• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Christians annoy me.

Icystwolf

Jul 5, 2003
Sydney
✟2,596.00
Faith
Calvinist
well.....at least we don't swear, when someone asks for a time at 6 o'clock....
I think my more embarrassing times was when a NZ pronounced internet as unternet...and I thought she said underwear.......so I continued the conversation and....aii.....

I swear, I was ....well......red faced...these things happen.....

Upvote 0

wblastyn

Jedi Master
Jun 5, 2002
Northern Ireland
Visit site
✟11,265.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
PrayerWarrior87 said:
Like I pointed out earlier man in another thread, Homosexuality is the person who's doing it's choice, I can't sit here at the computer chair and tell them they're wrong for doing it, and that they're not going to Heaven, I'd never be gay, but that doesn't mean that just because they're gay, they're not Christians.
It doesn't annoy me that people think homosexuality is a sin, maybe it is. But just because it's a sin doesn't give people the right to talk about homosexuals like they are a disease.

Upvote 0

wblastyn

Jedi Master
Jun 5, 2002
Northern Ireland
Visit site
✟11,265.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
GJG said:
Hi all!.....I'm back!!:)
Sheesh..wblastyn..see what you gone and started! LOL. I'm hoping by now that you have seen the error of your ways.:( LOL. Well, I must admit that I was coming on strong with the kidding around, light hearted approach....hhhmmm...O yeah...I was trying to be funny!:) Unfortunately it had the opposite effect! Again, I apologize and ask everyones 4givniss!.....It's hard being the only cybertroll that evolved from a cyberape! LOL hahahah. When I write these attempts at light hearted humour I actually start making myself laugh...can you picture it?...a lone person laughing out loud at the monitor? Is there something wrong with me? But this is my own way of recieving my daily dose of medicine...I think there's a scripture? I am just immature I suppose....I used to be vague about this fact...but now I'm not too sure!

Thanks again for the interesting posts guys!

I'll be front........OOPS..I mean....I'll be back!
I did forgive you, but I just didn't like how you were talking about homosexuals.

Upvote 0

wblastyn

Jedi Master
Jun 5, 2002
Northern Ireland
Visit site
✟11,265.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Multi-Elis said:
I've heared christians blame my mother's depression on everything. Everybody thinks they know what my mother needs. (So do I). Some say "you need to go to this and this pastor, he has the gift of healing and God will heal your mother through him" or "your mother needs to start going to prayer groups" Enough people have prayed for my mother. That is not the problem. My mother has been in nothing but prayer groups, so that isn't the problem either. But why should my mother be healed just like that, with a finger snap? It wouldn't change her.
This is really annoying. People blame Satan on your mother's illness when it's a medical problem, so instead of being encouraged to get the treatment she needs she's told to get prayed for or havbe demons cast out, thus making her problems worse.

Thankyou for your advice :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Multi-Elis

Senior Veteran
Jul 6, 2003
Paris
Visit site
✟17,911.00
Faith
Christian
Actually after 20 years of my mother being in minor depression and 2 and 1/2 years of her being more majorly depressed, my father and I have arrived to a sort of conclusion that my mother's depression could just be the influence of wrong world view not just the negative thought side, but the "living" side it would take to long to explain, and I don't care whose fult it is. Every thought pattern is chemical... so that is how drugs help give a push. So yeah, just felt like saying what I think.

Upvote 0

Icystwolf

Jul 5, 2003
Sydney
✟2,596.00
Faith
Calvinist
wblastyn said:
This is really annoying. People blame Satan on your mother's illness when it's a medical problem, so instead of being encouraged to get the treatment she needs she's told to get prayed for or havbe demons cast out, thus making her problems worse.

Thankyou for your advice :)

Hmmm....thats not that true. I do agree people blame satan for everything, and thats a bit wrong because Jesus has defeated satan, and through him we too can defeat satan.

But the medical problem is not comparable with a spiritual quantity involved. You see, the physical side of it all is a medical problem, but how all things are tied and collected together is through spirituality.

So in some sense it could be satan that made her recieve an illness, or it could be God showing her forgiveness, just as Jesus healed a blind person and said, though he was born blind, he was blind to be healed and hence show the glory of God.

I hope that clarifies some things!

Upvote 0

Vollkommen Warrior

Jun 24, 2003
Visit site
✟917.00
Faith
Christian
"Well I think i just have to prove myself to God, not anyone else, especially since I don't know how to convince you."
I second.

