Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟662,205.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Having grown up in a conservative Christian church, I have seen how messed up it can be when ones local customs in their situation, becomes the measure by which you judge the worth of a fellow believer with regard to their standing as a christian. ALL have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. This automatically makes us unworthy to attempt to elevate our position by judging other sinners.
Ah! but we can be fruit inspectors. Thank the Great Lord we sinners are not the judge of others. Finding and bringing to light heresy is not judging my friend. All of the great people of faith have pointed out what is right and did so boldly. Are Christians supposed to be nothing but a bunch of milk toasts?

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟662,205.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is not. This thread is about the translation into the real meaning of Colossians 2.
And of course Your argument is that we are subject to the Sabbath and feast laws and I say we are not. So, your statement in post #180 is wrong. The true meaning of Col2:16 is do not allow anyone to judge me because I do not observe Torah. Throughout Paul's writings it becomes evident what I believe is correct. Read Gal chapter 3. It proves what i believe about Col 2

• Agree
Reactions: BABerean2
Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is not. This thread is about the translation into the real meaning of Colossians 2.

Colossians 2:16
(CJB)  So don't let anyone pass judgment on you in connection with eating and drinking, or in regard to a Jewish festival or Rosh-Hodesh or Shabbat.

(ESV)  Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath.

(Geneva)  Let no man therefore condemne you in meate and drinke, or in respect of an holy day, or of the newe moone, or of the Sabbath dayes,

(GW)  Therefore, let no one judge you because of what you eat or drink or about the observance of annual holy days, New Moon Festivals, or weekly worship days.

(LITV-TSP)  Then do not let anyone judge you in eating, or in drinking, or in respect of a feast, or the new moon, or of sabbaths,

(KJV)  Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

(KJV+)  Let noG3361 manG5100 thereforeG3767 judgeG2919 youG5209 inG1722 meat,G1035 orG2228 inG1722 drink,G4213 orG2228 inG1722 respectG3313 of an holyday,G1859 orG2228 of the new moon,G3561 orG2228 of the sabbathG4521 days:

(NKJV)  So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or Sabbaths,

(YLT)  Let no one, then, judge you in eating or in drinking, or in respect of a feast, or of a new moon, or of sabbaths,

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟662,205.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
(CJB)  So don't let anyone pass judgment on you in connection with eating and drinking, or in regard to a Jewish festival or Rosh-Hodesh or Shabbat.

(ESV)  Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath.

(Geneva)  Let no man therefore condemne you in meate and drinke, or in respect of an holy day, or of the newe moone, or of the Sabbath dayes,

(GW)  Therefore, let no one judge you because of what you eat or drink or about the observance of annual holy days, New Moon Festivals, or weekly worship days.

(LITV-TSP)  Then do not let anyone judge you in eating, or in drinking, or in respect of a feast, or the new moon, or of sabbaths,

(KJV)  Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

(KJV+)  Let noG3361 manG5100 thereforeG3767 judgeG2919 youG5209 inG1722 meat,G1035 orG2228 inG1722 drink,G4213 orG2228 inG1722 respectG3313 of an holyday,G1859 orG2228 of the new moon,G3561 orG2228 of the sabbathG4521 days:

(NKJV)  So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or Sabbaths,

(YLT)  Let no one, then, judge you in eating or in drinking, or in respect of a feast, or of a new moon, or of sabbaths,

All versions of scripture on the subject proves we have the correct view. Those verses blow the theory that the Sabbath is for Christians right out of the water, so they have to try to make the verses say something completely opposed to the true meaning and they negate all the other scripture that supports the real view.

When I stated posting several years ago when Col 2:17-18 was presented the SDAs tried to tell us that Sabbaths were not weekly Sabbaths but were festival days. That, of course made Paul a stutterer.

Reactions: BABerean2
Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All versions of scripture on the subject proves we have the correct view. Those verses blow the theory that the Sabbath is for Christians right out of the water, so they have to try to make the verses say something completely opposed to the true meaning and they negate all the other scripture that supports the real view.

When I stated posting several years ago when Col 2:17-18 was presented the SDAs tried to tell us that Sabbaths were not weekly Sabbaths but were festival days. That, of course made Paul a stutterer.

If we say the Sabbath is the most important thing in the Bible, we are talking about Jesus Christ and they are talking about a day of the week.

