Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
How important is Holy Communion/The Eucharist important to UCC congregations?

Thanks in advanced
It is very important to me. Of course, my childhood roots are in the Lutheran Church (Missouri Synod). I personally believe in the Real Presence in the Sacrament. However, I think this varies from congregation to congregation and from person to person within the UCC. Most places I have attended have taken communion every month.

Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟240,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
It is very important to me. Of course, my childhood roots are in the Lutheran Church (Missouri Synod). I personally believe in the Real Presence in the Sacrament. However, I think this varies from congregation to congregation and from person to person within the UCC. Most places I have attended have taken communion every month.
Thanks for your response

Reactions: XianGoth1334
Upvote 0

AgapeBible

Aug 26, 2007
USA/Florida
✟44,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I grew up with the southern baptist church and we didn't even call it communion. We called it the Lord's Supper, and we took it the first Sunday of the month, only. We did not take it every day of the week. Oh, and the Baptists used grape juice and not wine. Jesus turned the water into wine and the Baptists turned the wine into grape juice. I am glad the Church of Christ does not baptize babies. Growing up southern baptist this is something I feel strongly against . Baptizing babies is a sin! I was shocked to learn how many 'protestant' denominations act so much like Catholics, they baptize babies and practice ritual chanted prayers, set prayers and not prayers from the heart. I am relieved to find the UCC. I hope they don't ever start getting into politics and gossip,

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟240,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I grew up with the southern baptist church and we didn't even call it communion. We called it the Lord's Supper, and we took it the first Sunday of the month, only. We did not take it every day of the week. Oh, and the Baptists used grape juice and not wine. Jesus turned the water into wine and the Baptists turned the wine into grape juice. I am glad the Church of Christ does not baptize babies. Growing up southern baptist this is something I feel strongly against . Baptizing babies is a sin! I was shocked to learn how many 'protestant' denominations act so much like Catholics, they baptize babies and practice ritual chanted prayers, set prayers and not prayers from the heart. I am relieved to find the UCC. I hope they don't ever start getting into politics and gossip,
It is my understanding the UCC does infant baptism.

Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think that Communion is very important. But Communion with the Lord implies much more than simply eating a cracker and drinking an ounce of wine. Communion is a coming together. In spirit and prayer. Focused on the Lord. In spirit and in truth. If that is the case, then Communion should be every day. !! To come into communion with the Lord, are you kidding?!

I keep a cheap bottle of red wine in the frige for just that purpose. I usually use crackers but I did buy 1000 wafers like the church uses. Just in case a lot of people show up sometime. Besides, they say that an ounce of red wine every day is good for you.

I don't drink wine though. I do Communion but gave up drinking many years ago. Every day! I've taken to declaring that, this IS the blood of Jesus, and this IS the body of Jesus before I partake of it. Who knows what happens in the spiritual realm when we do that?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟240,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I think that Communion is very important. But Communion with the Lord implies much more than simply eating a cracker and drinking an ounce of wine. Communion is a coming together. In spirit and prayer. Focused on the Lord. In spirit and in truth. If that is the case, then Communion should be every day. !! To come into communion with the Lord, are you kidding?!

I keep a cheap bottle of red wine in the frige for just that purpose. I usually use crackers but I did buy 1000 wafers like the church uses. Just in case a lot of people show up sometime. Besides, they say that an ounce of red wine every day is good for you.

I don't drink wine though. I do Communion but gave up drinking many years ago. Every day! I've taken to declaring that, this IS the blood of Jesus, and this IS the body of Jesus before I partake of it. Who knows what happens in the spiritual realm when we do that?
Thanks for the input.

Reactions: Divide
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,256,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
It varies. The liturgy used in most UCC churches might have the Words of Institution, but the prayers typically aren't as emphatic about the presence of Christ in the sacrament, there's more talk about bread and wine and less about body and blood. It is accepted as a means of grace, though. A wide variety of viewpoints are tolerated. Most UCC churches only have communion twice a month, similar to other mainline Protestant churches.

There are some beautiful hymns in the old Pilgrim hymnal (still used in some congregations) that help me appreciate a more Reformed perspective on the sacrament, but perhaps not the kind of theological reflection you might see in a Lutheran or Catholic church.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟240,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
It varies. The liturgy used in most UCC churches might have the Words of Institution, but the prayers typically aren't as emphatic about the presence of Christ in the sacrament, there's more talk about bread and wine and less about body and blood. It is accepted as a means of grace, though. A wide variety of viewpoints are tolerated. Most UCC churches only have communion twice a month, similar to other mainline Protestant churches.

There are some beautiful hymns in the old Pilgrim hymnal (still used in some congregations) that help me appreciate a more Reformed perspective on the sacrament, but perhaps not the kind of theological reflection you might see in a Lutheran or Catholic church.
Thanks for the input

Upvote 0