Church Business or Operational Meetings on Sundays?

How do you feel about church business or planning meetings on Sundays?

• Bring it on!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I suppose it's ok.

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Meh.

• Pick another day please.

• Absolutely not.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

WorshipNico1

May 13, 2019
Philadelphia, PA
✟15,754.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey folks,

I'm hoping to get some biblical insight or Spirit-led wisdom regarding business meetings on Sundays. I don't know if I am being fleshly or if I'm just overthinking it but I'm hoping to get some counsel (Prov 19:20).

We are a relatively small church of 120. With the exception of the Pastor we operate with a completely volunteer staff. I am one of six volunteer ministry leaders. We each manage a specific ministry system (worship, prayer, kids, etc) and a handful of other volunteers under our leadership. We run one Sunday morning service and small groups throughout the week. The majority of the ministry leaders have full time jobs that allow us to serve in a volunteer capacity. The others are at home raising young children...equally as challenging if not more!

Our pastor desires to have meetings on Sunday evenings. While I support his direction I find myself challenged at the same time. I wrestle with the idea of asking volunteers for more time on Sunday. I realize it's the same amount of time if the meeting is conducted another day of the week but there's something about Sunday night that feels out of sorts. I guess I'm challenged by the idea of calling the group back to the church in the evening after they've served faithfully that morning and have done everything else it takes to prepare during the week (rehearsals/trainings, administration/scheduling, etc). To me, Sunday night should be family time. Sunday afternoons/evenings are one of the few unrestricted moments we have to connect with family since we are all working other jobs during the week.

I completely understand that there are others in ministry who volunteer over multiple services or more. My question isn't about how much one person serves vs another but more about the balance of serving and family time. This also isn't about a desire to serve...I can guarantee everyone on that leadership team loves Jesus and isn't afraid of kingdom work.

I'm also not particularly asking about the Sabbath implications either but would welcome any perspective here regardless.

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Our pastor desires to have meetings on Sunday evenings.
So, part of this has to do with how mature the pastor is. A newer seminary graduate doing things will be different than a seasoned person with decades of growth in Jesus.

And evening service can be good or not so good. It depends on who is doing it.

So, how mature are the leaders? And how intimate as family are the members with one another? This has something to do with it.

Also, the manner of leading is important. Is the pastor having feedback back and forth with the members, about what is best for them?

I personally might have an evening service, with complete voluntary assistance, so ones who need family time would be welcome to stay home. And it might turn into a social thing for ones who have nothing else to do and they need more time with fellowship and prayer and worship. And I might sit down and encourage members to do what they do not do during the morning service. And the children might be included, as in a family occasion. And maybe dogs could come, for all I know, since it is family in our Father's love.

But in case you have ones dictating how things must be for everyone > everyone needs to be there, it can't work with children in the service, it is impossible to have dogs present and be spiritual > I mean > if ones are dictating how things must always be for everyone > I don't think every person is alike, and it says,

"nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock." (1 Peter 5:3)

I would think a church growth development would be to have a midweek service, with understanding that not everyone would be able to get free from work, such as a PM personal care job, or a job with a two-hour commute.

But, thinking about evening workers > may be you could consider having your evening service on Saturday evening, so day workers on weekends could get to it. Plus, there are younger ones who do not want to get isolated on dates, but they want to be able to share with Christian people on Saturday evenings.

And, again, welcome and trust members to pray and do what God has them doing.

I guess I'm challenged by the idea of calling the group back to the church in the evening after they've served faithfully that morning and have done everything else it takes to prepare during the week (rehearsals/trainings, administration/scheduling, etc). To me, Sunday night should be family time.
Like I say, the evening can be more family style so there is not an overload on anyone. The pastor can have a mature member give a message, and the pastor can feed on the word through . . . someone mature who has been mentoring and feeding the pastor. Then others can also benefit from such people who have been good for the pastor.

You could have small-round-table groups resourcing about some subject of scripture . . . like small groups, but then share all together about what different groups were getting, so you all can minister to one another. Each group could be a home group, but on Sunday evenings you can share and benefit from what other groups have been doing.

And have more of a prayer meeting, maybe.

My question isn't about how much one person serves vs another but more about the balance of serving and family time.
In our church we honor the autonomy of each family, how things are done and what is working out in the relating in each household. But we provide Sunday service and Wednesday midweek evening and small groups and special events, so families or family members can attend and benefit from these occasions. And we have a Tuesday recovery group, for all sorts of substance and personal need sorts of recovery . . . which we all need, since we all have been first developed in sin.

So, I would consider an evening service, but on Saturday, since there might be day weekend workers who can't make the Sunday morning service, plus the evening would not be on the same day. And you can see who really does appreciate the Saturday one > if the members are different, the pastor can use the same sermon, both times :) And I have seen how a pastor who does the same sermon, even during Sunday morning services, can be more inspired in the later one > possibly his first sermon and congregation ministered to him, plus the second service might have enhanced him so his same sermon the second time was more spiritual.

So, in any case, then, you need to do ministering which is ministering to you so you are growing and more and more blessed, not getting used up and having a run-in with your own ego's limits. But submit to the LORD and test what His income of grace has you doing so more and more we are sharing, in Jesus Christ's "rest for your souls." (in Matthew 11:28-30)

But in case there is pressure and pushing people without evaluating if we are laboring in His rest > yes, there is such a thing as emotional and spiritual abuse by church leadership - - an by our own selves!! And we are to obey God's approved and mature leaders (Hebrews 13:17) who I believe will require us to make sure we are with God and resting in His grace in flowing with Him in all we do . . . more and better as we grow in God's grace with His creativity.

God is indeed creative, in His love; so yes God will have you doing things creatively in His love - - - better than whatever you now might be able to rehearse or dictate. So, be blessed :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm a bit surprised the pastor wants to push himself that much. At my church, Mondays are days off, and Tuesdays are the debrief for the weekend services. Our church has more full timers than yours does, though.

There needs to be organization at a time everyone can make. Perhaps your pastor suggested it not because another day is bad for him but because he can't think of a better one. Perhaps a better day and time can be worked out.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
If the pastor is part-time and has to travel a good distance to get to the church, Sundays may be one of the only good options for these meetings since he or she is guaranteed to be in town on that day. For a full time pastor who lives in the community, timing should be a lot more flexible.

Upvote 0