✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is probably a stupid question.

But why is Jesus called the Prince of Peace, but also says that he came to bring division in Luke 12:51 and in Matthew 10:34? That has confused a little bit.
To divide light from darkness reveals where one might find what real peace is.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

But why is Jesus called the Prince of Peace, but also says that he came to bring division in Luke 12:51 and in Matthew 10:34? That has confused a little bit.

They refer to two separet things.
He brings peace between man and God, but between believer and unbeliever there will always be division.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Hello Introverted1293:

That is a great question, and those verses you've cited do seem to smack of inconsistency when compared with each other, don't they?

At least this is what it looks like on first inspection when we compare the bit from Matthew with the other bit from Luke. However, I'd like to propose the following for your consideration:

Jesus didn't come to bring 'political' peace like that of the Pax Romana which Caesar Augustus inaugurated in the Roman Empire. He instead came to be the Prince of Peace according to God's Will, and the peace He offers requires that each one of us does our best to get on the same page about His identity as Lord and Savior BEFORE we can begin to have real social and spiritual peace not only with God, but also with each other.

So, in essence, we can say that Jesus REALLY DID come to bring peace........just not the kind that everyone is wanting these days, or even back then, especially the kind that comes by demanding peace on our own terms. :cool:

I know this sounds like it can be a tough pill for all of us to swallow, metaphorically speaking. And to some extent it is since that part about Jesus "not bringing peace but a sword" implies some kind of ideological conflict will be involved in the Christian life. But, however bad that sounds, we can know that the sword that He speaks of refers to His Word and not to carnal weapons of steel. [In fact, we see how the meaning of this begins to work itself throughout entire Book of Acts.]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

He preached, "Be harmless as a dove." Matthew 10:16

"If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn and offer the other cheek." Luke 6:29

Reactions: 1213
Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian

He's the Prince of Peace regarding reconciling us to God.

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Bringing the truth on earth causes some to fight against it and the supporters of truth. But still, he offers peace, some just don’t want it. However, disciples of Jesus will have peace, even if the world is against it.

Peace I leave with you. My peace I give to you; not as the world gives, give I to you. Don't let your heart be troubled, neither let it be fearful.
John 14:27

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
mod hat

moved to general theology as per sops

Sorry about that. I never know what section to put a thread in sometimes. There are threads that are obvious but some I do not know.

• Friendly
Reactions: Truthfrees
Upvote 0

Truthfrees

Site Supporter
May 20, 2015
✟277,188.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Sorry about that. I never know what section to put a thread in sometimes. There are threads that are obvious but some I do not know.
it is hard to know where to post sometimes - no problem my brother

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums