Communion / Lord's table - will they make it obligatory?

OldAbramBrown

Jul 4, 2023
England
✟22,720.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I quite like a church, that calls itself independent reformed. Everybody there is a bit too quiet for me and I have difficulty finding out what the requirements are. (I am not used to "membership schemes" in my 68 years around churches.) I poke light hearted comedy at them by saying they think discussing doctrines is gossip! They smile wryly and uncomprehendingly.

Anyway I want to avoid putting their backs up by announcing that I don't want to take part in "communion / Lord's table", in case they would bar me from seeking membership in case I decide there aren't too many snags in being a member.

As a non member they are comfortable in passing me by.

They are not "presbyterian" but one of the elders let slip to me privately (probably to make me feel privileged) that he wants to make it so.

In other words, is receiving the elements an obligation once one is "in"?

FYI I think "Remember Me" means to acknowledge the gifts in the other (discern the Body) and not a Jewish ceremony now that it is not a joint assembly with Jews of religion.

Part of my ancestry was by chance Jewish on one side but they changed religion some generations back and I never give that any thought.

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,174.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I quite like a church, that calls itself independent reformed. Everybody there is a bit too quiet for me and I have difficulty finding out what the requirements are. (I am not used to "membership schemes" in my 68 years around churches.) I poke light hearted comedy at them by saying they think discussing doctrines is gossip! They smile wryly and uncomprehendingly.

Anyway I want to avoid putting their backs up by announcing that I don't want to take part in "communion / Lord's table", in case they would bar me from seeking membership in case I decide there aren't too many snags in being a member.

As a non member they are comfortable in passing me by.

They are not "presbyterian" but one of the elders let slip to me privately (probably to make me feel privileged) that he wants to make it so.

In other words, is receiving the elements an obligation once one is "in"?

FYI I think "Remember Me" means to acknowledge the gifts in the other (discern the Body) and not a Jewish ceremony now that it is not a joint assembly with Jews of religion.

Part of my ancestry was by chance Jewish on one side but they changed religion some generations back and I never give that any thought.
I attended a RPCNA church for a while many decades ago. They practiced closed communion, which was standard for centuries in Presbyterianism. They did it about twice a year on rather arbitrary cycles (they rejected celebrating ungodly holidays such as Christmas and Easter). When they did it they had a preparatory service on the Saturday prior to it. At the end of the preparatory service communion tokens were given to members in good standing by the elders. On Sunday morning the members in good standing proceeded to the communion table in front and gave their tokens to the elders and then were given communion. As I was not a member I was permitted to observe, along with other children, non-members, and "adherents".

The only time there was a problem happened before I started attending. A young couple who were "adherents" had secreted a bit of bread and a tiny bit of wine in his suit jacket pockets. While the communion was going on in front of the church they shared the bread and wine between themselves. Some of the children observed what was happening and reported them to their parents. As a result, there was a major brouhaha with the elders. The question was not whether or not they had actually taken communion (they had, albeit surreptitiously) but whether or not they had defiled the house of the Lord with wine. That was the sin they were charged with because the church was adamantly opposed to alcohol in any form. The problem was that because they were not members they could not be excommunicated, nor could any action be taken against them, so they kept attending.

Upvote 0

seekingHiswisdom

Jun 28, 2023
Pennsylvania
✟5,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Why would one not want to partake of communion.

If it was good enough for the apostles, it is good enough for those of unwavering faith and belief in Jesus.... "OUR" savior.

Wiki's description:

The Last Supper is the final meal that, in the Gospel accounts, Jesus shared with his apostles in Jerusalem before his crucifixion. The Last Supper is commemorated by Christians especially on Holy Thursday. The Last Supper provides the scriptural basis for the Eucharist, also known as "Holy Communion" or "The Lord's Supper".

Mark 14 says
22 While they were eating, Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take it; this is my body.”

23 Then he took a cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them, and they all drank from it.

24 “This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many,” he said to them. 25 “Truly I tell you, I will not drink again from the fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new in the kingdom of God.”

Luke 22 says
19 And when He had taken some bread and given thanks, He broke it and gave it to them, saying, "This is My body which is given for you; do this in remembrance of Me."

I Cor 11 says
26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes.

Blessings!

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,174.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Why would one not want to partake of communion.

If it was good enough for the apostles, it is good enough for those of unwavering faith and belief in Jesus.... "OUR" savior.

Wiki's description:

The Last Supper is the final meal that, in the Gospel accounts, Jesus shared with his apostles in Jerusalem before his crucifixion. The Last Supper is commemorated by Christians especially on Holy Thursday. The Last Supper provides the scriptural basis for the Eucharist, also known as "Holy Communion" or "The Lord's Supper".

Mark 14 says
22 While they were eating, Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take it; this is my body.”

23 Then he took a cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them, and they all drank from it.

24 “This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many,” he said to them. 25 “Truly I tell you, I will not drink again from the fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new in the kingdom of God.”

Luke 22 says
19 And when He had taken some bread and given thanks, He broke it and gave it to them, saying, "This is My body which is given for you; do this in remembrance of Me."

I Cor 11 says
26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes.

Blessings!

One of the strange questions is why churches have communion infrequently. The standard seems to be on the first Sunday of the month. All I can think is that is a reaction against churches such as the RCC which do it daily, but do it with the belief that it confers grace to the believer such that, as in the RCC, one's time in Purgatory is lessened as a result.

Upvote 0

seekingHiswisdom

Jun 28, 2023
Pennsylvania
✟5,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
One of the strange questions is why churches have communion infrequently. The standard seems to be on the first Sunday of the month. All I can think is that is a reaction against churches such as the RCC which do it daily, but do it with the belief that it confers grace to the believer such that, as in the RCC, one's time in Purgatory is lessened as a result.
Beyond that, they feel this is important to the forgiveness of sins.

Father Michael Van Sloun 0 iStock/Wideonet One of the greatest blessings and least known facts about the Eucharist is that, in the reception of holy Communion, a person's venial sins are forgiven. The Eucharist is one of four sacraments that imparts the forgiveness of sins. The waters of baptism wash away all prior sins.

Which makes it an important part of all masses, so those in attendance can receive their needed forgivness....
aside from all the confessions they do. (I mean... it would be most comforting to know that I could receive this offered forgiveness daily if I so desired to go to mass and feel in my heart I had been forgiven cause I had done one thing the church told me I needed to do to obtain that.....sheeesh. (NO... I am not Catholic) cause every morning I get out of bed I run the risk of doing some sin...

But while this may seems all wonderful the RCC system of communion is NOT for the faint of heart...

Mortal sin is the most serious kind of sin recognized in the Catholic Church. It severs you from God’s Grace. If you fail to confess and correct your ways, you’ll be ultimately condemned to eternal damnation.

On the other hand, communion is one of the most sacred sacraments. You are partaking of the body and blood of Jesus.

You can probably already see how sacrilegious it would be to mix mortal sin and communion. They are like night and day – they do not belong together.

We discuss this question in more detail below, but here’s a quick answer right from the Bible on what happens if you receive communion in mortal sin.

It’s from 1 Corinthians 11:27.

So then whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in a way that is unworthy [of Him] will be guilty of [profaning and sinning against] the body and blood of the Lord.
What You'll Learn Today [show]

What Is Mortal Sin?​

Mortal Sin

Most of the sins we commit on a daily basis are venial sins. They are usually not grave wrongdoings, and sometimes we are not aware that we are actually sinning.

These venial sins still hurt your relationship with Christ and weaken your soul, but it does not completely remove you from God’s grace.

A mortal sin, on the other hand, is serious (typically one the sins covered under the ten commandments), is committed with your full knowledge, and with your deliberate consent.

These three conditions must be fulfilled for a sin to be considered mortal. Mortal sin is considered so serious because you have deliberately chosen to walk away from God’s grace. You’ve chosen you’d rather live in sin, and ultimately be condemned to hell. You have rejected God’s love.

Here’s what the Catechism of the Catholic Church says regarding the consequences of mortal sin (CCC 1861).

Mortal sin is a radical possibility of human freedom, as is love itself. It results in the loss of charity and the privation of sanctifying grace, that is, of the state of grace. If it is not redeemed by repentance and God’s forgiveness, it causes exclusion from Christ’s kingdom and the eternal death of hell, for our freedom has the power to make choices for ever, with no turning back.

Why Is Communion So Sacred?​

Why Is Communion So Sacred?

So Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you.”
That’s from John 6:53, and it tells us why it is very important to partake of the communion. It also tells us something else that many people get confused about.

You may have heard some Catholics saying that the bread and wine are simply symbols or representations of the body and blood of Christ. This couldn’t be further from the truth.

Once the priest has consecrated the bread and the wine, they become the body and blood of Christ. This is called ‘change of substance’ or transubstantiation.

So now, imagine eating and drinking the very divinity of God while living in mortal sin.

Consequences Of Receiving Communion In Mortal Sin​

From the verse we quoted in the beginning (1 Corinthians 11:27), the obvious conclusion is that taking communion when you are unworthy of it is blasphemy.

And blasphemy that’s committed with full knowledge and willingly is a mortal sin.

As if the first mortal sin is not bad enough, you add another on top of it. What happens if you receive communion in mortal sin?

No, you probably won’t be struck by lightning in front of the priest, or collapse and die as soon as the bread touches your mouth.

But by committing this mortal sin, you are removing yourself even further from God’s grace. And mortal sin, if unconfessed, eventually leads to one thing – eternal death.

What To Do If You Are In Mortal Sin?​

If you are living in mortal sin (you can ask your local priest to make the judgement if you are not sure you are in mortal sin), the first thing to do is go to confession and repent.

Next, if it is an ongoing sin such as regularly missing mass, drunkenness or fornication, stop.

Once you are in a state of sanctifying grace (after penance and earnest reconciliation with God), you can receive the communion as long as you’ve fulfilled all other requirements.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,174.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Beyond that, they feel this is important to the forgiveness of sins.

Father Michael Van Sloun 0 iStock/Wideonet One of the greatest blessings and least known facts about the Eucharist is that, in the reception of holy Communion, a person's venial sins are forgiven. The Eucharist is one of four sacraments that imparts the forgiveness of sins. The waters of baptism wash away all prior sins.

Which makes it an important part of all masses, so those in attendance can receive their needed forgivness....
aside from all the confessions they do. (I mean... it would be most comforting to know that I could receive this offered forgiveness daily if I so desired to go to mass and feel in my heart I had been forgiven cause I had done one thing the church told me I needed to do to obtain that.....sheeesh. (NO... I am not Catholic) cause every morning I get out of bed I run the risk of doing some sin...

But while this may seems all wonderful the RCC system of communion is NOT for the faint of heart...

Thank you for the amplification of my post.

Upvote 0

seekingHiswisdom

Jun 28, 2023
Pennsylvania
✟5,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you for the amplification of my post.
I receive emails from Messianic Bible, and this I just got and thought you might be interested... as well as other readers. Any text color changes are mine for emphasis.

Have you taken communion the Jewish way, as Yeshua taught?

"Do this in remembrance of Me." (Luke 22:19)

Shalom

In Scripture, God gives us opportunities to fellowship with Him over meals, when we are to remember and celebrate the good works He has done.

We saw this after God made a covenant with the People of Israel at Mount Sinai. Moses and the 70 leaders of Israel “saw God, and they ate and drank.” (Exodus 24:11)

The twelve disciples of Yeshua didn’t know it yet, but they too were seeing God in flesh as they ate with Him the night before He inaugurated a New Covenant.

Believers who participate in the traditional Jewish Passover meal (known as a Seder) have the opportunity to celebrate and enter into fellowship with Yeshua as He instructed His disciples to do, the night He was betrayed and arrested.

The Passover Meal

Perhaps the most significant meal in the Tanakh (Old Testament) that God required the People to eat is the Passover meal (Exodus 12:14–16).

God instituted this meal as a mitzvah (command) so that every generation would remember how He alone arranged for their deliverance out of slavery in Egypt.

On this Passover night, the angel of death “passed over” the homes that displayed the blood of the sacrificial lamb on its doorposts.

In every home that did not display the blood, someone perished, which convinced Pharaoh to let the Israelites leave Egypt. This is why another name for Passover is Hag ha-Herut (The Holiday of Freedom).

Over the centuries, this Passover meal evolved into a lengthy ritual, and we don’t know for certain which parts of the custom existed at the time of Yeshua.

Many scholars believe that several aspects of the Seder practiced today were introduced in the centuries following the destruction of the Temple in AD 70.

However, we do know that Messiah’s last meal with His disciples included the breaking of bread and drinking of wine, as do Jewish meals to this day, and that is the part Yeshua wants us to remember the most.

So let’s look at what the bread and wine truly mean to Believers in Yeshua

This Is My Body

As Yeshua’s disciples gathered together for their final meal with Him, Yeshua blessed the bread, broke it, and said, “This is My body given for you; do this in remembrance of Me” (Luke 22:19).

Almost 1.5 billion Christians (two-thirds of Christianity) have been taught that through a mysterious process the bread itself changes into Yeshua Himself.

This is called transubstantiation and is practiced by Catholics, Anglicans, and Orthodox Christians, such as Greek, Ukrainian, Ethiopian, etc. as well as other denominations.

However, in the ancient Jewish practice of sacrificial offerings that God instituted, nothing ever transformed from one substance into another substance. Rather, most of the animal offerings were killed and eaten.

So, we must ask ourselves from a Jewish Hebraic perspective, what did Yeshua want us to understand when He said, “This is my body”?

Yeshua often spoke about Himself in metaphors, especially in terms of bread and life.

He said, “I am the bread of life” and “I am the living bread that came down from heaven.” (John 6:35, 51)

He explained to His disciples, “It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life.” (John 6:63)

Yeshua’s words are spirit and life because He is the Word of God in flesh (John 1:1,14). Since this is true, every time Yeshua speaks, we can replace “I” with “Spirit” and “the Word.”

We can, therefore, understand His teaching about eating His body and drinking His blood this way:

“Unless you eat the flesh [Spirit / Word] of the Son of Man and drink His blood [Spirit / Word], you have no life in yourselves.

“He who eats My flesh [Spirit / Word] and drinks My blood [Spirit / Word] has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day. . . This is the bread which came down out of heaven; not as the fathers ate and died; he who eats this bread [Spirit / Word], will live forever.” (John 6:53–58)

Symbolically consuming the Word of God is not a foreign concept in Judaism.

In his book, God in Search of Man: A Philosophy of Judaism, Rabbi Abraham Heschel says that "the goal is for man to be an incarnation of the Torah; for the Torah to be in man, in his soul and in his deeds" (p. 311).

But there is another significant meaning attached to Yeshua’s instruction: “Take and eat. This is My body” (Matthew 26:26).

“Then he took a cup, and when He had given thanks, He gave it to them, saying, ‘Drink from it, all of you. This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.’” (Matthew 26:27–28; see also Exodus 24:8)

Yeshua Is Our Prophesied Guilt and Sin Offering

In the covenant that God made with Moses and the Israelites, the priests ate the sin and guilt offerings (such as lambs and goats) that the Israelites brought to the Temple as sacrifices for their sins.

Now, in the New Covenant, Yeshua Himself became our offering for guilt (Isaiah 53:10) and sin (Romans 8:3). He took upon Himself all of our sins. (However, as we will soon see, we have a vital responsibility in this forgiveness process.)

It is only natural, then, that Yeshua would ask His disciples, the priests of His kingdom, to eat the sacrifice, metaphorically speaking of course.

When we eat the bread and drink the wine at the Passover meal, we must remember how we have been delivered from an eternal spiritual death that God provided through the sacrifice of Yeshua, “the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world”
(John 1:29).

With our sins paid for, His sacrifice heals any broken fellowship we had with God so we can freely commune with Him.

This is why some call this time of remembrance communion. However, in reality, it is an integral part of the Passover Seder.

Preparing to Fellowship With God

Rabbi Sha’ul (the Jewish Apostle whose name changed to Paul) spent much of his ministry teaching Gentiles. As Passover approached in Corinth, Greece Paul instructed the Believers there how to handle the sexual immorality within their congregation:

“Don’t you know that a little yeast [representing sin] leavens the whole batch of dough? Get rid of the old yeast, so that you may be a new unleavened batch—as you really are. For Messiah, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed.

