Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yeah I'm trying to get a computer about $500 or less.

You can definitely find Dell and HP machines in that price bracket. They won't be blindingly fast, but they'll do the job.

Reactions: Christgirl67
Upvote 0

Christgirl67

Apr 9, 2017
N/A
✟41,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
Does anyone have any recommendations for a computer?Or any stores who sell computers?I need a new laptop for college.

I have an older Microsoft Surface Tablet Pro that I really like, and that I still use when I travel. I has been 100 percent reliable over the years. My daughter has been a Windows person forever, but she recently just purchased a small Apple portable which she thoroughly loves. It automatically syncs with her iPhone and her new apple watch too so she can setup a reminder on whatever device she's using at the time, and she gets the reminder on whatever device she's using when the reminder comes up. She's able to do all the thing things she wants to do on the Apple.

I've personally been very happy with with a 17 inch HP laptop that has never given me any trouble. The only machine I didn't care for was a Dell laptop that kept overheating on me all the time.

I would also avoid tablets with less than 64 gigs of disk storage since I've had trouble with 32 gig units not updating Windows 10 properly even with an external 64 gig card installed. Other than that, I've been very happy with different off brand units over the years too.

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You can definitely find Dell and HP machines in that price bracket. They won't be blindingly fast, but they'll do the job.

I've used Dell computers for years, and without serious problems. I prefer mid towers to upgrade components at later dates. Before switching to Dell, I built a couple of systems. Before that, my first PC was a used PC from a local computer store. I switched to Dell, because I could not build an equivalent PC for near the price. From what little I keep up with on technology though, seems things are looking on the up and up for building PC's again, but then again check out Raspberry Pi and price/performance comparisons with the current generation of AMD Ryzen CPU/GPU processors. Over saturation of technology is a win win for consumers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I just happen to be considering Raspberry PI, what I've learned about it is it's a very cool emulator. So with the right computer you can play any game, Playstation, XBox, or whatever. You can also get a lot of the older Nintendo and arcade games, so where one guy online had built and arcade style case. The way he described it you could play any of the old arcade games and it doesn't even cost you a quarter. Processors are getting much better and multicore is ideal for gaming or if you just need a lot of processing power. I have some 3D models I would like to put into animation but compiling is apparently time consuming. Like anything else if you have the right tools, well anything is possible.

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I just happen to be considering Raspberry PI, what I've learned about it is it's a very cool emulator. So with the right computer you can play any game, Playstation, XBox, or whatever. You can also get a lot of the older Nintendo and arcade games, so where one guy online had built and arcade style case. The way he described it you could play any of the old arcade games and it doesn't even cost you a quarter. Processors are getting much better and multicore is ideal for gaming or if you just need a lot of processing power. I have some 3D models I would like to put into animation but compiling is apparently time consuming. Like anything else if you have the right tools, well anything is possible.

I own the PI 3a. It it a cool tiny micro-computer. It can handle about any game up to...the Sega Dreamcast...not all Dreamcast games though. I think the N64 emulation is a bit lacking, but it's notorious for being a difficult system to emulate. It can handle the PS1 perfectly, NES, SNES, Genesis, GBA, GB, thousands of Arcade games and many many other older systems. All through RetroPie and EmulationStation platforms working with emulators like RetroArch behind the scenes. It really is amazing to see and use on a T.V., so much cheaper and so many more games than the mini NES, etc. and with so much flexibility and options, enhancements etc. From what I understand the PI uses an ARM processor like the processors used in cell phones and tablets. Many have discovered other very creative uses for the Raspberry PI, and they're so affordable. I've thought about using one with KODI as a media server (but I am content with PLEX), or making one into a portable high end external sound device. But others more electronically inclined than me have pushed the limits of the PI further in creative ways.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I own the PI 3a. It it a cool tiny micro-computer. It can handle about any game up to...the Sega Dreamcast...not all Dreamcast games though. I think the N64 emulation is a bit lacking, but it's notorious for being a difficult system to emulate. It can handle the PS1 perfectly, NES, SNES, Genesis, GBA, GB, thousands of Arcade games and many many other older systems. All through RetroPie and EmulationStation platforms working with emulators like RetroArch behind the scenes. It really is amazing to see and use on a T.V., so much cheaper and so many more games than the mini NES, etc. and with so much flexibility and options, enhancements etc. From what I understand the PI uses an ARM processor like the processors used in cell phones and tablets. Many have discovered other very creative uses for the Raspberry PI, and they're so affordable. I've thought about using one with KODI as a media server (but I am content with PLEX), or making one into a portable high end external sound device. But others more electronically inclined than me have pushed the limits of the PI further in creative ways.
Well just dump a truck on me AW, just kidding, now that is informative. It will be a while before I can start working on a system but I'm thinking next summer. That gives me plenty of time to unpack stuff like this and do a little research, I'm sure the more you learn the easier and cheaper it becomes.

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well just dump a truck on me AW, just kidding, now that is informative. It will be a while before I can start working on a system but I'm thinking next summer. That gives me plenty of time to unpack stuff like this and do a little research, I'm sure the more you learn the easier and cheaper it becomes.

If you're thinking about using one for games, here are a few links to begin the journey:

Retropie

Retropie GIT Hub

EmulationStation

It's kind of an education all in itself, but very rewarding. I have next to zero Linux knowledge, but managed to learn just enough, which isn't much, to get by.

Rasberry Pi can handle a mind blowing number of operating systems.

Currenly though, I am considering upgrading to AMD Ryzen based system in a micro tower with a micro-atx motherboard, to have a portable system capable of everything mentioned and PS2, Gamecube, and Wii emulation, Steam would be nice on the T.V. too. I'm still undecided though, who knows.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums