Clarification on Lutheran beliefs

CanIHunt

Oct 1, 2013
✟8,008.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
1. Am I right in believing that Lutherans respect saints but do not venerate them in the Catholic sense? Meaning they do not physically pray to them/bow down to them or think they mediate a person to Christ?

2. Does a Lutheran believe that a Christian needs the Church to be saved? Through Sacraments of Baptism and Eucharist or other means? Or can a person be saved by only reading the Bible?

3. Does a Lutheran believe that the traditions of the Church over time are essential to a persons salvation or just helpful in their journey?

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,680.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
1. Am I right in believing that Lutherans respect saints but do not venerate them in the Catholic sense? Meaning they do not physically pray to them/bow down to them or think they mediate a person to Christ?

2. Does a Lutheran believe that a Christian needs the Church to be saved? Through Sacraments of Baptism and Eucharist or other means? Or can a person be saved by only reading the Bible?

3. Does a Lutheran believe that the traditions of the Church over time are essential to a persons salvation or just helpful in their journey?
1. Yeah, sounds about right to me. We remember and honor the saints, but we don't ask them to intercede for us in front of God.

2. We think that Baptism is necessary, but not absolutely necessary for salvation. By that we mean that ordinarily, one needs to be baptized to be saved, though we do not discount the ability of God to save people without baptism.

3. Traditions are useful, but necessary for salvation. The fancy Lutheran term is adiaphora, things that are indifferent.

Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
2. The Bible is a product of the Church. God used the Church to write, read, interpret, disseminate and preserve the Bible. You can't really separate the Bible and the Church like non-denoms and some Baptists would have you do. The Church is the mouth, the Bible is the word.

Upvote 0

Tangible

May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
3. Traditions are unnecessary.
The Scriptures are tradition. The Sacraments are tradition. The Liturgy is tradition. Preaching the Gospel is a tradition. Doctrine is tradition. Etc.

Reactions: Korah
Upvote 0

GracetotheHumble

Theology of the Cross
Mar 30, 2015
✟3,726.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
The Scriptures are tradition. The Sacraments are tradition. The Liturgy is tradition. Preaching the Gospel is a tradition. Doctrine is tradition. Etc.

I typically think of traditions as practices that take place that aren't mandated by scripture. Since you put it that way I would agree that those traditions are necessary. Although I am not positive that I would agree that the liturgy is a necessary tradition.

Upvote 0

Tangible

May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
but you do not pray to them right?
Right.

We may remember them, we may even pray ABOUT them (example below) but we don't pray TO them.

Collect Prayer for the Feast of St. Nicholas

Heavenly Father, shepherd of your people, we thank you for your servant Nicholas, who was faithful in the care and nurture of your flock; and we pray that, following his example and the teaching of his holy life, we may by your grace grow into the full stature of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟829,767.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
but you do not pray to them right?

Right.

We may remember them, we may even pray ABOUT them (example below) but we don't pray TO them.

Collect Prayer for the Feast of St. Nicholas

Heavenly Father, shepherd of your people, we thank you for your servant Nicholas, who was faithful in the care and nurture of your flock; and we pray that, following his example and the teaching of his holy life, we may by your grace grow into the full stature of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen.

And sing about them sometimes: http://www.hymnary.org/hymn/LSB2006/517

First verse, then insert the appropriate one for the day, then last verse. These are only a few of the verses.

There are other commemorative hymns as well.

Upvote 0