• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Conservative Commentator: Trump's Defenders Have No Defense

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by SummerMadness, Nov 22, 2019.

1. SummerMadness

SummerMadness Senior Veteran

+8,815
    Christian
    Trump's Defenders Have No Defense

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. ChristianForCats

ChristianForCats Christ is born!

+1,583
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Only people with an account can read more than that. Do any sites that don't require one have the same, as in totally identical, story?

3. ThatRobGuy

ThatRobGuy Programmer Extraordinaire Supporter

+7,973
    United States
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Others
    To anyone looking at it with an open mind and objective viewpoint, I think it should be obvious that his administration was making a thinly veiled attempt to derail a political opponent by dangling the carrot of aid to a nation that may have dirt they can reveal against said opponent.

The question will be, was his thinly veiled attempt "thin" enough that they'll be able to make something stick.

My gut feeling is no. I think they strategically played it so that they can make the claim that they were just encouraging Ukraine to "uncover and go after corruption, as a whole", which, in and of itself, isn't anything new or unique to this administration.

In terms of what I "think"...I think that was a convenient opportunity for the Trump administration to target Biden, by making it seem like it was simply a small part of a broader anti-corruption policy. But again, from the transcripts we've been exposed to thus far, it would seem that they chose their language and verbiage carefully enough to not explicitly expose that idea.

4. JohnAshton

JohnAshton Well-Known Member

+1,147
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    . . . yet not thin enough to escape the mud themselves they were trying to spill on the Bidens.

5. Aryeh Jay

Aryeh Jay Veteran Supporter

+8,331
    United States
    Married
    Why were Presidential candidates children’s foreign business dealings in 2016 none of our business but now all of a sudden it is important?

6. cow451

cow451 The Most Interesting Poster in the Forum Supporter

+13,166
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    Is that a rhetorical question?

7. Daniel Marsh

Daniel Marsh Well-Known Member

+1,134
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
  8. ChristianForCats

+1,583
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Democrat
    There are only three Clintons: Bill, Hillary, and Chelsea. Donald Trump could only attack Bill, not Chelsea, who never did anything suspicious as the First Daughter. Did any Republican primary candidates have kids breaking laws in other couuntires at the time?

9. Aryeh Jay

Aryeh Jay Veteran Supporter

+8,331
    United States
    Married
    Good lord NO! It is impossible for Republicans to break the law. They are God’s chosen to rule and are above all man’s laws!

10. ChristianForCats

+1,583
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Democrat
    The American people choose who governs them.

11. SummerMadness

SummerMadness Senior Veteran

+8,815
    Christian
    And those who violate the Constitution while serving in office need to be impeached and removed.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  12. ChristianForCats

+1,583
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Amen! I don't trust 20 Republican Senators to do the right thing, but if they put their Trump loyalties on the back porch, it will happen.

13. Go Braves

Go Braves I miss Senator McCain

+8,752
    United States
    Catholic
    In Relationship
    US-Republican
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  14. SimplyMe

SimplyMe Senior Veteran

+2,619
    Christian
    Married
    This appears to be the same editorial, posted on Fox News (not behind a paywall).

For those who don't know Peggy Noonan, she was Reagan's chief speechwriter.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. iluvatar5150

iluvatar5150 Well-Known Member

+11,251
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
    That Fox link only has part of it.

As an aside, I’m continually surprised at how many people here cite links to WSJ, which has one of the tightest paywalls I’ve come across, when I’m pretty confident none of them subscribe.

16. wing2000

wing2000 E pluribus unum Supporter

+6,866
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    ....from what I can see on the Fox link....Ms Noonan is correct on this point -- the actions ascribed to the President are consistent with his behavior:

What was said consistently undermined Mr. Trump’s case, but more deadly was what has never been said. In the two months since Speaker Nancy Pelosi announced a formal impeachment inquiry was under way and the two weeks since the Intelligence Committee’s public hearings began, no one, even in the White House, has said anything like, “He wouldn’t do that!” or “That would be so unlike him.” His best friends know he would do it and it’s exactly like him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Fantine

Fantine Dona Quixote Supporter

+6,835
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    Who needs a defense when your accomplices are running the show in the Senate?

I have limited hopes in Chief Justice John Roberts, who knows it will be HIS name in the history books if he becomes part of the obstruction that began during the Mueller investigation and continued through the impeachment hearings. He knows how history will view this dark period of American history, and won't want to be a part of this shameful legacy.

I have limited hope that he will prevent McConnell from holding an un-trial--which is what Republicans would prefer, but only 51 votes can undo any of the rulings Robert can make.

Make sure your representatives in the Senate know that you want no cover ups! Hold rallies for "no cover up."

Finally, if your Senators don't do their jobs--deliver the right verdict at the polls. Send Trump home to Mar a Lago.

18. JohnAshton

+1,147
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    The fate of the Republic rests on Chief Justice Roberts.

19. Bobber

Bobber Well-Known Member

+724
    Non-Denom
    But it's not absolute proof in fact there's many other reasons why he potentially was showing a reservation towards quickly releasing the aid. And to your point anyway you look at it it's a speculative notion your putting forth and basic rule of law is you're innocent UNTIL proven guilty. Not guilty until proven innocent.

And to consider the precedent that would be set for the future about grounds to impeach a President....such a low level of evidence would be needed to remove any President. It should be considered this issue is so much bigger than President Trump.....what you do now is how the nation is built for the future.

I'd ask all to imagine some future American say 50 years from now being encouraged to run for office as people think he or she would be great but have them say, "No way! Not worth it! You can be impeached solely on people's speculation of anything that's been said regardless of whether I would have made a DIRECT statement to that effect!"

I'd think that'd be a crying shame as the nation wouldn't maybe have it's best and brightest willing to serve. People should strive to see the bigger picture. What type of nation are you leaving future Americans?

20. JohnAshton

+1,147
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    No, Bobber, there was no "many other reasons why he potentially was showing a reservation towards quickly releasing the aid."

But the attempt alone revealed Trump's intent to pervert the Constitution, which is a impeachable offense.