Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
SPURGEON: Did he celebrate Christmas?
Posted on January 7, 2013 <- source

The following excerpt is taken from this sermon by Charles Haddon Spurgeon, who has been regarded by pastors of numerous denominations as the “Prince of Preachers”.

The following excerpt is from Spurgeon’s last message on Christmas in 1871.

“WE HAVE NO superstitious regard for times and seasons. Certainly we do not believe in the present ecclesiastical arrangement called Christmas: first, because we do not believe in the mass at all, but abhor it, whether it be said or sung in Latin or in English; and, secondly, because we find no Scriptural warrant whatever for observing any day as the birthday of the Saviour; and, consequently, its observance is a superstition, because not of divine authority. Superstition has fixed most positively the day of our Saviour’s birth, although there is no possibility of discovering when it occurred. Fabricius gives a catalogue of 136 different learned opinions upon the matter; and various divines invent weighty arguments for advocating a date in every month in the year. It was not till the middle of the third century that any part of the church celebrated the nativity of our Lord; and it was not till very long after the Western church had set the example, that the Eastern adopted it. Because the day is not known, therefore superstition has fixed it; while, since the day of the death of our Saviour might be determined with much certainty, therefore superstition shifts the date of its observance every year. Where is the method in the madness of the superstitious? Probably the fact is that the holy days were arranged to fit in with heathen festivals. We venture to assert, that if there be any day in the year, of which we may be pretty sure that it was not the day on which the Saviour was born, it is the twenty-fifth of December. Nevertheless since, the current of men’s thoughts is led this way just now, and I see no evil in the current itself, I shall launch the bark of our discourse upon that stream, and make use of the fact, which I shall neither justify nor condemn, by endeavoring to lead your thoughts in the same direction. Since it is lawful, and even laudable, to meditate upon the incarnation of the Lord upon any day in the year, it cannot be in the power of other men’s superstitions to render such a meditation improper for to-day. Regarding not the day, let us, nevertheless, give God thanks for the gift of his dear son.”

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Christmas is indeed part of the Catholic heritage.

But then again, so are the doctrines of the Trinity and the Hypostatic Union. Reformers would never have developed the doctrine of Penal Substitutionary Atonement if it weren't for Catholic developments before their time like the satisfaction theory.

"It's Catholic!" is not a good reason to reject something, per se.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,724.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
The Reformed view:

THERE is no day commanded in scripture to be kept holy under the gospel but the Lord’s day, which is the Christian Sabbath.

Festival days, vulgarly called Holy-days, having no warrant in the word of God, are not to be continued. Nevertheless, it is lawful and necessary, upon special emergent occasions, to separate a day or days for public fasting or thanksgiving, as the several eminent and extraordinary dispensations of God’s providence shall administer cause and opportunity to his people.

As no place is capable of any holiness, under pretense of whatsoever dedication or consecration; so neither is it subject to such pollution by any superstition formerly used, and now laid aside, as may render it unlawful or inconvenient for Christians to meet together therein for the publick worship of God. And therefore we hold it requisite, that the places of public assembling for worship among us should be continued and employed to that use.

DIRECTORY FOR THE PUBLIC WORSHIP OF GOD (1645) [spelling modernized].

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Reformed view:

THERE is no day commanded in scripture to be kept holy under the gospel but the Lord’s day, which is the Christian Sabbath.

Festival days, vulgarly called Holy-days, having no warrant in the word of God, are not to be continued. Nevertheless, it is lawful and necessary, upon special emergent occasions, to separate a day or days for public fasting or thanksgiving, as the several eminent and extraordinary dispensations of God’s providence shall administer cause and opportunity to his people.

As no place is capable of any holiness, under pretense of whatsoever dedication or consecration; so neither is it subject to such pollution by any superstition formerly used, and now laid aside, as may render it unlawful or inconvenient for Christians to meet together therein for the publick worship of God. And therefore we hold it requisite, that the places of public assembling for worship among us should be continued and employed to that use.

DIRECTORY FOR THE PUBLIC WORSHIP OF GOD (1645) [spelling modernized].
I always suspected that Sunday Sabbath was created by Catholics.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,724.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Keep doing it if you find it profitable. It can be a sound spiritual practice. Not for everyone but everyone's mileage may vary.
I find it profitable but I struggle with the idea of a 'church' adding this to their calendar and guilting people into keeping it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheOldWays

Candidate
May 28, 2014
✟125,030.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I find it profitable but I struggle with the idea of a 'church' adding this to their calendar and guilting people into keeping it.

indeed. i am of the opinion that no spiritual practice should be imposed on anyone. Protestant Christianity usually gets it right there as I can't think of anything anyone is 'supposed' to do besides attending worship services.

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
SPURGEON: Did he celebrate Christmas?
Posted on January 7, 2013 <- source

The following excerpt is taken from this sermon by Charles Haddon Spurgeon, who has been regarded by pastors of numerous denominations as the “Prince of Preachers”.

The following excerpt is from Spurgeon’s last message on Christmas in 1871.

“WE HAVE NO superstitious regard for times and seasons. Certainly we do not believe in the present ecclesiastical arrangement called Christmas: first, because we do not believe in the mass at all, but abhor it, whether it be said or sung in Latin or in English; and, secondly, because we find no Scriptural warrant whatever for observing any day as the birthday of the Saviour; and, consequently, its observance is a superstition, because not of divine authority. Superstition has fixed most positively the day of our Saviour’s birth, although there is no possibility of discovering when it occurred. Fabricius gives a catalogue of 136 different learned opinions upon the matter; and various divines invent weighty arguments for advocating a date in every month in the year. It was not till the middle of the third century that any part of the church celebrated the nativity of our Lord; and it was not till very long after the Western church had set the example, that the Eastern adopted it. Because the day is not known, therefore superstition has fixed it; while, since the day of the death of our Saviour might be determined with much certainty, therefore superstition shifts the date of its observance every year. Where is the method in the madness of the superstitious? Probably the fact is that the holy days were arranged to fit in with heathen festivals. We venture to assert, that if there be any day in the year, of which we may be pretty sure that it was not the day on which the Saviour was born, it is the twenty-fifth of December. Nevertheless since, the current of men’s thoughts is led this way just now, and I see no evil in the current itself, I shall launch the bark of our discourse upon that stream, and make use of the fact, which I shall neither justify nor condemn, by endeavoring to lead your thoughts in the same direction. Since it is lawful, and even laudable, to meditate upon the incarnation of the Lord upon any day in the year, it cannot be in the power of other men’s superstitions to render such a meditation improper for to-day. Regarding not the day, let us, nevertheless, give God thanks for the gift of his dear son.”

This is interesting to say the least! Having grown up celebrating Christmas with my family and still celebrating Christmas, giving weight where it is due, this does provide much to think about, especially as a parent. Wife and I put to rest the Santa Clause myth early in our son's life. We try to teach him Christmas is about Jesus, of course at his age he is most interested in the other non-Christian aspects of the season. One day he will come to realize all the fluff is just that, snow covered dung is still dung or all that glitters is not gold.

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
We do not celebrate Christmas nor do we celebrate the birth of our Lord and Savior on a given day. We do put up a tree and hang lights because of the season but mostly for our grandchildren.

I discourage things about Santa as well as reindeer or elves. I try to encourage the spirit of giving throughout the year. But Christmas gifts are expected. As long as it is not directly against the Scriptures, which of course can be made to prohibit anything, I have no real problem with it.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,724.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
We do not celebrate Christmas nor do we celebrate the birth of our Lord and Savior on a given day. We do put up a tree and hang lights because of the season but mostly for our grandchildren.

I discourage things about Santa as well as reindeer or elves. I try to encourage the spirit of giving throughout the year. But Christmas gifts are expected. As long as it is not directly against the Scriptures, which of course can be made to prohibit anything, I have no real problem with it.
Brother...reindeer are real! ( :holy: )

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JustAsIam77

Veritas Liberabit Vos
Dec 26, 2006
South Florida
✟30,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican

Santa is real! I saw him when I was a lad of about 6 yrs old albeit I was sleepy eyed in the wee hours of the morning Christmas day.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: twin1954
Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Santa is real! I saw him when I was a lad of about 6 yrs old albeit I was sleepy eyed in the wee hours of the morning Christmas day.
Even though I haven’t seen Him the Lord Jesus Christ is real. If it were a lie I would be of all men most miserable. 1Pet. 1:8

Reactions: JustAsIam77
Upvote 0