confecting the body, blood, soul and divinity of Christ?

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Quote from CCC: 1374
Quote:
The mode of Christ's presence under the Eucharistic species is unique. It raises the Eucharist above all the sacraments as "the perfection of the spiritual life and the end to which all the sacraments tend."201 In the most blessed sacrament of the Eucharist "the body and blood, together with the soul and divinity, of our Lord Jesus Christ and, therefore, the whole Christ is truly, really, and substantially contained.

==================

“powers” of the RC Priest retained after excommunication

The following discussion is a quote from:
Catholic Digest – Jan 1995, pg 126

Q: Our former priest has been excommunicated from the Roman Catholic Church and h as opened his own Church, which he calls “Christ Catholic Mission”. He now has some kind of connection with what he calls the “Catholic Church of God and Christ” with headquarters in Missouri. More and more people are attending his church. Some are former Catholics, but those I asked did not know whether this priest still had the power of consecrating the bread and wine for Communion. Does he? M.M

A.Yes. But he commits a grave sin of disobedience if he is excommunicated… The priest’s Consecration can be valid, that is, there can be the real change of bread and wine INTO the body and blood of Christ, but it is illicit because of his excommunication and brings him no actual graces.

You sometimes hear that the reason the Church recognizes the validity of an excommunicated priest’s Mass, and his continuing power to forgive sin, is the salvation of the dying in cases of necessity. But the deeper reason is the mark of the Holy Orders, along with Baptism and Confirmation, puts on the soul.

Of course “Mark on the soul” is just a figure of speech to indicate the difference between the baptized and the nonbaptized , the confirmed and the nonconfirmed, the ordained and the nonordained. Once the status of a soul is established by any of the three sacraments, it cannot be changed by any human power so as to be like it was before the reception of these sacraments.

The apostate
priest does not lose the power to confect the Eucharist or forgive sins through the sacrament of Penance. He does, by his apostasy, lose the power to do these things licitly, without sin.

========== The following is a quote of John Paul II ===========
The priest offers the holy Sacrifice in persona Christi; this means more than offering "in the name of' or "in place of" Christ. In persona means in specific sacramental identification with "the eternal High Priest"[42] who is the author and principal subject of this sacrifice of His, a sacrifice in which, in truth, nobody can take His place. Only He -- only Christ -- was able and is always able to be the true and effective "expiation for our sins and . . . for the sins of the whole world."[43] Only His sacrifice -- and no one else's -- was able and is able to have a "propitiatory power" before God, the Trinity, and the transcendent holiness. Awareness of this reality throws a certain light on the character and significance of the priest celebrant who, by confecting the holy Sacrifice and acting "in persona Christi," is sacramentally (and ineffably) brought into that most profound sacredness, and made part of it, spiritually linking with it in turn all those participating in the eucharistic assembly.

CATHOLIC LIBRARY: Dominicae Cenae (1980)

Dominicae Cenae

On the Mystery and Worship of the Eucharist
His Holiness Pope John Paul II
Promulgated on February 24, 1980

To All the Bishops of the Church.

========================

What say you?

(updated to add underline and highlight for parts that some folks are missing)

Last edited:

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I posted this --- (the following) but what say you?

===============================

I've heard it said Mass is biblical and links like the following are cited:
THE MASS IN THE VISION OF THE REVELATION OF ST. JOHN

What I see is a mash up of verses in Revelation acted out in some sort of tableau style—can that be called biblical? I know it all points to biblical meaning when dissected (as the link above points) but it seems like a cheat to say Mass is biblical as the actual event is not found in the bible.

The Bible does not support the doctrines taught in the Mass.

