Houston
✟11,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Separated
John McArthur states (and I paraphrase it) that the mark of Christian growth is you sin less and less and grieve more and more when you do.

I do things all the time that are sinful and fall short of the perfection of God. Something as simple as fear, or thinking of self or reputation in the face of conflict can be sinful. Lashing out in anger or frustration?

I am not going to face judgment, but I will face Jesus. And I will weep in joy and gratitude of all the sins He saved me from

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,158.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Greetings my brothers and sisters in Christ. I come to you in Love and in the power of the Holy Spirit. There is a issue in the church today that I need to address and i'm asking for your views (backed by scripture of course). After you accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and you like 2 Cor 5:17 states "Become new" do you still confess your sins to God seeking forgiveness? I know the truth, I just wanna see what others have to say on the topic....
It is always good to discuss everything with God and keep short accounts with Him. This involves not only confessing sin, which, in reality is just talking with God about the sin. But it is good to discuss the causes and effects of the sin and ways to avoid the temptation in future.

Formal confessing of sin is just a mere religious act that has very little moral value to God. Statements like, "I confess my sin unto thee..." etc., is of little value. It is just a lot of religious gobbledegook. If I arrived home late without informing my wife, I wouldn't say to her, "I confess to thee that I did not text thee to say that I am going to arrive late home." She is going to look at me if I had lost my mind! But if I just said, "Sorry, I didn't text you. I forgot and by the time I remembered, I was driving" she would accept that without any further conflict.

Being honest and open with God about everything in your life makes it unnecessary to do any formal confessing of sin, because all this comes as part of your on-going fellowship with God. We celebrate our successes with Him, and we talk about our failures. We discuss our hopes, dreams, and aspirations. This is all in the context of our normal everyday fellowship with God. If we have struck out concerning a temptation, which happens to all of us on a regular basis, this comes up as part of our normal fellowship with Him. That's what confession is all about - just talking with God about the issue. The result of the conversation is 1 John 1:9.

Actually the word "confess" in this context is an antiquated 17th Century word that has become part of religious jargon. In reality, "confession" is another term for disclosure. It is the opposite of withholding information. But because all things are open to God, including our sins and failures, we demonstrate our faith and trust in Him by disclosing all these things to Him and work with Him to gain victory over the areas which we need the strength and endurance to withstand temptation.

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟763,513.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I still confess when I err in order to receive admonition and continue in sanctification, but I know that my sin is ultimately washed away by the blood of the Lamb of God and that I am justified before God through Jesus.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Greetings my brothers and sisters in Christ. I come to you in Love and in the power of the Holy Spirit. There is a issue in the church today that I need to address and i'm asking for your views (backed by scripture of course). After you accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and you like 2 Cor 5:17 states "Become new" do you still confess your sins to God seeking forgiveness? I know the truth, I just wanna see what others have to say on the topic....
According to Romans 7 after being born again, there is sin being produced by our bodies.
According to 1st John if we confess our sins God is faithful to forgive them and cleanse us of all unrighteousness.
I'd say confessing sin takes on a more redemptive outlook after being made new.

Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The sacrament of reconciliation is not common within the Anglican Church but those of us who belong to religious orders do receive the blessing of reconciliation as a matter of fact it is part of my personal rule of life to at go to confession at least once a year. I must admit the first time I did go to confession way back in my late teens I was very nervous but no longer, actually people spend a lot of money going to professional health care providers to unload their burdens but you can do it for next to nothing if you unload them on your local priest. In the Anglican tribe we have a saying about confession:

All can, None Must, some Should.... :)

Upvote 0

shaheem white

Greetings in the Matchless Name Of Jesus!!!!!!
Jul 22, 2017
Newark
✟40,348.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
According to Romans 7 after being born again, there is sin being produced by our bodies.
According to 1st John if we confess our sins God is faithful to forgive them and cleanse us of all unrighteousness.
I'd say confessing sin takes on a more redemptive outlook after being made new.
we don't confess our sins as believers to be forgiven. we are forgiven when we accept Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior. as a believer i confess my sins but not for forgiveness, i confess them and ask God to continue to aide me through the power of the Holy Spirit so as not to continue in that behavior. there is a difference in confessing sins when your born again