The text of Colossians 2:16-17 clearly states that one is a shadow and the other is the substance.

They are still holding onto the doctrine of the Judaisers.
I have to wonder what the Apostle Paul would say if he were here viewing our debate.
Maybe we do know what he would say...

Gal 5:12 I wish those who unsettle you would emasculate themselves!

Php 3:2 Look out for the dogs, look out for the evildoers, look out for those who mutilate the flesh.
Php 3:3 For we are the circumcision, who worship by the Spirit of God and glory in Christ Jesus and put no confidence in the flesh—

Hebrews 12:18-24 makes it clear that the Judaisers are wrong.

They keep clinging to Mount Sinai, while we proclaim the New Covenant fulfilled in His Blood at Mount Zion.

Thank you, Brother for boldly speaking the truth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gerhard Ebersoehn

Aug 22, 2008
✟14,946.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And of course Your argument is that we are subject to the Sabbath and feast laws and I say we are not. So, your statement in post #180 is wrong. The true meaning of Col2:16 is do not allow anyone to judge me because I do not observe Torah. Throughout Paul's writings it becomes evident what I believe is correct. Read Gal chapter 3. It proves what i believe about Col 2

I reject with no respect for it, your belief, your argument, your method or your proof.

Galatians 3 is Galatians 3; it's not Colossians 2. They have vast and a vast number of differences.

You have not read one line of the literal, realistic and to the point translation of Colossians 2. You think you are above that kind of stuff, you "THINK ABOVE WHAT IS WRITTEN".

Then you tell me, what I say and believe as if you are me and better than me, are me and know me as if I judge others and allow myself to judge you because you do not observe Torah. Where do you see I use <Torah> with regard to Colossians?

Where have you read that I argue that we are subject to the Sabbath and feast laws?

Where do you see that I care about what you think or believe or do? I do not care anything about you. All I care about is about what Colossians 2 SAYS --- says literally, exactly, pertinently, to the point and subject and aim of the passage per se and per Paul. Not per you or anyone in the world for that matter.

And what Colossians say is ... go read it now for the first time if your conscience is not going to prevent you.

Upvote 0

Gerhard Ebersoehn

Aug 22, 2008
✟14,946.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Colossians 2 has …

no word, <Jewish>;

has no word, <festival / feast> Nominative;

has no word, <Shabbat / Sabbath> Singular Dative;

has no word, <day / days / dayes>;

has no phrase, <worship days / >

has no word, <Rosh-Hodesh>;

has no word, <food / meate> Noun Nominative or Dative;

has no word, <eat> Indicative Verb;

has no word, <drink / drinke> Noun Nominative or Dative;

has no word, <drink> Indicative Verb;

has no word, <moon(e)> of the earth;

has no word, <new(e) moon(e)> every 28 days;

has no word, <holy> Adjective Nominative or Dative;

has no word, <questions>

has no phrase, <<questions of food and drink>>;

has no word, <about>;

has no word, <observance>;

has no word, <annual>;

has no word, <weekly> Adjectival;

has no phrase, <<with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath>> / <<in respect of an holy day, or of the newe moone, or of the Sabbath dayes>> / <<regarding a festival or a new moon or Sabbaths>> Relative Dative;

Upvote 0

Gerhard Ebersoehn

Aug 22, 2008
✟14,946.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Both the SDA and you have no idea about anything pertaining the exegesis or hermeneutics of Colossians 2.

The KJV in much, is better than newer <versions>, but it also shares unfortunate and UNNECESSARY mistakes with them. And I, guarantee you that NONE, of these versions of Colossians themselves erroneous, can possibly prove your <<view that the Sabbath for Christians (is) right out of the water>>, because BY HAVING RESURRECTED ON THE SABBATH, A) in actual fact, and B) "according to Scriptures", Jesus Christ in Person completely is FOR its <<true meaning>> and affirms and validates all the Scriptures in which, "GOD, THUS, concerning the Seventh Day spake, And God the day The Seventh Day from ALL, HIS, WORKS, RESTED".
You are the one who negates all the Scriptures that support the eschatological God-given and IMPERATIVE TRUTH, GOD IN CHRIST, "on the Sabbath of the LORD, REVIVED". Exodus 31:17.

Upvote 0

Gerhard Ebersoehn

Aug 22, 2008
✟14,946.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If we say the Sabbath is the most important thing in the Bible, we are talking about Jesus Christ and they are talking about a day of the week.

