Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Trying out a new program, Colors 3d, which is a painting app on the 3ds. It is a simplified program compared to desktop apps and even painting apps on Android and IOS (Colors 3d is also available there as well). But it is convenient to take anywhere. And it is a challenge to work out a painting in the small area provided.

The other feature that makes it interesting is that you can upload to their online gallery. Each painting stores the process of creating it so that others can watch and learn.

Pretty happy with the outcome on this first painting considering it was on a Nintendo 3ds. You can click on the link to watch the process in a speedpaint.

Rocky Stream

rocky stream.png

There are lots of paintings on the site to watch and learn about people's process.

Anyone else tried this?

Last edited:
Reactions: Multifavs

Multifavs

Daughter of God
Site Supporter
May 28, 2017
USA
✟151,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Lovely drawing! I like how much detail you put into it. It is interesting to see how drawings are made.

I didn't know about Colors 3D before. The closest thing I have used is the 3DS game Pokemon Art Academy, and the DS game Art Academy.

• Friendly
Reactions: Tomm
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lovely drawing! I like how much detail you put into it. It is interesting to see how drawings are made.

I didn't know about Colors 3D before. The closest thing I have used is the 3DS game Pokemon Art Academy, and the DS game Art Academy.

I considered the regular art academy program, but it seemed pretty expensive comparatively, and I liked the online community for this program. Is the art academy program pretty good?

Upvote 0

Multifavs

Daughter of God
Site Supporter
May 28, 2017
USA
✟151,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I considered the regular art academy program, but it seemed pretty expensive comparatively, and I liked the online community for this program. Is the art academy program pretty good?
The original Art Academy is pretty good, the only downsides are that you can't undo anything and there is no real lineart tool. I guess it's supposed to be like making a real painting. The color mixing is nice, though. I believe there's also another Art Academy game for the 3DS but I don't know anything about it.

• Informative
Reactions: Tomm
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This has the usual undo, redo, etc., but I don't think any masking. It has a resizable hard round brush, soft round brush, and round bristle brush, and you can change the transparency on any of those. So in that regard it is similar to you basic photoshop tools, though I don't think it allows for importable custom brushes, etc.

It has zoom, pan, etc. And you can work on 5 separate layers (which is a good enough substitution for masking).

• Informative
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's outstanding. The rocks look really solid and 3d. Its really tough to make them look submerged or half submerged and you managed that too. Nice work.

Thanks. If you watch the speedpaint I had to adjust that water right by the waterfall quite a bit. The challenge was to make that work with the darker water that gives the perception of depth. It was fun though.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The original Art Academy is pretty good, the only downsides are that you can't undo anything and there is no real lineart tool. I guess it's supposed to be like making a real painting. The color mixing is nice, though. I believe there's also another Art Academy game for the 3DS but I don't know anything about it.
Do you have any paintings you have done in that app? We can broaden this to 3ds art.

Upvote 0

Multifavs

Daughter of God
Site Supporter
May 28, 2017
USA
✟151,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Do you have any paintings you have done in that app? We can broaden this to 3ds art.
I don't think you can upload drawings from the original Art Academy to your computer, but I do have some of my Pokemon Art Academy drawings on the computer. :)

Bluda.JPG

Eevee 1.JPG

Raichu.JPG

I used preset backgrounds for the first two and drew it myself for the third.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think you can upload drawings from the original Art Academy to your computer, but I do have some of my Pokemon Art Academy drawings on the computer. :)

View attachment 247442

View attachment 247443

View attachment 247444

I used preset backgrounds for the first two and drew it myself for the third.

I like the third background better because it is not as busy. I have trouble getting such smooth lines on the program. You must have a steady hand! Those look good.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I used to have this app on 3ds but grew bored with it quickly and deleted it.
Well I can see how it might have a waning appeal over time. The resolution is limited, so not really for finished works. The features are a bit spartan. Still, for now I am enjoying the challenge.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Took a break for vacation, but now am back at practicing on the Nintendo. This is a quick practice based on reference from the book "Expressions: A Reference for Artists" which has various facial expressions. Kind of an odd expression and angle, but good practice.

prsketcres.png

practice sketch

Last edited:
Upvote 0