Upvote 0

shaheem white

Jul 22, 2017
Newark
✟40,348.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
So you've been saved. Now you can do anything you want with no remorse, guilt, or conviction? Also, you never sin now? Ever? Do you even have need for the Holy Spirit at this point?
my sister understand that now that your saved you have the Holy Spirit and your being renewed daily so your not gonna wanna do what you want. 'How can he who is dead to sin, live in it any longer?" (romans 6). I sin, but guess what? when I was a sinner i lived in sin, I practiced it day by day! but know that I'm a new creation in Christ I no longer have a desire to live in sin or practice it. I yield to the Spirit by the grace of God. does it happen all the time? No, but there is a difference in my life now that I have Jesus!!!! I am forgiven and I don't need to ask God everyday to forgive me because the day I accepted Jesus Christ I was forgiven once and for all..... but i get what your trying to say

Upvote 0

shaheem white

Jul 22, 2017
Newark
✟40,348.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It is always good to discuss everything with God and keep short accounts with Him. This involves not only confessing sin, which, in reality is just talking with God about the sin. But it is good to discuss the causes and effects of the sin and ways to avoid the temptation in future.

Formal confessing of sin is just a mere religious act that has very little moral value to God. Statements like, "I confess my sin unto thee..." etc., is of little value. It is just a lot of religious gobbledegook. If I arrived home late without informing my wife, I wouldn't say to her, "I confess to thee that I did not text thee to say that I am going to arrive late home." She is going to look at me if I had lost my mind! But if I just said, "Sorry, I didn't text you. I forgot and by the time I remembered, I was driving" she would accept that without any further conflict.

Being honest and open with God about everything in your life makes it unnecessary to do any formal confessing of sin, because all this comes as part of your on-going fellowship with God. We celebrate our successes with Him, and we talk about our failures. We discuss our hopes, dreams, and aspirations. This is all in the context of our normal everyday fellowship with God. If we have struck out concerning a temptation, which happens to all of us on a regular basis, this comes up as part of our normal fellowship with Him. That's what confession is all about - just talking with God about the issue. The result of the conversation is 1 John 1:9.

Actually the word "confess" in this context is an antiquated 17th Century word that has become part of religious jargon. In reality, "confession" is another term for disclosure. It is the opposite of withholding information. But because all things are open to God, including our sins and failures, we demonstrate our faith and trust in Him by disclosing all these things to Him and work with Him to gain victory over the areas which we need the strength and endurance to withstand temptation.
Thanks for this response but I don't think you got what I was pointing out. I confess my sins or shortcomings or how you put it "disclose" to God everyday but as a believer, a born again christian! I don't confess in order to receive forgiveness because I already received forgiveness the moment I accepted Jesus as my Lord and savior... thanks for your input

Upvote 0

shaheem white

Jul 22, 2017
Newark
✟40,348.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Would confessing our sins help us to keep from doing the same sin again?
Would confessing to a fellow Christian help them to help us with our sins?
We may not have to confess our sins to other Christians, but is there anything against doing it?
i agree with you 100% confession as a believer has it's purpose, and there is nothing wrong with it. I confess to God everyday but the thing is I don't confess when the expectation of receiving forgiveness because I already received forgiveness when I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior. His one sacrifice was enough I don't have to keep putting him on the cross!!!! God bless you and thanks for your input

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

shaheem white

Jul 22, 2017
Newark
✟40,348.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I agree with Jay.

However, there are some today who would like us to believe that 1 John 1 was written to unbelievers only. They say this in an attempt to support what I believe to be their errant reading of 1 John 3, and their presupposition that true Christians cannot sin, and therefore, have no reason to continue to ask for forgiveness.

1 John 2, from its opening phrase tells us otherwise however, that the Apostle was addressing believers (not unbelievers) in 1 John 1 (believers of all levels of maturity in the faith, in fact .. see 1 John 1:8 - 2:14 below).

1 John 1
8 If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
10 If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

1 John 2
1 My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.
2 He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world.
3 And by this we know that we have come to know him, if we keep his commandments.
4 Whoever says “I know him” but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him,
5 but whoever keeps his word, in him truly the love of God is perfected. By this we may know that we are in him:
6 whoever says he abides in him ought to walk in the same way in which he walked.
7 Beloved, I am writing you no new commandment, but an old commandment that you had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word that you have heard.
8 At the same time, it is a new commandment that I am writing to you, which is true in him and in you, because the darkness is passing away and the true light is already shining.
9 Whoever says he is in the light and hates his brother is still in darkness.
10 Whoever loves his brother abides in the light, and in him there is no cause for stumbling.
11 But whoever hates his brother is in the darkness and walks in the darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes.

12 I am writing to you, little children,
because your sins are forgiven for his name’s sake.
13 I am writing to you, fathers,
because you know him who is from the beginning.
I am writing to you, young men,
because you have overcome the evil one.
I write to you, children,
because you know the Father.
14 I write to you, fathers,
I write to you, young men,
because you are strong,
and the word of God abides in you,
and you have overcome the evil one.​

Yours and His,
David
Chapter one was addressing unbelievers, he begins to turn to believers in chapter 2.. thanks for your input.. God Bless

Reactions: lettuce
Upvote 0

shaheem white

Jul 22, 2017
Newark
✟40,348.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The walking in darkness it's referring to, I think it refers especially to His Torah. His Torah is a light to our feet, so if we continue in ways not His Own, then we don't have fellowship with Him. Because sin, is only described biblically as the transgression of God's Holy Law (His Torah).

So, to walk in darkness, is to sin, to sin, is to disobey torah - e.g., walking in darkness is the walking in ways not depicted for us in His Torah, His Word. Will it save us? No, because we still sin, but our faith in Yahushua (Jesus) is what saves us and cleanses us from all unrighteousness.

I like your point you bring up though Shaheem, also, I like your name! What's it mean?
thanks you.. my name means Intelligence

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟821,759.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I can't give scripture right now, in bath, but I'd like to give my opinion, based on God's guidance.

I know that I am forgiven already but I still feel the need to confess my weaknesses and continue to seek the Spirit's help in learning to walk better.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,867.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Chapter one was addressing unbelievers, he begins to turn to believers in chapter 2.. thanks for your input.. God Bless
No, the Apostle tells us precisely who 1 John 1 was written to beginning with the opening phrase of 1 John 2:1, and in the following 14 verses as well. 1 John 1 was addressed to "believers" (of all levels of maturity in the church), NOT to unbelievers (as the Apostle makes clear for us, and as I pointed out clearly in my first post here: Confessing Sin!).

Just in case you missed them, here again are the words of St. John:

1 John 1
9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

1 John 2
1 My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.
2 He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world.
3 And by this we know that we have come to know him, if we keep his commandments.
4 Whoever says “I know him” but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him,
5 but whoever keeps his word, in him truly the love of God is perfected. By this we may know that we are in him:
6 whoever says he abides in him ought to walk in the same way in which he walked.
7 Beloved, I am writing you no new commandment, but an old commandment that you had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word that you have heard.
8 At the same time, it is a new commandment that I am writing to you, which is true in him and in you, because the darkness is passing away and the true light is already shining.
10 Whoever loves his brother abides in the light, and in him there is no cause for stumbling.
11 But whoever hates his brother is in the darkness and walks in the darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes.

because you are strong,
and you have overcome the evil one.
--David
p.s. - I sorry to keep harping on this Shaheem (quite frankly, I'd rather just agree to disagree), and I'm really not trying to be contrary (as I believe, along with you, that our sins were all atoned for at the foot of the Cross), but I think there is more to this command than we may know (IOW, the command for believers to continue to ask for the forgiveness of their sins), or God wouldn't have made it. The fact that the command was given is enough for me to want to obey it, whether or not I know and/or fully understand the reason why it was given :preach:

James 5
13 Is anyone among you suffering? Then he must pray. Is anyone cheerful? He is to sing praises.
14 Is anyone among you sick? Then he must call for the elders of the church and they are to pray over him, banointing him with oil in the name of the Lord;
15 and the prayer offered in faith will brestore the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up, and if he has committed sins, they will be forgiven him.
16 Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another so that you may be healed. The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

shaheem white

Jul 22, 2017
Newark
✟40,348.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I can't give scripture right now, in bath, but I'd like to give my opinion, based on God's guidance.

I know that I am forgiven already but I still feel the need to confess my weaknesses and continue to seek the Spirit's help in learning to walk better.
I agree! I confess my areas of weakness every night but I don't confess them for God to forgive me because He already did when I accepted Jesus' sacrifice and was washed with the blood! I confess and ask God to continue to guide lean direct and strengthen me as I fight the good fight of faith!! God Bless

Reactions: Yarddog
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

EnergonWaffles

Oct 11, 2017
Athens
✟16,199.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I believe it's clear from the 1st paragraph that John is writing to believers, though.

He isn't writing to convince non-believers to believe in Jesus. He's writing to believers about how to walk out their faith and remain in Jesus. Thats the theme of the whole letter - how you, as a believer, can remain in Jesus and have fellowship with other believers.

"that which we have seen and heard we declare to you, that you also may have fellowship with us; and truly our fellowship is with the Father and with His Son Jesus Christ. 4 And these things we write to you that your joy may be full."