It's of no consequence, importance or meaning or worth what <<we say the Sabbath is>>.

Just so is what <<they are talking about a day of the week>>. At least <they> are talking about something real -- Scriptural, real!

When you <<...say the Sabbath is the most important thing in the Bible>>, you are talking anti-Jesus and anti-Christ, because Jesus Christ is the only One (thing) in the Bible of any importance whatsoever.

So whenever a believer in Jesus Christ speaks <about the Sabbath> as the "honourable day of the Lord" -- "the day The Seventh Day" at His service and to His service and for the worship of HIM, the Lord Jesus, he simply speaks the language the Scriptures speak about "The Lord Jesus'...Lordly / Royal / Holy Day" of worship-rest for the People of God.

Upvote 0

Gerhard Ebersoehn

Aug 22, 2008
✟14,946.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They are still holding onto the doctrine of the Judaisers.
I have to wonder what the Apostle Paul would say if he were here viewing our debate.
Maybe we do know what he would say...

Gal 5:12 I wish those who unsettle you would emasculate themselves!

Php 3:2 Look out for the dogs, look out for the evildoers, look out for those who mutilate the flesh.
Php 3:3 For we are the circumcision, who worship by the Spirit of God and glory in Christ Jesus and put no confidence in the flesh

Then as you drifted farther off topic, you got on track onto your favourite trajectory of false accusations. <<Judaisers…the dogs…evildoers…those who mutilate the flesh>> … through believing “the Seventh Day is the Sabbath of the LORD GOD”!?

<<WE, are the circumcision>>, you claim! Aren’t you, putting confidence in the flesh the very while you arrogate that those who say, “the Sabbath is (a day of the week) the Seventh Day Sabbath of the LORD GOD”, are <<Judaisers …who mutilate the flesh>>?!

Have you “suffered the loss of all things” that you boast your uncircumcision of the flesh, no different than the Jews boast their circumcision in the flesh?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Colossians 2 has …

no word, <Jewish>;

has no word, <festival / feast> Nominative;

has no word, <Shabbat / Sabbath> Singular Dative;

has no word, <day / days / dayes>;

has no phrase, <worship days / >

has no word, <Rosh-Hodesh>;

has no word, <food / meate> Noun Nominative or Dative;

has no word, <eat> Indicative Verb;

has no word, <drink / drinke> Noun Nominative or Dative;

has no word, <drink> Indicative Verb;

has no word, <moon(e)> of the earth;

has no word, <new(e) moon(e)> every 28 days;

has no word, <holy> Adjective Nominative or Dative;

has no word, <questions>

has no phrase, <<questions of food and drink>>;

has no word, <about>;

has no word, <observance>;

has no word, <annual>;

has no word, <weekly> Adjectival;

has no phrase, <<with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath>> / <<in respect of an holy day, or of the newe moone, or of the Sabbath dayes>> / <<regarding a festival or a new moon or Sabbaths>> Relative Dative;

Since you have declared what the verse does not say, please share with us what the verse does say in your opinion.

Please use a text from some source as your basis of opinion.

Apparently all of the modern and Greek that I provided are wrong, based on your opinion.

So far you have declared that the verse cannot mean what is written in the text...

(YLT)  Let no one, then, judge you in eating or in drinking, or in respect of a feast, or of a new moon, or of Sabbaths,

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟662,205.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I reject with no respect for it, your belief, your argument, your method or your proof.

Galatians 3 is Galatians 3; it's not Colossians 2. They have vast and a vast number of differences.

You have not read one line of the literal, realistic and to the point translation of Colossians 2. You think you are above that kind of stuff, you "THINK ABOVE WHAT IS WRITTEN".

Then you tell me, what I say and believe as if you are me and better than me, are me and know me as if I judge others and allow myself to judge you because you do not observe Torah. Where do you see I use <Torah> with regard to Colossians?

Where have you read that I argue that we are subject to the Sabbath and feast laws?

Where do you see that I care about what you think or believe or do? I do not care anything about you.
I do care about you Gerhard. I really feel bad that you would allow a difference in view of a particular verse cause you to write such as you have. From a previous post I gleaned that you have health issues. It is not worth getting so upset because I differ with you. Sure I would like for you to see my point, but when I defend my position it also is for those lurkers who are just reading the posts. Many of them are trying to make sound decisions as they grow in Christ. They want to know if they are required to observe the ritual laws given to Israel.

