Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Nicotine, a chemical in tobacco, is a drug, and you are becoming addicted to it. My thoughts are that you have not found the right levels of medications to help you deal with your depression, and that nicotine is doing for you, what psychotherapy and psychotropic meds can do. The tobacco can and will kill you and destroy your body. It is the nicotine that your body is responding to. Find healthier alternatives.

Upvote 0

Yyharssargyhaell

Sep 16, 2007
In a house
✟8,150.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Good Morning,

First, let me thank you again for taking the time to read all of that. Some new information:

I went to my family physician today and discussed the situation with him. He's been my health-care provider since I was six years old and is very familiar with my disorder. He is, of course, very upset about me smoking, but feels like it is a necessary evil for the time-being. He too feels the nicotine itself is a very minor player, being as I use a low-nicotine tobacco and smoke only half-bowls at a time in a medium sized pipe and I never inhale the smoke. The carcinogens in the smoke are, however, a very big concern and I will be looking to an English or Virginia with fewer chemicals.

Wow, a long story, and I will get back to you.

Thanks, I look forward to your thoughts. :D

Nicotine, a chemical in tobacco, is a drug, and you are becoming addicted to it. My thoughts are that you have not found the right levels of medications to help you deal with your depression, and that nicotine is doing for you, what psychotherapy and psychotropic meds can do. The tobacco can and will kill you and destroy your body. It is the nicotine that your body is responding to. Find healthier alternatives.

Whether or not it is the nicotine I am responding to is still a matter for debate, I am sure. I have friends who smoke and a licensed medical doctor who feel like the nicotine is having little bearing on my state of mind.
I've been to three different psychologists suggested by gastroenterologists and my family physician. All of which have provided absolutely no help.

My Grandfather once told me this story:

A man was treading water in the middle of the ocean. He prayed and prayed for God to save him. Eventually a boat came along and threw over life preserver and yelled for him to grab on and they'd pull him to safety. He called back - "No thanks! God's going to save me!". They left and he continued to tread water, growing evermore weary. He continued to pray to God for salvation. A helicopter flew overhead and tossed down a rope ladder and offered to fly him to land. He called up - "No thanks! God's going to save me!". Finally the man sank into the cold water and died. When he awoke in Heaven he went to God and said - "God, I prayed for hours for help and you never saved me. Why?" and God looked at him and said - "Who do you think sent the boat and the helicopter?".

Sometimes, when looking for a miracle, we overlook blessings. How do I know this is not a blessing in disguise? Obviously we can combat it by saying it is unGodly because the Bible, His word, condemns it. However, this seems to be the only thing that works. I have spent countless days talking to mental health providers, analysits, being poked and prodded, undergoing different types and strengths of medicine. I've been on more than just the three anti-depressants in an attempt to correct my mental state, but how do we know these aren't unGodly too? Surely one of the medicines that I have to take presently is unGodly. It causes irregular heart function with prolonged use! I can stay the course and ruin my body just as thoroughly as I can with smoking a pipe, no, I can do it even more thoroughly.

I am not saying this is a cure or even a valid treatment option, but it is an option that I need to seriously consider. Of course I will be trying new treatments as they become available and will continue to pray for a healthier alternative.

I'm not trying to justify it either. I can't stress enough - no one wishes more than I that I could find some other way. Unfortunately, no other way has presented itself yet. It maybe that I will turn 21 and will be able to try some alcoholic remedies and that might help, or I might be able to recieve relief from something in another country that has not been considered here.

Thanks again everyone. Keep the thoughts and advice coming.

Y.

Upvote 0

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Good Morning,

First, let me thank you again for taking the time to read all of that. Some new information:

I went to my family physician today and discussed the situation with him. He's been my health-care provider since I was six years old and is very familiar with my disorder. He is, of course, very upset about me smoking, but feels like it is a necessary evil for the time-being. He too feels the nicotine itself is a very minor player, being as I use a low-nicotine tobacco and smoke only half-bowls at a time in a medium sized pipe and I never inhale the smoke. The carcinogens in the smoke are, however, a very big concern and I will be looking to an English or Virginia with fewer chemicals.