"But just because it's a sin doesn't give people the right to talk about homosexuals like they are a disease"
I second.

"Satan, when in fact it could just be their raging hormones"
A step further..... Not to get too philisophical but science can identify and "name" a condition, ok. However, simply just because something is stamped with a scientific characterization, classification, or medical identification, doesn't mean that science was there first. Meaning it did not originate or is not some form of the "dark side" - if you will. Why prayer does or does not always aid in someone's healing? I don't know. But two conclusions of mine. I ain't gonna lose my faith to some disease by not praying to God for help from time to time. #2 If God allows me to live in a time that even our archaic science is advanced enough to make me feel better, yo ubet I'll pop that pill, lol. I still agree with you for the most part and get your drift. I just thought I would add that.:)

Upvote 0
I am usually ashamed how I feel due to I am a weak Christian and always viewed those who talked about the devil like that were strong. But I can to the conclusion..........we have our own free will. It is easier to blame the devil, than to realize our fault of being too lazy to get up and goto chruch (instead of saying, the devil got to me) . Which I tend to shy away from people who talk like that...due to it is not natural to me. Yes I believe in a devil, as I also believe in Jesus. But not everything is black and white...for a while I thought it was and boy I got the biggest headache ....became judgemental and etc! I read the book When Bad Christians Happened to Good People.....it was a good read for those who are frustrated! Anyways...agree with what is said, but I got to cut this short and go to bed

Upvote 0

EliasEmmanuel

Gomi No Sensei
Apr 20, 2002
Camdenton, Missouri
Visit site
✟16,287.00
Faith
Protestant
wblastyn, I'm right there with you.....

I think some folks here misinterpreted what you were saying, if I understand you right....

Me.... I get annoyed when seriously, obviously bad doctrine gets people's full support, and Pastors who're teaching what can only be called heresy are extremely popular in Christian circles. I get annoyed when I run into people who use Christianity as a justification for their arrogance and thinly veiled contempt for everyone else. I get annoyed with people riding just plain stupid issues (ie: "it's a sin for women to wear pants!"). I get annoyed at my fellow believers' tendancy to settle for really bad information (like that article from The Onion that got circulated as Gospel a few years ago, and the near absence of facts in Chick tracts). I get annoyed when people (with disturbing frequency) equate political Conservatism with being a good Christian. And I get annoyed when people slap Jesus' name all over kitsch.

I get REALLY annoyed when I hear about friends' stepmother, who was so "righteous" she once accused my friend of having had an abortion when she came home from school with a stomachache when she was 12. This sort of accusation was pretty common in her house.

I got equally annoyed when I was working with a guy who wouldn't eat lunch with the other guys because he didn't want to "get spirits on him", and thought I wasn't a Christian because I listen to rock.

Anyway.....

is this judging? I hope not. I can't say these people aren't saved, by and large (though I can say with relative certainty that some of them will have some stuff to answer for.... ). I think it's closer to discerning, IMO. Do I stand in judgement of these folks and think I'm better than them? No, but I also can't just shrug this stuff off, because I love Christ too much for that.

And I really do think it damages the kingdom immensely. Acts says the early Christians enjoyed the favor of the people.... why don't we? It's not because America hates Christianity more or is more hostile to Christ, because that really isn't the case. People overall have a good opinion of Jesus, but they look at the Christians they run across and they don't want to be like them. We're supposed to be a bridge and we often become a barrier. And just shrugging it off and saying "well, we're all just human, we all mess up", true as that is, doesn't change much. We can't fix it without recognizing it.

So yeah.... Wblastyn, the best I can tell you is recognize it, but don't let it eat at you and turn into a stereotype. I heartily recommend the book "Soul Survivor: How My Faith Survived The Church" by Phillip Yancey, it deals heavily with a lot of the "annoyance" you mentioned. Like you've already said, keep an eye on yourself, check your motives and so forth, because this is a situation where it's easy to become the thing you want to oppose. And find a good church.... you mentioned you were starting University, check out some campus ministries. Find someplace with solid teaching where you feel at home, where the leadership are willing to make time for people, understanding that any group of people is still made up of people.

But more than anything remember Who you're in this for. He's the one this is ultimately all about.

And PM or e-mail me sometime :) I'll be praying for you.

And everyone.... be the kind of person who breaks stereotypes. I know a lot of people here are anyway. :cool:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Jesus loves everyone just as they are, if he didnt no one would be saved, whoever it be a homosexual or whetever, its all about unity, eventually if your saved in Jesus, he will clean us up, he will again eventually bring all races of different backgrounds together despite there shortcomings, so we can all be one in his body, Hes the Head and were the body, were all to be representatives of Christ, Do all christians really represent Jesus sure they do, its in everyday life they represent him,in this way while we were still sinners he saved us and is still changing us from glory to glory, so in the big picture or aspect Jesus is represented in all christians lifes this way, though there are annoying christians Jesus still loves them, though there are homosexual christians Jesus still loves them, we represent Jesus by him showing mercy, forgiveness, and love to us everyday.

Upvote 0

Plan 9

Absolutely Elsewhere
Jul 7, 2002
Deck Six, Cargo Bay Two; apply to Annabel Lee to l
Visit site
✟20,357.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
nes6502 said:
"So we should lie to them and tell them it's demons? Then they all go to a priest to get their demon cast out instead of seeking the medical treatment they need.
"

Tell them them the truth. Jesus will heal them. Through the power of Jesus we can cast out our own demons with words and faith alone.

Regarding these mental illnesses, please give an example other than Alzheimer’s. That is the only example I can think of that merits medical attention.

I don't consider sleep walking or mood swings a mental illness.

I give no credit to OCD, anxiety, depression, hopelessness, lack of energy, etc....The secular society of today will solve all of the above problems (except Alzheimer’s) with a bottle of Zoloft, Paxel, EFFEXOR, etc, etc.....

These are all solved by Jesus Christ, not through narcotics. I'm well aware that many people beleive in secular medicine to the letter. When people go to these "doctors" they are diagnosed with a lack of "serotonin", and prescribed an anti-depressant. They don't address the cause of the depression, OCD, etc (a failed/lack of relationship with Christ).

None of the above drugs are narcotics. this post is a good example of why I sometimes feel what wblastyn does; it wouldn't do us Christians any harm to a have a basic understanding of something before we reject it and condemn everyone who listens to us to unecessary that God doesn't require of us. Life is hard enough without stopping the meds you need for OCD, for example.

Upvote 0

GodOwnsMe

Sep 3, 2002
Visit site
✟2,433.00
Faith
Christian
mhhhh I don't know lots about this stuff (meds for depression)
I agree it's way cool & important to have God heal you,
and be careful u don't get meds you don't really need.....
but I guess in some cases meds might be helpful, esp.
when it's something chemical....
God Bless u everybody =)
anyway, heya plan 9, nother star trek fan here :wave: used to watch that like everyday...

Upvote 0
Hoping some of you can help me with a problem regarding my husbands drinking. I am a growing christian and my husband is a backslidden christian. We are married 7 years and have four children ages 6 to 14. (both previously married). He drinks occassionally and shirks home responsibilities. It is unacceptable to me because he drinks and drives. I want to handle this situation properly because I do not drink or believe my kids should see him in such a state. This is a once a week occurance and I feel like I need to do something but am not sure what. I'd like to call the police the next time I know he is on the road with too much alcohol in him. I've already banned him from our bedroom when he comes home drunk. What should I tell him he obviously doesn't see the dangers to himself, others and our family.

Upvote 0
Tell him if he doesnt get help preferebly christian counciling, then hes going to have to move out, yes drinking is a disease, and he will probably drink more because of this, both parties need to work together about this, hes already driving drunk so what harm could he already do to himself, eventually he will end up getting in a wreck possibly killing himself or others. I am saying If hes not willing to listen tell him to move out until he acts like a reponsible man he should be, to first and foremost get his life back together and have a relationship with Jesus, second stun him,tell him to quit useing drinking as a crutch for backsliding, tell him Jesus cant love him anymore or anyless even when hes drinking, tell him to rededicate his life to Jesus and move on, tell him he has to have priorities,his kids will grow up to remember him this way, does he want his kids to remember him this way as a drunk or as a loving father that serves Jesus, Jesus already forgives him tell him that. last but not least pray for him continually despite how mean he gets, begin to stand in faith and see things as do not appear to be as though they be . Begin claiming and praying that he is not a drunk but a Man of God serving Jesus with all his heart - before you know it he will be that man serving God with all his heart. God bless you will be praying for you

Upvote 0