Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Sometimes, urgency and conviction doesn't just come to us. You have to actually put a little mental effort in. If you really want a jolt, you could meet those whose lungs are failing due to emphysema. If that doesn't encourage you to quit, nothing will.

• Useful
Reactions: WannaWitness
Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I quit smoking cigarettes 20 years ago, when my first son was born. But I still get cravings to smoke a pipe (tobacco), and give in about once a year. I see sin as either a “you do it or you don’t”...there’s no such thing as a “little bit of a sinner”...but whether smoking falls into thT category seems to me to be more of a question as to whether you are addicted or not (in which case, if you “need” it, it may fall into the idolatry sin), rather than whether you partake.

(But what do I know?)

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Bluerose31

Christian Flower
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
US
✟419,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
i smoke cigarettes and I’m a Christian
But I don’t get convicted to disciplined because of them
Any other sin you name it there’s conviction, but not for cigarettes, what should I do ? Please help
I don't think smoking cigarettes is a sin, its just unhealthy. I am praying that God will help you stop cigarette smoking.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I think it's like being food addicted and obese. It's not right but it's an addiction so it is difficult to overcome. Many people try to break their addictions and fail over and over. It's hard. I think the key is to understand and try to break that addiction. I don't think people with these addictions deserve to be beat up and constantly judged for their addictions but instead should be supported and helped and prayed for. Harping on someone for smoking or for eating too much is not really helping them, no matter how good the intention. If you figure out how to stop smoking, let me know. I've broken my food addiction already.

Upvote 0

elytron

Oct 5, 2008
California
✟290,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When I was HS age, liked to smoke cigars and cigarettes. Then I became a Christian, and threw my supplies in the garbage. Haven't smoked since, so there is hope to quit. I was sort of forced to quit though, since I wasn't old enough to buy more tobacco products. Maybe I wasn't fully addicted yet, I don't know. At the time I felt it was a serious sin against God's creation. I no longer believe that, but it did help me to quit. Probably not a helpful post, wanted to share my experience.

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,083,516.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Any other sin you name it there’s conviction, but not for cigarettes, what should I do ? Please help

Are you sure that you feel no conviction? After all, you are praying about it and on this forum asking for advice. Whether you feel conviction or not though, cigarette smoking isn't just dangerous to you, it's harmful to others.

Do you know that cigarette smoke around babies, and older children who have not yet developed their language skills, can cause hidden ear allergies and secret hearing loss which can interfere, for life, with their ability to process and use language? Such kids often end up in learning disabilities classes.

Also, think about this, what do you get out of smoking? Frankly, stinky clothes, stinky breath, more wrinkled skin, maybe more yellow teeth, serious health risks, and a pile of ashes. What could you have done with the money that went up in smoke? It doesn't matter whether you feel convicted or not, you arte losing out.

I had a friend once who got over smoking with earnest prayer and a patch. I pray for your freedom...

Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
I quit smoking about 15 years ago, after smoking for more than 20 years. I had tried everything over the years. But here is what made me do it. A very dear, lifelong friend of mine did not try to convince me it was a sin, didn't try to give me all the regular warnings, didn't judge me. But with all the sincerest love in his heart, he said "I love you. And it breaks my heart to see what you are doing to yourself by smoking." It was all he said - he didn't try to guilt me, convict me, or scold me with the "sin" talk. He approached me with no agenda of his own, and used my love for him as something he knew would motivate me. I thought about that and prayed about it, and when I prayed, God spoke to me, and said the very same words my dear friend had spoken. That was enough for me...I quit right on my friend's birthday - the date was my gift to him. Quitting was my gift to God. Maybe that's what it means to be a living sacrifice? ...but whatever, I now know that my body is clean, and fit to be a temple for the Spirit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Stop smoking.

Upvote 0

WindHund

Prophet of Doom
Jul 1, 2013
USA
✟1,016,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Any other sin you name it there’s conviction, but not for cigarettes, what should I do ?

You should not need to be told everything to do by the Spirit thru conviction. As Paul wrote, "I have not given you a spirit of fear but of love and a sound mind." That sound mind should also tell you that you are harming your body by smoking. And Paul also wrote,"Know ye not that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit?" I do not see the Holy Spirit wanting to live in a smoke polluted temple. So, use your gifts of intelligence and see what smoking will do to you and stop!

Upvote 0

WilliamBo

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
East coast USA
✟164,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Pray for conviction. I smoked for 15 years and then finally the Lord set me free from smoking. I did a 13 day water fast and it dissolved my cigarette addiction, I haven't smoked since. Pray about the smoking over and over

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Hi Steve & ArmenianJohn.....Smoking is not a sin.
This post is for anyone who finds themselves in the same situation.

First of all, it must be understood, Smoking Cigarettes (IS NOT AN ADDICTION) but it most assuredly (IS A HABIT).

Simple explanation, you sleep 8 or more hrs a night, but you aren't woken up by withdrawal to have a Smoke in the middle of the night, if you happen to get up in the night you more than likely have a smoke, but only because your awake.

In the morning some people grab a Cigarette, as soon as their feet hit the floor, then there are those who can hold off until they get a cup of coffee, the two Habits feed each other.

The understanding is, anything you associate Smoking with (IS THE HABIT).

Therefore it is not Smoking you need to quit, it is the Habit of association which needs to be broken.

This then is the Regimen, the Discipline required in order to stop the Habitual Association.

This Regimen differs with each person.
1) Allow yourself 1 Cigarette every hour, on the hour, you are awake for 1 Month, no exceptions.
2) Do not have your first cigarette of the day until you have been awake for 1 hour.
Example, if you wake up at 6:30, your hour begins at 8:00
3) If for whatever reason, you are not able to have your hourly Cigarette, then you must wait until the next hour.
No 5 min. grace period, every hour means on the hour.
4) Whenever you finish eating, if it is after the hour, you must wait until the next hour.
Simple rule, try to coincide your eating with your hourly Cigarette, but be sure to finish before the hour.
5) Remember, whenever you have something to eat or drink throughout the course of the day, you are not permitted to have a Cigarette until the allotted coming hour.

Understand this, you will only have a Craving, whenever you do something which you associate with smoking, that's the Habit.

That is just the point, it is the breaking of the association of an event with Smoking which is the Habit, not the Cigarette itself, or the Nicotine craving.

Remember, you are able to sleep 8 hours or more a night, without a Nicotine Craving waking you up, but once you are awake, you associate the different things you do throughout the day with Smoking.

If you stick to the regimen, you will find, one day, you really don't want a Cigarette that day at 3PM when you are allowed to have one, that is the sign that what you are doing is working.

The object is, by Smoking on the hour only, you are breaking the Habit Cycle. it's really not as enjoyable to have a Cigarette when you don't particularly want one, or it becomes inconvenient, saying to yourself, I have to go have my Cigarette now, or I will not be able to have one for another hour, the Habit that you have enjoyed so much, will become burdensome, out of sync, at times it will even become disdainful, and not enjoyable at all......YEAH !

When you find that your becoming aware of the times you do crave a Cigarette, then you will be able to stretch out your time to 2 or even 3 hours apart, or even cutting yourself down by half or more Cigarettes a day, and spacing your hours further apart.

Look, its your Regimen, no one has to know what it is your doing for your self, it is best to keep it a secret until one day you can say, "I have quit Smoking"!!

It is of the utmost importance to stick to the Regimen, but if you slip, then just reset yourself for the next hour. if no one knows what it is you are doing, then they cannot condemn, and mock you.

This is a Regimen I devised for myself.
I smoked for 50 years, I enjoyed smoking, I didn't particularly want to quit, but I felt I should, that it would be the best thing for me to do......I quit for good June, 1, 2006, no withdrawal, no cravings sinse.

Believe me, it feels great to say to yourself, I'm not going to have a Cigarette now when I can have one, I will wait until the next hour, just to find you really don't want one then either, that's control over your Habit.

That is when you can set yourself to 3 Cigarettes a day, and that will be sufficient, but understand, there isn't any time schedule to quit, it's when you can, that way you will not start again.

Then low and behold, one day you will finally realize I not only don't need Cigarettes, I do want one,
and you QUIT.......CONGRATULATIONS ! ! !

PS.
Sorry for the length of this post, but it takes time to quit Smoking.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Sep 24, 2017
Brisbane
✟496.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, does smoking harm your health? What does the Bible say about someone who destroys the temple of God.

Anyway, going based on conviction alone is a specious way of reasoning.

Upvote 0

Sarah G

Pro-peace, anti-war, anti-violence.
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2017
Netherlands
✟131,322.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is not good to let anything other than God be a master over us. You know you shouldn't smoke that is why you are thinking and writing about it. Quitting is not so hard once you get through that first 5 days. I prayed the Jesus Prayer a lot (constantly!) to get through it: Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.
I didn't think I would be able to quit, I was worried my mental health and or marriage wouldn't survive it but it was fine. My husband didn't even notice I quit until over 24 hours later when he couldn't find my ashtray! It's been three weeks and I am done with smoking for good. There was just no good excuse to be made anymore, smoking does not glorify God. May the Holy Spirit help you break this addiction, in Jesus' Holy Name, amen!

Bible verses about smoking

Many people ask questions such as is smoking a sin? Can Christians smoke cigarettes, cigars, and black and milds? There are no Scriptures that say thou shall not smoke, but smoking is sinful and I will explain why below. Not only is it sinful, but it is bad for you.

smoking-quote-202x300.jpg

Some people are going to make excuses. They will literately search the web to find out if it is a sin, then when they find out it is a sin they will say well pollution and gluttony is bad as well.

No one is denying that, but pointing out another sin like gluttony doesn’t make smoking any less sinful. Let’s learn more below.
25 Important Bible Verses About Smoking

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,083,516.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Hi Steve & ArmenianJohn.....Smoking is not a sin.
This post is for anyone who finds themselves in the same situation.

First of all, it must be understood, Smoking Cigarettes (IS NOT AN ADDICTION) but it most assuredly (IS A HABIT).

Simple explanation, you sleep 8 or more hrs a night, but you aren't woken up by withdrawal to have a Smoke in the middle of the night, if you happen to get up in the night you more than likely have a smoke, but only because your awake.

In the morning some people grab a Cigarette, as soon as their feet hit the floor, then there are those who can hold off until they get a cup of coffee, the two Habits feed each other.

The understanding is, anything you associate Smoking with (IS THE HABIT).

Therefore it is not Smoking you need to quit, it is the Habit of association which needs to be broken.

This then is the Regimen, the Discipline required in order to stop the Habitual Association.

This Regimen differs with each person.
1) Allow yourself 1 Cigarette every hour, on the hour, you are awake for 1 Month, no exceptions.
2) Do not have your first cigarette of the day until you have been awake for 1 hour.
Example, if you wake up at 6:30, your hour begins at 8:00
3) If for whatever reason, you are not able to have your hourly Cigarette, then you must wait until the next hour.
No 5 min. grace period, every hour means on the hour.
4) Whenever you finish eating, if it is after the hour, you must wait until the next hour.
Simple rule, try to coincide your eating with your hourly Cigarette, but be sure to finish before the hour.
5) Remember, whenever you have something to eat or drink throughout the course of the day, you are not permitted to have a Cigarette until the allotted coming hour.

Understand this, you will only have a Craving, whenever you do something which you associate with smoking, that's the Habit.

That is just the point, it is the breaking of the association of an event with Smoking which is the Habit, not the Cigarette itself, or the Nicotine craving.

Remember, you are able to sleep 8 hours or more a night, without a Nicotine Craving waking you up, but once you are awake, you associate the different things you do throughout the day with Smoking.

If you stick to the regimen, you will find, one day, you really don't want a Cigarette that day at 3PM when you are allowed to have one, that is the sign that what you are doing is working.

The object is, by Smoking on the hour only, you are breaking the Habit Cycle. it's really not as enjoyable to have a Cigarette when you don't particularly want one, or it becomes inconvenient, saying to yourself, I have to go have my Cigarette now, or I will not be able to have one for another hour, the Habit that you have enjoyed so much, will become burdensome, out of sync, at times it will even become disdainful, and not enjoyable at all......YEAH !

When you find that your becoming aware of the times you do crave a Cigarette, then you will be able to stretch out your time to 2 or even 3 hours apart, or even cutting yourself down by half or more Cigarettes a day, and spacing your hours further apart.

Look, its your Regimen, no one has to know what it is your doing for your self, it is best to keep it a secret until one day you can say, "I have quit Smoking"!!

It is of the utmost importance to stick to the Regimen, but if you slip, then just reset yourself for the next hour. if no one knows what it is you are doing, then they cannot condemn, and mock you.

This is a Regimen I devised for myself.
I smoked for 50 years, I enjoyed smoking, I didn't particularly want to quit, but I felt I should, that it would be the best thing for me to do......I quit for good June, 1, 2006, no withdrawal, no cravings sinse.

Believe me, it feels great to say to yourself, I'm not going to have a Cigarette now when I can have one, I will wait until the next hour, just to find you really don't want one then either, that's control over your Habit.

That is when you can set yourself to 3 Cigarettes a day, and that will be sufficient, but understand, there isn't any time schedule to quit, it's when you can, that way you will not start again.

Then low and behold, one day you will finally realize I not only don't need Cigarettes, I do want one,
and you QUIT.......CONGRATULATIONS ! ! !

PS.
Sorry for the length of this post, but it takes time to quit Smoking.
Actually on the addiction issues I have seen information that cigarettes are more addicting than heroin.

Upvote 0
Aug 20, 2016
United States
✟17,007.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Honestly smoking is not a good habit. They are more beneficial things you could be doing. It could turn into a serious addiction, which can lead to a lot of problems. Here's the thing, you have to realize the effects of smoking. Seek God diligently and have his grace give you strength. I have my addictions too, and it's easier said then done. Trust me, smoking is not healthy and it can lead to many dangers. So I'll pray for you and hope you overcome your addiction.

Upvote 0

Gwen-is-new!

The Lord is my rock!
Feb 25, 2016
United States
✟27,741.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
He approached me with no agenda of his own, and used my love for him as something he knew would motivate me. I thought about that and prayed about it, and when I prayed, God spoke to me, and said the very same words my dear friend had spoken. That was enough for me...I quit right on my friend's birthday - the date was my gift to him. Quitting was my gift to God. Maybe that's what it means to be a living sacrifice? ...but whatever, I now know that my body is clean, and fit to be a temple for the Spirit.

The "sin" talk is effective for Christians because they want to please their Lord. Whatever eat, whatever you drink, whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.. Most Christians are motivated by HIS love for them and their love for HIM, so the "sin" talk is a expected and welcomed.

• Useful
Upvote 0