St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
1. The Gifts of the Spirit are not for today.
This shouldn’t be much of a shocker on this particular forum, but I will say this. In my experience rejection of the gifts today flows people trying to make sense of horrible situations, often death. In an attempt to make sense of their hurt, confusion and frustration (why didn’t God heal my loved one) he develop and/or embrace this doctrine. However, hurt, confusion and frustration are not Godly foundations to establish doctrine.

2. The Gifts of the Spirit are for advanced Christians only
In 1 Cor 3 Paul tells the Corinthian church they are carnal. That they should be able to eat the meat of the word, but before and still now they can only handle the milk of the word. Therefore, everything that follows is what Paul considers milk, not meat. True meat of the Gifts isn’t debating which is which and which goes where and when. When writing to mature churches Paul says things more like, “Continue to walk in the Spirit”. Maturity is knowing the Holy Spirit is with you and fully capable of using you at any given time to accomplish His will, and you being willing to step out and do it when He speaks to you. Maturity doesn’t really focus on, or even care, which gifts are being used to do so, it is focused on the will of the Father.

3. God only gives certain people certain gifts
This would make God subject to our gifts, not us subject to His gifts. ALL the gifts are available to any believer if they are baptized in the Holy Spirit. They can and will manifest in vastly different ways even within the same gift, but they are available to all that give Him permission. The entirety of scripture bears this out.

4. The Gifts (or certain gifts) are rare
Places where this is true it is because man has made them rare, not God. The Gifts are a partnership between man and God, expressed at His will, but in reality God is often far more willing than man.

5. The Gifts, especially prophecy, cannot bring correction, reproof or specific guidance.
This just is not biblical and puts limits on God. Correction, reproof and guidance can be done in a way that is consistent with edification, exhortation and comfort. These are not adversarial principles. Sure, it should be done with wisdom, but that is a Godly principle too. Once again the entirety of scripture bears this out.

6. The gifts are different now than in the OT, or there are different sets of Gifts
God is the same yesterday, today and forever. The gifts are the same as they always have been. They are the same whether one is a Prophet/Apostle/ect or not. God determines the usage, He always has. The application and focus of the gifts have changed because of the Cross, but the gifts remain the same.

7. Certain gifts are limited to certain groups or settings (ie believers/unbelievers, in church/out of church)
Before listing the gifts Paul emphasizes there are diversities of gifts, ministries and operations. Meaning the gifts will manifest according to the ministry God has called you to and what He is trying to accomplish at that moment. Paul isn’t limiting the use of the gifts here, he’s broadening it. The word of wisdom can manifest EXTREMELY different through a Pastoral or Apostolic ministry vs a Evangelist ministry... but it is still a word of wisdom. Paul articulated this, then focused on the ministry that needed addressing at the time, congregational ministry.

What about verses 27-30? This is similar to #7. What many people miss about 1 Cor 12 is that the main theme of the chapter is not listing out the gifts. The main theme is to not compare yourself to others and try to be someone you are not. God will use you in the unique way He created you. Everyone can prophesy, but not everyone needs to do it from the platform every single service. If that’s not you don’t be upset, there are other places and ways that God will use your prophetic gift, it won’t look the same, and that’s ok, it’s still prophetic. THAT is the main theme of 1 Cor 12 for all of the gifts.

-------------------------------------------------------

For what it's worth, the information in this post comes not only from biblical understanding but decades of actual practical and repeated experience as well. Leading a church that flows in all of the gifts weekly and training and mentoring 5-fold ministers as well as non ministers, and heaps of testimonies and fruit to back it up.

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I don't know I've read similar things, and my best friend has claimed similar things especially on point 3. But on point 3 the Bible reads differently in the various spiritual gift chapters of 1 Corinthians 12 and Romans 12. It emphasizes that we have are different parts of a body, and that we have a different function, and yes different gifting based on that.

Furthermore in a couple places it looks like saint Paul is using rhetorical questioning implying no like the example below.

1 Cor 12:

27 Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it. 28 And God has placed in the church first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, of helping, of guidance, and of different kinds of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30 Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret? 31 Now eagerly desire the greater gifts.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't know I've read similar things, and my best friend has claimed similar things especially on point 3. But on point 3 the Bible reads differently in the various spiritual gift chapters of 1 Corinthians 12 and Romans 12. It emphasizes that we have are different parts of a body, and that we have a different function, and yes different gifting based on that.

