Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What is the typical benchmark of education, that you're expected to know before going to college?

What are some good tips about college?

What is it like?

How should I go about paying for it?

Basically, what are the need to know things, that I need to know, in order to get, first of all accepted, and second of all, pass with at the very least a B grade.

Lyman1969

Feb 11, 2017
USA
✟18,035.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
What is the typical benchmark of education, that you're expected to know before going to college?

It varies by college. It takes a lot more education and money to get into Harvard than say, NC State. Generally speaking, a high school diploma and good SAT scores should be enough to get you into most state universities.

Don't get caught up in the parties, and pick a degree that's going to help you in more than one field. A highly specialized degree is all well and fine, but if you wind up not liking the job you've specialized for, then you're at a disadvantage going for a different field than someone who went in and got a versatile degree. My girlfriend's going for Psychology, even though she wants to be in Marketing. It's a good degree for her chosen field (Knowing a lot about how people think is very important for marketing), and has options in case she ever wants something different.

What is it like?
Stressful, but very rewarding. It's a lot of hard work.

My girlfriend's working part time and getting support from me and her parents, but that's a very special situation. If you have a way to do it without going into debt, do it. If not, wait and save. If you for some reason can't, then take a student loan and hope you find a job fairly quick.

Basically, what are the need to know things, that I need to know, in order to get, first of all accepted, and second of all, pass with at the very least a B grade.
Get good grades in high school, get a high score on the SAT, and you should be accepted easily. As for passing, study, study, study. Don't party all night, don't drink, don't do dope, don't slack off, and don't skip classes. It'll probably be very boring watching all your friends go to parties while you study alone, but the means justify the end on this one. There'll be time for parties later when you have a nice job and a big house to throw them in.

I had my girlfriend write this for me, since she's the one actually in college. A GED is as far as I'm going, since I'm personally doing quite alright without a college degree, and personally feel it'd be a waste of money for me.

• Agree
Reactions: nuranoora
Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship

Pretty much everything that's covered in high school, and then some. They'll expect you to know how to research, write essays longer than just a couple of pages, and things such as that. Basically, it's expected that you payed attention in high school and know what you are doing academically.

1) Pick a major on something you are interested in, but also something you can make money off of. Take this time to figure out what you're interested in and figure out how to make a career out of it. You don't have to shy away from liberal arts major or stick solely to STEM fields. To a point, you do you, but make sure you also plan for your career.
2) You have to study. If you don't know how to study, learn. I didn't study in high school so my first semester of college kicked my butt, but I quickly turned things around because I had no other choice. You will have to study.
3) Make good friends, but remember you are there to get an education. Your primary focus in college should be your education, but having a good friend support I think goes a long in that. Get involved in a club, organization, play intramural sports if that's your thing.
4) Try new things. There was a lot of things that I found out I liked in college that I had no idea because I never had the chance to try it in college.
5) Don't be afraid to ask questions. You in school to learn and get an education, don't be afraid of your professors to ask questions and don't be afraid to seek help if you need it. If you are curious about something, investigate it further
6) Don't skip class unless you are sick. Nobody's perfect, there were some classes I just blatantly skipped because I didn't want to go, but for the most part, unless I was too sick, I went.

What is it like?

It's incredibly stressful, busy, and full of hard-work but also the best time of your life. I figured it out once and with all of my classes, coursework, work, and extracurricular activities I averaged about 70-80 hours a week normally, during busier periods of time that would easily go up over 100 hours. There would be days I was only home to sleep and doing homework and/or something else through breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It wasn't that uncommon to go 8-9am to 10-11PM non-stop. I didn't even have a busy schedule compared to some of my friends.

Pray for energy, strength, and willpower.

There's too many variables to say this. It would depend on where you want to go, what you want to major in, etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wolfe

Pack Leader
Aug 24, 2016
United states
✟59,662.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What comes to my mind immediately are two thoughts: 1) much of this depends on which college or type of college you attend, and 2) some of the rest can best be answered only if we know where you are now--age, education level, high school grades, etc.
17, high school level education at the moment, 4.0 gpa.
And Liberty University is the one I have my eyes on.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟788,800.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That's good. Can see where some paradigm shifts will be required.

Research your major completely. If possible, tag along with a professional in the prospective field. When approaching your last 2 years of undergraduate study, be firm in your career choice because switching majors can be expensive. But if you have to, you have to. Depending on your choice, sometimes a second major can be added with a semester or two of classes.

Keep your catalog because that's your plumb line, your contract. Class syllabuses define your instructors' expectations. Be organized. For example, one large calendar allows for key dates from all classes to be noted. Do project type work ahead of time. "Finish" it and let it sit for a couple of days, then review your masterpiece. You'll be surprised at a weakness you didn't realize beforehand. If reserved materials at the library are required reading, know that sometimes it gets "unavailable" especially if the due date is close. Team projects are - well, they're a real pain imo. You may find the only time everyone can all get together is 11:30 Sunday - 11:30 pm. Anyway .. If possible talk with students who have had your instructor before, they can usually provide insight into pet peeves, etc.

Studying for mid-terms and finals should be a review.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Far Side Of the Moon

" The moon is high& the stars are aligned" :)
Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
What made you change your mind about college?

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The most important thing to persist in seeking God's will for you. Then get in the habit of asking him for help to accomplish what he wants for you. When you are in God's will this way, you can be certain he will help you, because he is responsible for the consequences when you are being obedient to him.

Being ready for college:

They won't be doing any learning for you. You go to a college so you can learn for yourself. The college is only a source of guidance and resources for that. (thought experiment: disregarding having the diploma, why don't you just buy all the books they will be using and work your way through them?) College is a letter grade harder than high school for many people. A person who got straight Bs in high school is on track to get straight Cs in college. Sometimes relying on going to classes and talking with the instructor guarantees you a failing grade unless you take the initiative to learn the material (e.g., how England's colleges handle some classes).

If you take a full course load you will need (on the order of) more hours than there are in a week to learn the material well. To learn the material well, you will sometimes need to seek out more material than is presented in the class. (I'm talking about learning, not just being able to pass the tests.) Some future classes will build on whatever foundation you have from previous classes. Shoot for getting As in all your classes, not Bs. Even a barely passing A grade means you didn't learn the material well enough to build on in the next semester if the upcoming class is hard.

Studying is easier if you are interested in the class topics. Try to look for reasons to be interested in each class' material. You can talk to people in the workplace that use the material, for example. You will thank the Lord with a shout next semester if you truly understand what you were supposed to have learned (homework is practice, practice, practice).

Get all the sleep your body needs. Doing homework all the time burns a lot of calories. Eat properly and sleep. Note that whatever habits you establish are going to help or hinder your study for the next several years. You want your mind to be in a state where you can comfortably ponder tangential issues to what you are learning. Consider that it takes more than a semester of work for material to stick in your long-term memory. An unrested mind is worse at this, and I think its probably impossible for some people.

If something unexpected happens during the semester that causes you to get more than a couple weeks behind (e.g., family tragedy), recognize that you probably can't catch up. Since your final grades are so important, consider talking to the college Dean about your options (such as dropping to a partial load for the rest of that semester).

Recognize that some classes have way more hours of homework than others. Find out which classes they are and don't take too many of these classes in the same semester. Even taking two at the same time can be a mistake that you experience the pain of for months.

Good grades are not just about how easy it is to get a job. They have a big impact on your ability to get the kind of job you want.

(Apparently my college experience was painful enough that I want to pass on everything I figured out in retrospect to save others pain, so I better stop now!)

• Agree
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟171,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You are expected to have a general education. If you'd like to know the particular standards that one is expected to meet, then you should take a look at the Common Core. I honestly don't care if you are for or against said standards, that is what is used to determine readiness for college/university. http://www.corestandards.org/wp-content/uploads/Math_Standards.pdf
Of course, were I you, I'd simply take the SAT and the ACT. Your scores will determine if you can get into various colleges/universities.

What is it like?
It depends on your college/university, your major, and if you are living on campus, off campus, or at home with family.

Scholarships, Federal Student Aid, a job, your parents. It will vary depending on your situation.
Start by filling this out:
FAFSA - Free Application for Federal Student Aid

1) Not all degrees are created equally. Some are much easier to achieve than others.

For example, I have a BA in Anthropology with a minor in English. While I enjoyed those classes immensely, they were a cake walk for me. It took little effort to get wonderful grades. I realize it isn't like that for everyone. I have a master's degree that was also a cake walk for me. I had a lot of time to do non-academic things.

I also have a BSN (nursing). It took up all of my time. I was constantly studying (alone and in groups), constantly going to clinicals, constantly turning in individual and group assignments, constantly doing evidenced-based research, and the courses were rigidly scheduled to take up every bit of time I had. I had no life while in nursing school. The classes were harder and the standards were higher than in the liberal arts.

2) Get an accredited degree. Never put in the effort for a degree only to discover it was all meaningless.

3) Get a useful degree. So many people have useless liberal arts degrees out there and then can't find jobs. For example, go to the ballet. Look at the program. Read the inserts about the dancers. These days all of them have a degree in the sciences- a true back up plan for their first love- which was the fine arts degree.

4) Pay attention to the syllabus. These days, syllabi (the plural of syllabus) are comprehensive regarding everything you need to know and do for the courses in question.

5) Do not dither around. Decide what you're going to do and stick with it. Don't blow in the wind and change majors like underwear.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Poppyseed78

Supporter
Sep 13, 2016
US
✟275,982.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I assume you're in high school, so I would recommend meeting with a guidance counselor at your school to discuss the SAT or ACT, the college application and admissions process, and financial aid. They have a wealth of information.

To be accepted to a four-year school, generally you will be required to take the SAT or ACT. State schools tend to be less selective than Ivy League schools, and in-state tuition is cheaper. I attended a state school for college. In addition, if your grades aren't great, and admission to a 4-year school isn't feasible, or you can't afford it, a community college is a good option. Many people choose to go to a community college for 2 years (which will earn an Associate's Degree), and then they transfer to a 4-year school to get their Bachelor's. You could also opt to live at home and commute rather than living on campus.

Have you discussed your future plans with your parents? It's best to find out as soon as possible what kind of financial contribution they will be able to make for your education. If you aren't able to pay out of pocket, you should apply for financial aid through FAFSA (as someone mentioned above). You might qualify for need-based scholarships or work study programs. Also, you can try applying for merit-based scholarships (for good grades, athletic skills, or other achievements). Loans are another option, but you need to keep in mind that with interest, you will be paying back much more than the original loan amount. Again, your school's guidance department should be able to help with this.

Once you get an idea which schools you want to apply to, you can call their admissions and financial aid departments to get more information. Application info should be easy to find on the schools' websites. Try to get involved with extra-curricular activities, clubs, or sports so that you stand out more on your application. Study and try to keep up your GPA.

As for college itself, the environment can vary greatly from one school to the next. Some campuses are small and some are huge. Some are located in a big city, and some are more rural. It might be a good idea to visit schools before you apply. Many schools offer tours to high school students to give them a better sense of college life. No matter where you choose to attend, keep in mind that you are responsible for your own learning. Professors aren't as involved as high school teachers typically are.

I would personally suggest considering a major in a field that will give you a higher chance of finding a job after graduation. Obviously you should consider what you are good at, and what you enjoy, but generally speaking, a major like public health or accounting would yield better results at finding a job than English or philosophy. There are exceptions to this, of course, but it's just something to think about. Most schools don't require you to declare a major until the end of your second year, so you have time.

Socializing is a big part of college life, but I would recommend keeping your priorities straight. You are there to earn a degree, not to party. Make wise choices about how you spend your time.

I know this is a lot of information, but hopefully it helped. There are a lot of resources available online about college application and admissions.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

Wolfe

Pack Leader
Aug 24, 2016
United states
✟59,662.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What made you change your mind about college?
Someday I want a family.

And I wanna be able to provide for that family, comfortably, and give my kids a good, but deserved life.

And you can't really make a whole lot of money without a degree, and it's just so much easier to find a job.

Upvote 0

Poppyseed78

Supporter
Sep 13, 2016
US
✟275,982.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I see you were homeschooled, so my suggestion to meet with your school's guidance department might not be helpful. In that case, you still have the option to take the SAT or ACT, but you will probably have to get in touch with your local high school for testing dates. You can buy a test-prep book like Barron's to help you review.

The application process usually occurs in the fall, with a deadline of December 1. Schools let applicants know if they were accepted the following winter/spring. You mentioned a school you're interested in, so I think it would be a good idea to call their admissions department for information about applying. They will tell you exactly what you need to know.

A local community college is also an option if you choose not to take the SAT or ACT. It's cheaper, but still gives you the opportunity to transfer to a 4-year college later on to get a Bachelor's.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship

Don't apply to just one school. I would recommend applying to 3, your first choice, your backup, and depending how confident you are, either your complete fall back plan, or a reach school. The first step you need to do is contact the schools' admisson's department, they will help guide you through the process and what they require for admissions. Visit every campus you apply to, if you can.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Poppyseed's post reminds me one important thing about college: the majority of Christians fall away from Christ while in college. However, if you were homeschooled because your parents want to integrate Jesus into your upbringing, then you will be better armored than most.

It would be a good idea to join a Christian campus organization (or two), because it is an easy way to find a bunch of Christians your age that are not Christians in name only. After college it will never be this easy again. Invest in your relationships with spiritually healthy friends.

All colleges, even Christian ones, are places where people are suddenly "free" from their parents and they will feel the "freedom" to try all kinds of things and discover how many spiritually unhealthy activities are enjoyable.

The Holy Spirit writing through Paul didn't say "might corrupt good morals":

Do not be deceived: “Bad company corrupts good morals.” (1 Corinthians 15:33, NASB)

On another note, some people enjoy the less intense environment of a community college, but it is worthwhile to seek to understand how well those credits transfer to a four-year university if that is your plan.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Far Side Of the Moon

" The moon is high& the stars are aligned" :)
Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Someday I want a family.

And I wanna be able to provide for that family, comfortably, and give my kids a good, but deserved life.

And you can't really make a whole lot of money without a degree, and it's just so much easier to find a job.
That's true. That's good you're actually thinking these things through.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟788,800.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Also, verify that the educational institution is accredited by a major national organization. In the US, one such accreditation is the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. In other words, would your college credits transfer if you needed to change schools while pursuing your educational goals? Is one concern.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

What is it like?

Many colleges provide information on their admission pages about the high school curriculum they recommend to applicants, so I encourage you to start there. Though some colleges (state universities in particular) have specific requirements, others merely have guidelines and will consider students who have taken educational paths that strayed from the traditional. You should also be able to find guidelines specific to students who have homeschooled. I'll post a couple of links purely as examples:
Academic Preparation
Guidelines for Home-Schooled Applicants

The forum College Confidential is a useful resource because many of the posters are fellow applicants or current students at the schools you're interested in and are willing to share what they've learned and experienced.

Have you already taken the SAT or ACT? If not, be sure to allow ample time to prepare and take the test, and ideally to be able to retake it if you're not satisfied with your first score. Most colleges require that you take one of the tests. If the test fees are a financial burden you might be able to apply for a waiver. The College Board's site has information about this, how to plan out your test prep, and the test dates and registration deadlines.

I read a thread you posted earlier this year about some of your struggles with loneliness and being unfulfilled, but didn't have the time to respond then. A possibility that sprung to mind while reading it was starting college early. I moved off to college a few months after turning 17, and though it was an intimidating leap of faith, I landed on my feet and thrived. I think you could as well. From a financial perspective it could help you if you went to a community college or state university where you could earn dual enrollment credit. In some states (emphasis on some, not all) those fees are covered since it counts as your high school education as well as college. Some have online programs so if there isn't one within a reasonable distance that could still be feasible. If you're homeschooling and have flexibility with your schedule, you might be able to just graduate early and start as a full-time college student rather than going the dual enrollment route. Some community colleges will permit you to begin if you've taken high school equivalency test like the GED.

As for paying for college, your financial aid will likely be determined by your parents' income. If you cannot rely on their assistance, speak with the financial aid department at the colleges you're considering to understand what options might be available to you. There are programs like Questbridge that assist students in need of financial aid who are applying to elite colleges. If you do decide to go to a private school and will be taking out student loans to cover the costs, thoroughly consider whether the financial investment will pay off with the career you intend to pursue. This article is a few years old but it gives some information about how to calculate the net worth of a college degree:
Calculating the Net Worth of a College Degree

I have midterms this week so I have to jet, but please feel free to send me a PM if you ever have any questions. :)

Upvote 0

OJR

Weirdo
Jan 24, 2017
United States
✟8,313.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • If you don't know what you want to do, go to a community college and take lots of different classes.
  • When looking at picking a major, don't think about it in terms of what you LIKE to do, but where the job market is growing and your interests intersect.

What is it like?
  • I went to a technical school, so it was different than most campuses. Mostly, it was a lot of work. Most of my time was spent doing projects. I didn't party in college, but there wasn't much of a scene.
  • If you can, get a part-time job or income stream and try to cash-flow it. It sometimes helps to go to community college to get your Gen-ed classes out of the way, then transfer to a university to finish your major.
  • Apply to scholarships, every one you can.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'd just like to say make sure the degree your going for in college will still be of use in a few years after your done. I find to many people who spent alot at college only to find the job they want using their degree is beyond hard to find. Or the degree doesn't do much good since the job has changed alot.

Like if your degree is IT based (computers, web, software, hardware, biotechnology, technology in general) then its a always expanding field of dreams.

Upvote 0