Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
"The attorney general on Monday published text messages and emails as well as transcripts of Chris Cuomo’s testimony, which showed the “Cuomo Prime Time” host was regularly in touch with some of his brother’s closest aides in March, when the scandal first emerged. The revelations prompted scrutiny over Chris Cuomo’s use of his role as a journalist to help his brother fend off an avalanche of allegations.

“Please let me help with prep,” Chris Cuomo texted his brother’s top aide, Melissa DeRosa, in early March. Days later, after The New York Times published a story detailing a woman’s accusation that the governor tried to give her an unwanted kiss at a wedding, DeRosa asked the CNN host to leverage his journalistic connections to uncover details about her.

“On it,” Chris Cuomo replied at the time. He said in another message that he had “a lead on the wedding girl.”
I'd be happy to see him back.
I still don't understand the issue.
I see the quotes that you posted and they don't look like an issue to me.
Nothing wrong with doing research, with gathering facts.

Although, I understand that using his CNN contacts and using them for questions may have made them think he was doing this as journalistic research for a piece on his show.

Perhaps he should have disclosed to his sources that his intent was for personal use. But it had been made public prior that he wasn't going to be reporting on his brother anymore, so it should have been obvious to his sources that this digging was for personal use.
Anyway, I don't have any issues with it, but understand that this might violate CNN policy.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Before anyone gets too excited...I'm sure it's one of those "rich people suspensions"...the kind where you still get paid, or get some sort of severance.

Rich people don't ever seem to get suspended/fired the same way us "normies" do lol.

I still remember how my jaw basically hit the floor when I learned my company's former COO got canned (for an utterly boneheaded move), and learned about how he got a $300k severance package for his trouble.

I'm thinking "man, if could get a deal like that, I'd get myself fired tomorrow"

I've only watched him a handful of times. He seemed like a pretty good softball interviewer.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
That's probably the biggest aspect...

If you were running a news organization, one which was focused on a certain narrative that included "standing up for women who've made sexual assault allegations against people in power", would you want one of your top anchors going out of their way to use company resources to dig up stuff on women who were making the accusations? (simply because the target of the accusations happened to be the famous powerful brother of one of your employees)

It's a bad look all around.

In one of the last interviews Cuomo did, it was with Bill Maher, who interestingly enough, pointed out that people tend to put on a big set of blinders when it comes to people who are on their team, for things they'd maul "the other team for".

Bill Maher: 'If Don Jr. Had Done What Hunter Biden Had Done, It Would Be Every Night, All Night on MSNBC'

I suspect the same thing is true here. Had a Fox News anchor did what Chris did (in the name of defending their brother), the folks who want to trivialize this (because "Chris is on the Blue Team") would think it was a much bigger deal.

As far as journalists behaving badly goes...

Video released of Rittenhouse jury vehicle incident that got MSNBC banned

This is the big story. This is a pretty clear attempt at jury tampering/intimidation.

They had absolutely no journalistic nor legal right to follow the jury. I'm glad they were caught, I'm disappointed they probably won't have any blowback from it.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Well maybe this...this is the big story.

NY Times' latest bid to double down on rewriting US history

I don't know about anyone else, but what I like to see in prestigious journalism is completely bogus historical revisionism. Why would the NYT think that they should rewrite history....and get some non-historian on it?

That has to strike some people as odd. Imagine if Tucker Carlson came out with "Europeans Are The Best People in World Project"...a reframing of history that centers all the great stuff European colonialism did for everyone.

Didn't speak English before? You do now? No thanks necessary.

Seriously, that wouldn't raise any eyebrows?

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I've only watched him a handful of times. He seemed like a pretty good softball interviewer.

It was the typical treatment we see in the media... Softball for people on his side, hardball for the posing team.

He'd go hard on people like Rudy or other prominent republicans, when he'd interview democrats, it'd be a laid back cordial conversation (with a few instances of him disagreeing with Don Lemon to maintain the image of objectivity)

Reactions: Ana the Ist
Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
They fired Cuomo, yet were more than happy to welcome J. Toobin back after his indiscretion...
Toobin's is quite embarrassing.
But really, most people do that, just not on a conference call.
I feel sorry for the guy.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟458,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'd be happy to see him back.
I still don't understand the issue.
I see the quotes that you posted and they don't look like an issue to me.
Nothing wrong with doing research, with gathering facts.

Although, I understand that using his CNN contacts and using them for questions may have made them think he was doing this as journalistic research for a piece on his show.

Perhaps he should have disclosed to his sources that his intent was for personal use. But it had been made public prior that he wasn't going to be reporting on his brother anymore, so it should have been obvious to his sources that this digging was for personal use.
Anyway, I don't have any issues with it, but understand that this might violate CNN policy.
Well, even CNN disagreed with you. That's a low bar indeed.

"CNN said Saturday that anchor Chris Cuomo has been "terminated" by the network, "effective immediately."
The announcement came after an outside law firm was retained to review information about exactly how Cuomo aided his brother, former New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, when the then-governor was accused of sexual harassment."

CNN fires Chris Cuomo - CNN

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Well, even CNN disagreed with you. That's a low bar indeed.

"CNN said Saturday that anchor Chris Cuomo has been "terminated" by the network, "effective immediately."
The announcement came after an outside law firm was retained to review information about exactly how Cuomo aided his brother, former New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, when the then-governor was accused of sexual harassment."

CNN fires Chris Cuomo - CNN
I don't have all the details of course.

I have read that article, it still doesn't give me enough details to know why he has been fired other than he did a serious breach of CCN's standards.

It's upto them of course, their standards, their hiring practices. But I don't see that there would be public outrage if they kept him on (unless there are things that I don't know about)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't have all the details of course.

I have read that article, it still doesn't give me enough details to know why he has been fired other than he did a serious breach of CCN's standards.

It's upto them of course, their standards, their hiring practices. But I don't see that there would be public outrage if they kept him on (unless there are things that I don't know about)

Chris Cumo accused of harassment days before CNN firing

May have something to with this...

Upvote 0