rockford
✟4,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would suggest that trying to convince a non-Christian culture of your views, particularly on what's deemed more of a social issue where the argument boils down to "the Bible says", where you can't appeal to something like, say, basic human rights, where those who don't believe may still be able to find some common ground with you, is a fool's errand. It will be seen, perhaps with some good reason, as Christians being moral scolds, once again butting in where they weren't asked to.

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
My question is - Are those of religious persuasion, being adequately educated on how to "Sell" there religious message.

I'm 55, lived on 4 continents, visited about 80 countries. I have never met a single Christian that has ever been even close to adequate when it comes to "selling" their message.

Not one.

Also, the difference between a story and a plot is that in a story events are only connected by chronology.

This article is a story.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,716.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
My question is - Are those of religious persuasion, being adequately educated on how to "Sell" there religious message. How well are they being counselled. For when you weigh up the cost - What good was achieved by this young person - What good was achieved by the famous rugby player. What good has come out of it all - Indeed it'd seem that all that was gained was upset, anger, negatives. Was there a better way that would entice people to listen, instead of causing disharmony.

Head of Liberal National Club who mobbed drag queens reading to kids dies

I'm 55, lived on 4 continents, visited about 80 countries. I have never met a single Christian that has ever been even close to adequate when it comes to "selling" their message.

Not one.

Yep.

I’ve been attending small, urban, theologically-conservative churches for the last decade or so and, to their credit, the overwhelming majority of folks I’ve known within those churches have been keenly aware that the traditional “sales pitch” has been been really self-serving, off-putting, and disrespectful, and have been trying to find better ways of doing things.

• Useful
Reactions: Zoii
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,544.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Yep.

I’ve been attending small, urban, theologically-conservative churches for the last decade or so and, to their credit, the overwhelming majority of folks I’ve known within those churches have been keenly aware that the traditional “sales pitch” has been been really self-serving, off-putting, and disrespectful, and have been trying to find better ways of doing things.
The best way to indoctrinate people into your faith is to do so either while they are still young and lack the ability of critical examination or during a time of great emotional stress.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The best way to indoctrinate people into your faith is to do so either while they are still young and lack the ability of critical examination or during a time of great emotional stress.

This is a perfect example of not understanding a thing about Christianity.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
This is how crazy the left has gone, they even attack their own members for being 'unbiased'.
https://nationalpost.com/news/canad...-shepherd-for-showing-a-jordan-peterson-video
Hey, quit it. Stop being so utterly disrespectful of this thread. Your post has ZERO to do with the topic. If you want to start your own, I'm sure you know how to do it. If not, then comply with the Rules of CF and stay on topic. Don't make me have to report you in order to comply with the rules here.

Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
he best way to indoctrinate people into your faith is to do so either while they are still young and lack the ability of critical examination or during a time of great emotional stress.
A few issues with your post:
My OP was directed at all religions - not just Christianity.

Secondly - there are many great religious scholars, whose focus is more on the nature of spirituality and universal love - such individuals appeal to the intellectual and critical thinker - I say this to challenge your viewpoint, which I think was more of an attack. I'd just ask you to steady your sword arm and approach this more intellectually and not assume all those wanting to debate religion, are fundamentalist and destructive in their methods.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Here's an article on the library incident, with a short video of the confrontation. There was chanting that was quite rude, the kind I associate with the Left. (BTW, the article headline erroneously calls the young man a liberal.)

Jesus used force to cleanse the Temple. But the Temple was part of a theocratic system of governance overtly ruled by religion. And to boot, Jesus claimed greater authority than that system. In contrast, we live in a secular society where the church plays a prophetic role, speaking the oracles of God into the culture. Basically, we have the power to persuade, not to force. I we want to use force we must go through the system and convince the government, which holds the power of the sword, to pass laws to that effect. And to do that we have to convince the people at large. Especially considering that young children were at this event, with the approval of their parents, I think more harm than good was done by this rude protest.

As I said, the protest reminded me of a typical Leftist affair. We need to do the Lord's work the Lord's way, and not with the weapons of the flesh, lest we violate our conscience.

For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare [are] not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, - 2Co 10:3-4 NKJV​

Difficult times, difficult times.

• Agree
Reactions: RestoreTheJoy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
There was chanting that was quite rude, the kind I associate with the Left.

As I said, the protest reminded me of a typical Leftist affair.

I realise that in the USA its a very divided nation with almost vitriolic regard for those who have a political persuasion, not of your own. Hence in any conversation that evolves from the USA, whether it be about a policy or a child's lollipop, it will always return to Left v Right.

You need to be aware of this because it affects your judgment. If you have a right-wing political persuasion, you will reflexly blame a situation on the left

This is exactly what you did here - The group chanting is a group called the Young Liberals. In Australia, The liberal Party is the conservative right-wing party (and yes I acknowledge that seems at odds - Liberal yet its the conservative party). My point is to be aware of your prejudices because it can lead to error.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Basically, we have the power to persuade, not to force. I we want to use force we must go through the system and convince the government, which holds the power of the sword, to pass laws to that effect.

With regards to this incident, what are you advocating?

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
As a follower of Christ, I do not protest against anything publicly. I may not like it, I may disagree but I do not protest in a secular culture.
Steve I have no issue with protests - I think its a worthy expression of free speech.
But in this instance, it wasn't a protest. It was to disrupt the event and possibly to persuade people that they are BAD for engaging in the event and that they should be persuaded to take up the protestors religious beliefs.

What's your view of their strategic planning.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟687,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Before I begin, allow me to exclude elements that we can all accept - That is:
  • This site, and a large proportion of individuals (of all religious persuasions) do not condone homosexuality. Indeed many non-religious people revile homosexuality.
  • Equally, there is an increasing proportion of individuals that have an opposing opinion. We all know that so please - DONT GET CHILDISH AND RESORT TO A " HOMOSEXUALS ARE BAD VS NO THEY ARE NOT" debate. We know one another's position so it doesn't need a debate for the one millionth time here.
This story is about a group of Australian conservatives (I do not know if they have a religious persuasion or not) who decided to go to a library event where a drag queen was reading a story to children.

NOW - Before you jump in and say ARGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH, the children attended with the full knowledge and consent of their parents who had no issue with it.

Apparently the conservatives disrupted the event and there was some minor confrontation. There was some backlash against those individuals and the principal instigator in particular.

This principal instigator later took his life. Testimonies about his character talked of the young man being a kind and thoughtful individual.

Whats this thread about? - Australia has seen several cases of this ilk. A very prominent sportsman was dismissed for reviling people he did not approve of on religious grounds. He was dismissed from his contract. Now there's this example.

My question is - Are those of religious persuasion, being adequately educated on how to "Sell" there religious message. How well are they being counselled. For when you weigh up the cost - What good was achieved by this young person - What good was achieved by the famous rugby player. What good has come out of it all - Indeed it'd seem that all that was gained was upset, anger, negatives. Was there a better way that would entice people to listen, instead of causing disharmony.

Head of Liberal National Club who mobbed drag queens reading to kids dies

1.) I'm not sure what kind of protesting was being done. Were they simply standing outside with signs? Were they peaceful or were they obnoxious.

I believe in everyone's right to protest peacefully without being attacked for it.

However, I don't see progressives feeling the same. The only people they believe deserves any amount of freedom is themselves.

We see this in how they attack others. The Christian bakery, for instance, was pretty much sued out of existence. And this is what they are about. They have gotten a teenagers scholarship to Harvard revoked because they didn't like something he said on Facebook and when they found out he was granted a scholarship they called and wrote letters until the scholarship was revoked. In incident after incident they are going after people's livelihoods for saying things the progressive left doesn't agree with - while at the same time happy to spout the most venomous hatred toward those who don't believe as they do.

I think this behavior from the left needs to end. People are either free to follow their faith however they see fit or free to voice their opinion on various topics or we live under tyranny... The left is scary because they are happy for tyranny so long as it's them being tyrannical.

That said, the right isn't always innocent either so a balance must be found.

I would be considered a Conservative Christian Libertarian politically (for the most part), and I dont believe holding signs is the way to change hearts and minds, although their been a time or two I've wanted to "protest" something, it's never been over people's personal lives.

I do think where a nation's children are concerned, we should be very concerned over recent pushes for transgender sex changes and hormonal suppression in prepubescent children. That to me is classic child abuse, especially considering that 90% of "transgender" prepubescent children who are allowed to go through puberty naturally will grow out of it or otherwise stop being gender confused therefore to disallow a normal puberty is to abuse a child. Anytime you can use preventative care over massive surgery we should be, for the sake of the patient, and disallowing a child to go through a normal puberty is opting for massive surgery over potentially helpful non-surgical preventative care. (and my faith in Christ or the Bible doesn't even enter into that stance)

So of course there are many many factors to consider whenever you decide whether or not a thing requires a "protest" of any kind, and I don't necessarily think running around anywhere with a sign is helpful at all..

But with any issue there are always two sides and I believe a total shut down on free speech is detrimental to society, regardless of whether that speech seems appropriate to your own mind.

Massive efforts to harass people (in this case to death) because they protested anything (whether you agree with them or not) beyond a peaceful counter protest is tyrannical behavior and will result in nothing good.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Steve97

Dec 26, 2019
none
✟15,944.00
Country
Tajikistan
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK - SNP
Steve I have no issue with protests - I think its a worthy expression of free speech.
But in this instance, it wasn't a protest. It was to disrupt the event and possibly to persuade people that they are BAD for engaging in the event and that they should be persuaded to take up the protestors religious beliefs.

What's your view of their strategic planning.

Their strategic plan was obviously a form of protesting, which they have a right to do as does anyone. I am in favor of free speech. As a Christian, I do not protest.

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.