Canada
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Good day,

I had a few questions to any Christians. I recently have been having a change of heart and want to accept Christ as my saviour. I grew going to Catholic School, but I was never baptized, and my family wasn't overly religious (although my father occasionally would attend church).

Regardless, I have recently been feeling like a missing aspect in my life, and I believe that missing aspect is Christ. I know however, my sins cannot come with me in this new life, and truthfully I live with regrets from my sins everyday. I have been looking into confessions, and how to talk to a Priest about it. But I read that a Priest cannot absolve you of any sins if you do not belong to the Catholic church. However, through this if I were to be baptized into the Catholic Church would that absolve me of the sins of that past? As I would begin my new journey following the teaching of God, or would I still need to repent for those sins of the past after baptism? Any advice that can be given would be sincerely appreciated!

Also! If anyone has any additional information that they would like to share about beginning a journey in Catholicism or Christianity as a whole I would be very happy to here it!

Thank you all!

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Welcome to Christian Forums!

I recommend you post this in One Bread One Body - the Catholic forum here on Christian Forums. They’d be able to answer some of your questions here :)

Upvote 0

Loren T.

Jun 26, 2018
Hadley
✟24,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
14 Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has ascended into heaven,[a] Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. 15 For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin. 16 Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

You don't need any mere man to confess your sins to. and Baptism doesn't save you.

" if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved." Romans 10:9
Jesus is all you need.

• Winner
Reactions: amariselle
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Good day,

I had a few questions to any Christians. I recently have been having a change of heart and want to accept Christ as my saviour. I grew going to Catholic School, but I was never baptized, and my family wasn't overly religious (although my father occasionally would attend church).

Regardless, I have recently been feeling like a missing aspect in my life, and I believe that missing aspect is Christ. I know however, my sins cannot come with me in this new life, and truthfully I live with regrets from my sins everyday. I have been looking into confessions, and how to talk to a Priest about it. But I read that a Priest cannot absolve you of any sins if you do not belong to the Catholic church. However, through this if I were to be baptized into the Catholic Church would that absolve me of the sins of that past? As I would begin my new journey following the teaching of God, or would I still need to repent for those sins of the past after baptism? Any advice that can be given would be sincerely appreciated!

Also! If anyone has any additional information that they would like to share about beginning a journey in Catholicism or Christianity as a whole I would be very happy to here it!

Thank you all!

First, if you've never been baptized there is little a priest can do for you, except help you to become baptized.

At baptism, all of your previous sins are blotted out, and you are expected to participate in the sacramental life of the church.

I'm not certain what you mean by repenting after baptism.

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Good day,

Thank you all!
Jesus is our high priest, though whom we are reconciled to God.

Heb 3:1 Therefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our confession, Christ Jesus,

Heb 2:17,18 Therefore, in all things He had to be made like His brethren, that He might be a merciful and faithful High Priest in things pertaining to God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people. For in that He Himself has suffered, being tempted, He is able to aid those who are tempted.

Heb 4:15 For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin.

1John 2:1,2 My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense— Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
The Great Northern Wilderness
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
As others have posted, our sins are not forgiven at the pronouncement of another fallible, mortal human being; our sins are forgiven in Christ and by His once for all sacrifice and our faith in Him. Jesus Christ is our Great High Priest, Mediator and Intercessor. We can come “boldly before the throne of Grace”. All believers are brethren. We do not have an earthly Levitical type priesthood as a the Jews did in the Old Testament under the “Old Covenant.”

Hebrews 4:
14 Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession.
15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.
16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
John 20:23 Jesus clearly gives his Apostles the authority to forgive sins

Baptism washes away all past sins

He gave them the authority and responsibility to preach the Gospel of Salvation by which sins are forgiven those who hear and believe. Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
[23]Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them; and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained.

He gave them the authority to forgive sins, He says that very clearly, this is something all the ancient churches agree about, the Roman Catholic, the Eastern Orthodox, the Coptic
These contradictory ideas were made up 1500 years after the establishment of the Church by Northern Europeans who had never even been to the Holy Land

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
[23]Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them; and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained.

He gave them the authority to forgive sins, He says that very clearly, this is something all the ancient churches agree about, the Roman Catholic, the Eastern Orthodox, the Coptic
These contradictory ideas were made up 1500 years after the establishment of the Church by Northern Europeans who had never even been to the Holy Land

Read the entire context and other Scriptures as well. Sins are forgiven in Christ and by His sacrifice offered on the cross, once for all. NOT by any earthly, human authority, but by the authority, blessing, grace and mercy of God.

The very end of that chapter confirms this, Jesus clearly says we have life in His name, through belief in Him.

John 20:
31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

Hebrews is also an excellent letter to confirm we are not under any earthly, Levitical type priesthood. And we also know from Scriptire that ALL believers are a “royal priesthood” offering “spiritual sacrifices” (our worship) to God.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Read the entire context and other Scriptures as well. Sins are forgiven in Christ and by His sacrifice offered on the cross, once for all. NOT by any earthly, human authority, but by the authority, blessing, grace and mercy of God.

The very end of that chapter confirms this, Jesus clearly says we have life in His name, through belief in Him.

John 20:
31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

Hebrews is also an excellent letter to confirm we are not under any earthly, Levitical type priesthood. And we also know from Scriptire that ALL believers are a “royal priesthood” offering “spiritual sacrifices” (our worship) to God.

We are a royal priesthood, but that language is used in the New Testament because that concept was already set up in the Old Testament with Israel being a royal priesthood, the Levitical priesthood was done away with, but it was replaced by the Aposolic priesthood.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Greetings, TheDonBar!

I'm so happy for you, that you want to accept Christ as your savior. To become a Christian, confess your sins to God in prayer (as best as you can remember them), commit yourself in prayer to following Christ as savior, and arrange to be baptized. The traditional view of baptism is that it washes away all prior sins, and you don't have to worry about them any more. You will, presumably, continue to sin after you are a Christian (as do we all), and for those sins, you will want to go through repentance and confession, either in private prayer or with a priest.

I recommend talking with a member of the clergy at the church that you would like to join. If you intend to be Catholic, then talk with a Catholic priest at a parish near you. Many churches (including the Catholic church) have a time of study and preparation for baptism for adult converts, so that you know what you're getting into before you commit to being a Christian.

Note that a priest can counsel you about beginning your faith journey and about wrestling with sins that trouble you, even if you have not yet been baptized. Good priests are counsellors as well as confessors.

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
We are a royal priesthood, but that language is used in the New Testament because that concept was already set up in the Old Testament with Israel being a royal priesthood, the Levitical priesthood was done away with, but it was replaced by the Aposolic priesthood.

A “royal priesthood of believers”, ALL believers, not just ordained priests. Christ is our High Priest, Mediator and Intercessor. There is no other intercessor between God and man.

• Agree
Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
AMBASSADOR HAT

Please remember to not debate theology and to only respond to the OP. Read the Christian Advice Statement of Purpose for more details. Thanks!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TheDonBar

TheDonBar
Aug 25, 2018
Sudbury
✟12,477.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Welcome to Christian Forums!

I recommend you post this in One Bread One Body - the Catholic forum here on Christian Forums. They’d be able to answer some of your questions here :)

Thank-you very much :)

• Friendly
Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0

TheDonBar

TheDonBar
Aug 25, 2018
Sudbury
✟12,477.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Greetings, TheDonBar!

I'm so happy for you, that you want to accept Christ as your savior. To become a Christian, confess your sins to God in prayer (as best as you can remember them), commit yourself in prayer to following Christ as savior, and arrange to be baptized. The traditional view of baptism is that it washes away all prior sins, and you don't have to worry about them any more. You will, presumably, continue to sin after you are a Christian (as do we all), and for those sins, you will want to go through repentance and confession, either in private prayer or with a priest.

I recommend talking with a member of the clergy at the church that you would like to join. If you intend to be Catholic, then talk with a Catholic priest at a parish near you. Many churches (including the Catholic church) have a time of study and preparation for baptism for adult converts, so that you know what you're getting into before you commit to being a Christian.

Note that a priest can counsel you about beginning your faith journey and about wrestling with sins that trouble you, even if you have not yet been baptized. Good priests are counsellors as well as confessors.

Thank you so much for this response :) It is sincerely appreciated! I see that you are Anglican, if at all possible could you inbox me about Anglican theology? If you have the time of course! Thank you again :)

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hello. Welcome to the forums and I hope everyone can help you with your questions.

Your past sins are forgiven by Christ upon believing in Jesus Christ, and confessing with your tongue that He is Lord and Savior.

All your sins were placed on Him when He was crucified and He's already paid the price...

You do need to actually believe in Jesus though, in His Life, death, and resurrection..

Then after confession that He is Lord, God will then set His seal on you of His Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thank you so much for this response :) It is sincerely appreciated! I see that you are Anglican, if at all possible could you inbox me about Anglican theology? If you have the time of course! Thank you again :)
Sure! I'll send you a private message and try to answer whatever questions you have.

• Friendly
Reactions: TheDonBar
Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Good day,

Thank you all!
As you have noticed, the Bible is interpreted differently by different people. Let me suggest that if you believe the Bible is from God that you examine the Scriptures for answers to such questions. People on this website can point out verses to read. Ask in prayer that God help you understand.

I suggest you read about how Jesus was our Kinsman-Redeemer which will give you something to visualize for what was needed for our salvation. You will notice that it is all about the redeemer and not about the person being redeemed. There isn't any action we can take that gets us saved. That's why we needed a Kinsman-Redeemer in the first place and how Jesus' death satisfied God's moral requirements for us to be reborn in Spirit. The rebirth is what God does for those who receive his Son; we are reborn in Christ. The Apostle Paul talks at length in many places making reference to no longer inheriting our nature from Adam but being reborn so that the new us inherits our nature from God (not tainted with sin). However, we need to genuinely believe Jesus is real and his death paid for our sins, otherwise we cannot be included in Christ.

And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, (Ephesians 1:13, 1984 NIV)

Salvation is not just acknowledging that Jesus is real and died for our sins. We must believe in him with the kind of belief that has us entrusting ourselves to him. That is the kind of belief referred to in John 3:16-18. We must accept Jesus as our Lord—the one who has the right to tell us what is right and what is wrong and to hold us accountable for doing what is right. If we believe in God but do not yield to his legitimate authority over us, then we are like the demons (James 2:19).

Baptism itself (an action done by two people) cannot save, but it has a spiritual impact on the one being baptized that mustn't be missed. Whether or not a person understands in what ways it is significant doesn't affect the fact that Jesus commanded believers to be baptized, and if a person accepts him as his God, then he will be baptized.

For those who want to receive the gift of salvation but don't feel they genuinely believe in Jesus, or wonder if they do, then give your heart to Jesus and be obedient to his commands. God will grant genuine belief for salvation in response to this. It is essential to confess your sins to God (1 John 1:9). It is valuable to confess one's sins to another person, as well, and perhaps sometimes essential (James 5:16), but that isn't what gets you forgiven by God.

Confessing their sins, they were baptized by him in the Jordan River. (Matthew 3:6, 1984 NIV)

Be sure you are entrusting yourself to the living Jesus Christ for salvation and not the church or any human words. Only Jesus will be sitting on the seat of judgment on Judgment Day.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheDonBar
Upvote 0