Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
As the title suggests, I have a strange little question about entertainment and being a Christian.

I find myself, wanting to entertain people. For example, I ran a podcast for some years. And I find myself wanting to do something like that again.

However, when I consider the time, money, and effort to do such a thing, I wonder if Christians should even be involved in just... entertainment.

Now keep in mind, I'm talking about maybe a $1,000, and a few hours a week. For someone like me who earns very little, that is a ton in my world, but I realize it's not like I could be putting 20 women up in a safe battered women's shelter.

Nevertheless.... I don't see much in the Bible about Christians being in entertainment. Obviously, whatever you do, do unto the Lord.

So what do you think. Just give me what comes to mind when you think about this.

Reactions: Neo_Frisk

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟962,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
First, is God calling you to a specific ministry, otherwise?

If yes, does this compete for your time/involvement?
If no, you are good to go.
If yes, you must choose one or the other.​
If no, you still need to find a job.
At that point, any job is acceptable (making widgets or making podcasts)
as long as it doesn't require you to blaspheme God.​

Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
First, is God calling you to a specific ministry, otherwise?

If yes, does this compete for your time/involvement?
If no, you are good to go.
If yes, you must choose one or the other.​
If no, you still need to find a job.
At that point, any job is acceptable (making widgets or making podcasts)
as long as it doesn't require you to blaspheme God.​

No, I am not a minister.
This wouldn't be a job. I have a job. This is just.... hobbyish.

No, I am not going to Blaspheme the Lord G-d of Heaven. Not an option.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟962,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This wouldn't be a job. I have a job. This is just.... hobbyish.
Would it add to your income?
Does it compete with some more important use of your time?

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟869,397.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Now keep in mind, I'm talking about maybe a $1,000, and a few hours a week.
I'm curious - are you saying it costs $1,000 a week to podcast? I kinda thought if you have a microphone and camera you're good to go.

• Agree
Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
As the title suggests, I have a strange little question about entertainment and being a Christian.

I find myself, wanting to entertain people. For example, I ran a podcast for some years. And I find myself wanting to do something like that again.

However, when I consider the time, money, and effort to do such a thing, I wonder if Christians should even be involved in just... entertainment.

Now keep in mind, I'm talking about maybe a $1,000, and a few hours a week. For someone like me who earns very little, that is a ton in my world, but I realize it's not like I could be putting 20 women up in a safe battered women's shelter.

Nevertheless.... I don't see much in the Bible about Christians being in entertainment. Obviously, whatever you do, do unto the Lord.

So what do you think. Just give me what comes to mind when you think about this.
God loves a cheerful giver.

The reality is that you can keep yourself in perpetual poverty while constantly giving your money away to those who are less fortunate. And that's not necessarily a bad thing either. A lot of people take religious vows to do that very thing. It's an honorable endeavor.

But it's also not necessarily for everyone.

The money you earn is yours to do with as you see fit. After you've addressed your responsibilities, whatever's leftover can be saved, spent or given away as you see fit. It's really up to you.

I have friends who podcast and they tell me that it's a cathartic experience to discuss whatever subjects they're passionate about, build up an audience and enjoy their hobby. There's no rule saying you can't do that as well.

It's okay to give your money to charitable causes and those who are in need. That's honorable. But there's also nothing wrong with keeping some to enjoy for yourself on a harmless hobby like podcasting.

• Agree
Reactions: Loyce KG
Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I'm curious - are you saying it costs $1,000 a week to podcast? I kinda thought if you have a microphone and camera you're good to go.

That was a prior experience.
What I am considering doing now, would be live streaming. The requirement for a slightly more beefy computer, plus a better than $20 web cam. I was also thinking I would like to try some animations and such, which requires a better video card.

All in all, to do what I would like to do, would require a one-time investment of roughly $897... or... Just a thousand bucks rounded up with of course our lovely tax system.

So, yeah. Podcasting was fun. I was glad I did it, but as near as I can tell, not a single person listened to it, and of course not a penny went to offset the cost. I would guestimate that I sank about a thousand dollars into that hobby too.

I had a two microphone setup, with a professional mixer and recording system, with a hilarious guy I met at work, and we had a good time doing it. But he got a child, and a house, and a big time job, and his time was more limited than mine, and I continued it for about 6 months after that, but certain life problems crept into my time as well, so I let it die.

Mainly I was working 4-day weeks, and used Friday to do the podcast. Well now I'm back on full weeks.. so....

This would hobby would be more of an off-the-cuff just video stream thing. My podcast was like days of researching and reading up on a topic, before talking about it. Obviously I still was awful, since no one listened to it, or donated to the cause. But again, it was fun. Glad I did it.

Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Would it add to your income?
Does it compete with some more important use of your time?

I highly doubt I will get money from this.
Nice thought though.

Compete with something? Not really. I don't do anything else that it would compete with. So I guess no? Not so much I don't think.

Upvote 0

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
I highly doubt I will get money from this.
Nice thought though.

