Christian Women, Are You Causing Men to Sin?

L

Lyndie

its really all dependent on the intent and actions of the person. If the woman is wearing pants that hug her butt and accentuate her curves on purpose, then yes she is creating issues and possibly could cause her brothers and sisters to sin. Like I said, clothing that accentuates certain parts of the body on purpose for the issues of "looking sexy" is a form of vanity and creates stumbling blocks for others. It is a form of pride and selfishness because they are more concerned with how they look and themselves rather than worrying if they are creating a stumbling block for others. If the woman doesn't care then that isn't too Christian of her, is it?? she obviously does not care about her brothers and sisters in Christ and is a hypocrite.
Re the bolded- one more time, I, and the woman in this thread agree with you. However, there men turned on by just about anything. So what are we to do, go around to every guy in our church and ask him what causes him to stumble? Because you'd get everything from toes to lipstick. And if that's the case it would be better for us to just stay home.

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟805,050.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
well...

OK this may be a sin but I have issues with wearing clothes that don't help accentuate the curves of my body, and I'm not speaking in a dirty way. It would help me feel more confident:| I know this is not what people want to see me say:(

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟97,021.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
well...

OK this may be a sin but I have issues with wearing clothes that don't help accentuate the curves of my body, and I'm not speaking in a dirty way. It would help me feel more confident:| I know this is not what people want to see me say:(

I agree with you, totally. It's only some quite unhealthy, and actually quite unbiblical views that so polarises sexual issues.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟805,050.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I agree with you, totally. It's only some quite unhealthy, and actually quite unbiblical views that so polarises sexual issues.

John
NZ
I guess it's the underlying issue of sexual vs. dirty. You can't be dirty without being sexual, but you can be sexual without intending to purport yourself as "getting dirty." I don't know how to explain. :|and I may end up disagreeing with myself later.

Upvote 0

Mobiosity

American by birth; Southern by the grace of God.
Feb 20, 2007
✟11,055.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Re the bolded- one more time, I, and the woman in this thread agree with you. However, there men turned on by just about anything. So what are we to do, go around to every guy in our church and ask him what causes him to stumble? Because you'd get everything from toes to lipstick. And if that's the case it would be better for us to just stay home.
Hence the burqa/chador. If all you see is a raisin floating down the street, it's hard to find anything stimulating about it.

Upvote 0

daydreamergurl15

Daughter of the King
Dec 11, 2003
✟15,656.00
Faith
Christian
Not watched the video yet, but to address the question at hand I'd have to say, no. Everyone is solely responsible for their own sin. No one else can cause it.

We most certainly can be a stumbling block for people and cause them to sin. That's why scripture tells us to be careful so people don't see us doing something that is perceived to be wrong and that they think it's okay.

I pray that I am not a stumbling block for someone.

Upvote 0

wannabeadesigirl

Dec 28, 2007
✟17,294.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Green
airō;55250182 said:
Yes. Christian women should not be dressed like Britney Spears in church, or anywhere for that matter.

Watching the video will help all of you understand better. Humble yourselves before the Lord.

And a guy with ripped washboard abs shouldn't be walking around half naked either. The whole "men are more visual" is a load of bull. Women can see a guy without his shirt on and fantasize about him. Modesty is important in both men and women, so why are women being yelled at to cover it up, when men are excused?

I just listened to part of the video...*blargh*

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟97,021.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
A more fundamental question is why do we obsess over bodies as we do? Naked societies exist without such an obsession. Society has sexualised bodies, no matter how covered they are. Plus there is a high degree of attraction by divine design. We need to learn how to appreciate that without that degenerating into mere desire.

John
NZ

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OGM

Mar 22, 2010
✟18,565.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
A more fundamental question is why do we obsess over bodies as we do? Naked societies exist without such an obsession. Society has sexualised bodies, no matter how covered they are. Plus there is a high degree of attraction by divine design. We need to learn how to appreciate that without that degenerating into mere desire.
NZ
The human bodies through the years has been seen as dirty, weak and something to look down upon. Sexuality has been seen as a necessary evil but an evil nevertheless. There is almost a double personality we are supposed to have. Single people should be void of all sexual thought because pre-marital thoughts are considered evil, lust, whatever and you pray to have them removed. Yet we are supposed to have “attraction” to the opposite sex. Yet no one wants to admit that the attraction is sexually based attraction. So we train ourselves that the naked human body is too overwhelming to look at unless it is your spouses.

There is fallout to all of this of course. We now have single Christian men who are trying to avoid all sexual feelings. Many will say that is good. Good until it is realized they never date and will not likely marry. Then the authors and seminars leaders keep screaming that the males should “man-up” and pursue a wife and create a family. If someone has been taught something is bad all of their lives why are they expected to flip a switch to desire it?

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟97,021.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The human bodies through the years has been seen as dirty, weak and something to look down upon. Sexuality has been seen as a necessary evil but an evil nevertheless. There is almost a double personality we are supposed to have. Single people should be void of all sexual thought because pre-marital thoughts are considered evil, lust, whatever and you pray to have them removed. Yet we are supposed to have “attraction” to the opposite sex. Yet no one wants to admit that the attraction is sexually based attraction. So we train ourselves that the naked human body is too overwhelming to look at unless it is your spouses.

There is fallout to all of this of course. We now have single Christian men who are trying to avoid all sexual feelings. Many will say that is good. Good until it is realized they never date and will not likely marry. Then the authors and seminars leaders keep screaming that the males should “man-up” and pursue a wife and create a family. If someone has been taught something is bad all of their lives why are they expected to flip a switch to desire it?

Indeed. We only need to read the many agonised posts on sexual topics to see just what that background has led too. Yet, old dogmas are repeated without a moments' reflection on how messy the scene is amongst the Christian community. How sad.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

OGM

Mar 22, 2010
✟18,565.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Indeed. We only need to read the many agonised posts on sexual topics to see just what that background has led too. Yet, old dogmas are repeated without a moments' reflection on how messy the scene is amongst the Christian community. How sad.
I agree with you dnp...
Yes its very sad.
To me the worst part is what happens when I try to objectively try to look at the problems while making parallels and finding inconsistencies. I find many posters become very angry at me and claim I am trying to unravel faith and am trying to encourage all sorts of sexual behavior I never mentioned in the first place. For example when I say a man’s attraction to a woman is a SEXUAL attraction. Within minutes, I get immediate anger from some posters. With the all of this confusion I see why women in the Church are not asked out on dates by Christian men who are terrified of their own pre-marital sexuality.

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟97,021.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
For many their sexuality is a bit like trying to put a bung back into a champagne bottle. Something shakes it and it all bursts out. That is not healthy integration, just damaging suppression. A lot of teaching on sexuality owes more to gnosticism than to a biblical position. Avowed monks had to demonise sex to justify its continued life within them. A vow of celibacy didn't mean a-sexuality, especially during those long times of prayer and meditation or in the confessional.

John
NZ

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟97,021.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
This tragic statement is from another thread.

When I sin, knowingly sin, I hate myself. I not only hate myself but I come close to gouging out my eye, or cutting of my genitals. I HATE MYSELF when I sin.

I feel the presence of God and my relationship get thin. I don't feel as if I can sit and pray to Him for days. I'm completely ashamed. This shame makes me sick to the point that my stomach is in knots.

Salvation is about wholeness. The above describes a psychologically damaged individual, whose Savour is also his tormentor. The nonsense preached in the name of sexual purity is in fact a monster, destroying people and their faith. What will that poor guy bring into marriage sexually? And personally?

John
NZ

Upvote 0

wannabeadesigirl

Dec 28, 2007
✟17,294.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Green

John
NZ

:amen::thumbsup::clap:

The human body was created beautiful. The female form is beautiful, and granted while we shouldn't lust after it, or any human form, it's beauty should not be denied.

Reactions: Johnnz
Upvote 0

cowboysfan1970

Forum Regular
Aug 3, 2008
✟16,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This tragic statement is from another thread.

When I sin, knowingly sin, I hate myself. I not only hate myself but I come close to gouging out my eye, or cutting of my genitals. I HATE MYSELF when I sin.

I feel the presence of God and my relationship get thin. I don't feel as if I can sit and pray to Him for days. I'm completely ashamed. This shame makes me sick to the point that my stomach is in knots.

Salvation is about wholeness. The above describes a psychologically damaged individual, whose Savour is also his tormentor. The nonsense preached in the name of sexual purity is in fact a monster, destroying people and their faith. What will that poor guy bring into marriage sexually? And personally?

John
NZ
Believe me I know what this is like because I've been there. Unlearning what you've learned is a very difficult thing to achieve. It's taken me years to come to terms that our sexual desires and feelings are sinful or disordered and that I have to deny them to be a "true" Christian. I still struggle with it. There are some posters on CF that seem to see sexuality as something that's evil and perverse. I think that the Bible says that anyone that goes around teaching things like that is ananthema. I hate to think of the number of marriages that have been destroyed by that type of anti Biblical theology.

Upvote 0

OGM

Mar 22, 2010
✟18,565.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think that the Bible says that anyone that goes around teaching things like that is ananthema. I hate to think of the number of marriages that have been destroyed by that type of anti Biblical theology.
More marriages then we will ever know because it is still somewhat of a taboo topic in many circles. Also we will never know how many people never married because they were so afraid of intimacy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Alive_Again

Resident Alien
Sep 16, 2010
✟12,991.00
Faith
Word of Faith
I'm glad someone finally had the guts to say something about these things.

Women are typecast about being very casual about not being swayed by visual appeal. I've heard many of them (worldly women) go on about it on their own, or when they thought they were on their own. Maybe not to the same level as men, but they too are affected by the lusts of the eyes.

Young children are not fully aware of the modesty thing. Everyone overlooks their seeming lack of modesty in church. They do not know better. Grown women surely should know better. I understand we can have "blind spots" so to speak about things. We need prayer!

Women are supposed to clothe their vessels with honor and care. We are not to be an occasion for stumbling for anyone. Do you not know that we have to look away from many of you because of carelessness?
Your eyes are "gates".

Didn't you notice that the enemy owns the media of the world. Have you seen even some of the ads on this Forum? Do you think that is an accident?

As a man delivered from the love of the world, the lusts of the flesh, and the pride of life, I will run from anyone who manifests evil spirits in this area. It means that much to me to be chaste. It may seem weak! I don't care. My relationship with the Lord means more to me than any woman, however lovely. I was made to react a certain way in the flesh. Someone said that a man was a microwave oven compared to a woman's crockpot! Please encourage those you know to be considerate to their brothers who want to honor God with their eyes, and not be an occasion for stumbling.

If I had a dollar for every time one bent over uncovered at church functions I'd buy a nice dinner for my friends. Yes, they're my sisters and I feel that way, but many are in bondage to lusts. For them, you may be an occasion for their stumbling.

As a jewel of gold in a swine's snout, so is a fair woman which is without discretion.
Prov 11:22

The women are the fairer sex. Use it wisely. You'll be held accountable for it.

Upvote 0