“Therefore let us keep the Festival, not with the old bread leavened with malice and wickedness, but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.” (1 Corinthians 5:6–8)

Paul also tells them:

“Whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. Each one must examine himself before he eats of the bread and drinks of the cup.” (1 Corinthians 11:27–28)

Examining ourselves is a Jewish concept.

Imagine an Israelite going through the trouble of buying a lamb at the Temple, slaughtering it for a sin offering, and not even knowing what his sin is.

Before coming to the Passover meal to remember the sacrifice of Yeshua for our sins, we need to examine our hearts to discover how we have disobeyed God. We can do this by praying the words that David wrote:

“Search me, O God, and know my heart; try me and know my anxious thoughts; and see if there be any hurtful way in me, and lead me in the everlasting way.” (Psalm 139:23–24)

We need to be open to hearing what the Spirit has to say because He knows it all anyway: “Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence?” asked David (verse 7).

Once we become aware of what sin needs to be cleansed, we must confess it just as the Israelites confessed their sins at the Temple.

When an Israelite brought his offering to the priest, he laid his hands on the animal and confessed his own sins and that of his family (since only men were permitted to enter the Temple courtyard).

In a similar way, when we confess our sins to God, we might imagine laying our hands over Yeshua, our final sacrifice.

The Apostle John assures us that “if we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” (1 John 1:9)

Once the confession has been made, we can offer our sacrifice.

After confession, the Israelite personally experienced the magnitude of his sin, as he killed the sacrifice: a life had to die as a substitute for his own sin. (Leviticus 4:27–33).

The priest then sprinkled the blood of the sacrifice on the altar, which made atonement for the sin.

And that is what Yeshua did for us!

This is why Paul wrote: “For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until He comes” (1 Corinthians 11:26).

Like the Israelites, with atonement made, we are now free to serve our Creator, holy and set apart for His service.

But freedom is not without responsibility. God requires from us teshuvah, which in Hebrew means to walk with Him and turn away from our former ways.

In early Jewish tradition, it is written that the one who says, “I will sin and repent, I will sin and repent” … [does not depart from this practice easily and convinces himself that he really did not sin thus] an opportunity to repent is not given to him” (Yoma 8, 9; AD 10–200).

True repentance means that once we have acknowledged the sin we committed, confessed it before God, and made the sacrifice, we then change our behavior and attitude in a long-term way.

That is repentance and that is Yeshua’s first command recorded in the Book of Matthew: “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is near” (verse 3:2).

With the leaven (sin) in us repented of and our attitude reflecting God’s attitude, we can enter into true fellowship with Him — a restored relationship where communication and love flow without hindrance.

That is the kind of freedom Yeshua came to give us.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,174.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I receive emails from Messianic Bible, and this I just got and thought you might be interested... as well as other readers. Any text color changes are mine for emphasis.

Have you taken communion the Jewish way, as Yeshua taught?

"Do this in remembrance of Me." (Luke 22:19)

Shalom

In Scripture, God gives us opportunities to fellowship with Him over meals, when we are to remember and celebrate the good works He has done.

We saw this after God made a covenant with the People of Israel at Mount Sinai. Moses and the 70 leaders of Israel “saw God, and they ate and drank.” (Exodus 24:11)

The twelve disciples of Yeshua didn’t know it yet, but they too were seeing God in flesh as they ate with Him the night before He inaugurated a New Covenant.

Believers who participate in the traditional Jewish Passover meal (known as a Seder) have the opportunity to celebrate and enter into fellowship with Yeshua as He instructed His disciples to do, the night He was betrayed and arrested.

The Passover Meal

Perhaps the most significant meal in the Tanakh (Old Testament) that God required the People to eat is the Passover meal (Exodus 12:14–16).

God instituted this meal as a mitzvah (command) so that every generation would remember how He alone arranged for their deliverance out of slavery in Egypt.

On this Passover night, the angel of death “passed over” the homes that displayed the blood of the sacrificial lamb on its doorposts.

In every home that did not display the blood, someone perished, which convinced Pharaoh to let the Israelites leave Egypt. This is why another name for Passover is Hag ha-Herut (The Holiday of Freedom).

Over the centuries, this Passover meal evolved into a lengthy ritual, and we don’t know for certain which parts of the custom existed at the time of Yeshua.

Many scholars believe that several aspects of the Seder practiced today were introduced in the centuries following the destruction of the Temple in AD 70.

However, we do know that Messiah’s last meal with His disciples included the breaking of bread and drinking of wine, as do Jewish meals to this day, and that is the part Yeshua wants us to remember the most.

So let’s look at what the bread and wine truly mean to Believers in Yeshua

This Is My Body

As Yeshua’s disciples gathered together for their final meal with Him, Yeshua blessed the bread, broke it, and said, “This is My body given for you; do this in remembrance of Me” (Luke 22:19).

Almost 1.5 billion Christians (two-thirds of Christianity) have been taught that through a mysterious process the bread itself changes into Yeshua Himself.

This is called transubstantiation and is practiced by Catholics, Anglicans, and Orthodox Christians, such as Greek, Ukrainian, Ethiopian, etc. as well as other denominations.

However, in the ancient Jewish practice of sacrificial offerings that God instituted, nothing ever transformed from one substance into another substance. Rather, most of the animal offerings were killed and eaten.

So, we must ask ourselves from a Jewish Hebraic perspective, what did Yeshua want us to understand when He said, “This is my body”?

Yeshua often spoke about Himself in metaphors, especially in terms of bread and life.

He said, “I am the bread of life” and “I am the living bread that came down from heaven.” (John 6:35, 51)

He explained to His disciples, “It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life.” (John 6:63)

Yeshua’s words are spirit and life because He is the Word of God in flesh (John 1:1,14). Since this is true, every time Yeshua speaks, we can replace “I” with “Spirit” and “the Word.”

We can, therefore, understand His teaching about eating His body and drinking His blood this way:

“Unless you eat the flesh [Spirit / Word] of the Son of Man and drink His blood [Spirit / Word], you have no life in yourselves.

“He who eats My flesh [Spirit / Word] and drinks My blood [Spirit / Word] has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day. . . This is the bread which came down out of heaven; not as the fathers ate and died; he who eats this bread [Spirit / Word], will live forever.” (John 6:53–58)

Symbolically consuming the Word of God is not a foreign concept in Judaism.

In his book, God in Search of Man: A Philosophy of Judaism, Rabbi Abraham Heschel says that "the goal is for man to be an incarnation of the Torah; for the Torah to be in man, in his soul and in his deeds" (p. 311).

But there is another significant meaning attached to Yeshua’s instruction: “Take and eat. This is My body” (Matthew 26:26).

“Then he took a cup, and when He had given thanks, He gave it to them, saying, ‘Drink from it, all of you. This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.’” (Matthew 26:27–28; see also Exodus 24:8)

Yeshua Is Our Prophesied Guilt and Sin Offering

In the covenant that God made with Moses and the Israelites, the priests ate the sin and guilt offerings (such as lambs and goats) that the Israelites brought to the Temple as sacrifices for their sins.

Now, in the New Covenant, Yeshua Himself became our offering for guilt (Isaiah 53:10) and sin (Romans 8:3). He took upon Himself all of our sins. (However, as we will soon see, we have a vital responsibility in this forgiveness process.)

It is only natural, then, that Yeshua would ask His disciples, the priests of His kingdom, to eat the sacrifice, metaphorically speaking of course.

When we eat the bread and drink the wine at the Passover meal, we must remember how we have been delivered from an eternal spiritual death that God provided through the sacrifice of Yeshua, “the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world” (John 1:29).

With our sins paid for, His sacrifice heals any broken fellowship we had with God so we can freely commune with Him.

This is why some call this time of remembrance communion. However, in reality, it is an integral part of the Passover Seder.

Preparing to Fellowship With God

Rabbi Sha’ul (the Jewish Apostle whose name changed to Paul) spent much of his ministry teaching Gentiles. As Passover approached in Corinth, Greece Paul instructed the Believers there how to handle the sexual immorality within their congregation:

“Don’t you know that a little yeast [representing sin] leavens the whole batch of dough? Get rid of the old yeast, so that you may be a new unleavened batch—as you really are. For Messiah, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed.

“Therefore let us keep the Festival, not with the old bread leavened with malice and wickedness, but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.” (1 Corinthians 5:6–8)

Paul also tells them:

“Whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. Each one must examine himself before he eats of the bread and drinks of the cup.” (1 Corinthians 11:27–28)

Examining ourselves is a Jewish concept.

Imagine an Israelite going through the trouble of buying a lamb at the Temple, slaughtering it for a sin offering, and not even knowing what his sin is.

Before coming to the Passover meal to remember the sacrifice of Yeshua for our sins, we need to examine our hearts to discover how we have disobeyed God. We can do this by praying the words that David wrote:

“Search me, O God, and know my heart; try me and know my anxious thoughts; and see if there be any hurtful way in me, and lead me in the everlasting way.” (Psalm 139:23–24)

We need to be open to hearing what the Spirit has to say because He knows it all anyway: “Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence?” asked David (verse 7).

Once we become aware of what sin needs to be cleansed, we must confess it just as the Israelites confessed their sins at the Temple.

When an Israelite brought his offering to the priest, he laid his hands on the animal and confessed his own sins and that of his family (since only men were permitted to enter the Temple courtyard).

In a similar way, when we confess our sins to God, we might imagine laying our hands over Yeshua, our final sacrifice.

The Apostle John assures us that “if we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” (1 John 1:9)

Once the confession has been made, we can offer our sacrifice.

After confession, the Israelite personally experienced the magnitude of his sin, as he killed the sacrifice: a life had to die as a substitute for his own sin. (Leviticus 4:27–33).

The priest then sprinkled the blood of the sacrifice on the altar, which made atonement for the sin.

And that is what Yeshua did for us!

This is why Paul wrote: “For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until He comes” (1 Corinthians 11:26).

Like the Israelites, with atonement made, we are now free to serve our Creator, holy and set apart for His service.

But freedom is not without responsibility. God requires from us teshuvah, which in Hebrew means to walk with Him and turn away from our former ways.

In early Jewish tradition, it is written that the one who says, “I will sin and repent, I will sin and repent” … [does not depart from this practice easily and convinces himself that he really did not sin thus] an opportunity to repent is not given to him” (Yoma 8, 9; AD 10–200).

True repentance means that once we have acknowledged the sin we committed, confessed it before God, and made the sacrifice, we then change our behavior and attitude in a long-term way.

That is repentance and that is Yeshua’s first command recorded in the Book of Matthew: “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is near” (verse 3:2).

With the leaven (sin) in us repented of and our attitude reflecting God’s attitude, we can enter into true fellowship with Him — a restored relationship where communication and love flow without hindrance.

That is the kind of freedom Yeshua came to give us.
Thank you! It is evident from I Corinthians that they engaged in a full communal meal which included communion, as opposed to current church practices of tacking it onto the end of a Sunday service as what appears to be some sort of coda to the service and not the focus at all.

Upvote 0

OldAbramBrown

Jul 4, 2023
England
✟22,720.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
To those who posted replies 3, 5 and 7:

This is sort-of informative to which I add the variation of a consubstantiation rather than transubstantiation because Jesus doesn't nix the identity of objects (if you get this wrong the rest of what you say on the subject is only an opinion too)

The most powerful churches have changed the doctrine to an exclusively horizontal one about communing with their organisational top authority and its material interests.

I therefore make a spiritual communion with Christ and my ordinary peers for the gifts that are in them, for the sake of their consciences and the consciences of the public generally.

My clear point is that I am needing to hear from those who hold to "Reformed" doctrine and church order about whether it is compulsory once a "member".

This was always clear in my wording every time I have re-asked my question and I would like to hear mainly from several such people.

I am sick of hearing how compulsory consuming elements is since a very big personality made it so in the early 1980s.

Jesus wanted the early Christians to keep doing communion with the other Hebrews if they were already Hebrew ("don't foresake"), but the meaning I have described was what persisted after 130 AD. I therefore acknowledge the meaning without misleading others about their horizontal bond with certain interests, which religious organisations have proclaimed.

I need to hear from Reformed members specifically about their attitude to compulsion by their eldership, which is what I have asked.

(I started two threads because of the slow start to replies. I have known threads that mushroom at the rate of a post every two minutes.)

Upvote 0