Thanks, I look forward to your thoughts. :D

Whether or not it is the nicotine I am responding to is still a matter for debate, I am sure. I have friends who smoke and a licensed medical doctor who feel like the nicotine is having little bearing on my state of mind.
I've been to three different psychologists suggested by gastroenterologists and my family physician. All of which have provided absolutely no help.

My Grandfather once told me this story:

A man was treading water in the middle of the ocean. He prayed and prayed for God to save him. Eventually a boat came along and threw over life preserver and yelled for him to grab on and they'd pull him to safety. He called back - "No thanks! God's going to save me!". They left and he continued to tread water, growing evermore weary. He continued to pray to God for salvation. A helicopter flew overhead and tossed down a rope ladder and offered to fly him to land. He called up - "No thanks! God's going to save me!". Finally the man sank into the cold water and died. When he awoke in Heaven he went to God and said - "God, I prayed for hours for help and you never saved me. Why?" and God looked at him and said - "Who do you think sent the boat and the helicopter?".

Sometimes, when looking for a miracle, we overlook blessings. How do I know this is not a blessing in disguise? Obviously we can combat it by saying it is unGodly because the Bible, His word, condemns it. However, this seems to be the only thing that works. I have spent countless days talking to mental health providers, analysits, being poked and prodded, undergoing different types and strengths of medicine. I've been on more than just the three anti-depressants in an attempt to correct my mental state, but how do we know these aren't unGodly too? Surely one of the medicines that I have to take presently is unGodly. It causes irregular heart function with prolonged use! I can stay the course and ruin my body just as thoroughly as I can with smoking a pipe, no, I can do it even more thoroughly.

I am not saying this is a cure or even a valid treatment option, but it is an option that I need to seriously consider. Of course I will be trying new treatments as they become available and will continue to pray for a healthier alternative.

I'm not trying to justify it either. I can't stress enough - no one wishes more than I that I could find some other way. Unfortunately, no other way has presented itself yet. It maybe that I will turn 21 and will be able to try some alcoholic remedies and that might help, or I might be able to recieve relief from something in another country that has not been considered here.

Thanks again everyone. Keep the thoughts and advice coming.

Y.
I will pray for you to find healthier alternatives. I understand the concerns about having been to therapists, and I too have been to many therapists before I found the right one. I also tried a variety of medications before I found the right set of meds that help me. A lot of mental health is, unfortunately, trial and error. It does seem like torture while working on the trial part of it, and not finding the right combination of therapy and medications.

I have a son who smokes and drinks and it breaks my heart because of the health risks, as well as the fact that he had previously been in treatment for heroin addiction. He had unsuccessfully tried to quit smoking, and has repeatedly gone back to it. It is the most challenging addiction to quit. That is my main concern for you. There may come a day when you decide to quit smoking your pipe, and find yourself unable to quit without a lot of difficulty.

God bless you as you try to find the right answers for your problem. I hope you can find some that are healthier and less addictive than the pipe. Good luck.

Upvote 0

rejectreality

Feb 14, 2005
✟15,531.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, this is quite interesting for me. Believe it or not, I too am a pipe smoker. So, don't expect disapproval from this end. First off: Most people (including myself) smoke pipes for the shear fact that it is a very relaxing activity. I say if smoking a pipe improves your condition, then keep it up. As far as tobacco products go, pipes are by far the healthiest route. So long as you know the risks and are willing to accept them, then I don't see any problems whatsoever. I do hope your condition improves, be it with a pipe or a doctor, and hope to hear how you're doing soon.

God bless

Upvote 0

1Newcreation

Veteran
May 5, 2006
E. Coast USA.
✟17,078.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Yharss..
Smoking can be relaxing, it could be the fact that you are relaxing is why things are easing up in your health. Not necessarily the tobacco's ingredients.

Our intestinal tract and digestive system can be effective dramatically if we are in a state of anxiety or uptightness especially if one has a disorder already. When we relax, our colon and other bits and pieces internally relax also. Of course there is an underlying cause for the disorder to occur in the first place, and obviously just relaxing is not the remedy, but I believe it could help.

Have you heard of JORDAN RUBIN? He had a severe digestive and intestinal disorder which brought him almost to the brink of death, he had lost so much weight. He travelled to the ends of the earth to find a cure. His story is well worth reading. His treatment and recovery is quite remarkable and it is natural and obedient to God's Word.

There are things that we all pretty much know if we ingest it enough over a period time, there are going to be detrimental effects, whether it is years of eating processed foods, drinking alcohol excessively or smoking tobacco.

Though smoking your pipe is currently bringing you some relief, I would consider it as a devil in angel's disguise.

I believe in time you will find a natural, healthier alternative which won't compromise your health in any way, your conscience won't be pricked and you will have peace about your choice.

God Bless you and may the Lord heal you in Jesus' name.

:) 1newcreation

Upvote 0

Yyharssargyhaell

Sep 16, 2007
In a house
✟8,150.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I will pray for you to find healthier alternatives. I understand the concerns about having been to therapists, and I too have been to many therapists before I found the right one. I also tried a variety of medications before I found the right set of meds that help me. A lot of mental health is, unfortunately, trial and error. It does seem like torture while working on the trial part of it, and not finding the right combination of therapy and medications.

I have a son who smokes and drinks and it breaks my heart because of the health risks, as well as the fact that he had previously been in treatment for heroin addiction. He had unsuccessfully tried to quit smoking, and has repeatedly gone back to it. It is the most challenging addiction to quit. That is my main concern for you. There may come a day when you decide to quit smoking your pipe, and find yourself unable to quit without a lot of difficulty.

God bless you as you try to find the right answers for your problem. I hope you can find some that are healthier and less addictive than the pipe. Good luck.

Thank you for all your help. I really do hope I can find something else to help and I do have a lot of faith that God is and will help me.
I have a cousin with similar problems to your son. He was born with a heart condition and when he was 25 he had to undergo open heart surgery. He is a drug addict and smokes and drinks with the best of them. I can sympathize with you a little. I will keep you and your son in my prayers.

Well, this is quite interesting for me. Believe it or not, I too am a pipe smoker. So, don't expect disapproval from this end. First off: Most people (including myself) smoke pipes for the shear fact that it is a very relaxing activity. I say if smoking a pipe improves your condition, then keep it up. As far as tobacco products go, pipes are by far the healthiest route. So long as you know the risks and are willing to accept them, then I don't see any problems whatsoever. I do hope your condition improves, be it with a pipe or a doctor, and hope to hear how you're doing soon.

God bless

Thanks for posting. I know what you mean exactly. I feel well-informed on my decision. I spent a lot of time reading health reports, studies, talking with other pipe smokers, etc. Honestly though, I'm not looking for approval or disapproval, since this will never have my own approval. It is just a means to an end for the moment. Thank you for your support.

Yharss..
Smoking can be relaxing, it could be the fact that you are relaxing is why things are easing up in your health. Not necessarily the tobacco's ingredients.

Our intestinal tract and digestive system can be effective dramatically if we are in a state of anxiety or uptightness especially if one has a disorder already. When we relax, our colon and other bits and pieces internally relax also. Of course there is an underlying cause for the disorder to occur in the first place, and obviously just relaxing is not the remedy, but I believe it could help.

Have you heard of JORDAN RUBIN? He had a severe digestive and intestinal disorder which brought him almost to the brink of death, he had lost so much weight. He travelled to the ends of the earth to find a cure. His story is well worth reading. His treatment and recovery is quite remarkable and it is natural and obedient to God's Word.

There are things that we all pretty much know if we ingest it enough over a period time, there are going to be detrimental effects, whether it is years of eating processed foods, drinking alcohol excessively or smoking tobacco.

Though smoking your pipe is currently bringing you some relief, I would consider it as a devil in angel's disguise.

I believe in time you will find a natural, healthier alternative which won't compromise your health in any way, your conscience won't be pricked and you will have peace about your choice.

God Bless you and may the Lord heal you in Jesus' name.

1newcreation

No I have no heard of Jordan Rubin. Thank you very much for the reference. I am with you on the "devil in angel's disguise". I have never felt like this was something God meant for me to do, but it provided relief like I never thought I would have and I am just so happy to be back outside in the daylight doing things and I'm just not ready to go back to my dungeon yet.