1. No earthly priests after the cross (Hebrews 7)
2. No powers of the earthly priest - if no priest.
3. No ongoing sacrifice of Christ -- it was "once for all time" Hebrews 10:12 "Otherwise He would need to suffer often" Hebrews 9
4. Forgiveness of sin only comes from Christ - not earthly priest - Acts 4:12
5. No mediator between God and man- except Christ - 1 Timothy 2
no "confecting the body soul blood and divinity of Christ" by any human... nor does God Himself engage in such a thing.

as far as "what we eat" in the communion service "eating literal flesh and blood is worthless - it is My WORDs that have Spirit and LIFE" John 6:63

"the WORD became flesh and dwelt among us" John 1

Think about it - a "memorial" service has no need to "confect the body, blood, soul..." of the person... but an ongoing-repeated sacrifice needs the body,blood,soul,divinity of Christ in the sacrifice.

Hebrews 10:12 "sacrificed once for all time" not "once and ongoing"

12 but He, having offered one sacrifice for sins for all time, sat down at the right hand of God

He moves to the next phase "He sat down at the right hand of God" not "he continues to have anything to do with being sacrificed over and over by whoever claims to confect his body blood soul and divinity"

Which is what I said. The Catholic church claims to be offering the same sacrifice, repeatedly. Yet, Scripture says plainly that it was offered ONCE.

Indeed.. in fact "once for all time" and then He "Sat down at the right hand of God" -- rather than "still looking to be sacrificed each time someone claims to confect the body blood soul and divinity of Christ".

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: amariselle
Upvote 0

Mark_Sam

Veteran Newbie
Mar 12, 2011
✟54,249.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
What say you?
Yep, that seems to sum up Catholic teaching on this point (powers of an excommunicated priest). What about it?

I posted this --- (the following) but what say you?
The following? Typical Protestant misrepresentation and misunderstandings of Catholic doctrine. What about it?

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟336,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You sometimes hear that the reason the Church recognizes the validity of an excommunicated priest’s Mass, and his continuing power to forgive sin, is the salvation of the dying in cases of necessity. But the deeper reason is the mark of the Holy Orders, along with Baptism and Confirmation, puts on the soul.

Of course “Mark on the soul” is just a figure of speech to indicate the difference between the baptized and the nonbaptized , the confirmed and the nonconfirmed, the ordained and the nonordained. Once the status of a soul is established by any of the three sacraments, it cannot be changed by any human power so as to be like it was before the reception of these sacraments.....
What say you?
Says to me the confiscation of the new creation contained only within the priesthood. True but daring to block entrance from those who have that anyway.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Also wouldn't that just mean that x-rcc are just protestant exceptions, like brothers from a different mother, I think they say, or something like that.

Not like protestants in that protestants have no "powers" - just the actual Bible.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Yep, that seems to sum up Catholic teaching on this point (powers of an excommunicated priest). What about it?

The following? Typical Protestant misrepresentation and misunderstandings of Catholic doctrine. What about it?

"and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." - John 8:32

Bible details "matter"

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
BobRyan said:
Not like protestants in that protestants have no "powers" - just the actual Bible.

I've never understood what they meant in saying that.

There is a quote in the OP about the "powers" that the apostate Catholic priest does not "lose" or still "retains" after having gone into apostasy.

Protestants have no such "powers". And I am pretty sure all Protestants will agree with that. Protestants have the test of all doctrine and tradition "sola scriptura" -- instead.

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
The Great Northern Wilderness
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I truly think it is unfortunate that many Catholics will accuse Protestants and Evangelicals of “misrepresenting” their religion and failing to understand it, even when said Protestants and Evangelicals go directly to official Catholic sources in regard to a particular subject (such as the Mass).

It’s just easier to dismiss the Biblical objections with a comment like “you really do not understand what Catholics teach or believe.” That way no honest examination and discussion of specific doctrines and practices is possible.

Which, as I said before, is unfortunate.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟336,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There is a quote in the OP about the "powers" that the apostate Catholic priest does not "lose" or still "retains" after having gone into apostasy.

