Clean and Unclean Foods: Do the Levitical Laws Apply to Christians?

Sophia7

Tall73's Wife
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2005
✟59,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is something that I posted in General Theology in response to a question someone had about eating shrimp, and I thought it would be an interesting subject for discussion on the Adventist Forum. The first quote is from someone on the other forum, and I am including it here just so you can understand the context of my response.

Acts 10:10-16
10 And he became very hungry, and would have eaten: but while they made ready, he fell into a trance, 11 And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending unto him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth: 12 Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air. 13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat. 14 But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean. 15 And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common. 16 This was done thrice: and the vessel was received up again into heaven.

This vision was referred to several other times in Acts, I believe. It meant that Gentiles did not have to give up their foods. No where in the bible do the apostles tell them to abstain from eating certain foods beyond-

Acts 15:29
That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.
One thing I would like to point out is that Acts 10 is really not talking about food at all but about Gentiles. The animals in the vision symbolize people. God was preparing Peter to go to Cornelius' house so that he could reach the Gentiles with the Gospel of Jesus. As a result, Cornelius and everyone else in his house who heard the message were filled with the Holy Spirit and baptized. Without this vision, Peter would never have considered inviting Gentiles into the house where he was staying or going to the house of a Gentile. In fact, when he returned to Jerusalem, he faced opposition from the Jewish Christians, who were horrified that he had gone to the house of Gentiles and even eaten with them (because they were "unclean" and not to be associated with by the very fact that they were not Jews).

Acts 15 (The Council of Jerusalem) does address the issue of meat. The conclusion of the council was that Gentile Christians should not be forced to be circumcised but that there were some particular things they should avoid: "food polluted by idols, sexual immorality, the meat of strangled animals, and blood" (v. 20).

I belong to a church that officially teaches that we should not eat unclean animals (including pigs and shellfish), according to the Levitical requirements. I was raised eating meat but not unclean meat. However, I see the inconsistencies in this view since if we were to follow everything in Leviticus, we would, as some have stated, not wear mixed fabrics, not touch a football, etc. Personally, I am now a vegetarian for health reasons, but I don't believe that eating meat is a sin, and I don't believe that the clean/unclean distinctions apply to Christians.

mva1985

Senior Veteran
Jun 18, 2007
Ohio
Visit site
✟19,628.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
While I personally believe that we all should be vegetarians because it is a healthier way of life and also that we will be when we get to heaven.

I disagree about the Levitical laws regarding clean and unclean - I believe that they still apply to us today. If those animals were unclean and not safe to eat in the Old Testament what makes them safer to eat in New Testament times?

Upvote 0

Sophia7

Tall73's Wife
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2005
✟59,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While I personally believe that we all should be vegetarians because it is a healthier way of life and also that we will be when we get to heaven.

I disagree about the Levitical laws regarding clean and unclean - I believe that they still apply to us today. If those animals were unclean and not safe to eat in the Old Testament what makes them safer to eat in New Testament times?

Where does the Bible say that they were unsafe to eat in the OT? Those laws were not given for that reason, nor were they a "health message."

Upvote 0

mva1985

Senior Veteran
Jun 18, 2007
Ohio
Visit site
✟19,628.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Where does the Bible say that they were unsafe to eat in the OT? Those laws were not given for that reason, nor were they a "health message."
The fact about them be unsafe is something we know today. I was not trying to say that the Bible comes out and says that.

And I while the Bible is clear about clean and unclean meats. The Bible certainly does contain a health message in it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

StormyOne

Senior Veteran
Aug 21, 2005
Alabama
✟5,866.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

honorthesabbath

Senior Veteran
Aug 10, 2005
Arkansas
✟19,680.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The word 'unclean' comes from the Hebrew word, tame’ taw-may’ , which means not pure or polluted. So I wonder where we are told that the cross made the polluted meats, unpolluted.

I'm also curious why a loving Creator would favor the health and well-being of one race over another? Can we really accept that God doesn't care if the Gentiles eat POLLUTED food?

Upvote 0
Aug 20, 2005
Arkansas, USA
✟16,512.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Where does the Bible say that Adam and Eve were given laws about clean and unclean foods?
In Genesis 1:29-30 God tells what Adam and Eve can eat. Nowhere does it mention them to eat meat of any kind. He is telling them he has given them every HERB that yields seed, and every tree whose fruit yields seed, it would be food for them.

That was the original diet. If it was good enough for God to give to Adam and Eve, I believe it holds true for humans today.

Reactions: mva1985
Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God never gave the ten commandments before he gave it to moses on the mount however the people already knew the commandments. The Sabbath for example was never instructed to be kept before exo. 20 but it was kept long before that. What i am saying is that the law was written in the hearts of men but because of the stubbornness and apostasy of israel he had to give visual and vocal reminders to them through Moses

Upvote 0

zeke37

IMO...
May 24, 2007
✟20,694.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
In Genesis 1:29-30 God tells what Adam and Eve can eat. Nowhere does it mention them to eat meat of any kind. He is telling them he has given them every HERB that yields seed, and every tree whose fruit yields seed, it would be food for them.

That was the original diet. If it was good enough for God to give to Adam and Eve, I believe it holds true for humans today.

Hello there

I realize that I am not allowed to debate here, but I was wondering....

where are Adam and Eve mentioned in Gen1...isn't that a generalization for "mankind"? Adam and Eve are mentioned in chapter 2, after the 7th day that God rested...but they are not mentioned before...?

on the subject of clean foods...I am in agreement with the majority here...don't eat bacon or lobster...mmmmmmmmm, bacon....(I still crave it but have not eaten it in over three years now...ever since I did my homework...

in His service
c

Upvote 0

Sophia7

Tall73's Wife
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2005
✟59,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello there

I realize that I am not allowed to debate here, but I was wondering....

where are Adam and Eve mentioned in Gen1...isn't that a generalization for "mankind"? Adam and Eve are mentioned in chapter 2, after the 7th day that God rested...but they are not mentioned before...?

on the subject of clean foods...I am in agreement with the majority here...don't eat bacon or lobster...mmmmmmmmm, bacon....(I still crave it but have not eaten it in over three years now...ever since I did my homework...

in His service
c

You can debate here but not in the main SDA forum. This sub-forum is open to everyone.

Upvote 0