I would suggest that you take a break or at the least reconsider your attitude towards what others and myself write. I do want you to know that I will continue to present the truth as the Holy Spirit has been teaching me. If I were alone in my understanding of verses like Col 2:16-18, Gal 3:19 which reads: 19 Why, then, was the law given at all? It was added because of transgressions until the Seed to whom the promise referred had come. Jesus has come and Israel is no longer those laws. I pray you can see the word "until". When we couple those verses with verses like 2Cor 3:7-11 we see the harmony in all of Paul's writings. Paul, in 2Cor3 tell us we are not under the 10 commandments. the 10 commandments are where we find the Sabbath command.

All I care about is about what Colossians 2 SAYS --- says literally, exactly, pertinently, to the point and subject and aim of the passage per se and per Paul. Not per you or anyone in the world for that matter.
It would be nice if you would reiterate and write the verses in a way that caused you to believe the way you do. You have told us all the different versions presented are false, so lets see the true version in your opinion.

And what Colossians say is ... go read it now for the first time if your conscience is not going to prevent you.
I have, over and over because I want to do what Jesus would have me do. I was a Sabbath trier for 40 years. It is not that I am trying to disregard the will of our Lord, it is because He has set mankind free of ritual laws that have absolutely no bearing on our salvation. Jesus has taken the law with all of the demands away and has given us the Law of love as our goal in life. If we listen to the Holy spirit and live a life serving mankind we will have accomplished His will for us. May God bless you abundantly Gerhard.

Upvote 0

Gerhard Ebersoehn

Aug 22, 2008
✟14,946.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It would be nice if you would reiterate and write the verses in a way that caused you to believe the way you do. You have told us all the different versions presented are false, so lets see the true version in your opinion.

There they are placed before your eyes. You read but you don't see with normal human eyes, but with spirit goggles of your imagination. Then, I admit, I failed. Thank God. I would not like it at all to sit up with someone with spirit for eyes. I DO NOT HAVE THOSE BODYPARTS.

Upvote 0

Gerhard Ebersoehn

Aug 22, 2008
✟14,946.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do care about you Gerhard. I really feel bad that you would allow a difference in view of a particular verse cause you to write such as you have. From a previous post I gleaned that you have health issues. It is not worth getting so upset because I differ with you. Sure I would like for you to see my point, but when I defend my position it also is for those lurkers who are just reading the posts. Many of them are trying to make sound decisions as they grow in Christ. They want to know if they are required to observe the ritual laws given to Israel.

Please leave out your sentimentalities and care about WHAT IS WRITTEN. We would have made some progress by now if only you have spent a bit of on what is written.

Re:
<<I really feel bad that you would allow a difference in view of a particular verse cause you to write such as you have.>>

To write <<such as>> what?

Re:
<<From a previous post I gleaned that you have health issues.>>

Thanks; don’t let my health bother or distract you though. I’m OK nowadays.

Re:
<<It is not worth getting so upset because I differ with you.>>

No, I don’t get upset because you differ with me. I get upset because you differ with the Scriptures as if you’re the Scriptures.

Re:
<<Sure I would like for you to see my point,>>

I see your point, better than you could see it yourself.

Re:
<<when I defend my position it also is for those lurkers who are just reading the posts.>>

...and I will demolish you, and your position and your defence for those just reading your posts IF THEY OR YOU ARE CONTRARY THE SCRIPTURES.

Re:
<<when I defend my position it also is for those lurkers who are just reading the posts.>>

Beware all readers and lurkers, it is very dangerous for you to read GE’s posts! He wants you to know that you <<are required to observe the ritual laws given to Israel>>. But Bob’sPost is lying of course; so don’t be too afraid; relax!

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Please leave out your sentimentalities and care about WHAT IS WRITTEN. We would have made some progress by now if only you have spent a bit of on what is written.

Re:
<<I really feel bad that you would allow a difference in view of a particular verse cause you to write such as you have.>>

Re:

Re:

No, I don’t get upset because you differ with me. I get upset because you differ with the Scriptures as if you’re the Scriptures.

Re:

Re:

...and I will demolish you, and your position and your defence for those just reading your posts IF THEY OR YOU ARE CONTRARY THE SCRIPTURES.

