Clean and Unclean Foods: Do the Levitical Laws Apply to Christians?

StormyOne

Senior Veteran
Aug 21, 2005
Alabama
✟5,866.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've looked, but have not been able to find a reference to Noah being instructed not to touch blood or fat. Can you provide the reference?

Thanks!
Gen 9:4 mentions blood.... says nothing about fat..... why is fat being mentioned?

Upvote 0

StormyOne

Senior Veteran
Aug 21, 2005
Alabama
✟5,866.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Fat is mentioned in the sacrifice that Abel made as it is in Leviticus as being significant. Man was not told not to eat it until you get to Lev 3:17.

God Bless
Jim Larmore
that is called diversion Jim..... the directive to Noah does not say anything about fat nor does God make a distinction between clean or unclean.... however you are going to twist it until it does.... quite humorous to watch actually...

Upvote 0

Eila

Senior Veteran
Jan 19, 2007
Visit site
✟10,980.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Fat is mentioned in the sacrifice that Abel made as it is in Leviticus as being significant. Man was not told not to eat it until you get to Lev 3:17.

God Bless
Jim Larmore

I'm not sure how Noah made it into Leviticus:scratch: Also not sure how Abel relates here. Wouldn't he have touched the fat if he put it on the alter?

Upvote 0

Jimlarmore

Senior Veteran
Oct 25, 2006
✟17,990.00
Faith
SDA
that is called diversion Jim..... the directive to Noah does not say anything about fat nor does God make a distinction between clean or unclean.... however you are going to twist it until it does.... quite humorous to watch actually...

Are you saying God did not make a distinction between clean and unclean to Noah? What about Gen 7:2? Diversion, me ? You got to be kidding ;)

God Bless
Jim Larmore

Upvote 0

Jimlarmore

Senior Veteran
Oct 25, 2006
✟17,990.00
Faith
SDA
I'm not sure how Noah made it into Leviticus:scratch: Also not sure how Abel relates here. Wouldn't he have touched the fat if he put it on the alter?

My point was that God told man at some point not to eat the fat. I think you added the "touch" part. So lizard meat is ok to eat as long as you don't have any of the blood in it, is that right? :D How about a rat shiskobob?

God Bless
Jim Larmore

Upvote 0

StormyOne

Senior Veteran
Aug 21, 2005
Alabama
✟5,866.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you saying God did not make a distinction between clean and unclean to Noah? What about Gen 7:2? Diversion, me ? You got to be kidding ;)

God Bless
Jim Larmore
when God told Noah he could eat anything that moved no God did not make a distinction... the text says "everything that moves...." it did not say only the clean things..... and no I am not kidding.... I am sure you will have an explanation for why God didn't say just the clean animals..... however I am gonna hold you literally to this text.... it says everything that moves shall be food for you....

Upvote 0

StormyOne

Senior Veteran
Aug 21, 2005
Alabama
✟5,866.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My point was that God told man at some point not to eat the fat. I think you added the "touch" part. So lizard meat is ok to eat as long as you don't have any of the blood in it, is that right? :D How about a rat shiskobob?

God Bless
Jim Larmore
if you happen to be in a place where that's all thats available, say your grace and eat up....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Eila

Senior Veteran
Jan 19, 2007
Visit site
✟10,980.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

God Bless
Jim Larmore

If something is not appetizing to you then you don't have to eat it. What is "normal" meat to the western world can be totally different if you are in a 3rd world country.

After the flood Noah was told that "all things" or "all creeping things" are now given for food but not to touch or eat the blood and in some cases the fat either.

It looks like I misunderstood your sentence. I took "in some cases that fat either" as modifying the verbs touch and eat instead of just eat. But then I'm not sure where Noah was instructed to not touch blood either or is this from Leviticus?

Upvote 0

Jimlarmore

Senior Veteran
Oct 25, 2006
✟17,990.00
Faith
SDA
If something is not appetizing to you then you don't have to eat it. What is "normal" meat to the western world can be totally different if you are in a 3rd world country.

It looks like I misunderstood your sentence. I took "in some cases that fat either" as modifying the verbs touch and eat instead of just eat. But then I'm not sure where Noah was instructed to not touch blood either or is this from Leviticus?

You can't eat something without touching it can you? Noah was instructed not to eat the blood which had the life in it. Later God instructed mankind not to eat the fat either in Leviticus. Abel dealt with the fat in Gen 4:4. I didn't intend to say you couldn't touch the fat but that it was not to be eaten. You never answered my question about the blood. Did God ever say it was ok to eat blood? Didn't Paul make a statement about the blood in the meat also?

God Bless
Jim Larmore

Upvote 0

lucyclaire

Nov 18, 2007
✟8,018.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Greens
I think that their are health issues with in Leviticus concerning food.
The health of the people living in the wilderness. The difference is we have refrigeration and scientific progress. We can keep meet safely, we know when shellfish looks bad, we can cure most food poisoning and we have laws on animal health to try and prevent "unclean" meat from getting into the food chain. We know about foot and mouth, blue tongue and bird flu and deal with it.
We were meant to discover things to make life better, in time. Levititcus also says a woman that is raped should marry the rapist, that is unacceptable to most of us now, just like the idea of executing anyone is, let alone a child that dishonours its parents.

Personally I don't eat shellfish because I am allergic to it, I do eat fish though and I eat mostly organic meat because I care about how the animals are raised and feed. I think not eating meat if preferable to eating meat produced of battery farms. I think that passages of Levititicus have a lot of common sense,for the time.

Upvote 0

PattyOfurniture

Aug 15, 2007
Florida
✟16,524.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think that their are health issues with in Leviticus concerning food.
The health of the people living in the wilderness. The difference is we have refrigeration and scientific progress. We can keep meet safely, we know when shellfish looks bad, we can cure most food poisoning and we have laws on animal health to try and prevent "unclean" meat from getting into the food chain. We know about foot and mouth, blue tongue and bird flu and deal with it.
We were meant to discover things to make life better, in time. Levititcus also says a woman that is raped should marry the rapist, that is unacceptable to most of us now, just like the idea of executing anyone is, let alone a child that dishonours its parents.

Personally I don't eat shellfish because I am allergic to it, I do eat fish though and I eat mostly organic meat because I care about how the animals are raised and feed. I think not eating meat if preferable to eating meat produced of battery farms. I think that passages of Levititicus have a lot of common sense,for the time.
Hi,
On this 'side of the Pond' ,most of us rather enjoy executions.
strange World I spose

Upvote 0

Eila

Senior Veteran
Jan 19, 2007
Visit site
✟10,980.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You can't eat something without touching it can you?

I guess you could, but it would be difficult. But you can touch something without eating it.

Noah was instructed not to eat the blood which had the life in it. Later God instructed mankind not to eat the fat either in Leviticus. Abel dealt with the fat in Gen 4:4. I didn't intend to say you couldn't touch the fat but that it was not to be eaten.

Abel had fat on the alter in Genesis. What does that have to do with eating? From what I have read in the Bible meat was not part of his diet.

You never answered my question about the blood. Did God ever say it was ok to eat blood? Didn't Paul make a statement about the blood in the meat also?

I guess I never answered the question because you never asked me the question :)

That issue does not concern me so I haven't studied it out, but I believe there is more to it than what you are suggesting. Blood is a whole different issue than clean/unclean. It kinda makes you look at Jesus' statement that we are to drink his blood quite shocking to Jews.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sophia7

Tall73's Wife
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2005
✟59,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Blood is a whole different issue than clean/unclean. It kinda makes you look at Jesus' statement that we are to drink his blood quite shocking to Jews.

Yes, I find that interesting, too, that eating blood was forbidden, but Jesus told people to drink His blood.

Upvote 0

lucyclaire

Nov 18, 2007
✟8,018.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Greens
Hi,
On this 'side of the Pond' ,most of us rather enjoy executions.
strange World I spose
I know America is the only Western country to still executions but the rest of us have done away with it, including Israel and Russia, I believe.
It makes my point about they way society has changed since years of the Wilderness because we understand more about the world and humanity, people have. It took until the last century to discover Penicillin, a TB vaccine,to invent fridges etc. I honestly believe that Leviticus was relievent to the people it was addressing, who were building a civilisation. We were meant to change and we were meant to discover things to make life better, otherwise the information about bacteria curing a throat infection or infected blood would have been given too. Just as we now know about how to rear pork, how to store it and who causes things like salmonella poisoning.
Many of us, like pigs as creatures too.
Someone also made the point that food is cultural too and their are people whose livelihoods are made be catching shellfish, and with education they know a bad mussel, from a good one.

Upvote 0
Sep 19, 2007
✟15,247.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I know America is the only Western country to still executions but the rest of us have done away with it, including Israel and Russia, I believe.
It makes my point about they way society has changed since years of the Wilderness because we understand more about the world and humanity, people have. It took until the last century to discover Penicillin, a TB vaccine,to invent fridges etc. I honestly believe that Leviticus was relievent to the people it was addressing, who were building a civilisation. We were meant to change and we were meant to discover things to make life better, otherwise the information about bacteria curing a throat infection or infected blood would have been given too. Just as we now know about how to rear pork, how to store it and who causes things like salmonella poisoning.
Many of us, like pigs as creatures too.
Someone also made the point that food is cultural too and their are people whose livelihoods are made be catching shellfish, and with education they know a bad mussel, from a good one.
Lucy - some nice points!

Upvote 0