Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
And anyone with an understanding of economics would laugh.

Remember kids if you put things in quotations they are no longer a real thing.

As I previously pointed out, libertarianism is classical liberalism. Calling it "neo-liberalism" shows an absolute lack of understanding when it comes to political thought.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Then Clint Eastwood was delivering an abstract message to the concept of how a representative democracy should work because US politics is accountable to itself - the US business community.
Politicians are accountable to the people in American politics. That is what elections are all about.

Upvote 0

Received

True love waits in haunted attics
Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
✟38,594.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Huh?

If you're saying, asking what I think you are. Yes. M H-P was making a connection between an empty chair and Ellison's The Invisible Man. I didn't watch for too long, so I don't remember all the details, just what I mentioned in the earlier post.

Dang, score me. I'll have to check that out.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Generally speaking, Libertarians are for individual freedom and small government... which is what classical liberalism is about.

Ok, but if you put todays "classical liberals" and those of the actual classical period they don't seem to agree on much else.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Dang, score me. I'll have to check that out.

If you know who Nancy Giles is, look for the segments where she is featured. I do remember that she was on the panel at that time (big fan of hers from China Beach and enjoy most of her commentary on CBS Sunday Morning).

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Ok, but if you put todays "classical liberals" and those of the actual classical period they don't seem to agree on much else.

I am not sure.
What kind of things do they disagree on?

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Eastwood's speech was far and away the highlight. Reminded me of Ahnold's speech at the 2000 RNC convention. I was scratching my head over the Iraq and Afghanistan war comments, given this administration is simply moving forward with the W. Bush policies.

Other than being four or five minutes too long, I liked it.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Upvote 0

Received

True love waits in haunted attics
Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
✟38,594.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you know who Nancy Giles is, look for the segments where she is featured. I do remember that she was on the panel at that time (big fan of hers from China Beach and enjoy most of her commentary on CBS Sunday Morning).

Thanks for this.

Upvote 0

DGarr

Aug 18, 2012
✟15,113.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Clint Eastwood is my favorite actor/director. Initially, I was horrified and saddened by this ghastly performance.

But it ultimately made me look more closely at the Republican National Committee.

What were they thinking?

How many ways can one say, "mistake"?
Republican convention went off the "cliffs of insanity" with this one.

For heaven's sake, what were they thinking?
Is this a glimpse of what Republican good judgment looks like?

This was the last night of the Republican convention.
And we are given this?

Try as I may, will I ever be able to erase the image of my favorite actor/director playing the part of a demented, crazed old man?

But as bad as this is, what does it say for a Republican Party that can have so little sense as to allow this to happen?

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Clint Eastwood is my favorite actor/director. Initially, I was horrified and saddened by this ghastly performance.

But it ultimately made me look more closely at the Republican National Committee.

What were they thinking?

And we are given this?

Try as I may, will I ever be able to erase the image of my favorite actor/director playing the part of a demented, crazed old man?

But as bad as this is, what does it say for a Republican Party that can have so little sense as to allow this to happen?
LOL ... calling Clint Eastwood a "demented, crazed old man" seems a bit over the top. Here's the full text of his speech: Clint Eastwood's GOP convention speech: Full transcript - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

It's a quite coherent speech. What exactly do you take exception to?

Was it the part about 23 million Americans being unemployed? (admittedly a high estimate)
Was it where Clint talked about the president not fulfilling his promise to close Gitmo? Is Gitmo Closed Yet?
Was it where he mentioned somebody had this stupid idea to try terrorists in New York City?
Was it the part about Biden being the intellect of the Democrat party? (Personally, I think he was just insulting Democrats rather than trying to be factual.)
Was it the part where he questioned whoever thought it was a good idea for attorneys to be president?
Was it the part where he suggested that maybe it was time to let a businessman run the country for a "change".
Was it the part where he questioned why the president rode around in a gas guzzler rather than something more ecological? (Admittedly, planes use jet fuel instead. :D )
Was it the part about being a mental [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] in order to justify voting for a not-so-nice-guy for public office?
Or was it the part about: "Make my day?"

Just curious ...

I mean, if I'd had to present at the convention I don't think I'd have come up with half the points that Clint Eastwood made, much less do so in impromptu fashion. In fact, the more I think about Clint Eastwood's performance the more impressive it looks ... considering that the guy has already live longer than most people will. Not bad for such an old geezer. Not too shabby for anyone, actually. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens

What were they thinking?

And we are given this?

Rather than making fun of the content, you are making fun of his age?!!!

Are you an ageist?;)

Reactions: NightHawkeye
Upvote 0

sk8Joyful

Aug 23, 2005
✟28,800.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
LOL ...
calling Clint Eastwood a "demented, crazed old man" seems a bit over the top.

Here's the full text of his speech: Clint Eastwood's GOP convention speech: Full transcript - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

It's a quite coherent speech. What exactly do you take exception to?

Was it the part about 23 million Americans being unemployed? (admittedly a high estimate)
Was it where Clint talked about the president not fulfilling his promise to close Gitmo? Is Gitmo Closed Yet?
Was it where he mentioned somebody had this stupid idea to try terrorists in New York City?
Was it the part about Biden being the intellect of the Democrat party? (Personally, I think he was just insulting Democrats rather than trying to be factual.)
Was it the part where he questioned whoever thought it was a good idea for attorneys to be president?
Was it the part where he suggested that maybe it was time to let a businessman run the country for a "change".
Was it the part where he questioned why the president rode around in a gas guzzler rather than something more ecological? (Admittedly, planes use jet fuel instead. :D )
Was it the part about being a mental [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] in order to justify voting for a not-so-nice-guy for public office?
Or was it the part about: "Make my day?"

Just curious ...

I mean, if I'd had to present at the convention I don't think I'd have come up with half the points that Clint Eastwood made, much less do so in impromptu fashion. In fact, the more I think about Clint Eastwood's performance the more impressive it looks ... considering that the guy has already live longer than most people will. Not bad for such an old geezer. Not too shabby for anyone, actually. :thumbsup:
We should all have been so fortunate, to have been there. What a great job he did :thumbsup:.

Never let the Naysayers get you down, they're empty/hollow.

Thanks for posting the link, NightHawkeye. :wave:

Upvote 0

mzungu

INVICTUS
Dec 17, 2010
Earth!
✟24,975.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
As I previously pointed out, libertarianism is classical liberalism. Calling it "neo-liberalism" shows an absolute lack of understanding when it comes to political thought.
Perhaps you need to check out the definitions before you speak:

Neoliberalism is a contemporary political movement advocating economic liberalizations, free trade and open markets. Neoliberalism supports the privatization of nationalized industries, deregulation, and enhancing the role of the private sector in modern society. It is commonly informed by neoclassical or Austrian economics. The term neoliberal today is often used as a general condemnation of economic liberalization policies and advocates.[1][2] Neoliberalism shares many concepts with mainstream schools of economic thought.
Neoliberalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Classical liberals, who broadly emphasized the importance of free markets and civil liberties, dominated liberal history for a century after the French Revolution. The onset of World War I and the Great Depression, however, accelerated the trends begun in late 19th century Europe towards a "new liberalism" (social liberalism) that emphasized a greater role for the state in ameliorating societal ills. By the beginning of the 21st century, liberal democracies and their fundamental characteristics—support for constitutions, civil rights and individual liberties, pluralistic society, and the welfare state—were widespread in most regions around the world.

Upvote 0