Poultry in Motion
Aug 14, 2006
Georgia
✟19,470.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
The Jews were and are Caucasians , God promised that Abrahams descendants would be as numerous as the sands , Israel today does not fit that category . The ten tribes that were driven north over the caucus mountains eventually settling in Europe and then America are the descendants of Abraham . The Christian nations are the ten lost tribes read Genesis 48 and 49 .

lolcatfail.jpg

Oh...also History FAIL.

Upvote 0

RaiseTheDead

Jul 15, 2012
✟1,035.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Most Christians hold who they think Christ is in esteem, but then show a rather disturbing lack of concern for what Christ did and taught. Since in many Protestant circles, belief is the salvatory necessity, actually doing the things Christ commanded and taught are of a completely secondary, and even unimportant nature. As such, the reverence is not really there, since it does not follow with any real commitment.

:confused: What??

How are you in any position to be making such a sweeping indictment? It seems you have distorted Truth far more than the "many Protestant circles" you're alluding to.

Upvote 0

Christianmilitaryofficer

May 4, 2012
✟646.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
:confused: What??

How are you in any position to be making such a sweeping indictment? It seems you have distorted Truth far more than the "many Protestant circles" you're alluding to.

Actually Protestant theology holds that belief is salvatory, not action; what I said was theologically correct.

Upvote 0

RaiseTheDead

Jul 15, 2012
✟1,035.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
what I said was theologically correct.

Well, whatever "theology" might (or might not) have to do with this, you also said that "actually doing the things Christ commanded and taught are of a completely secondary, and even unimportant nature. As such, the reverence is not really there, since it does not follow with any real commitment."

This is the sort of thing that violates the entire premise of this site existing, breaks at least a few rules - and generally sucks the life out of a room. Plus, it's false.

Have a nice day :wave:

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
This is the sort of thing that violates the entire premise of this site existing, breaks at least a few rules - and generally sucks the life out of a room. Plus, it's false.

In my estimation, the majority of self-identified Christians are not very concerned with any moral teachings their religion teaches. Granted, I could say that about just about every other religion.

I think the problem he is speaking of are the people who take the whole idea that they are saved and end there because they think that is enough. As I said, they are probably the majority of self-identified Christians.

Upvote 0

RaiseTheDead

Jul 15, 2012
✟1,035.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
In my estimation, the majority of self-identified Christians are not very concerned with any moral teachings their religion teaches. Granted, I could say that about just about every other religion.

I think the problem he is speaking of are the people who take the whole idea that they are saved and end there because they think that is enough. As I said, they are probably the majority of self-identified Christians.

Hi! That may well be the case. Not having personally surveyed the majority of Christians on the planet, I couldn't say. I've known quite a few that violate that mold, though ;)

The statement that was made, is that it is an aspect of Protestants, and/or protestant reform. Hopefully you can clearly see how wildly different that is?

Upvote 0

Christianmilitaryofficer

May 4, 2012
✟646.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Well, whatever "theology" might (or might not) have to do with this, you also said that "actually doing the things Christ commanded and taught are of a completely secondary, and even unimportant nature. As such, the reverence is not really there, since it does not follow with any real commitment."

And this is Protestant theology. The theological evolution of Martin Luther, which was later adopted in one fashion or another by Calvin or Zwingli. The works based theology of Catholicism, that requires repentance as a Sacrament, requires baptism, requires action. This is what Luther rejected, in part because of the corruption of the Catholic Church at the time, but Luther also threw the baby out with the bath water in rejecting the actions Christ commanded.

Have a nice day :wave:

Not at all. If you do not know the above, you have been failed by many people in your life, to include pastors, teachers, parents, etc... It is kind of interesting, however, that you would say it violates the site rules. The site rules begin with the Council of Nicaea, which happened well after Christ. There were decades of Christianity before Nicaea, and it was a vibrant and relatively dynamic faith.

What you think is Christianity certainly has numbers, but it is not the entirety of the story. It ignores the history and depth that Christianity has, that does not come through. Delving the depth of that story, delving the depth of your faith, could do several things...

1. You could leave Christianity. Information has that possibility.
2. You could grow as a Christian.

Christians are trying to shield the faith because of number 1, and this is a significant possibility. What is missed is that without 2, people leave anyway, because no one wants a faith without depth.

Upvote 0

Christianmilitaryofficer

May 4, 2012
✟646.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Hi! That may well be the case. Not having personally surveyed the majority of Christians on the planet, I couldn't say. I've known quite a few that violate that mold, though ;)

Then they likely do not know or follow their theology.

The statement that was made, is that it is an aspect of Protestants, and/or protestant reform. Hopefully you can clearly see how wildly different that is?

Please explain.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Really? Volunteer for a few weeks or year with Mennonite Central Committee, Christians Peacemaker Teams, or Salvation Army. Or just come to my church. People who sit on their @ss and do nothing are sadly present in many churches, but that does not mean that most or all of us are like that. Kind of like saying that all religious orthodox Jews are like the settlers I have observed terrorize Palestinian farmers and kids around Hebron, and who tried to cripple if not kill me, two summers ago.

Self-identified Christians do not always go to church. Reflect upon the phrase "Self-identified Christians" and then get back to me.

Upvote 0

TG123

Jul 1, 2006
somewhere
✟14,469.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Self-identified Christians do not always go to church. Reflect upon the phrase "Self-identified Christians" and then get back to me.
By self-identified Christian, I think someone who says they are a Christian. I know very few people who say they are Christians and do not actually go to church. I do think many of them could be doing more to work for the betterment of society, but I know many other Christians who are doing just that, and all of them identify as Christians too.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
By self-identified Christian, I think someone who says they are a Christian. I know very few people who say they are Christians and do not actually go to church. I do think many of them could be doing more to work for the betterment of society, but I know many other Christians who are doing just that, and all of them identify as Christians too.

Seriously? 75% of the population of the US identifies as some form of Christian. Are you going to honestly tell me that 75% of the US population is in Church on Sunday and not, say, watching football or mowing their grass or sleeping in or whatever else people decide to do on Sunday?

Upvote 0

TG123

Jul 1, 2006
somewhere
✟14,469.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Seriously? 75% of the population of the US identifies as some form of Christian. Are you going to honestly tell me that 75% of the US population is in Church on Sunday and not, say, watching football or mowing their grass or sleeping in or whatever else people decide to do on Sunday?
Most people I speak to downtown where I live do not identify themselves to me as Christian... not that I usually go around asking people what their faith is but sometimes when it does come up, many people will say they believe in God but do not follow any religion. When someone tells me he or she is a Christian I often ask where they go to church, and they usually tell me they go to a church. Also, going to church does not have to mean being part of a denomination or going to a building every Sunday (although I do and most people I know who are Christians do as well). A group of people getting together to pray and worship can be a church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Most people I speak to downtown where I live do not identify themselves to me as Christian... not that I usually go around asking people what their faith is but sometimes when it does come up, many people will say they believe in God but do not follow any religion. When someone tells me he or she is a Christian I often ask where they go to church, and they usually tell me they go to a church. Also, going to church does not have to mean being part of a denomination or going to a building every Sunday (although I do and most people I know who are Christians do as well). A group of people getting together to pray and worship can be a church.

According to statistics, 75% of people (basically) respond that they are Christian to surveys. I'm going to accept surveys over anecdotal stories.

Upvote 0

Christianmilitaryofficer

May 4, 2012
✟646.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married

If you look at the statistics, which LoAmmi has graciously provided, far, far, far more people claim to be Christian, than people who actually put themselves in a pew anywhere. Additionally, simply attending a building on Sundays does not in and of itself indicate much. This is actually a pretty significant problem with Christianity today, adherence is largely non-existent.

Upvote 0

TG123

Jul 1, 2006
somewhere
✟14,469.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you look at the statistics, which LoAmmi has graciously provided, far, far, far more people claim to be Christian, than people who actually put themselves in a pew anywhere. Additionally, simply attending a building on Sundays does not in and of itself indicate much. This is actually a pretty significant problem with Christianity today, adherence is largely non-existent.
The link shows nothing about church attendance.

Upvote 0