Protestants have no such "powers". And I am pretty sure all Protestants will agree with that. Protestants have the test of all doctrine and tradition "sola scriptura" -- instead.
The power they are claiming is that of the new creation/grace which is the power that are to believers. Protestant/Catholic/Salvation Armiest/ and whatever other categories anyone wants to divide it into. Grace is the power. I don't know how else to say that. No one has claims to exclusive rights to the new creation, which, if you get to the bare meaning of ordination, the saying is that only ordination by laying on of hands, produces new creations, nothing else. Actually that would be a great thread title if anyone wants to tackle that.
BobRyan said:

Of course “Mark on the soul” is just a figure of speech to indicate the difference between the baptized and the nonbaptized , the confirmed and the nonconfirmed, the ordained and the nonordained. Once the status of a soul is established by any of the three sacraments, it cannot be changed by any human power so as to be like it was before the reception of these sacraments.....
What say you?
"~Cassia~, post: 72718147, member: 138827"
Says to me the confiscation of the new creation contained only within the priesthood. True but daring to block entrance from those who have that anyway.

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
The Great Northern Wilderness
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

I'm not sure there is much of an issue here. In the eyes of the RCC, no Protestant minister has the ability to conduct a valid Mass, but they all are officiating at Communion services, so why would an excommunicated Catholic priest be different?

And unless I missed it, the OP says nothing about an apostate priest, although you say here that it did.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
And unless I missed it, the OP says nothing about an apostate priest, although you say here that it did.
I'd say you missed it. Post1 in this thread has several paragraphs concerning excommunicated priest(s). It begins,

"“powers” of the RC Priest retained after excommunication

Q: Our former priest has been excommunicated from the Roman Catholic Church and h as opened his own Church.."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Q: Our former priest has been excommunicated from the Roman Catholic Church and h as opened his own Church, which he calls “Christ Catholic Mission”. He now has some kind of connection with what he calls the “Catholic Church of God and Christ” with headquarters in Missouri. More and more people are attending his church. Some are former Catholics, but those I asked did not know whether this priest still had the power of consecrating the bread and wine for Communion. Does he? M.M

A.Yes. But he commits a grave sin of disobedience if he is excommunicated… The priest’s Consecration can be valid, that is, there can be the real change of bread and wine INTO the body and blood of Christ, but it is illicit because of his excommunication and brings him no actual graces.

Of course “Mark on the soul” is just a figure of speech to indicate the difference between the baptized and the nonbaptized , the confirmed and the nonconfirmed, the ordained and the nonordained. Once the status of a soul is established by any of the three sacraments, it cannot be changed by any human power so as to be like it was before the reception of these sacraments.

The apostate priest does not lose the power to confect the Eucharist or forgive sins through the sacrament of Penance. He does, by his apostasy, lose the power to do these things licitly, without sin.

As I said, there is no mention of an APOSTATE priest, although Bob claimed there was and made it part of his thinking.

Is this you engaged in creative writing?? I see you "quote you" and then arrange it into false accusation... is that supposed to be "compelling"??

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure there is much of an issue here. In the eyes of the RCC, no Protestant minister has the ability to conduct a valid Mass, .

Indeed - that is not the part I would expect to see any complaints about - by either Protestants or Catholics.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Ok so then you "missed it"

The apostate priest does not lose the power to confect the Eucharist or forgive sins through the sacrament of Penance. He does, by his apostasy, lose the power to do these things licitly, without sin.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There is no reference to the status of apostate priests in your OP, Bob. Just deal with that. Otherwise, the whole of your point is in error on its face.

And instead of re-posting parts of the OP that do NOT mention apostate priests, try posting a segment that does! If you want to show me that I missed something, that is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
What part of this are you missing ??

"Q: Our former priest has been excommunicated from the Roman Catholic Church and h as opened his own Church, which he calls “Christ Catholic Mission”....

"The apostate priest does not lose the power to confect the Eucharist or forgive sins through the sacrament of Penance. He does, by his apostasy, lose the power to do these things licitly, without sin."

Upvote 0