Committment to God made in ignorance

When I first accepted the Lord into my heart a few years back I conformed to the idea at my church the non-christian music was wrong. Because of that I made a committment to God to only listen to christian music. Since then I've come to realize that that whole ideology is completely pigeon holed and amounts to rubish, but I still made that committment. Does God require one to fullfill such a committment made in ignorance? What should I do?
Thanks

P.S. This site is a great thing. God bless its creator and all of you who take part in it.

Crazy Liz

Oct 28, 2003
California
✟23,305.00
Faith
Christian
You've asked for advice. I don't have any advice to directly answer your question. I think you may be looking for a scripture that tells you what to do in this situation. I can't think of one. But I can think of a story in scripture you might want to read, the story of Jephthah in Judges 11. Actually, the account of Jephthah's tenure as judge begins in Judges 10:6 and goes all the way to Judges 12:7. You probably should read it all to put it in context.

What do you think of the story when you first read it?

After meditating and praying for a while, do you have any new thoughts?

Upvote 0

JDRoss

Oct 11, 2003
Sioux Falls
Visit site
✟7,656.00
Faith
Christian
I dont think that non-christian music is wrong but I do believe that as a christian you have to be careful what you expose yourself to. After accepting Christ the first conviction that I reveived was about the music I listened to. I listen only to Christian music now mostly out of a view that music has a tremendous ability to influnce what you feel and what you believe. That and it helps to keep Jesus on my mind and in my heart.

My advice to you is to worship the Lord with all of your mind, heart, and strength.

:bow:

Upvote 0
JDRoss said:
I dont think that non-christian music is wrong but I do believe that as a christian you have to be careful what you expose yourself to. After accepting Christ the first conviction that I reveived was about the music I listened to. I listen only to Christian music now mostly out of a view that music has a tremendous ability to influnce what you feel and what you believe. That and it helps to keep Jesus on my mind and in my heart.

My advice to you is to worship the Lord with all of your mind, heart, and strength.

:bow:
Really the question is not whether non-christian music is wrong or not. I believe completely that non-christian music is good and can be beneficial, if not only in what it offers musically(Talented christian music is hard to find, and even that usually isn't my prefered style of music), in that it allows ;no forces; one to look outside one's own box of thinking and get into the mind of another. I'm not saying that it is beneficial to all, obviously those easily persuaded by the ideas, or lyrics, of others should beware of music which may have negative conotations, but to say that music that only fits in this little box is right is counterproductive. Where do the lines of christian music lie? What about instrumental music?
I do believe that it is great to listen to christian music, if you can stand it. I can only listen to it once and a while, you know a little third day and jars of clay, and God size megaphone. But my original question had nothing to do with the music, it was refering to commitments. I made the commitment I made with a veil over my eyes because I was too easily swayed by the beliefs of others, not those of rock artists, but those of pastors and youth in my church. Now I know that music goes beyond such things and certainly can't be constrained to such.

Oh and I don't mean to offend anyone, especially those of you kind enough to respond. I'm just rather opinionated when it comes to..., I guess any thought processes, quite to my dissadvantage I'm afraid.

Upvote 0
Crazy Liz said:
You've asked for advice. I don't have any advice to directly answer your question. I think you may be looking for a scripture that tells you what to do in this situation. I can't think of one. But I can think of a story in scripture you might want to read, the story of Jephthah in Judges 11. Actually, the account of Jephthah's tenure as judge begins in Judges 10:6 and goes all the way to Judges 12:7. You probably should read it all to put it in context.

What do you think of the story when you first read it?

After meditating and praying for a while, do you have any new thoughts?

Thanks the story has given me a lot to think about and pray about. I was however extremely surprised to see what came to pass in the story. I mean if he gave up his daughter I should be able to give up all music. But theres still a lot to think about. thanks

Upvote 0

Susan

退屈させた1 つ (bored one)
Feb 16, 2002
El Cajon, California, USA
Visit site
✟15,012.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I personally believe that the moral to the story of Jephthah's daughter is not his "devotion" in giving up his daughter but that it was there to show the utter foolishness of his vow and that he sinned in keeping the foolish vow in the way that he did.

He should have gone to God, confessed that he made a hasty and foolish vow, and IMHO I think God would have forgiven his vow, and no one would have been hurt. :sigh:

As for your vow, I would personally believe that a vow only has weight if you have objectively weighed both sides of the issue and it is based on legitimate premises, made a serious commitment to God, and if the vow is possible to keep without committing a sin in the process.

For example, let's say someone told you that eating meat was evil, and you hence vowed not to eat meat. However, you find later that there is nothing inherently wrong in eating meat. I personally believe that God would forgive your vow and allow you to eat meat as your vow was made under fraudulent pretenses and you now are convicted differently.

I'd like to say more, but I have to go to bed now. I just want you to know that while vows are serious business, that it is not something to become legalistic over. :hug:

Reactions: Crazy Liz
Upvote 0
"42 And the Lord said, "Who then is that faithful and wise steward, whom his master will make ruler over his household, to give them their portion of food in due season? 43 Blessed is that servant whom his master will find so doing when he comes. 44 Truly, I say to you that he will make him ruler over all that he has. 45 But if that servant says in his heart, 'My master is delaying his coming,' and begins to beat the male and female servants, and to eat and drink and be drunk, 46 the master of that servant will come on a day when he is not looking for him, and at an hour when he is not aware, and will cut him in two and appoint him his portion with the unbelievers. 47 And that servant who knew his master's will, and did not prepare himself or do according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes. 48 But he who did not know, yet committed things deserving of stripes, shall be beaten with few. For everyone to whom much is given, from him much will be required; and to whom much has been committed, of him they will ask the more." Luke 12 42-48

I hope this tells you more about the things of making promises you can't keep or made without thinking. And straight out of the mouth of Christ as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Christi

Mar 28, 2002
Visit site
✟4,038.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have a five year old daughter. In kindergarten they had a week where a dentist came and talked to them and told them about taking care of their teeth. She came home very fired up about it, and promised she would never, ever, ever eat candy again! I told her she didn't have to promise that, because as long as she brushed and flossed, and didn't eat too much candy, and ate good things.....a little candy was okay. Well, she was certain she should never, ever, ever eat candy. That lasted until her older brother came home with tootsie roll pops, (only an hour later, I may add). She caved, and took a purple one. I, nor anyone else had ever told her she couldn't ever again have candy. She's the one who made the "vow", she's the one who broke it. Was I mad?

I'm guessing God's not mad at you, either.

Reactions: Crazy Liz
Upvote 0

wvmtnkid

Order of the Candle
May 29, 2002
West Virginia
Visit site
✟10,466.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I think that whatever you decide to do is between you and the Lord. It was with Him that you made the committment and it is with Him you should consult when considering breaking that committment.

But, perhaps the lesson here is to watch what types of committments we make with the Lord and to watch who we let have sway over us. Now I am not getting on to you at all tubasteve, because if I were placed in your same situation, whose to say I wouldn't have done the same thing. But maybe this was done to help teach you about listening to others and THEIR convictions and making rash decisions or listening to God and reading His Word and doing what you feel He is leading YOU to do. Just a little food for thought....

Upvote 0

Ampmonster

Swords to plowshares
Nov 6, 2003
FL
Visit site
✟3,504.00
Faith
Catholic
i dont know about the commitment itself. but i love real heavy secular music. you cant understand the words most of the time so i listen to the music and the beat. i like christian music also, so i dont think its a problem. except for the commitment itself. ask yourself if there's any affect the music has, and im sure you and God can come to terms.

Upvote 0

patrice_kell

Sep 18, 2003
north carolina
Visit site
✟211.00
Faith
Methodist
I don't think that listening to non-christian music would be a bad thing. Even with the commitment that you have made. God knows and understands everything. He knows that you meant it when you made the commitment, and that you see now that it was made in iggnorance. I would talk to the One that you made the commitment with. He will let you know what is right if you listen.

I listen to Christian music alot, but if that were all I listened to, I would be missing out on a lot. I love all music. Christian and non-Christian.

Enjoy everything that God blesses you with in this life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mr.Cheese

Legend
Apr 14, 2002
✟21,948.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's a tough one.

There is good Christian music out there. You just have to dig for it.

it sounds like your heart is telling you to honor the commitment. If this is so then listen to that voice.
Your story will speak to those around you.

Ultimately this is between you and God.

Upvote 0

Follower of Christ

Literal 6 Day Creationist<br />''An Evening and a
Mar 12, 2003
✟7,754.00
Faith
Christian
tubasteve said:
When I first accepted the Lord into my heart a few years back I conformed to the idea at my church the non-christian music was wrong. Because of that I made a committment to God to only listen to christian music. Since then I've come to realize that that whole ideology is completely pigeon holed and amounts to rubish, but I still made that committment. Does God require one to fullfill such a committment made in ignorance? What should I do?
Thanks

P.S. This site is a great thing. God bless its creator and all of you who take part in it.
while Ive never made any commitments about music to God, i definetly notice a change in me when i listen to too much secular stuff.

Granted theres much neutral music out there and I think God would be fine with your listening to it, but heres a neat little something for you.

You made a commitment to Him, no?
Hes not going to send you to hell over that, BUT can you imagine the things He may bring about in your life for carrying thru with that commmitment?

You made a commitment in ignorance and Gods not into selling lemons.
I imagine under the circumastances you could just go back to listening to other stuff, but Id be willing to bet if you hold out and honor this pact with Him that He will make it much worth your while.

a few years back I cut my waste length hair for Him cause i was unsure about it.
It was kind of done in ignorance too, but as i cut it at the top of my neck i told Him that I was doing to so that i could honor Him with my life.

I cannot even begin to tell you the things He has done in my life thru that action.

Sure I could let it grow long again, but knowing what He may do thru my honoring Him, I would never let it grow like that again.....

Upvote 0