North Island
✟292,569.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
my church is ok but I visit other churches.
I do kinda wish some things were different about my church though.
I have been in lots of churches over the years before I settled in this one, so I dont want to move and start over all over again, but I'm not sure if visiting other churches is due to just generally feeling unsettled in my life at present or not.

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Are you able to help change some of the things that you wish were different? If there's some ministry, or study group, or social gathering that you wish your church did, could you work with some other people in the church to start that ministry or activity? What kinds of things do you want to see changed?

Upvote 0

StillGods

Aug 9, 2017
North Island
✟292,569.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
maybe, I've stayed too long in a small group due to commitments in terms of providing transport for a person so its difficult to leave knowing that might mean that person cant get there.
in this church the small groups are where supposedly you are supported and live life together, but there is little pastoral care from the leaders, little prayer for each other. The leader doesnt ask if there are any prayer needs just prays as he thinks, no one else prays, he puts on a dvd, he runs through a list of questions that hardly delve into anything meaningful spiritually, he talks and that's it. sadly it feels a bit dead. his wife is hardly there due to work commitments.
I got laid off from my job never heard from the small group leaders. even though I didnt expect to hear from them given what they're like it still hurt. it's like they dont care. they probably do but who would know.
I have stayed in that small group too long, I think that is why I feel the way I do.

• Prayers
Reactions: Tigger45
Robert1849
Robert1849
Unfortunately, we can only give what we have. Based on what you said about your pastor, I suspect he is secretly burnt out and just going through the motions. And if he has nothing to give, that only trickles downstream to the leaders who run the small groups. Sad, very sad. Ben there, done that, bought the tee shirt... I feel for the guy.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It is not easy to leave a church after being a part to it for so long and forming relationships there. I think guilt over such a decision is to be expected. Only you can discern what that inner voice speaking dissatisfaction means.

I my own case, I knew my faith wasn't being nurtured where I was, I felt empty, and I was only going through the motions out of a sense of loyalty and obligation. When I finally got brave enough to leave and adjusted to my decision, I came to regret not having made the change earlier.

Best wishes as you decide what is right for you. These are tough things to wrestle with.

Upvote 0