• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Communication Problems

Heartfelt123

Mar 10, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
✟7,623.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Does anyone else have problems with communication? When im talking (even with a family member). We would be talking and then I will totally loose track of the conversation and then get anxious. I feel like all my conversations are pressured (not like mania) and tense. One example was when i was talking with my dad yesterday and right after he would finish a sentence i would tense and freeze and all i could muster was a yeah. I also have alot of trouble looking people in the eyes. its like i feel intimadated by everyone or scared they are going to hurt me. I dont know its kind of hard to explain.

BRERDO

smh
Sep 19, 2012
✟7,871.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Anxiety is a drag. A well known drag. It isn't something that can easily broken as some people feel it can be. I currently have a benzo prescription for situations that might cause me to bring out the old capital "A" and act up again. My anxiety stems from a social anxiety disorder where I have terrible time communicating and interacting with people I do not know or people I might one day have a relationship with (co-workers, clients, friends of friends, etc...). It is total crap. I am not in the same boat that you are but I can empathize with you and hopefully you can find what it is that will put your anxiety to rest because you deserve it.

Upvote 0

BRERDO

smh
Sep 19, 2012
✟7,871.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I did not know I did it either, to tell you the truth. Now that someone pointed it out I am self-conscious of it and now I have anxiety that I am not looking people in the eye and that everyone notices me not doing it and will end up not talking to me because I can't make sustained eye contact with them.

Sometimes I find myself just repeating 1 Peter 5:7 - "Cast all your anxiety on Him for he cares for you." and it helps. I have found that indeed does.

Another that teaches to not worry about your life that we are taken care of.

Matthew 6:25-27

25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?"

Upvote 0

Heartfelt123

Mar 10, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
✟7,623.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for the replys, just knowing i have a problem with eye contact was the start for me to correct the problem. I found that if i look people in the eye even though it "hurts" i can have more meaningful relationships. THe problem i still have is how much eye contact is too much? I tend to give people about 3-4 seconds of eye contact then make a facial expression or look away. is this correct?

Upvote 0

Loven God

Sep 16, 2012
✟15,685.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is real hard for me to look someone in the eyes to , makes me nerves . I also lose track of convercations easy . I thank it is part of being bipolar . I just try to fouces harder when someone is talking to me , it does help . sometimes I have to sak them to repeat what they just said . I also have ADD and that makes it harder to . So don't be hard on yourself you are not alone .

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2012
Way out in the Arizona desert
✟15,345.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm bipolar and used to have the communication problem, the lack of eye contact and the forgetfulness halfway through a sentence. In my case it was the depression side of my bipolar which had taken hold and caused me to isolate. If you don't use the communication skills you lose them, same with the memory. Once I got my medications straightened out I was able to take part in life again and it eventually went away. As far as the eyes go, I find looking at the bridge of the nose a lot less intimidating.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums