Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟777,445.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Another one of those irritating early morning phone calls! I literally had to get out of bed to answer the phone!
This time the call was supposedly from "Microsoft" telling me that I have a problem with my Windows. I told him that my windows were already installed when I first moved into my property and, being double glazed, they have done a very fine job in keeping out the draft all these years. As for my computers, they have been exclusively running Linux for the past 20 years.

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Another one of those irritating early morning phone calls! I literally had to get out of bed to answer the phone!
This time the call was supposedly from "Microsoft" telling me that I have a problem with my Windows. I told him that my windows were already installed when I first moved into my property and, being double glazed, they have done a very fine job in keeping out the draft all these years. As for my computers, they have been exclusively running Linux for the past 20 years.

I get a notice from Microsoft every couple of days telling me that I have a "problem with my account". This has happened many times before; and when I look into it I find out it's my Outlook email account and they want me to upgrade it to a paying account.

I have had a fee account since the 90's; so don't see why I should change now; and the pay-for account is needlessly complicated; and I like the "standard" free one anyway.

If I keep ignoring it; it will go away for awhile; but come back in 6 month or so. They are so persistent! :rolleyes:

• Useful
Reactions: mlepfitjw
Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟777,445.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Probably a scammer. I let every call I don't recognize go to voicemail. And even some I do recognize lol.
I once got one of those "call barring" features, but I found it was offending people who generally wanted to get in touch!

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟777,445.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I get a notice from Microsoft every couple of days telling me that I have a "problem with my account". This has happened many times before; and when I look into it I find out it's my Outlook email account and they want me to upgrade it to a paying account.

I have had a fee account since the 90's; so don't see why I should change now; and the pay-for account is needlessly complicated; and I like the "standard" free one anyway.

If I keep ignoring it; it will go away for awhile; but come back in 6 month or so. They are so persistent! :rolleyes:
Nothing more infuriating that having a "free" app constantly nagging you to pay for it!

• Agree
Reactions: mnorian
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I like asking those people to hold for a moment, I put the phone down and walk away, after about 5 min they figure out that they are the ones who have been scammed.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟777,445.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I like asking those people to hold for a moment, I put the phone down and walk away, after about 5 min they figure out that they are the ones who have been scammed.
Excellent idea! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As for my computers, they have been exclusively running Linux for the past 20 years.

Yes i had the same problem when i still had a land line. Random people would call up and tell me my computer had a virus on it and i should go to this and that web site to get rid of it. i would tell them that they could not know who i was on the net but they would insist i was running a window operating system while i have, like you, but not quiet 20 years yet, but for a long time already, run linux operating systems. That shut them up quickly. i absolutely love telling them that i know they are scammers.

Good on you!

Do they ring mobile phones now as well? Or was it on a land line?

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If I don't recognize the number I don't pick up, I figure if they are 'someone' or it's important that they will leave a message.
My husband likes to pick them up and string them along.

There is a guy on Youtube who dupes them into thinking he's an old lady and goes along with it but gets on the scammer computer and deletes files, quite something.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟777,445.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Yes i had the same problem when i still had a land line. Random people would call up and tell me my computer had a virus on it and i should go to this and that web site to get rid of it. i would tell them that they could not know who i was on the net but they would insist i was running a window operating system while i have, like you, but not quiet 20 years yet, but for a long time already, run linux operating systems. That shut them up quickly. i absolutely love telling them that i know they are scammers.

Good on you!

Do they ring mobile phones now as well? Or was it on a land line?
It was, and always seems to be, my landline! They call at totally random times of the day, most annoyingly first thing in the morning.

Some months ago, I thought I would add a touch of class to my living room by purchasing a snazzy vintage 1970's telephone, complete with an old fashioned dial and an authentic ringing bell! It seems I made the worst decision of my life!

Next time I get a cold caller, I am going to use the words of Hyacinth Bouquet! "Now kindly clear this line! There are people of substance in this community who are probably queuing to ring me at this very moment!".

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It was, and always seems to be, my landline! They call at totally random times of the day, most annoyingly first thing in the morning.

Some months ago, I thought I would add a touch of class to my living room by purchasing a snazzy vintage 1970's telephone, complete with an old fashioned dial and an authentic ringing bell! It seems I made the worst decision of my life!

Next time I get a cold caller, I am going to use the words of Hyacinth Bouquet! "Now kindly clear this line! There are people of substance in this community who are probably queuing to ring me at this very moment!".

There is a number that you can call -I bet the UK has it too- and it gets you taken off begging and sale lists, that helps.

Reactions: Anthony2019
Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟777,445.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I am always nice to cold callers.

I always let them sit by the fire to warm up!
Would it be uncharitable of me to ask them to sit just that little bit closer!
Grrrr.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟777,445.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I have an original, black, bakerlite, 1942 phone. Bought it years ago in an antique shop. Its boxed up at the mo though...
Unbox it, plug it in and enjoy it! :)
Who knows, you might have the joy of the telephone ringing and speaking to a cold caller! Aaargh!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟777,445.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
There is a number that you can call -I bet the UK has it too- and it gets you taken off begging and sale lists, that helps.
We have the "Telephone Preference Service". Not quite sure how it works but it might be worth a try.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I once got one of those "call barring" features, but I found it was offending people who generally wanted to get in touch!

I screen my calls like crazy. I haven't had a land line since 2015. I use a smart phone as my house phone, and I keep it with my desk top computer plugged in the recharge bay.

I have a system that when I get a new friend or business contact etc. I program them in my phone contact list. This helps me identify whether or not I should pick up when I get a call. In the rare event a stranger calls me with important news, I wait for them to leave me a message, email, or text message explaining what the matter is before I call them back. If the matter is really legitimate, then they will at some point.

I am very glad that you were wise to the scammer. I once was taken in by a different kind of scam.
Take Care and Merry Christmas!

Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟777,445.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I screen my calls like crazy. I haven't had a land line since 2015. I use a smart phone as my house phone, and I keep it with my desk top computer plugged in the recharge bay.

I have a system that when I get a new friend or business contact etc. I program them in my phone contact list. This helps me identify whether or not I should pick up when I get a call. In the rare event a stranger calls me with important news, I wait for them to leave me a message, email, or text message explaining what the matter is before I call them back. If the matter is really legitimate, then they will at some point.

I am very glad that you were wise to the scammer. I once was taken in by a different kind of scam.
Take Care and Merry Christmas!
I think you are probably right. A cold caller will rarely try to call more than once (although they may do!). In contrast, someone who genuinely needs to contact you, a friend or even a colleague, will almost certainly try more than once and may even try different methods.
Merry Christmas to you too Pavel Mosko! Hope you have an enjoyable and peaceful time and all the very best for the New Year! :)

• Friendly
Reactions: Pavel Mosko
Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟777,445.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
The biggest deterrant to cold colders is wasting their time. They are not worried about the cost of the call - in most cases, it is probably free of cost. But you can waste their time, gloriously, humourously, and always have the last laugh.
When they ask "how are you today", tell them you are feeling frustrated and uncomfortable. Tell them you have not opened your bowels for over a week and that you are hoping that they may be able to help!
Tell them that they have contacted a monastery and the person they need to speak to is a priest that is busy hearing confessions. Ask them if there is anything they need to confess and while you are looking for the priest, tell them that you need to put them on hold and play some choral music from a reqiuem mass.

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I love Keeping Up Appearances. I might have to use that line, as well.

Reactions: Anthony2019
Upvote 0