Single
I suppose there are a few ways in which a
believer can make sure the voice that is
talking to them is God. In this thread, I
want to describe one way I've discovered
that we can make sure what we're hearing is
from the Lord.

And that's simply waiting on God to back up
what He's saying with scriptural support.
It's really as easy as it sounds. So the next time
Holy Spirit whispers something to you about
your future or anything that pertains to your life,
wait on Him to also accompany it with verses
from the Bible.

Let's face it. Noone wants to get
it wrong. I think most of us would have to admit
that at some point in our walk, we got something
wrong or mixed up. This can quickly be
remedied by promises from His Word.

What I've found in this is that it also builds my faith.
There have been some things God has told me that
required only one backing promise from scripture
for me to hold on to and believe was from Him.
Other things He's told me have been so great that it's
required four backing scripture references to believe
were from Him. The bottom line is: Faith comes by
hearing and hearing by the Word of God.

PS - This is written to the sincere believer in Christ.
A lot of people (I guess believers and non-believers alike)
will want something so bad that they will arbitrarily
cherry-pick something from scripture so that it fits their desires.
This is not how this works. The same still small voice that
speaks is the same still small voice that will confirm by
using the Word of God. So the glory goes to God; not men.

PSS = Here's another secret. At one point or another you will hear
preachers or lay persons discuss the various ways in which God answers prayer.

The most common to these are:

1. Yes
2. No
3. Wait

May I propose to you that number 2 is incorrect. But when I say that, I'm talking to spiritual Christians who
choose to abide in Him and submit so that He abides in them. Now if you're not going to walk in the Word & Spirit then there may be times where He has to say no to you. But this is not His original intent. For His Word says that every promise in Him is YES and AMEN. So my encouragement to you is pray the promises and walk in them.

“God is not a man, that He should lie,
Nor a son of man, that He should change His mind.
Has He said, and will He not do?
Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good? -Numbers 23:19

One last thought here and that's on the reality of loss and hardship. We're all going to face troubled times. These are our tests to get us to the next level in our walk. The Bible says we go from faith to faith and glory to glory.
So my encouragement is this: Next time you face a loss in life. Choose to rejoice and praise Him thru it.
He doesn't take things away that He doesn't replace with things much better and wonderful.

Remember that. For His glory. Thanks for reading.

CaspianSails

Jan 30, 2019
Washington DC metro area
✟27,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Always an interesting thought. How do I know it is God's voice? Jesus said my sheep know my voice. But we can be more like Thomas or Gideon and want a sign. Humanity, how we need Christ.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So the next time
from the Bible.
Hmmm,
And he brought him to Jerusalem, and set him on a pinnacle of the temple, and said unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down from hence: For it is written, He shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee: And in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.
(Luk 4:9-11)

In this case the evil spirit quoted Scripture...but out of context.
Jesus had to correct the quote...
And Jesus answering said unto him, It is said, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.
(Luk 4:12)

Reactions: GospelS
Upvote 0

CaspianSails

Jan 30, 2019
Washington DC metro area
✟27,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hmmm,
And he brought him to Jerusalem, and set him on a pinnacle of the temple, and said unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down from hence: For it is written, He shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee: And in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.
(Luk 4:9-11)

In this case the evil spirit quoted Scripture...but out of context.
Jesus had to correct the quote...
And Jesus answering said unto him, It is said, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.
(Luk 4:12)

Good point. If what you heard is not in line with the Scripture then you know it is not of God. However, just because something is cloaked in the Word of God does not necessarily mean it is from God. Note also that satan used the scripture in a way that corrupted them. Thus the importance of knowing the word of God in a comprehensive way. As Paul told Timothy, study to show thyself approved unto God a workman that need not be ashamed.

• Agree
Reactions: crossnote
Upvote 0

YouAreAwesome

☝✌
Oct 17, 2016
Lismore, Australia
✟94,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I suppose there are a few ways in which a
believer can make sure the voice that is
talking to them is God. In this thread, I
want to describe one way I've discovered
that we can make sure what we're hearing is
from the Lord.

And that's simply waiting on God to back up
what He's saying with scriptural support.
It's really as easy as it sounds. So the next time
from the Bible.

Let's face it. Noone wants to get
it wrong. I think most of us would have to admit
that at some point in our walk, we got something
wrong or mixed up. This can quickly be
remedied by promises from His Word.

What I've found in this is that it also builds my faith.
There have been some things God has told me that
required only one backing promise from scripture
for me to hold on to and believe was from Him.
Other things He's told me have been so great that it's
required four backing scripture references to believe
were from Him. The bottom line is: Faith comes by
hearing and hearing by the Word of God.

