Almost Heaven
✟60,490.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know some Christian groups believe that you have to confess your sins to a pastor or a priest before being forgiven. Do Baptists believe that the pastor has authority to forgive sins? If not, what is the Baptist position on this?

Do any denominations outside the Roman Catholics believe this?

Upvote 0

abysmul

Board Game Hobbyist
Jun 17, 2008
Almost Heaven
✟60,490.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Eastern Orthodox, some Anglican Churches, and I believe the Lutheran Church. Although the Anglicans do not offer absolution.

Interesting, years ago there were some Lutherans that I knew and associated with, even attended some of their Sunday services, but I'd never heard that.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
abysmul said:
Interesting, years ago there were some Lutherans that I knew and associated with, even attended some of their Sunday services, but I'd never heard that.

Lutherans consider auricular confession optional, but encouraged.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
you can confess your sins to man until your face turns blue but without Godly repentance it will not mean anything at all .

it is to God you must admit what he already knows and ask forgiveness ,for it is against God you have sinned .

and the ONLY way you can come t God to do so -is through the LORD JESUS - not any man whatsoever .this is the truth .
---------------------------------
the only time another can forgive your sin ,is if it is that person you have sinned against and are confessing it to .

Upvote 0

Bella Vita

Sailor in the U.S.N
May 18, 2011
✟10,239.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We don't believe in confession as the Catholic church does. We believe in accountability as scripture calls for. A mere human being does not have the power to forgive sin only God does. But we do believe in meeting with a fellow believer one on one and holding one another accountable to their sin as well as praying and doing life together. This is something the body of Christ is called to do in scripture. We are called to hold fellow brothers and sisters in Christ accountable for their sin in a loving none judgmental way. But confessing and asking forgiveness from God is a one on one thing with an individual and God. Only God knows the heart of every individual.

Upvote 0

standingtall

Such is life....
Jan 5, 2012
✟1,535.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe all Apostolic Churches believe in the confession to a presbyter or an Episcopate.

Apostolic Churches are:
a. Catholic (united with Pope)
b. Eastern Orthodox (several self-governing)
c. Oriental Orthodox (5+ independent Churches)

* = not to be confused with the Apostolic Denomination.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BeckyBoop28

Apr 25, 2013
✟8,038.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Forgiveness only comes when you ask Jesus. He forgives past, present, and future when you ask Him to be the Lord of your life. He paid the debt of Sin for us when He died upon the cross. Conviction comes when we do not repent of sin and allow the sin to take root in our lives. Repent in prayer to Jesus. He forgives all sin.

Upvote 0

BeckyBoop28

Apr 25, 2013
✟8,038.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Jesus was the fulfillment of the prophecy of the Old testament. Yet the Jews did not acknowledge Him as the Messiah. Each church whether Catholic, Baptist, Presbyterian, or any other Christian church was founded upon faith. Faith that there is a one true God and that He will suffice our every need. Faith in God is the Key. Salvation is acknowledging that Jesus is Lord of your Life as He came as God in the flesh to make a pathway to God. Otherwise God would only see our sin and look away from us but Jesus covers that sin with His blood making the way for each of us. It is not a matter of how far a church's history is, it is only about how much God loves each of us. He is the Beginning, Alpha and Omega, and most importantly the Creator.

Upvote 0

savedfromdistruction

Dec 30, 2006
Texas
Visit site
✟8,870.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I know some Christian groups believe that you have to confess your sins to a pastor or a priest before being forgiven. Do Baptists believe that the pastor has authority to forgive sins? If not, what is the Baptist position on this?

I have never heard of a Baptist pastor who claims he can forgive sin. If you run into one then that is evidence he is a false teacher and lost. The same with anyone else who claims to forgive sin.

As for confessing sins to a pastor it is true that some people go to their pastor and tell them of some sin they are battling asking for prayer, but that is not the same a confessing sin. Baptists get this understanding from James 5:16.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jimmy P

Love me or Hate me, You'll never forget me...
Apr 20, 2013
The Hearts of My Loved Ones
✟138,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You're right Becky, He is the beginning...He began His church on Peter...which began 33 AD...when the Catholic church was formed, through Peter...

A Priest is a representative of Christ, because Jesus said that whatever you loose on earth is loosed in Heaven and whatever you bind on earth is bound in Heaven...so basically, whatever you forgive on earth is forgiven in Heaven...and whatever you don't forgive on earth is not forgiven in Heaven...
And who is Jesus talking to? Priests...

Yes, I have this Catholic icon, but I'm not Catholic yet...actually I guess technically, I'm still labeled Baptist...was Baptist from age 3 and how old am I now? 44...41 yrs...and I DO understand your thinking and why it bothers you...I've been there...I was the worst Catholic basher...believe me...
Whether you agree or not, God Bless You...we're still brothers and sisters...:)

Upvote 0

Jimmy P

Love me or Hate me, You'll never forget me...
Apr 20, 2013
The Hearts of My Loved Ones
✟138,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ok Tallguy, backing out...

But before I do, I won't try to sway any of you...I just not what happened in my case....and what's right for me...if you're meant to look into another way, it'll happen...
But feel free to PM me anytime, it's always great to have friends, more brothers and sisters...
Peace be with You...

Upvote 0

motherprayer

Elisha
Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
✟19,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

There is only one authority by which we receive forgiveness of sins, and that is Jesus Christ.
Hebrews 3:1 Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus;
Ephesians 1:7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;
Matthew 7:29 For he taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes.
1 Corinthians 3:21 Therefore let no man glory in men. For all things are yours;
Hebrews 7:25 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.

Upvote 0