Christians who think harry potter is demonic.

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The occult is real, but harry potter is cartoonish.

The argument against Harry Potter (such as it is), is that the "cartoonish" occult in books (if it is described positively) makes people more open to the real occult.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The occult is real, but harry potter is cartoonish. Theres no proof people in the occult fly on brooms.
Harry Potter is like portions of many classic children's stories, King Arthur and Merlin, The Wizard of OZ, etc. all rolled by into one.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
The majority of the people making these claims aren't occult practitioners and never were. You can only glean so much from a book. Experience counts.

A well-read student of the classics would quickly recognize Rowling's influences. Tolkien, Lewis, Dickens, Austen, Trollope, and Greek mythology are prominent elements in her books.

But if your nose is buried elsewhere you may miss the connections. ;-)

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Children will encounter more references to magic in their daily dose of television (which parents rarely watch with them) than they'll have in the series. Many are out of touch with the realities of their children's knowledge and character. These are the people leaving the church in droves.

My daughter attended youth ministry at an Evangelical church and she was so disturbed by the teens she sought permission to go to the adult bible studies instead. And that's someone who didn't grow up with the gospel. To prevent issues in mixed settings they allowed her to join me in the ladies group.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A well-read student of the classics would quickly recognize Rowling's influences. Tolkien, Lewis, Dickens, Austen, Trollope, and Greek mythology are prominent elements in her books.

Well, you might contrast Harry Potter with The Lord of the Rings, where the inherent magic of Elves is positive, but sorcery by human beings is not.

I don't support a Harry Potter ban, btw, but I think parental supervision is probably required.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well, you might contrast Harry Potter with The Lord of the Rings, where the inherent magic of Elves is positive, but sorcery by human beings is not. I don't support a Harry Potter ban, btw, but I think parental supervision is probably required.

Tolkien openly admitted that he downplayed magic in his books. Rowling uses a different approach. The exchange between Cornelius and the Prime Minister highlights the issue:

Prime Minister: "But you're wizards! You can do magic! Surely you can sort out - well - anything!"
Cornelius Fudge: "The trouble is, the other side can do magic too, Prime Minister."

Both sides were in possession of great power that could not be controlled. While it could be used as a force for good it was also used for evil deeds as well. Magic was the vehicle for addressing power in a guise that youngsters could grasp. Character always determined their behavior and the choices that followed. It was reinforced throughout the series.

She demonstrated what becomes of power when it runs amok through the discrimination, persecution, and senseless murders that occurred. We know through our adult senses she's speaking of evil in all of this.

The lone solution was a sacrifice. Someone willing to die so that others might be freed from the evil that oppressed them. Harry accepts his fate and returns to end evil's reign. His rejection of the most powerful wand in the world is important. We can be seduced by things that appear innocent whose possession would lead to our undoing.

For some reason I thought of the tree of life. I'm not suggesting she intended to make Christian references. But there is a moral undertone in all of it. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Merlin's beard! Not this argument about Harry Potter again. I think it's riddikulus and I siriusly mean it, especially when the person complaining hasn't even read the books. One such person was a Christian man by the name of John Granger (no relation to Hermione Granger). He finally decided to read the books for himself and then he wrote a book about it. For the record, his book is Looking for God in Harry Potter and I personally recommend reading the book. I often recommend the book to any Christian who unfairly criticizes me about allowing my children to read Harry Potter.

I raised my seven children reading the Harry Potter books and watching the movies and not a single one of my five daughters or two sons has ever expressed the slightest interest in practicing witchcraft. None of them have ever declared themselves to be a wizard (or witch whichever the case may be).

HPTeachingWitchcraft.jpg

It really is riddikulus to say something like that. ^

Lupin.gif

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Rowling uses a different approach.

Well, yes. In Tolkien, humans learning magic is bad. In Harry Potter, it's not.

As I said, though, I don't support a Harry Potter ban, but I think parental supervision is probably required -- as is the case with most books, of course.

The "there's magic in it, therefore it's evil" argument is obviously ridiculous, of course.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The argument against Harry Potter (such as it is), is that the "cartoonish" occult in books (if it is described positively) makes people more open to the real occult.

My experience over the years has been that anyone who says something like that about the Harry Potter books has never actually read any of the books. I've always challenged such a person to go ahead and read one of the books for themselves. I also recommend the book written by the Christian author I linked in my first response. Many times (not all of the time), the person will come back to me and apologize and admit that they were mistaken about the nature of the books. I like to make them feel more at ease and less awkward by jokingly quoting Hagrid afterward and that makes them smile.

dm760.gif

Upvote 0