What did John see and hear that he is now declaring to them? John is passing on what Jesus spoke in the upper room in John 14-17. He even uses the exact same phrases Jesus does. Compare the two. 1 John is literally a mini sermon on John 14-17. Check out John 15:9-11! :D

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
we don't confess our sins as believers to be forgiven. we are forgiven when we accept Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior. as a believer i confess my sins but not for forgiveness, i confess them and ask God to continue to aide me through the power of the Holy Spirit so as not to continue in that behavior. there is a difference in confessing sins when your born again
I agree there's a difference, but I see sin like a substance at work behind the scenes.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,867.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Here's a small bit of commentary on the Epistle that may be helpful by "setting the stage" for 1 John in general.

In light of the circumstances of the epistle, the overall theme of 1 John is “a recall to the fundamentals of the faith” or “back to the basics of Christianity.” The apostle deals with certainties, not opinions or conjecture. He expresses the absolute character of Christianity in very simple terms; terms that are clear and unmistakable, leaving no doubt as to the fundamental nature of those truths. A warm, conversational, and above all, loving tone occurs, like a father having a tender, intimate conversation with his children.

First John also is pastoral, written from the heart of a pastor who has concern for his people. As a shepherd, John communicated to his flock some very basic, but vitally essential, principles reassuring them regarding the basics of the faith. He desired them to have joy regarding the certainty of their faith rather than being upset by the false teaching and current defections of some (1:4).

The book’s viewpoint, however, is not only pastoral but also polemical; not only positive but also negative. John’s refutes the defectors from sound doctrine, exhibiting no tolerance for those who pervert divine truth. He labels those departing from the truth as “false prophets” (4:1), “those who try to deceive” (2:26; 3:7), and “antichrists” (2:18). He pointedly identifies the ultimate source of all such defection from sound doctrine as demonic (4:1–7).

The constant repetition of 3 sub-themes reinforces the overall theme regarding faithfulness to the basics of Christianity: happiness (1:4), holiness (2:1), and security (5:13). By faithfulness to the basics, his readers will experience these 3 results continually in their lives. These 3 factors also reveal the key cycle of true spirituality in 1 John: a proper belief in Jesus produces obedience to His commands; obedience issues in love for God and fellow believers (e.g., 3:23, 24). When these 3 (sound faith, obedience, love) operate in concert together, they result in happiness, holiness and assurance. They constitute the evidence, the litmus test, of a true Christian. ~MacArthur, J., Jr. 1 John, commentary.

Yours and His,
David

Upvote 0

ConvictionofGod

לא תרצח‎ (δεν θα μπορείτε να σκοτώσει)
Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2017
Milpitas
✟56,066.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

it is mandatory to confess your sins to God, even if you had the most perfect day and you cannot think of a second, when you even began to sin, ask for forgiveness because what you think you know, and what God KNOWS will always be different, so kneel and ask your Father for forgiveness, let never a day go by without prayer, because God help us if we die in sin.

Upvote 0

shaheem white

Jul 22, 2017
Newark
✟40,348.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
No, the Apostle tells us precisely who 1 John 1 was written to beginning with the opening phrase of 1 John 2:1, and in the following 14 verses as well. 1 John 1 was addressed to "believers" (of all levels of maturity in the church), NOT to unbelievers (as the Apostle makes clear for us, and as I pointed out clearly in my first post here: Confessing Sin!).

Just in case you missed them, here again are the words of St. John:

1 John 1

1 John 2

because you are strong,
and you have overcome the evil one.
--David
p.s. - I sorry to keep harping on this Shaheem (quite frankly, I'd rather just agree to disagree), and I'm really not trying to be contrary (as I believe, along with you, that our sins were all atoned for at the foot of the Cross), but I think there is more to this command that we may know (IOW, the command for believers to continue to ask for the forgiveness of their sins), or God wouldn't have made it. The fact that the command was given is enough for me to want to obey it, whether or not I know and/or fully understand the reason why it was given :preach:

James 5
13 Is anyone among you suffering? Then he must pray. Is anyone cheerful? He is to sing praises.
14 Is anyone among you sick? Then he must call for the elders of the church and they are to pray over him, banointing him with oil in the name of the Lord;
15 and the prayer offered in faith will brestore the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up, and if he has committed sins, they will be forgiven him.
16 Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another so that you may be healed. The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much.
i have no problem agreeing to disagree my brother. it's perfectly fine.. God Bless and thank you so much for your input

Upvote 0