Visit site
✟447,819.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Abraham and his descendants had to be circumcised. Jesus and John the Baptist were too. Then I think often Christians believe it is no longer required though in Acts 16:1-3 Paul circumcises Timothy.
At my church yesterday a guest preacher talked about Colossians 2 including verse 11:

In him you were also circumcised with a circumcision not performed by human hands. Your whole self ruled by the flesh was put off when you were circumcised by Christ,
The preacher briefly said that males in the area would be circumcised but didn't explain what it meant. Twice he said that it meant "a new heart". I think the younger people in the congregation would assume it meant having a new heart.

Anyway what do you think about circumcision? Do you think it is a good idea for your children? Is it an embarrassing topic?

Reactions: Thera

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,007,133.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Abraham and his descendants had to be circumcised. Jesus and John the Baptist were too. Then I think often Christians believe it is no longer required though in Acts 16:1-3 Paul circumcises Timothy.
At my church yesterday a guest preacher talked about Colossians 2 including verse 11:

In him you were also circumcised with a circumcision not performed by human hands. Your whole self ruled by the flesh was put off when you were circumcised by Christ,
The preacher briefly said that males in the area would be circumcised but didn't explain what it meant. Twice he said that it meant "a new heart". I think the younger people in the congregation would assume it meant having a new heart.

Anyway what do you think about circumcision? Do you think it is a good idea for your children? Is it an embarrassing topic?

I believe that if one believes it is commanded, then go forth and circumcise infant sons, but otherwise please refrain. I see no good reason to do it then apart from divine commandment. It can always be done later in life if need be.

Upvote 0

Greengardener

for love is of God
Site Supporter
May 24, 2019
MidAtlantic
✟175,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I appreciate that you raise the question. I noticed that most Americans didn't think twice about circumcising their sons and the most common rationale was "so they won't look different in the locker room." Really! Among Gentiles and people in general, the infant undergoes this procedure without either parent to observe or comfort the child until afterwards. I've seen several dozen procedures, some with anesthetic (injected moments before cutting) and some with no anesthetic, and I've never seen a baby sleep through the procedure. For some it was a scene from a horror movie. I was frankly amazed that parents took it so ... routinely.

I don't have the final statement on what anyone should do in this matter. On the one hand, God made that foreskin and that was the end of the story for many generations. Why was circumcision given to Abraham, and how did he talk all his male servants into such a dramatic event? Why wouldn't circumcision be a commandment for the Gentiles in the New Testament as it was for anyone wanting to join Israel in the Old Testament?

From what I think I know about circumcision, the skin of the glans changes to a tougher skin once the foreskin is removed. This tougher skin is harder to infect. While this is true for sexually transmitted diseases, God already told us how to behave and if we walk in what He tells us, that's not the big issue in our lives. But living in the desert, a man might have a difficult time keeping an intact penis clean, so although circumcision is painful, undergoing circumcision, especially while young with rapid healing and then not having frequent or chronic infections might be much more humane. I would expect this is why there is such an association between circumcision and the idea of "cleanliness," and the opposite view that uncircumcision is "unclean." You can find that the American pediatricians think circumcision is necessary across the board, but in other countries, there is medical support for not circumcising. I would think it the duty of a father to teach his son how to stay clean whether circumcised or not, especially in a county where we can bathe in drinking quality water.

It does look to me that God accepted the Gentiles in their uncircumcised state, as He evidenced it right in front of Peter with the same gift He gave His disciples on that Pentecost of Acts 2. Is that like when He first accepted me, laden with all my uncleanness? Would something further, eventually, have been an expectation, just as it's an expectation that I grow in faith and in the knowledge of my Lord and Savior and through that knowledge live a cleaner life than I lived before? It seems the apostles struggled with this concept of circumcision, and they struggled against the Judaizers who were trying to shove the Gentiles into a Judaized mold of external behaviors only instead of encouraging them into the fullness of Christ and walking in righteousness from the heart. I'm sure in the long run all the Apostles wanted the Gentiles to really know and walk in that fullness, but at the Jerusalem counsel they agreed to only lay on them the necessary behaviors of avoiding fornication, foods polluted by idols, meats from strangled animals, and blood, adding that Moses was taught weekly and the Gentiles could hear those Scriptures which (as Paul said to Timothy) are able to make one wise to salvation. I've wondered if an act like circumcision is just not one of those things that one is "required" to do when one is thinking about what is necessary for salvation, any more than we could clean ourselves up enough to be worthy of salvation. But we do know that we are called by God to live clean lives, not filthy lawless lives. I would have thought circumcision was just a symbol of belonging to Him, but there was a line where uncircumcised men couldn't enter further in the temple. I've wondered about that. What does God expect us to understand about all this? Paul calls the Gentiles Jews by faith and of the circumcision by faith. So I don't have the answers here.

But from someone who watched altogether too many parents not even consider the cost of circumcision on their infant sons, or who don't seem to have, intelligent, convinced reasons to put their sons through this surgical process, I'm glad you are thinking about it. May you seek His wisdom and walk in full faith in Him, especially when it's your turn to make that decision for a son or sons.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

Either there are right and wrong reasons for someone to become circumcised and Paul only spoke against the wrong reasons, or according to Galatians 5:2, Paul caused Christ to be of no value to Timothy when he had him circumcised, and Christ is of no value to roughly 80% of the men in the US who have been circumcised. In Acts 15:1, they were wanting to require all Gentiles to become circumcised in order to become saved, however, that was never the purpose for which God commanded circumcision, so the problem was that circumcision was being used for a man-made purpose that went above and beyond the purpose for which God commanded it. So the Jerusalem Council upheld the Mosaic Law by correctly ruling against requiring circumcision for the wrong reason, and a ruling against something that God never commanded should not be mistaken as being a ruling against obeying what God has commanded, as if the Jerusalem Council had the authority to countermand God.

While Paul said that circumcision has no value, that what matters is obedience to God's commandments (1 Corinthians 7:19), he also said that circumcision has much value in every way (Romans 3:1-2), so the issue is that circumcision has no inherent value and that its value is entirely derived from whether someone obeys the Mosaic Law (Romans 2:25). In other words, circumcision of the flesh has value only insofar as it symbolizes a circumcised heart that is submitted to the Mosaic Law. In Romans 2:26, the way to recognize that a Gentile has a circumcised heart is by observing their obedience to the Mosaic Law, which is the same way to tell for a Jew (Deuteronomy 10:12-16, 30:6), while having an uncircumcised heart is associated with refusing to obey the Mosaic Law (Jeremiah 9:25-26, Acts 7:51-53).

In 1 John 2:6, it says that those who are in Christ are obligated to walk in the same way he walked, and he walked in obedience to the Mosaic Law, so when Colossians 2:11-16 speaks about those who are in Christ having a circumcised heart, he was speaking about them being made alive in Christ in obedience to the Mosaic Law, specifically in regard to why they should not let anyone judge them for celebrating God's holy days.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Greengardener
Upvote 0

Hawkins

Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2005
Canada
✟238,144.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Circumcision, in terms of a covenant, marks someone to be a Jew in the covenantal sense. To put it another way, you are not a Jew in terms of the Mosaic covenant even by bloodline that you are a Jew. Baptism has the same effect on marking a person as God's people, especially in the case when that person is a gentile as there's no other way which does the same.

Upvote 0

Thera

Sep 21, 2019
Montreal
✟52,709.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship

As Adam was the one who sinned, I thought circumcision symbolised cutting off the seed of Adam (death), to be born into the seed of the woman (life through Christ). This is why (apart from anatomical reasons) circumcision wasn't for women. I think this is also why the bible associates uncircumcision with uncleanness and sin - this comes from Adam.

I don't think God would have commanded something that would be harmful to his people, and most nurses and doctors I've read say circumcision is a good thing. I don't think it's embarrassing - its just extra skin afterall - one of those facts of life that can sometimes make the bible studies more interesting, if not outright funny. Knowing that uncircumcision can be unhygenic and that most females are in favour of circumcision, it might be an embarrassing topic to discuss if one is an uncircumcised male. I remember joking and laughing with some girls in a bible study once, but one or two guys seemed mortified - probably they weren't done!

I appreciate that you raise the question. I noticed that most Americans didn't think twice about circumcising their sons and the most common rationale was "so they won't look different in the locker room." Really! Among Gentiles and people in general, the infant undergoes this procedure without either parent to observe or comfort the child until afterwards. I've seen several dozen procedures, some with anesthetic (injected moments before cutting) and some with no anesthetic, and I've never seen a baby sleep through the procedure. For some it was a scene from a horror movie. I was frankly amazed that parents took it so ... routinely.
I think this is a difficult decision. In bible times, circumcision was done on the 8th day for a reason. But this is usually too young for an anaesthetic. So is it best to circumcise at 8 days without anaesthetic, or at several months with some pain reduction? Parents probably go more with what the bible says.

I don't have the final statement on what anyone should do in this matter. On the one hand, God made that foreskin and that was the end of the story for many generations. Why was circumcision given to Abraham, and how did he talk all his male servants into such a dramatic event? Why wouldn't circumcision be a commandment for the Gentiles in the New Testament as it was for anyone wanting to join Israel in the Old Testament?
Lol. Do you think Abraham talked them into it, or DEMANDED it? :) I think only the latter would have worked. For New Testament Christians, our circumcision (the same as for the rest of the law) is fulfilled in Christ.

From what I think I know about circumcision, the skin of the glans changes to a tougher skin once the foreskin is removed. This tougher skin is harder to infect. While this is true for sexually transmitted diseases, God already told us how to behave and if we walk in what He tells us, that's not the big issue in our lives. But living in the desert, a man might have a difficult time keeping an intact penis clean, so although circumcision is painful, undergoing circumcision, especially while young with rapid healing and then not having frequent or chronic infections might be much more humane. I would expect this is why there is such an association between circumcision and the idea of "cleanliness," and the opposite view that uncircumcision is "unclean." You can find that the American pediatricians think circumcision is necessary across the board, but in other countries, there is medical support for not circumcising. I would think it the duty of a father to teach his son how to stay clean whether circumcised or not, especially in a county where we can bathe in drinking quality water.
I don't know about this, but do know that some nurses who have had to look after males say circumcision is much cleaner, even with us not living in the desert. It is also claimed that wives of circumcised men are less likely to contract certain diseases, due to better hygiene and cleanliness. Also, I think one study suggested that the tougher skin from circumcision meant less over-sensitivity, and that the male was therefore better able to satisfy his wife in intimacy, although I guess this would be hard to prove on a wide scale.

But from someone who watched altogether too many parents not even consider the cost of circumcision on their infant sons, or who don't seem to have, intelligent, convinced reasons to put their sons through this surgical process, I'm glad you are thinking about it. May you seek His wisdom and walk in full faith in Him, especially when it's your turn to make that decision for a son or sons.
Are you talking about the cost of pain, or other costs? I think some methods of circumcision are quite barbaric, but they don't need to be. Jews have circumcised for thousands of years, so many parents try to have a mohel perform the circumcision - it is much more humane. Also, in recent times because of feminism and women often having a tender, more sympathetic nature, female mohels (mohelets) are also becoming more popular for the gentlest snip.

Upvote 0

JohnClay

Married Mouth-Breather
Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2006
Australia
Visit site
✟447,819.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
.... Also, I think one study suggested that the tougher skin from circumcision meant less over-sensitivity, and that the male was therefore better able to satisfy his wife in intimacy, although I guess this would be hard to prove on a wide scale....
I was assuming that extra sensitivity was a good thing but then I didn't think of the wife....

• Haha
Reactions: Sketcher
Upvote 0

Thera

Sep 21, 2019
Montreal
✟52,709.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I was assuming that extra sensitivity was a good thing but then I didn't think of the wife....
I think better for both. There are even medicines for "premature [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]", so I don't think over-sensitivity is beneficial for the guy, either.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If it's going to be done, it is least destructive when done to babies.

And when it's been done to you as a baby, you don't have to wrangle about whether or not you should go through it to please God. That's not a load that boys need on their minds during their "questioning/anxiety" phase. This isn't to say that it must be done beforehand, but for that reason I believe it is beneficial.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Carbon

Wondering around...
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2016
Florida
✟133,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Our son is fully intact. Why perform an unnecessary surgery on an infant's genitals? Not cool.

Yes, I am familiar with all the claimed benefits. They are totally unconvincing, and many boys and girls get infection from being cut.

Most developed nations do not cut their children.

• Useful
Upvote 0