destls

Dec 4, 2016
Cali6
✟15,231.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Not sure if this is the right place to post. if not I'm sorry, please feel free to delete.
Back story, I grew up in church & dated one of the pastors grandsons. His Dad was a deacon & periodically would go preach for a few months at a different church & eventually became ordained & began to pastor in a town about 45mi away. He took his family with him & the older children married & began attending with their spouses. While we dated he knew I didn't want to leave my church. I was involved in bus ministry, children's church, in the choir, & taught a Sunday school class. we married & he came to church with me for a yr & then felt called of God to go back to the church his Dad pastored. so we went. we've been there for 7 yrs now. About 2 months ago he decided we could go back "home" we just needed to wait until they switched classes up at the end of the sunday school yr (he is a teacher). I got very excited because all of my family attends there & I began looking forward to being in church with them again. I told my sister in law & she said they were also going back home at that time. 4 wks ago one of the sunday school teachers quit unexpectedly & now my husband feels like we need to stay because his parents & the church will be short handed. I'm broken hearted & have no desire to be there. I'm not sure if I should push to go or work on my attitude & stay.

Andrewofthetribe

Sep 12, 2016
Oxford
✟24,758.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Not sure if this is the right place to post. if not I'm sorry, please feel free to delete.
Back story, I grew up in church & dated one of the pastors grandsons. His Dad was a deacon & periodically would go preach for a few months at a different church & eventually became ordained & began to pastor in a town about 45mi away. He took his family with him & the older children married & began attending with their spouses. While we dated he knew I didn't want to leave my church. I was involved in bus ministry, children's church, in the choir, & taught a Sunday school class. we married & he came to church with me for a yr & then felt called of God to go back to the church his Dad pastored. so we went. we've been there for 7 yrs now. About 2 months ago he decided we could go back "home" we just needed to wait until they switched classes up at the end of the sunday school yr (he is a teacher). I got very excited because all of my family attends there & I began looking forward to being in church with them again. I told my sister in law & she said they were also going back home at that time. 4 wks ago one of the sunday school teachers quit unexpectedly & now my husband feels like we need to stay because his parents & the church will be short handed. I'm broken hearted & have no desire to be there. I'm not sure if I should push to go or work on my attitude & stay.
Have you given your husband authority over yourself?

Upvote 0

Deadworm

May 26, 2016
Colville, WA 99114
✟68,313.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
As a retired UMC pastor, I have observed the best solution to such internal conflicts. "Jesus said, "Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also," and your "treasure" is buried in your former church that your family attends. In my church, 2 couples had to deal with the fact that one spouse was Catholic and the other a Methodist devotee. In both cases, each spouse attended their church of preference and then came to the other church after their service. Both churches developed an affection for the spouse from "the other church" and both marriages benefitted from the compromise. Work this out with your husband: there is no reason why you should be denied the right to follow your heart and "dig up your treasure."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Andrewofthetribe

Sep 12, 2016
Oxford
✟24,758.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
As a retired UMC pastor, I have observed the best solution to such internal conflicts. "Jesus said, "Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also," and your "treasure" is buried in your former church that your family attends. In my church, 2 couples had to deal with the fact that one spouse was Catholic and the other a Methodist devotee. In both cases, each spouse attended their church of preference and then came to the other church after their service. Both churches developed an affection for the spouse from "the other church" and both marriages benefitted from the compromise. Work this out with your husband: there is no reason why you should be denied the right to follow your heart and "dig up your treasure."
I never knew Jesus said this, thanks for the info, was he speaking specifically about family or anything where our hearts feel something is valuable?

Upvote 0

ChristianFromKazakhstan

Oct 9, 2016
ALMATY
✟29,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Obey your husband. Then you will earn million blessings that otherwise you will forfeit. Be with hum 100%. Otherwise, you're not a wife. If you love Jesus, then it shouldn't matter in which building or among whom you chose to praise and serve God. If you miss seeing your family, who attend your old church, then, why not find opportunities to spend more time with them? Open the doors of your house, and see them as often as you wish and can. Wanting to go back to your old church because of family is but betrayal of Jesus. He said, treat me higher than family. People are going to hell daily. And here we just value temporary things above all. Not fair! We go to church to see Jesus.

Upvote 0

Andrewofthetribe

Sep 12, 2016
Oxford
✟24,758.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Did Jesus tell women to obey their husbands? Why would she be blessed with all those blessings? Can you show me how you came to be of this opinion. Many thanks. How do we know people are going to hell daily? Surely that is not a message of hope that we received from Christ? Surely there is forgiveness and peace ?

Upvote 0

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟988,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I am Pentecostal, but not my dear wife who is a life-long liturgical church-goer. We have brought it up in our many visits to other churches, but still maintain the liturgical as home. So, that makes me less than Pentecostal? That makes me more Pentecostal than she is Liturgical, why. What could possibly keep me from finally not being brokenhearted as you now are feeling?

I'm broken hearted & have no desire to be there.

You’re right to question the positioning of your question here, and I am not permitted to mention any form of dissention from Pentecostal opinions. But I have existed with the above through years of patient endurance glory to God. Continue with Him on the matter, for some good info has already been supplied.

God bless!

Upvote 0