The doctors claim I have irritable bowel syndrome, or IBS. After some research I've found that IBS is becoming more and more common. Fifty percent of patient visits to gastroenterologists, doctors who study the digestive system, end up being diagnosed as IBS. Further research shows that IBS can be anything from typical indegestion every day or so to chronic, violent episodes of loose bowels. The syndrome is mainly a colonic disorder; however, more and more doctors seem to be diagnosing symptoms that are generally acknowledged to be unrelated to IBS as IBS. This makes me think that this is the gastroenterologist's way of saying "I have no idea what your problem is so I'll stick you under this umbrella term and we'll ignore it."
I know I do not have IBS because of one symptom that is considered a "red flag" and denotes something more serious - vomiting. However, after two endoscopies and several blood tests, and several others I don't want to talk about, they have been unable to identify the cause of the vomiting. Therefore, they will stick me in with the rest, pump me full of drugs, and ignore me.

As much as we like to think it, we still do not understand precisely how the human body functions. Oh we can sit and say that the body draws in air and the lungs transmit it to the bloodstream while we ingest food and the digestive system transmits the nutrients to the bloodstream, the blood then takes nutrients and air to the cells which continue to multiply and grow and work. We can explain metabolism, we can explain personality, we can explain neurotransmitters and how the brain works and how people can think and feel, but we still do not know how these things work precisely. According to modern medicine thought is a tangible chemical reaction in the brain that causes us to believe we are alive and have free will while we are only dying organisms fighting our own demise, but this is asinine. Everything in modern science is so bleak and disturbing.

The point of all of this is that we place too much into science looking for answers. I wanted to be a surgeon, working in the trauma ward of a hospital, all of my life. I wanted to help people, to save lives, to provide answers. I have now lost all of my faith in modern medicine and especially the way we Americans practice medicine. No, I think I need to continue to look toward other treatments and rememdies. I need to find help in other ways. I've always been fascinated by plants and their healing and destructive powers. When I was a little boy I would grow plants and use them to help myself and family, using mints to help my sore muscles relax, peppers to keep my skin warm, using belladona as a poison around the house to destroy unwanted pests. I think it the definition of situational irony, though irony requires indifference (and I'm not wholely indifferent to my plight), that I'd find help in a plant I once used to kill (belladona and tobacco are of the same family - nightshade) and have always cordially disapproved of in the use of relaxation.

Another point I'd like to impress upon all is that I have never been a depressed person. I have been a naturally ambitious and optimistic person my entire life. It is only after years of hopelessness and disability that I have begun to feel depression. The depression is linked to, and dependant upon, the physcial condition. If I lose the physical I will lose the mental. This smoking does not alleviate my depression, it provides relief from the physical, which, in turn, frees me from the depression.
I have been two days without a smoke and am almost as sad and sorry as I was before I started. I miss the feeling of freedom, but I feel no call or draw to the pipe. I even carried it on me with all of my tobacco and lighter and tools yesterday, directly on my person, and felt no temptation to take it up. Thankfully God is keeping me from the addiction, it would seem, though pipes are certainly less addictive than cigarettes or even cigars. As mentioned by RejectReality, this is certainly the healthiest option, with the possibile exception of nasal snuff or steam cured tobacco.

Thank you all for your help and thoughts and prayers. I hope something will come of this. I go to Church again this Sunday for fellowship and maybe with the reference by 1NewCreation I will be able to find an alternate route to travel.

Thanks again for all your help,

Y.

P.S. I remember reading a study where ulcerative colitis, a rare but very serious disorder related to, but not similar to, IBS and other intestinal malfunctions, benefitted from pipe smoking. Furthermore, studies were done to see if smoking in other forms helped UC; however, the results proved that it only irritated it more. There is something about a pipe that is just odd...

If I can find it I will post it up.

Upvote 0

Yyharssargyhaell

Sep 16, 2007
In a house
✟8,150.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Let's be direct, even a bit blunt about this.

You will not live long enough to live with any of the negetive consequences of smoking the pipe ocassionally.

This appeares to have given you back your life. Enjoy!

Too true. My reasoning is - stay off the pipe and my chances of dying before I hit 25 are about 95%. Stay on the pipe and trust my magnificent genes, new healthy life-style, and, most important of all, my faith and trust in God, that I can continue this ever increasing uphill climb out of the quagmire while maintaining general oral health.

Let's be honest again, as little faith as I have in modern medicine, by the time I do get some kind of cancer we'll hopefully have a much better way of treating it. (Most oral cancers respond readily to treatment anyway)

Y.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums