MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Have you contacted the Antiochian Music Director? They have a lot of sheet music they can share with you. The Antiochian Church has music seminars every summer in Pennsylvania, and some local ones all over the USA.

Also try Orthodox PsalmNotes. I'll see if I can get you the website. You can download sheet music from there.

Upvote 0

ChoirDir

Choir Director
Jan 19, 2004
South Carolina
Visit site
✟15,652.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
In particular I am searching for some of the traditional Kanons used in most OCA services. Our parish is Antiochian (seems the OCA is nowhere to be found in this area) but our pastor likes to include some traditional Russian composers since we are a truly pan-Orthodox parish. Made up of Arabs, Greeks, Slavs, and are you listening Susannah, even some IRISH!
Myrtle Beach is a retirement community and we have a lot of parishioners who came from different Orthodox up north. Good mixture of OCA, Greek, Antiochian, even some Ukrainian Orthodox.

Upvote 0

ChoirDir

Choir Director
Jan 19, 2004
South Carolina
Visit site
✟15,652.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Matrona,
We are starting to grow. When I first arrived here, it was strictly congregational singing. In 4 months time I have established a choir and have them doing 3 part harmony for parts of the service. We could use a few more males tho. Missing that bass section. A lot of snowbirds are down now. And the Sunday services have been full house for the last few weeks.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
ChoirDir said:
Matrona,
We are starting to grow. When I first arrived here, it was strictly congregational singing. In 4 months time I have established a choir and have them doing 3 part harmony for parts of the service. We could use a few more males tho. Missing that bass section. A lot of snowbirds are down now. And the Sunday services have been full house for the last few weeks.

What are you doing to grow your church?

Upvote 0

ChoirDir

Choir Director
Jan 19, 2004
South Carolina
Visit site
✟15,652.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Some of the founders, believe it or not, have actually searched the local phone book for ethnic names. Called them and asked if they are Orthodox and if they knew we existed. To date it has brought in about 10 new families. The latest is a Russian woman and her daughter. They are new to America. The daughter speaks perfect english but mom is just learning. And the daughter is my newest soprano. Being in the Bible belt it is tough to find other Orthodox. We even have had some Protestants attend services out of curiousity. Mainly from a piece the local paper did when Father G came to town.

Upvote 0

Matrona

Lady Godiva Freedom Rider
Aug 17, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟20,668.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
At the risk of hijacking your thread, did you know that Frederica Mathewes-Green is coming to Columbia? She's going to be speaking and doing a book-signing at St. Barnabas on February 8 and at University of South Carolina on February 9. Since it was her writings that originally got me interested in Orthodoxy, I'm really excited! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nicodemus

Orthodox Christian
Nov 21, 2003
Florida
Visit site
✟9,414.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics