United States
✟8,313.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Like if your degree is IT based (computers, web, software, hardware, biotechnology, technology in general) then its a always expanding field of dreams.

Just to clarify, IT is a HORRIBLE career to get into these days. I think the term you are looking for is computer science.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟567,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Don't take this badly, but Liberty, at least the online campus, is a bit of a diploma-mill. Truth be told, almost all of the online campuses are for under-graduate work. That is why so many businesses now look for folks who have done post-graduate work.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟567,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
As for paying, there is always aid available. But, if you want to be debt-free, there is always the GI Bill for a commitment of 3-6 years of military service. And trust me, after 3-6 years of enlisted military service, you will be motivated to do well in college.

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
1) Don't go if you're not ready to deal with things socially. I don't mean "partying", I mean the social interactions that make up life in college -- study groups, study partners, meeting people, making friends, talking respectfully but NOT too ingratiatingly to your instructors (who are just regular humans, after all), and so on. I'm not saying you're not ready for that, of course. And of course you'll learn more about it. But if you are REALLY not ready, take a year before college to "educate" yourself by working and living (if possible) away from your parents.

Why do I say this? In my freshman dorm, three people I was friendly with freaked out and left in the first 3 months. One, who was probably well-prepared academically, because she couldn't deal with meeting people.

2) Agree with @Albion -- never consider an online degree (you'd be better off with no degree at all and just learning a trade).

3) Do consider a trade. College is not the route to security that people said it was 20-40 years ago. If you're interested in or at all inclined to do skilled work with your hands -- auto repair, plumbing, electrical work, any number of things -- seriously consider going into that. Even if you do "go to college", gain some of those skills anyway. You won't regret it.

• Agree
Reactions: Shane R
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There are many jobs that you can make good money at without a college degree. Granted, you have to learn a trade skill. But at least you will not put yourself into huge debt with college (Whereby you can buy a house instead - which is an investment) and you do not have to go thru the heart ache of dealing with the influence of the world by being around students (who are wordly focused). College is what the masses do. Think outside the box. Granted, I am not saying you cannot make money by not going to college, you just can save yourself a lot of money and problems by not going to college and still have a good living. Search for high paying jobs without a college degree. Then ask God to help you to see what field fits your talents the best.

Side Note: I would highly discourage going into the military to pay for college. Shooting people is not the way of God. Also, I would highly discourage people to go to Bible college, as well. They are going to teach you what they think the Bible says at times and it is not about studying to show yourself approved unto God (2 Timothy 2:15). It shouldn't be complicated to get a good paying job. People start internet businesses or they publish books and make good money. That would be a better risk to make in my opinion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"How should I go about paying for it?"

There are SO many grants and stuff out there. You HAVE to look and look hard. My wife lol keep finding them. And my boys got a few of them. Follow your heart. God put that desire there and made a way for it to come to pass. And MOST OF ALL

HAVE FAITH! He LOVES YOU .. HE IS for you. Let HIM lead

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,216.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I agree with lots of the good advice that has gone by. I'll expand on one point that was made: You may not necessarily get into your first-choice school, so apply to a few others as well. If you're looking specifically for Christian schools, there are many well-regarded ones. I went to Wheaton College (the one in Illinois) and had a good experience. The colleges listed at Christian College Consortium Member Institutions are in a consortium with Wheaton, indicating that you can expect a good education from an accredited institution, with a Christian emphasis in the curriculum. There are other Christian schools as well; if you're looking specifically at schools in Virginia, Eastern Mennonite is one option.

There's a longer list of Christian schools in the Wikipedia article on the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities, Council for Christian Colleges and Universities - Wikipedia. I'm not familiar with all the colleges on this (pretty lengthy) list, so I can't vouch for them all, but it's a place to start your web research.

College isn't safe, intellectually. You will be challenged, and your faith will be challenged. But it's a good experience; you will go through the challenge, and you will grow. The Christian colleges I listed (and others like them) have as part of their mission to help their students grow into intellectually mature Christian adults.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As for paying for college, your financial aid will likely be determined by your parents' income.
This is true. While I realize many things have changed in the 40 years since I graduated college, I think this one stays the same:

Include ONLY your parents' income. When I applied, my mom filled out the financial forms and listed her income, my step dad's income, my dad's income, and my grandparents' income. So I got next to nothing in financial aid.

Upvote 0