Furthermore in a couple places it looks like saint Paul is using rhetorical questioning implying no like the example below.

1 Cor 12:

27 Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it. 28 And God has placed in the church first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, of helping, of guidance, and of different kinds of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30 Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret? 31 Now eagerly desire the greater gifts.
One's ministry calling may put them in a position where they don't often find themself flowing in a certain gift often, but that doesn't mean it isn't available.

More often what happens is that one is flowing, or could be flowing, in a gift in a way that compliments their ministry, but because they compare themselves to someone else who flows in the same gift a different way they can't see it in their own life, or don't even try.

As I said. If it were limited, then God would be reliant on our gifts not us on His.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,689.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One's ministry calling may put them in a position where they don't often find themself flowing in a certain gift often, but that doesn't mean it isn't available.

More often what happens is that one is flowing, or could be flowing, in a gift in a way that compliments their ministry, but because they compare themselves to someone else who flows in the same gift a different way they can't see it in their own life, or don't even try.

As I said. If it were limited, then God would be reliant on our gifts not us on His.

Or that God knows our limitations.

Again, it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted his wealth to them. o one he gave five bags of gold, to another two bags, and to another one bag, each according to his ability. -- Matthew 25

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why??? they are given as He wills... not as we will.
Yes. That doesn't change anything. All the gifts are available to all believers baptized in the Holy Spirit, but manifest as He wills.

If it's His will to heal someone He's not going to not do it because the people present don't have the right gifts... the willingness of us to step out is what is more of a roadblock.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Or that God knows our limitations.

Again, it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted his wealth to them. o one he gave five bags of gold, to another two bags, and to another one bag, each according to his ability. -- Matthew 25
Are the gifts our ability or His?

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,689.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are the gifts our ability or His?

According to the parable, different gifts are give according to the ability of the person. This is not a question of God's power, this is a statement of God's methods.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,360.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
6. The gifts are different now than in the OT, or there are different sets of Gifts
God is the same yesterday, today and forever. The gifts are the same as they always have been. They are the same whether one is a Prophet/Apostle/ect or not. God determines the usage, He always has. The application and focus of the gifts have changed because of the Cross, but the gifts remain the same.

Yes God is the same - that does not mean He always does the same thing. Scriptural support that we move in OT gifts please.

Show scriptural support for all believers being gifted identically...

And your final comment "For what it's worth, the information in this post comes not only from biblical understanding but decades of actual practical and repeated experience as well. Leading a church that flows in all of the gifts weekly and training and mentoring 5-fold ministers as well as non ministers, and heaps of testimonies and fruit to back it up..."

Great - I am sure you have done well, but that doesn't mean we have to mimmick your theology on the gifts.
I can speak of ministering in the gifts since the 70's through revival and such and I haven't been hindered by seeing things a little differently. I think it is better to offer our opinions and leave the convincing to the Holy Spirit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
According to the parable, different gifts are give according to the ability of the person. This is not a question of God's power, this is a statement of God's methods.
You are looking in the wrong place here. Gifts of the Spirit = God's gifts not ours. That means God's ability not ours. That parable is talking about our gifts and talents, not God's.

No human being has a gift to heal. Only God can do that.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes God is the same - that does not mean He always does the same thing. Scriptural support that we move in OT gifts please.
This goes both ways there is zero scriptural support that there is a difference between OT gifts and NT gifts with the exception of who they are available to. But if you want one. Prophecy. We see it in the OT, we see it in the NT. In the OT prophecy pointed and prepared the way for Jesus. In the NT the spirit of prophecy is the testimony of Jesus.

Show scriptural support for all believers being gifted identically...
I didn't say that. God is consistently gifted. The Gifts are His and His power. We all have the same Holy Spirit living in us, so the same Gifts are available, that by no means means they are used the same. This was Paul's whole point: don't limit how God can move.

And your final comment "For what it's worth, the information in this post comes not only from biblical understanding but decades of actual practical and repeated experience as well. Leading a church that flows in all of the gifts weekly and training and mentoring 5-fold ministers as well as non ministers, and heaps of testimonies and fruit to back it up..."

