Status
Not open for further replies.

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
Can you quote the verses so that people can see them in context?

In the OT, Solomon and David were both Kings, which is certainly politics.

It also seems that if one is to love their neighbor as themselves, that not caring about the world is the same as ignoring the needs, cares, and injustices suffered by your neighbor. Without seeing the verses, I would venture a guess that one should not strive to be in a place of power to rule by controlling others, and yet, one should not break the laws outright, and try to change those that seem to harm others, like those who marched in the Civil Rights Movement.

To not care about the world implies that one only cares about themselves.

Upvote 0

SiderealExalt

Feb 25, 2007
✟3,309.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Nothing to do with Politics? I don't agree.

The only thing for Evil to flourish would be for good men to stand by and do nothing. -Edmund Burke

This idea holds true if one things their religion is good and other things are evil. Personally. I want religion to stay out of politics to the utmost. Government should have a restraining order on religion.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Religion should not influence politics, but as Christians we should be alert and tuned in to politics. We have to be on the alert for things that may diminish our religious rights and affect our world. I love the separation of state and religion, it should be that way with politics fully, as long as all laws respect peoples religious rights.

Upvote 0

SiderealExalt

Feb 25, 2007
✟3,309.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
For now I'll settle for us eventually having a non-Christian president for once in the modern era.

Not really or only because I am not a Christian. But because I'm tired of all the pandering and honestly, fake nature of some of the things done in that interest. Particularly when it's election season. I haven't seen much of that this year but I wouldn't be surprised if there is.

Upvote 0

Robbie_James_Francis

May all beings have happiness and its causes
Apr 12, 2005
England, UK
✟20,261.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single

The only thing for Evil to flourish would be for good men to stand by and do nothing. -Edmund Burke

Well, it was Paul, the founder of your religion, that was so against Christians being involved in 'the world'.

And I would strongly challenge the assumption that Christianity has anything 'good' to offer that can combat 'evil'.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,656.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Mt 22:21--'Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's'

Beyond that I'd suggest reading the epistles and see what Paul has to say about the world outside the church.

I take it this means you can not find any verse that says Christians should stay out of politics.

Render unto Ceasar refers to paying taxes. It could be streched to affirming respect for authority.

Now I can could come up with tons of verses that would limit the ways Christians can behave in the political arena, but that is entirely a different matter. Or for that matter the goals. 'My Kingdom is not of this world' is one of those. A Christian attempt to establish a Christian state has major problems in light of this verse.

But Christian involvement in politics with the goals of dealing fairly will all people and caring for the weak and destitute has no such problem.

Or put differently. There is no problem and perhaps even a requirement that Christians work to make this a better world, and that includes in politics. But if they push things beyond that to try to force others into a 'Christian' mold or to create Christs Kingdom on earth they have taken a far different path.

Upvote 0

jcook922

Defender of Liberty, against the Left or Right.
Aug 5, 2008
United States
✟9,746.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian

Then I guess it's a good thing that you can be a good man without being a Christian.

Upvote 0

HannahBanana

Dec 11, 2006
Concord, MA
✟12,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
There are verses saying Christians should submit to the legal authorities, and also how they should have nothing to do with politics.

Why should Christians care about this world?
Frankly, I think that Christianity should stay out of politics, and vice-versa. If the authors of the Bible had known just how negatively religion could (and would) affect politics, I'm sure they wouldn't have promoted the uniting of the two.

Upvote 0

LJSGM

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
Wisconsin
✟15,171.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
For now I'll settle for us eventually having a non-Christian president for once in the modern era.

Not really or only because I am not a Christian. But because I'm tired of all the pandering and honestly, fake nature of some of the things done in that interest. Particularly when it's election season. I haven't seen much of that this year but I wouldn't be surprised if there is.

The anti-Christ?

We have Satan, the ruler of the world, setting up these false idols of "christians" that decieve many into worshipping his "beast" and causing God's name to blashemed among the nations.

Could the "christian right" be the anti-christ?

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jcook922

Defender of Liberty, against the Left or Right.
Aug 5, 2008
United States
✟9,746.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
The anti-Christ?

We have Satan, the ruler of the world, setting up these false idols of "christians" that decieve many into worshipping his "beast" and causing God's name to blashemed among the nations.

Could the "christian right" be the anti-christ?

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Normally ranting about the anti-christ being among us would make me just shake my head, but that was pretty funny, with some truth to it. ;)

Upvote 0

.Sabre.

Aliens ate my custom title.
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2006
Chasing the sun's fading light
✟40,588.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Well, here's a post from a conservative Pagan. I believe that the government should not interfere in the lives of the people--and a non-religious government would do this far better than a religious government IMO.

I think Christians being non-political doesn't mean they can't try to bring social change, but it does mean that religious rule isn't good. After all, a lot of Christian teaching is about free will and how a person should seek God on their own.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.