Scotland
✟293,105.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Divorced
I think the important thing is not to overwhelm yourself. The memory is fading for me, but I remember being 'new' and having so many questions and feeling I needed to cover so much, and it all seemed equally urgent. And when I eventually got myself into a church, there were so many people giving friendly help, offering me books to read and suggesting what I might find useful - I know it was all sincere, but often I'd barely started on one thing before the next advice came along and I started down another path. And that's all ok really.

So I can't tell you what you need to do, but I can tell you a little about how it went for me. I started with reading scripture. Sometimes a lot, sometimes only a few lines. I didn't follow a plan, but often went to what was familiar, re-reading stories I'd heard when I was younger, or follow up on what I heard someone talk about. Eventually I settled down to more focussed reading, but it took time to get there. I don't remember actually praying the first time, but I felt unworthy too, and self-conscious. It took a while for me to realise I didn't need to wait to be worthy or have perfect words, I could simply talk with God, even when I didn't know what to pray for. Now prayer is probably the most important thing to me. Asking someone to pray for you was a great move. You can also ask them to pray while you are with them.

But already I think I'm getting past the place I think you're at just now. I guess what I'd have wanted someone to tell me is that slow and steady does get there. Not to be looking at where I 'should' be, but to address each day looking for where I could get to. You will go faster when you're ready. Questions about baptism or how to deal with others, and so on, can take a lot of time and work. Just letting your mind adjust to your new-found faith, and the effects that has on day-to-day life, may be enough to focus on just now.

May God bless you

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟757,786.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I suppose my history is a bit like that of Mindfulzen, although I may not have dabbled in so many things.

I grew up in a non-religious family who didn't go to church. I ended up loathing my father for his cruelty. I had some Sunday School as a kid, and we had about an hour a week of religious education in school up to Grade Nine. Then it stopped altogether.

Being taught evolution at school was a factor, and I still struggle to reconcile the Biblical creation account with a natural world where a lot of sentient life depends on killing something else.

Be that as it may, I became Christian at the tail end of what was the most disastrous time of my life. God then started pushing me towards going back to the very same church where I'd had Sunday School years before. An image of the church would keep cropping up, and no matter how many times I tried to ignore it, it didn't go away. So I went, and not long after made a commitment.

Rest assured, God is there, and He knows what you think, what you say, and what you do. He's seen all your history, so you can't tell Him anything He doesn't know already.

As far as I'm concerned, after being Protestant, and now Catholic, I tihink the Catholic Church is "Closest" to the truth. But regardless of which Christian denomination you decide to join, Baptism is non-negotiable.

Mathew 28:18-20 NIV -
18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

I also suggest you at least start praying, even though you say you don't want to. God's there and your prayers are heard, even if you think they're just so much hot air. He's everywhere, hears everything, and forgets absolutely nothing.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Must I baptize as an adult?
If you haven't been baptized before, get baptized in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Baptism is a serious decision and a serious commitment. All Christians should take it, because Jesus commanded it. Exceptions can be made for people who literally can't get baptized (i.e. for those that convert on their deathbeds before they die) but you can get baptized, so you should when you are ready.

Must I change membership of religion? I do not believe God looks at worldly membershiplists, think he looks at your heart. I had another one before, never resigned, do not think it matters to God, do you think I am wrong and ,must take action?
I'm not sure what you mean here. In the US, we don't register our religion with the government. If you do in your country, see if you can change it. If you don't but are on the mailing list for some other religious group but aren't part of anymore, you might want to have yourself removed from that list anyway. If there's a subscription or dues for another religion's group that you were in but aren't anymore, you could just let that expire and not renew it.

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As a born atheist, in a home with no christianity ever, what is important? I feel I have done it, seeing as I have not read the book, and give faith without much knowledge on content. But feel it is my duty to learn more. I believe you must be truthful in life, to all people, not hate anybody at all in life. You endure, you never hate. Simple. But I want to know basic stuff that I am clueless on. Must I baptize as an adult? Must I change membership of religion? I do not believe God looks at worldly membershiplists, think he looks at your heart. I had another one before, never resigned, do not think it matters to God, do you think I am wrong and ,must take action?

Hello.

Let me try to lightly explain that Christianity isn't something based on you being an essentially "good person", it's based on entering into a covenant with God, through His Son, Jesus of Nazareth.

The law was given (added) to show the Jews their need of a Messiah, because they couldn't fulfill the just requirements of God's law in and of themselves. (Galatians 3:24)

The Christian Bible is divided into 2 parts, the Old Testament, or in other words the Old Covenant, and the New Testament, or in other words the New Covenant.

The New explains that Jesus is the promised Messiah of Israel, and what that means to all of us today as He is the fulfillment of the Old Covenant... and the New surrounds His person and His work, and what that means to us today - whether we are Jews or Non-Jews.

Baptism is both the public profession of your faith, as well as the sign of the New Covenant and that your willingly a part of it. Accepting Christ as your Lord and Savior, baptism signifies dying to self, and rising to new life in Christ and it is essential to be baptized if it's at all possible (it's not possible for some, and for them that's okay)

It seems you should read Scripture, and perhaps some books on the topic of the Christian faith. One Book I highly recommend is Jesus and Israel: One Covenant Or Two? by David E. Holwerda

You would understand more about the covenantal nature of Jesus of Nazareth if you read that.

I'm sure through listening to some good Pastors (I'd stick with mainline churches) and reading scripture along with a book or two that you'll end up with a deeper understanding of the faith and what being Christian means.

Then and only then will you be able to make an informed choice of whether you accept Christ as Lord and Savior.

Upvote 0