speaking positively of the religion," but the idea that we cultivate what is positive, rather than trying to uproot what is negative, is definitely something I'd agree with.

After all, didn't Christ himself say to let the weeds be until the harvest, lest we damage the crop?

• Agree
Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Some Christians confuse acceptance with affirmation. When we start forcing Christians to go to Drag Queen Story Hour, then maybe they will have something to complain about.
I understand the points you're making - But I'm also trying to keep the thread civil and on track - PLEASE - exercise restraint in the phrasing of your comments. If Christians feel like they are at the colosseum before the lions, it can be expected they will come out fighting and I don't want that.

We are also commenting on a Christian based site and so for that reason, I want to respect that fact. That doesn't mean you have to agree, but it should inform how you go about making your point.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I must say after hearing peoples perspectives, I am of two minds.

Leaving aside my views on transexuals and drag queens etc.

I acknowledge that if you hold very strongly to a particular view, going into that area and disrupting it, is a very effective method. It frequently attracts media attention to your concerns, and its brings that particular event to a close. But it has risks as well. Its frequently deemed illegal/trespass, and the media you gained isn't necessarily supportive of your cause. The other issue is that its temporary - They can do the reading the next week - so you have to maintain your momentum if you truly want to stop things, and that requires commitment and resources. The issues in this tactic can be seen easily with the protests that are occurring in Hong Kong. As to whether it's moral or not, will depend on your set of beliefs. Australia has a healthy apathy, so for this tactic to be successful, its best that it already has a groundswell behind it.... eg the Vietnam war demonstrations, and the current climate change demonstrations.

If there is a poor groundswell, then such tactics seldom persuade people to also take action. In the case of Israel Folaus form of demonstration - everyone lost out and rather than garnishing sympathy, both sides felt disaffected. It was a disaster for him, for Christians and for rugby - Lose-Lose. The same for the example I tabled in this thread. Perhaps a better way would have been to say "Hey kids. We are here to say Jesus loves you (if indeed the protest was on religious grounds) and we want you to know we have a kids session with a free BBQ, plus music and we have some stories we'd like to read as well..." Something like that may have been more successful and without confrontation. In the example I tabled it was a sad outcome from all concerned - Noone won.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

Quartermaine

Sep 16, 2019
Alma
✟73,272.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Are you Christian?
are you?

Of course...that and because there is a person in there, they may be blinded, and not see the rest is freakish unless they are taught better. The very reason we teach our kids not to talk to strangers. Surely you are aware children can easily miss things about people? You let your kids hang with such "persons" if you like, and see they are people, and begin to trust them and maybe even become one of them...but I'll pass.
I've spent years warning my kids about people like you.

Not in my view they don't.
Some might take this as an answer to my question above

You may respect the pedophile as well if you like, but I choose not too. And if you did and had your child do the same, I would certainly question having any respect for you. Everyone deserves respect until they do things to cause themselves to no longer deserve it.
I've taught my children that everyone deserves respect, even someone like you. I've also taught them to stay away from people like you for their safety and to confront people like you and your prejudice for the safety of others

• Winner
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,304.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've taught my children that everyone deserves respect, even someone like you. I've also taught them to stay away from people like you for their safety and to confront people like you and your prejudice for the safety of others

For their safety? Are you accusing me of physically harming children?

Or that unlike their parent, I'd teach them to not respect Pedophiles/Drag Queens, but to stay away from them?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat

Or that unlike their parent, I'd teach them to not respect Pedophiles/Drag Queens, but to stay away from them?

Your implied equivocation between pedophiles and drag queens demonstrates bigotry and moral blindness. There is no equivocation between a person who acts in a performance, and someone who abuses children.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Oh, for Pete's sake. I can't seem to stop you all from doing this.

I'd teach them to not respect Pedophiles/Drag Queens,

There is no correlation between men dressing as women, and paedophilia. No more than you saying that if you are a pastor, then you are a paedophile and children should be warned (Indeed the incidence is far higher Source: https://www.childabuseroyalcommissi.../final_report_-_volume_2_nature_and_cause.pdf).

Please - I cant stop your obsession with this line of debate - but at least be evidence based.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟484,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Sounds like a prerequisite to Hell.

And to a child, it could very well end up that way. I have to wonder if some parents have even the slightest clue that these people are disturbed, and that if there were even the slightest chance a child being around/befriending one of them would ever end up a child being one of them, just how terrible that would be for the child in the here and now, not to mention eternity.

Yeah, who knows. The child might grow up to also want to volunteer to spend time reading to children. "just how terrible that would be"?

Upvote 0

Quartermaine

Sep 16, 2019
Alma
✟73,272.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Ii teach them that pedophiles are in no way connected to drag queens and to be cautious of those who make false claims otherwise

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,304.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Your implied equivocation between pedophiles and drag queens demonstrates bigotry and moral blindness. There is no equivocation between a person who acts in a performance, and someone who abuses children.

Yet, I would still....

teach them to not respect Pedophiles/Drag Queens, but to stay away from them?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.