Re:

Beware all readers and lurkers, it is very dangerous for you to read GE’s posts! He wants you to know that you <<are required to observe the ritual laws given to Israel>>. But Bob’sPost is lying of course; so don’t be too afraid; relax!

Col 2:16  So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, 
Col 2:17  which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Col 2:16  So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, 

Which is not condemning the eating of food -- or drinking - or keeping the annual Sabbaths.

It is getting to the point of Matt 7 - judging others in regard to those things. Something that was a sin before the cross - in Matt 7 and remains unchanged as a sin to do - in Col 2.

This detail come up in the OP - as well.

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Which is not condemning the eating of food -- or drinking - or keeping the annual Sabbaths.

Why did you add the word "annual" to make your doctrine work?

Why do you keep trying to go back to Mount Sinai, despite what the writer of the Book of Hebrews said?

Heb 12:18  For you have not come to the mountain that may be touched and that burned with fire, and to blackness and darkness and tempest, 
Heb 12:19  and the sound of a trumpet and the voice of words, so that those who heard it begged that the word should not be spoken to them anymore. 
Heb 12:20  (For they could not endure what was commanded: "AND IF SO MUCH AS A BEAST TOUCHES THE MOUNTAIN, IT SHALL BE STONED OR SHOT WITH AN ARROW." 
Heb 12:21  And so terrifying was the sight that Moses said, "I AM EXCEEDINGLY AFRAID AND TREMBLING.") 

Heb 12:22  But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, to an innumerable company of angels, 
Heb 12:23  to the general assembly and church of the firstborn who are registered in heaven, to God the Judge of all, to the spirits of just men made perfect, 
Heb 12:24  to Jesus the Mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling that speaks better things than that of Abel. 

Why do you keep clinging to the ministry of death engraved on stone?

2Co 3:6  who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life. 
2Co 3:7  But if the ministry of death, written and engraved on stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of the glory of his countenance, which glory was passing away, 
2Co 3:8  how will the ministry of the Spirit not be more glorious?

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟662,205.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Too bad you feel this way.

Please do not act dumb as to what you write.

I have reservations because you seem to go off the chart with some of your posts. I do not want you to add to any problems.

Actually I use scripture to back up most all I write.

Re:

I truly hope you do.

I would hope you would. I know I will and do concerning what you write.

Sticks and stones...... Just where have I lied? If scripture is a lie then yes I have lied. What is your excuse?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

It is getting to the point of Matt 7 - judging others in regard to those things. Something that was a sin before the cross - in Matt 7 and remains unchanged as a sin to do - in Col 2.

This detail come up in the OP - as well.

Why did you add the word "annual" to make your doctrine work?

Because I love paying attention to the actual Bible details in the text we are talking about - rather than simply ignoring the chapter.

"let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths,"
hint - this is not condemning the eating of food -- or drinking - or keeping the annual Sabbaths.

Same as Matt 7 before the cross "judge not that you be not judged"

No change before the cross or after on that topic.

More details in Col 2 - that "I" don't need to avoid.

============= from page 1

As for Col 2 -- condemning the traditions and doctrines of man - and upholding the Word of God --

Col 2 is opposed to making up a rule and judging others of being guilty of sin because they differ with you, even if that invented rule is related to a Bible command.

But Col 2 is not an attempt by Paul to delete the scriptures. Rather Paul condemns the idea of making stuff up that is not in scripture at all - where the only source/authority is "man".

Col 2:18 Let no one keep defrauding you of your prize by delighting in self-abasement and the worship of the angels, taking his stand on visions he has seen, inflatedwithout cause by his fleshly mind,
19 and not holding fast to the head, from whom the entire body, being supplied and held together by the joints and ligaments, grows with a growth which is from God.

Col 2
20 Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances,
21 (Touch not; taste not; handle not;
22 Which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men? 23 Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body: not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh. (KJV)

Col 2
20 If you have died with Christ to the elementary principles of the world, why, as if you were living in the world, do you submit yourself to decrees, such as,
21 “Do not handle, do not taste, do not touch!” 22 (which all refer to things destined to perish with use)—in accordance with the commandments and teachings of men?
23 These are matters which have, to be sure, the appearance of wisdom in self-made religion and self-abasement and severe treatment of the body, but are of no value against fleshly indulgence.(NASB)

Upvote 0