• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Confessional Lutheran Converts?

Discussion in 'LCMS / WELS / ELS / LCC' started by JM, May 24, 2020.

1. JM

JM Reformed Catholic Supporter

+2,611
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    CA-Others
    Just wondering, why did you convert to Lutheranism and from which faith or religion?

Yours in the Lord,

jm

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. TKA_TN

TKA_TN Member

+114
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    I grew up Presbyterian (PCA, then the church switched to EPC). Wandered into Evangelical Free for a little while, then found Lutheranism.

It’s Liturgical. The early church didn’t do “sing, sermon, sing, dismiss.” The early church did confession, Psalm, scripture, homily, prayers, Eucharist, dismiss.

It’s Jesus. Not these messages of “God has big plans for your life if you just accept Jesus into your heart.” I’d always thought that since I didn’t have this epiphany or emotional response, that maybe I wasn’t a Christian. Lutheranism changed that in that it’s not about some feeling or me choosing Christ, but Christ choosing me. Takes the pressure off of feeling despair. Lutheran pastors may not have the long, thought out sermons like some evangelical pastors, it you’ll always leave a Lutheran service knowing you’re a sinner, but Christ has saved you. Law and Gospel.

Tradition isn’t always a bad thing! Lutherans hold feasts, honor the Church Fathers, etc. if it doesn’t explicitly go against Scripture, Lutherans retained it. There’s a connection to the early church that other denominations seem to want to forget for whatever reason.

Think that’s about it for me. God bless.

3. Hope1960

Hope1960 Active Member

+112
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    It was between a ND church and the Lutheran one I go to, Lutheran won. It’s a non traditional church, similar to the ND church except we receive the Eucharist and pray more.

i left Catholicism because of sheer boredom. Catholics might say that my reason for leaving is a poor one, but that’s my reason.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  4. Daniel9v9

Daniel9v9

+873
    Japan
    Lutheran
    Married
    I originally come from a Charismatic/Pentecostal/non-denominational environment - and held to a loose Arminian-Baptist system, lazily dubbed "spiritual".

I've studied Orthodox Lutheran Theology with a confessional Lutheran church and was simply amazed and compelled by how Christological it is and how central the article of justification is to everything. In my opinion, there is no other theological system that expresses the Gospel as clearly as the Lutheran system does, with its careful distinctions of Law and Gospel, Justification and Sanctification, the uses of the Law, Coram Mundo and Coram Deo. Sin is properly taught and the Gospel is rightly conveyed. The sacraments, in Lutheran understanding, are entirely gifts from God, whereas all other theological systems to one degree or another change them into an act of obedience. Needless to say, there are many reasons that won me over to Lutheranism.

Not be too hard, but looking back at my days in Hillsong, I realise how little edification and substance there is in those churches. I've come to realise how important catechesis is - that is, to have a good foundational understanding of basic Christian ideas, such as who God is, who we are, what sin is, God's grace etc. We weren't really taught these things because they're "doctrine" and not practical, which is absurd and very sad. The notion of "No doctrine but Christ!" and "Deeds, not creeds!" etc which I used to cling to is tremendously shallow and even counter to the Christian faith.

In a word, I just find the orthodox Lutheran system incredibly clear, harmonious and truthful.

5. tampasteve

tampasteve ✞Steadfast Lutheran, Messianic leaning ✡ Staff Member Administrator CF Senior Ambassador Angels Team Supporter

+3,508
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others
    I came about from a long direction....Baptist - Methodist - Catholic - Lapse - Messianic - Lutheran.

I still self identify with some aspects of Messianic thought, but the Lutheran church and theology really work for me. Coming from a Catholic background also influences my choices of desiring a church with a liturgy and history to it. The Lutheran Divine Service is very similar superficially to a Catholic Mass, so that is appealing to me on a number of levels.

6. LutheranPiratesFan

LutheranPiratesFan New Member

+3
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    I'm an adult convert, grew up Catholic, was LDS for a years, am currently studying at a WELS Lutheran church. I prefer the high church aspects and theological conservatism of the WELS church over any other church I've visited.

7. tampasteve

tampasteve ✞Steadfast Lutheran, Messianic leaning ✡ Staff Member Administrator CF Senior Ambassador Angels Team Supporter

+3,508
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others
    That is great! I am happy you found a church that works for you, it is interesting, there are not that many high church WELS churches that I am aware of, so I am happy you were able to find one!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. LutheranPiratesFan

LutheranPiratesFan New Member

+3
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    Thank you my friend. I live about two hours north of Tampa, in pretty small town. I'm happy the church is near me too!