PS - This is written to the sincere believer in Christ.
A lot of people (I guess believers and non-believers alike)
will want something so bad that they will arbitrarily
cherry-pick something from scripture so that it fits their desires.
This is not how this works. The same still small voice that
speaks is the same still small voice that will confirm by
using the Word of God. So the glory goes to God; not men.

PSS = Here's another secret. At one point or another you will hear
preachers or lay persons discuss the various ways in which God answers prayer.

The most common to these are:

1. Yes
2. No
3. Wait

May I propose to you that number 2 is incorrect. But when I say that, I'm talking to spiritual Christians who
choose to abide in Him and submit so that He abides in them. Now if you're not going to walk in the Word & Spirit then there may be times where He has to say no to you. But this is not His original intent. For His Word says that every promise in Him is YES and AMEN. So my encouragement to you is pray the promises and walk in them.

“God is not a man, that He should lie,
Nor a son of man, that He should change His mind.
Has He said, and will He not do?
Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good? -Numbers 23:19

One last thought here and that's on the reality of loss and hardship. We're all going to face troubled times. These are our tests to get us to the next level in our walk. The Bible says we go from faith to faith and glory to glory.
So my encouragement is this: Next time you face a loss in life. Choose to rejoice and praise Him thru it.
He doesn't take things away that He doesn't replace with things much better and wonderful.

Remember that. For His glory. Thanks for reading.

Friendly post,
Do you hear an actual voice? Or are you talking metaphorically? Following baptism I found a heightened sense of conscience. I began placing every tiny choice before Him in prayer. But over time I've learned to walk in Him without needing to be so deliberate about placing every decision before Him because His Presence is now the normal. In other words, if I'm about to do something He doesn't want me to do right now (could be as simple as go shopping) I'll feel uneasy about it. Or if I've forgotten something He might remind me. I cant really understand what you mean by testing His voice against the bible because there's nothing in the bible about shopping, or choosing a phone etc. Can you give an example?

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Like this thanks. For me..yes has to be written... God will always back up what He says by His word. And if I have to wonder doubt then its not of God. Now that depends on me. How am I living. If I am not fully with Him prayer, reading.. on and on then hearing will be harder.

And hearing.. how do you know? Like someone told me when I was very young which made no sense to me at the time. You know that you know that you know lol. That is so true. You just know.. the fact that GOD said through Christ my Sheep know my voice. In that.. there is no wonder no guess He said.. know my voice.

All good things come from God. Sometimes we can get stuck and if God does not talk to us the way we want.. well then you get what you believe. Me never heard a voice. And in all my life never cared if I did.

Oh and what Satan was doing was not what God ever does. That was used not tempt God no? So no the enemy does not do ANY good thing. He can't. A kingdom divide against its self will fall. He only comes to kill steal and destroy. And its always to twist what God says. And another way is .. God will ALWAYS use peace. Something Satan can never do.

Reactions: YouAreAwesome
Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Friendly post,
Do you hear an actual voice? Or are you talking metaphorically? Following baptism I found a heightened sense of conscience. I began placing every tiny choice before Him in prayer. But over time I've learned to walk in Him without needing to be so deliberate about placing every decision before Him because His Presence is now the normal. In other words, if I'm about to do something He doesn't want me to do right now (could be as simple as go shopping) I'll feel uneasy about it. Or if I've forgotten something He might remind me. I cant really understand what you mean by testing His voice against the bible because there's nothing in the bible about shopping, or choosing a phone etc. Can you give an example?
It's not a voice that's audible to other people obviously. But within side me it's a still small voice. That's best way I can describe Him.
I get what you're saying about relaxing on having Him direct your every move too. I love doing that. But lately He's putting more emphasis on just letting me do what's on my heart while still holding an override option if it's something He doesn't want me to do.

As for those who are saying the devil can cloak things within the Word too, that's true as well. But usually it doesn't make sense and always is a precursor to get someone to sin. All in all..When in doubt, it's best to wait and not haste with the feet. Or ask for more confirmation. (Which often comes from other Christians or other means)

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, Satan knows how to twist Scripture to make things seem acceptable, and suggests thoughts in our mind. Many false teachers led of Satan will also teach lies to us, so we need to know what "all the counsel of God" means, and to be "rightly dividing the Word of Truth" as God enjoins us. Satan is shown in our Bible to be "the deceiver". He truly cannot lay a hand on us, but is a master deceiver and whispers in our head. God speaks through His "immutable Word", and is spoken in our Bible as "the destroyer", which makes clear that to go contrary to Holy Scripture is inviting trouble, and will sooner or later bring hurts or destruction upon us ---here or hereafter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0