Cloud Atlas

childofdust

May 18, 2010
✟2,177.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
Ever since I heard of it and read reviews, I thought I would enjoy it. And I did. Unfortunately, I think it fell short of what it could have been. For one thing, the piano music is supposed to be something transcendent that is remembered from past lives and taken up in new ones, but we never really hear much of it (where the name "cloud atlas" comes from). It should have been a prominent feature of the film and something that the filmmakers labored long and hard to find and create so that the music would have a lasting impact on its audience. I also felt like many of the stories were not as full as they could or should have been. Granted, that would have made an EXTREMELY long movie even longer, but if it's a good story, I wouldn't care how long it was. One of my other big complaints is that the film is too preachy. It should have said less and showed more. Overall, however, I really enjoyed the film, had some great laughs, wondered about how my own choices and experiences in life could have invisible ripple effects through time...and generally felt good about the idea that corruption will never have the final word because there will always be resistance. Pretty neat. But The Fountain was better.

NiobiumTragedy

Glorious Tragedy
Jun 15, 2009
USA
✟17,652.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For what it was, the film was amazing. I think it balanced the Cloud Atlas and the stories very well without getting boring. I think had the movie focused more on the composition it would have been a lot more lackluster and dragged on. Let's face it, the movie was nearly 3 hours as it was and that's hard to keep attention for that long in film.

I personally really liked it though it did get a lot of mixed reviews.

Upvote 0

Sarah Sarah

Dec 24, 2013
✟733.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I watched the movie on DVD. I wasn't up to sitting in a theater that long for what may be another bad Hanks movie. I loved it come the end. It was a great story finish but it seemed like in the middle the writers lost direction. As if they couldn't quite piece together what was in their imagination so as to transfer it to a script.

But overall, the movie was great but too long. Made so, at least it appeared to me, because of that really big miss in the middle that they seemed to try to glue back into place near the end so as to wrap up the whole picture of multiple lives and dimensions of time and space.

I don't want to give any spoilers so that's a bit cryptic.

Upvote 0