Great - I am sure you have done well, but that doesn't mean we have to mimmick your theology on the gifts.
I can speak of ministering in he gifts since the 70's through revival and such and I haven't been hindered by seeing things a little differently. I think it is better to offer our opinions and leave the convincing to the Holy Spirit.
Don't see where I told anyone to mimic my theology. Jesus said we would know the true from the false by the fruit, so I provided a taste of that. I'm doing nothing different than people have been doing since the onset of this forum. Through myself and my direct teachers I've got literally centuries of ministry experience behind this including from the man many consider the father of the modern prophetic movement.

I've seen people struggle because of the things I've listed and I've seen them set free when they overcame them. I mention these things in hope that it carries a bit more weight and people will actually do what you said and seek the Holy Spirit about it... however most don't actually seek Him about it, they just argue what they already believe about it.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,689.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This goes both ways there is zero scriptural support that there is a difference between OT gifts and NT gifts with the exception of who they are available to. But if you want one. Prophecy. We see it in the OT, we see it in the NT. In the OT prophecy pointed and prepared the way for Jesus. In the NT the spirit of prophecy is the testimony of Jesus.

I didn't say that. God is consistently gifted. The Gifts are His and His power. We all have the same Holy Spirit living in us, so the same Gifts are available, that by no means means they are used the same. This was Paul's whole point: don't limit how God can move.

Don't see where I told anyone to mimic my theology. Jesus said we would know the true from the false by the fruit, so I provided a taste of that. I'm doing nothing different than people have been doing since the onset of this forum. Through myself and my direct teachers I've got literally centuries of ministry experience behind this including from the man many consider the father of the modern prophetic movement.

I've seen people struggle because of the things I've listed and I've seen them set free when they overcame them. I mention these things in hope that it carries a bit more weight and people will actually do what you said and seek the Holy Spirit about it... however most don't actually seek Him about it, they just argue what they already believe about it.

Everyone else has provided scripture for their points of view. You have not.

Show scriptural evidence that everyone has the same gifts.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,360.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes. That doesn't change anything. All the gifts are available to all believers baptized in the Holy Spirit, but manifest as He wills.

Scriptural support for this please.

If it's His will to heal someone He's not going to not do it because the people present don't have the right gifts... the willingness of us to step out is what is more of a roadblock.

I get led to a need not because I have anything but because He does and invites me to participate.

At the end of the day He is glorified.

He healed my mum as a widow on her own at night in the country - no gifts were involved at all.

He healed me recently at 2am - woke me up from sleep - just Him and me...

Cant we just rejoice in what He does rather than present theological boxes we all have to fit in ???

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Look if a Christian goes about his/her life believing they don't have the gift of healing, then it stands to reason they will never step out and TRY to pray for healing and therefore they've just validated their theology, not because it's true, but because they never tried.

One doesn't have to act like Todd White (or fill in the blank minister) to see healings happen. Powerful healings can and do happen in much more quiet and subtle ways. The power of 1 Cor 12 is that we learn the unique way He flows through each of us to accomplish the same thing.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Cant we just rejoice in what He does rather than present theological boxes we all have to fit in ???
What's your deal today? I'm doing nothing different than anyone else on this forum, exactly what it was designed for, and you seem to be very accusational towards me about it.

And for what it's worth my main point with #3 was to eliminate the boxes we put ourselves in.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,360.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Look if a Christian goes about his/her life believing they don't have the gift of healing, then it stands to reason they will never step out and TRY to pray for healing and therefore they've just validated their theology, not because it's true, but because they never tried.

I started praying for healing not because I thought I had a gift, but because the scripture said

James 5:16
Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another so that you may be healed. A prayer of a righteous person, when it is brought about, can accomplish much.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,360.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What's your deal today? I'm doing nothing different than anyone else on this forum, exactly what it was designed for, and you seem to be very accusational towards me about it.

And for what it's worth my main point with #3 was to eliminate the boxes we put ourselves in.

Forgive me for being strong about this but most theology has come about through traditional (usually denominational) thinking... not going out and learning with Him...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.