Visit site
✟13,463.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
I feel like college students are neglected... let me explain. I was looking for about an hour tonight for a devotional that targets College students.. how many did I find.. that's right NONE... now, Youth have their own set of devotionals... and so do singles... and children... but never college students. It was quite depressing.

Why is it?

I totally understand that as a college student I am a single (some of us) and that I can fit into the youth section... however, I am a college student and I deal with different things.

Maybe it is just me... does anyone else feel this way?

Inspired

only hurts when I breathe
Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
✟6,494.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
http://www.wjbc.org/College%2520Ministry.htm

Sunday Morning Bible Study
Sunday Morning Bible Study stands as the foundational element of the college ministry at West Jackson Baptist Church. Classes meet weekly at 9:00 a.m. and 10:20 a.m. College Sunday School classes are designed to address the needs of college students in today's world. By basing this area of ministry on a relational approach, students and adults are better able to equip one another for ministry. Students are invited to participate in various leadership areas of the Bible Study ministry. Furthermore, they are encouraged to express their views of scripture openly in a non-threatening environment that seeks to find the true meaning of God's Word and apply it to life's everyday situations.

That's the only one I know of near you

Upvote 0

Shannonkish

Proud member of the Loud Few
Sep 12, 2003
Visit site
✟13,463.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Hey. Thank you for the information. I appreciate it.

I wasn't talking about a bible study as in a group gathering.. I meant like a devotional book.

In Jackson, where I live.. there are TONS of college ministries.

I need a devotional book for my quiet times... but I couldn't find one geared toward students.

Upvote 0

Inspired

only hurts when I breathe
Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
✟6,494.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Shannonkish said:
Hey. Thank you for the information. I appreciate it.

I wasn't talking about a bible study as in a group gathering.. I meant like a devotional book.

In Jackson, where I live.. there are TONS of college ministries.

I need a devotional book for my quiet times... but I couldn't find one geared toward students.
Oh my bad, lol
yea you are right, I don't know of many, I got mine from my pastor, but there are a ton of Christian books geared toward college students on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/103-1640619-5016603

Upvote 0

girlscoutdropout

scroll button 1, 2, 1, 2!
Oct 23, 2002
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Visit site
✟8,356.00
Faith
Non-Denom
i agree, i feel like i'm in an awkward stage of my life right now where i don't really belong anywhere. it's especially difficult becuase i look so young. i'm 21, but could pass for 15, even 13 on a really bad day. it's like every time i wanna join something new, the adults look at me like "you don't belong here, you're too young," and i'm too old to hang out with the youth group. besides, i think that teenagers tend to be clickey (however you spell that.. )

Upvote 0

Shannonkish

Proud member of the Loud Few
Sep 12, 2003
Visit site
✟13,463.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
I think to some degree all college students or people in that age range feel that way... Like I said.... we are not the youth group... but we are not in the "Woman/Men" category according to society. So it is almost like that awkward stage between Elementary and Highschool.... Middle School... where you really don't fit anywhere.

It would be extremely nice to have College Oriented things more often.

But that is just my take.

Upvote 0

Pope Gonzo

Jul 14, 2003
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟16,540.00
Faith
Christian
Actually, I kind of enjoy being in the "overlooked/left out" portion of society. I mean, it's funny when politicians try to campaign to us, and it's funny when the government or public service groups try to talk to us. I dunno... I guess I'm just glad I'm not getting noticed now :)

Upvote 0

vibrant

now more than ever, i cherish the cross
Feb 6, 2003
✟11,179.00
Faith
Christian
Pope Gonzo said:
Actually, I kind of enjoy being in the "overlooked/left out" portion of society. I mean, it's funny when politicians try to campaign to us, and it's funny when the government or public service groups try to talk to us. I dunno... I guess I'm just glad I'm not getting noticed now :)
there's always a bright side.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Unfortunately there is a huge problem facing the church. Approx 90% of students leave the church after they graduate high school. This is a sad fact...but it is true. I contribute this to the fact that so many churches do not see the need for college ministries. They expect 18 y/os to join the adult service when they are still kids. They feel disconnected and unwanted in the church. What needs to happen is that churches need to look at the college ministries as seriously as they look at youth ministries.

Upvote 0

shout2thelord

adopted aussie :)
Oct 11, 2002
crewe, england
Visit site
✟2,215.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Our church has decided to open up the coffee shop on a saturday night which is really cool. for fellowship and teaching and are also looking to do some on campus stuff.
Our youth group is for 11-25 yr olds and most are between 15 and 23 so i fit in quite well there as well.
Our church also has an adopt a student thing were students living away from home can be linked with a family and go round for lunch and that sorta thing.

I got saved when i started university because someone from church was at the freshers fair and invited me to church.

so i guess im blessed.

Upvote 0

JOYfulbeliever

Oct 10, 2002
✟3,922.00
Faith
Baptist
Shannon, I totally agree...it is hard to find devotionals geared toward the college student.

Have you tried "Experiencing God"? I did that while I was in college and it was a really good thing for me. It has a "workbook/journal" as well. I started doing more the "women's devotionals" or "singles" because I couldn't find many that seemed to be what I needed. I'll see if I can come across some though...I'll be back...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

erinm

Sep 21, 2003
Newnan
✟189.00
Faith
Christian
I'm just curious where exactly everyone is from. I'm in college and I too find it hard to find a devotion or biblestudy that is geared towards our age group. dont' get me wrong, I have finally found a really good biblestudy that is on my campus this year, I am really growing. before though, I have gone to a college and career group called 7/22, it's in Atlanta, Ga--if you are in the area, i recommend you check it out--it's a gathering of a thousand students our age and the worship is awesome, the bible study is led by Loui Giglio, he's a man of God, a really good speaker too! If you'd like more information on this, go to 722.org! Good luck in your searching, i always pray for us students because sometimes--i know this isn't true--i feel like we are the only ones.

God speed!:holy:

Upvote 0

Blake

Musically Challenged
Jul 1, 2003
Vanuatu
Visit site
✟8,045.00
Faith
Christian
erinm, one of my buddies goes to 7/22 he says its an awesome experience. I've been invited a few times, I just haven't been able to free myself to go yet. He'll probably pop in sooner or later and talk about it for a bit.

I think I'm really blessed though as far as having a church that includes college students. We have a college sunday school class and on wed. nights most college students are helping or doing the teaching for other classes. So, we are very involved with our church. But, if it is hard for you to find a church to go to join a religious club and make friends, then start visiting different churches in your area untill you find one that you love. Its much more comfortable to go to an unfamiliar church with some people you know, than it is by yourself.

Upvote 0

erinm

Sep 21, 2003
Newnan
✟189.00
Faith
Christian
I have found a group to grow deeper in my walk with God with and after much prayer, I decided to move to a school a little bit closer to home to continue going to my church. Thing is, while the ministries at this church are excellent, the college and career is always last on the priority for the agenda. I am thankful that the group sticks through it, and a lot of good things have been happening lately in the group, that's why we can't give up and need to encourage each other to continue seeking a place of worship. WE all know they exist.

sidebar, Blake, You really should go to 7/22, you are really missing out.

Upvote 0

Kahnrtis

As for me and my house
Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
✟15,191.00
Faith
Christian
blake said:
He'll probably pop in sooner or later and talk about it for a bit.
I guess that's my cue. 7/22 is awesome. Blake knows it's cool, b/c I always tell him about it. You go there asking yourself, "What can God teach me today." You come out saying, "How can God use me today." If there is a college-age Bible study around where you live, check it out. It's worth it, even if you have to drive a little bit to get there.

Reactions: Blake
Upvote 0