Compete with something? Not really. I don't do anything else that it would compete with. So I guess no? Not so much I don't think.

It's okay to do something simply as a hobby if you genuinely enjoy it. Not everything we do has to bring in income. That's the thinking of a secular and materialistic society that is obsessed with commodifying everything it touches.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟736,252.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Often times the LORD's perfect will for us is difficult. What I mean by this, is He may think that your time would be better spent doing something else, yet God in His mercy is permissive, allowing us to do what we wish to do. He allows us to do what we with so that our spirits/hearts are not broken.

I will use myself as an example here. I play computer games, as a part of my day, now I know God's perfect will would be for me not to play, but rather spend my time in something more productive. But I also know it is God's permissive will, allowing me to play. He will not judge me, even though His perfect will would be no games.

In your situation if you asked God directly you may get the answer "It is best not to do it". However this does not mean that God would enforce that ruling, He is more likely to let you go ahead, so your heart can be healthy.

Upvote 0

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
Often times the LORD's perfect will for us is difficult. What I mean by this, is He may think that your time would be better spent doing something else, yet God in His mercy is permissive, allowing us to do what we wish to do. He allows us to do what we with so that our spirits/hearts are not broken.

I will use myself as an example here. I play computer games, as a part of my day, now I know God's perfect will would be for me not to play, but rather spend my time in something more productive. But I also know it is God's permissive will, allowing me to play. He will not judge me, even though His perfect will would be no games.

In your situation if you asked God directly you may get the answer "It is best not to do it". However this does not mean that God would enforce that ruling, He is more likely to let you go ahead, so your heart can be healthy.

God is not against us having fun so go ahead and play your computer games guilt-free.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟869,397.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
That was a prior experience.
Okay, I didn't understand for sure because I don't know much about it.
My podcast was like days of researching and reading up on a topic, before talking about it.
Sounds like you were doing it right.
Obviously I still was awful, since no one listened to it, or donated to the cause.
That doesn't mean you were awful. From what I've gleaned, people who get lots of listeners/viewers fall into three categories: 1) People who stick around with few listeners for years, and gradually grow through word of mouth, 2) People who promote and cross-promote themselves heavily, and 3) people who already have made a name for themselves in some field before they even start their podcasting. So basically, it may take time and effort, and if you enjoy doing it anyway, it may be worth that.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟962,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sounds fine to me. I have a hobby web ring on the internet. The topic [1:6 scale miniaturism] isn't particularly Christian, but I include relevant Salvation tracts on each "genre" page. They are not required, but I figured, "Meet me, meet my God..." type of thing. ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Okay, I didn't understand for sure because I don't know much about it.

Sounds like you were doing it right.

That doesn't mean you were awful. From what I've gleaned, people who get lots of listeners/viewers fall into three categories: 1) People who stick around with few listeners for years, and gradually grow through word of mouth, 2) People who promote and cross-promote themselves heavily, and 3) people who already have made a name for themselves in some field before they even start their podcasting. So basically, it may take time and effort, and if you enjoy doing it anyway, it may be worth that.

Perhaps. Perhaps I'm just not savvy at promotion. Nothing is more uncomfortable to me, than saying "come listen to me!".

The purpose of my podcast was to go a bit deeper into complex issues, and explain them so people could understand.

Over the course of 2 years, I never once got any indication that anyone anywhere, had listened to a single podcast. So after the other guy left, (or I should say that he just didn't have the time to do it), I slowly lost interest in just recording myself for no ones benefit.

Perhaps if I had somehow promoted the show, maybe someone would have listened to it... but that simply isn't a skill I have. I did what promotion I knew how to do, such as posting it on Facebook, iTunes Podcast page, Twitter, and so on. But clearly that had no effect.

Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Colossians 3:23 (KJV) And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;

Always. A great verse that fits with every aspect of life.

Reactions: crossnote
Upvote 0

Kenyon Ledford

Mar 1, 2019
Parts Unknown
✟15,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Brother if you are creative, CREATE!
If it can glorify God, even better!
A labor of love can even sometimes catch on

• Friendly
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Kenyon Ledford

Mar 1, 2019
Parts Unknown
✟15,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I saw that and it was a bit, WHOA! I've been thinking of adding a podcast to my...my whatever

• Haha
Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

TechyinAZ

Sep 2, 2018
Flagstaff
✟17,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
I believe it is ok. Simply pray to the LORD and see what He does. Just be wise with your time and money, there is no wrong in doing a little hobby on the side as long as you are being productive with most of your time.

As said above I also play computer games on the side, but I completely disagree with the idea that it is not God's will that I play computer games.

If He didn't want me to play computer games in even the slightest amount and I knew it, why in the world would I want to play them? I would be going against God's wishes and that is a sin.

God's mercy is not for us to mess around with, if we go against His wishes because we don't yet fully understand His commands, then that is where God's mercy comes into play. (Thank the LORD for it.)

Upvote 0