Jan 8, 2010
✟23,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Is there a way to reconcile Jesus’ command to love your neighbor as yourself and righteous violence? Can you be a Christian and be in the military, engaged in the business of warfare, even an unjust war? If a man breaks into your home, should Christians resort to violence to stop, and possibly kill him, in order to protect their family? I don’t know what Jesus would do in these scenarios.

Jesus whipped the money lenders out of the temple. And once, he also said, "I have not come to bring peace but a sword."

However, if I am trying to protect my family and end up killing an intruder or terrorist or whatever, how can I stand before God and say that I ended the life of someone who did not know Jesus and ended any chance of him coming to repentance and saving faith? If I or my family die, I know they're going to heaven and am therefore at peace with that.

Jesus once said "if a man strikes you on the cheek turn to him the other also." "Do not resist a evil person"

But, how can I not protect the ones that God has entrusted me to protect and to wage war against evildoers who wish to harm them? In the same vein, how can I stand before God and say that I let my loved ones die without doing anything to protect them?

I am a bit conflicted here.

SaltwaterHeart

A Christian Furry And A Christian Brony
Mar 12, 2014
Minnesota
✟7,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
However, if I am trying to protect my family and end up killing an intruder or terrorist or whatever, how can I stand before God and say that I ended the life of someone who did not know Jesus and ended any chance of him coming to repentance and saving faith?

Jesus forgives all sins. Even if you protect yourself, and, in your own self-defense, you kill an intruder, He will forgive you if you stand before Him and ask.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Is there a way to reconcile Jesus’ command to love your neighbor as yourself and righteous violence? Can you be a Christian and be in the military, engaged in the business of warfare, even an unjust war? If a man breaks into your home, should Christians resort to violence to stop, and possibly kill him, in order to protect their family? I don’t know what Jesus would do in these scenarios.

Jesus whipped the money lenders out of the temple. And once, he also said, "I have not come to bring peace but a sword."

However, if I am trying to protect my family and end up killing an intruder or terrorist or whatever, how can I stand before God and say that I ended the life of someone who did not know Jesus and ended any chance of him coming to repentance and saving faith? If I or my family die, I know they're going to heaven and am therefore at peace with that.

Jesus once said "if a man strikes you on the cheek turn to him the other also." "Do not resist a evil person"

But, how can I not protect the ones that God has entrusted me to protect and to wage war against evildoers who wish to harm them? In the same vein, how can I stand before God and say that I let my loved ones die without doing anything to protect them?

Well, yes I believe that Jesus would approve of us using lethal force as a last resort. If you ( general and spefic personally choose to not fight back then OK that is between you and God, but when it comes to protecting you and your family you may use lethal force ( particularly for those who cannot defend themselves)

As for the military there is nothing wrong with that either ( unless you personally have a conviction not to serve. For the same reason defending others and keeping the peace; plus the national guard ( considered part of the reserves does things here anyway. Think about what would have happened had there not been a second world war.

Unjust war, well when you have a volunteer force that is a risk you take you go where you are sent. HOWEVER, as long as you do not have any problems using lethal force to defend the United States you may or may not actually be in combat. What you cannot do is pick and choose which wars you are willing to serve in once you volunteer.

Upvote 0

Steeno7

Not I...but Christ
Jan 22, 2014
ONUG
✟22,549.00
Faith
Christian

Is it ever wrong to protect the innocent from those who would do them harm?

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Its all about compartmentalization. Once you are able to do that, you can rationalize all sorts of evil depraved misdeeds.
So honest question would you take issue if someone ended up ( directly) meaning I am standing with you and there is a gunman and I use lethal force to defend you, so in this case we are NOT talking about the military would you have a problem with that if your life was saved because someone ELSE had the means and chose to use lethal force.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
With regards to the military, I'd question a person's moral integrity, especially those in a few particular armed forces, that stay enlisted and follow orders when their governments have been caught lying to them and still engage in disgusting acts, often using the military to perpetrate them.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
With regards to the military, I'd question a person's moral integrity, especially those in a few particular armed forces, that stay enlisted and follow orders when their governments have been caught lying to them and still engage in disgusting acts, often using the military to perpetrate them.
so what happens ( honest question) if I join and then something comes up that I may not agree with. There are plenty of reasons folks join and we cannot deny there have been a few times ( how many debatable yes) but there have been times when a force HAS been needed

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
so what happens ( honest question) if I join and then something comes up that I may not agree with. There are plenty of reasons folks join and we cannot deny there have been a few times ( how many debatable yes) but there have been times when a force HAS been needed

Then you refuse orders and face the consequences.

Upvote 0

Sunshine Locket

This isn't what the Genie in the bottle promised
Apr 19, 2014
✟1,712.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
There is no scripture in the Bible wherein Jesus says to let your enemies murder you.

Very often we'll encounter atheists who will say the most despicable things to a Christian and when that Christian calls them on it the first thing out of the offender atheists mouth is:That doesn't sound like you love your neighbor as yourself!

What is not understood by atheists, and really, why would it be? Is that when Jesus commanded us to love our neighbor he was telling us to love the person as a fellow soul created by God to live in the flesh on earth. He was not telling us to love what our neighbor does when it is wrong or trespasses against us.

The commandments tell us that we shall not murder. If you're defending your life, fighting for your life against someone intent on taking that God given life from you, it is not murder when you defend yourself against an offensive assault. Not according to man's law. And not according to God's.

Jesus wasn't a pacifist. No one should ever arrive at that conclusion. If he were a pacifist he wouldn't have taken a whip to the money handlers in the temple. He would have remained docile and allowed them to defile the house of God by bowing to Roman rule.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
So honest question would you take issue if someone ended up ( directly) meaning I am standing with you and there is a gunman and I use lethal force to defend you, so in this case we are NOT talking about the military would you have a problem with that if your life was saved because someone ELSE had the means and chose to use lethal force.

Yes, I would have a problem with that. I am not helpless, I would handle the gunman myself.

I personally believe that Christians have been duped by Satanists into fighting Muslims around the world. Christians are fighting the wrong people.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yes, I would have a problem with that. I am not helpless, I would handle the gunman myself.

I personally believe that Christians have been duped by Satanists into fighting Muslims around the world. Christians are fighting the wrong people.
Are there right people to fight?

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I used to be also...but then I grew up.

Having been the victim of a violent crime, I came to understand that a person may have the right to not resist violence (although some would disagree), but they do not have the right to endanger innocents by their non-resistance.

So a person might not be obligated to defend themselves, but they are obligated to defend their dependents (spouse, children, etc.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.