Christian women and skincare products, make up, and nice clothes?

D

Dunban

" A Christian women should not be using make ups, skincare products and wear nice clothes. Because as Christians , we should not care about our looks"

thoughts?

It's up to them, I don't really care.

It's not my place to start telling fringe fundamentalist groups how to run their lives. I'm not even a woman, so it's probably not my place to be telling women what to wear, not wear, how to dress or whatnot.

That would be like me going into a Muslim country and dictating what their women need to wear. I'd be dead before I finished talking.

Upvote 0

Bobinator

Jul 30, 2007
✟11,899.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
" A Christian women should not be using make ups, skincare products and wear nice clothes. Because as Christians , we should not care about our looks"

thoughts?
Didn't stop Queen Esther from spending a whole year trying to enhance her beauty before presenting herself to King Xerxes. Nor Daniel from being a vegetarian for a time so he the others he was with would look healthy and become selected as special aides to the King.

There's a level of reasonableness that we should observe. Women who pack on loads of make-up and transform themselves into looking entirely different are vain. It's also a sign of non-acceptance of one's self. Self esteem issues. I'm not being judgmental, but truthful. I understand the pressures society has to offer, although it's not necessary to conform. Women have different challenges than men and are unfortunately judged more on their appearance than men will ever know.

However, like being a casual drinker, it's not a sin, but drinking oneself drunk all the time is definitely a problem. Having to pack it on every morning and excessively dolling it up all the time can be too. I think being a body builder carries similar risks.

Personally, if a gal received a lot of love and acceptance in their homes growing up, subconsciously they'd feel less pressure to rely on make-up, regardless of their natural level of attraction.

I forget which scripture it is, but Paul the Apostle encouraged women to look descent and presentable for their husbands.

• Winner
Reactions: Ljepa
Upvote 0

Avniel

Doing my part each day by being the best me
Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Didn't stop Queen Esther from spending a whole year trying to enhance her beauty before presenting herself to King Xerxes. Nor Daniel from being a vegetarian for a time so he the others he was with would look healthy and become selected as special aides to the King.

There's a level of reasonableness that we should observe. Women who pack on loads of make-up and transform themselves into looking entirely different are vain. It's also a sign of non-acceptance of one's self. Self esteem issues. I'm not being judgmental, but truthful. I understand the pressures society has to offer, although it's not necessary to conform. Women have different challenges than men and are unfortunately judged more on their appearance than men will ever know.

However, like being a casual drinker, it's not a sin, but drinking oneself drunk all the time is definitely a problem. Having to pack it on every morning and excessively dolling it up all the time can be too. I think being a body builder carries similar risks.

Personally, if a gal received a lot of love and acceptance in their homes growing up, subconsciously they'd feel less pressure to rely on make-up, regardless of their natural level of attraction.

I forget which scripture it is, but Paul the Apostle encouraged women to look descent and presentable for their husbands.

You can't really say that women that put on a lot of makeup are vain.....maybe their mother out on a lot of makeup, maybe they don't know how to put on makeup, maybe their not to good at it. I just think its judgmental to say women that put on a ton of make up do it for xyz.

Upvote 0

Jupiter Drops

be like a flower and turn your face to the sun
Jan 20, 2012
✟21,341.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

thoughts?

Sounds like some Westboro bs.

In other words, ew.

Someone's not been reading Proverbs 31.

Upvote 0
U

Urbanredneck

Well its just me but personally I dont trust anyone who spends too much time and money on their looks. Espcially when they feel the need to show it off in church. Whether it be makeup, jewelry, fancy clothes, or cosmetic surgery.

Part of that comes from me being around people with special needs including people with skin disorders who cannot help looking bad, yet their inner beauty comes pouring out.

I think personally thats where Tammie Fay started to fall away.

To the ladies who every morning "put on their face". What are you doing? Are you 2 different people before and after?

Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
personally, i find that women who don't use makeup or dress to be attractive are more appealing than those who do; i wonder how much of makeup and fashion is an effort to disguise the lack of perceived inner beauty (please don't pm me any nasty messages, i'm not saying that makeup and dressing attractively is in any way sinful in and of itself :) ).

in all things be led by the Holy Spirit; if the Holy Spirit leads a woman to use makeup and dress fashionably, by all means they should follow His leading.

1Ti 2:9-10 KJV
(9) In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;
(10) But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.

my understanding is that Paul is saying that women, like men, should focus on inner beauty that comes from being God-centered and primarily seek the beauty that comes from good works that result from God's leading. the context is behavior in church, and the point is that women (as well as men) shouldn't be dressed in a way that would distract people from focus on God in the gathering of believers. i don't see that this applies outside of a church meeting.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

miss-a

Jul 12, 2009
Snowy Northeast
✟35,831.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

thoughts?

From good, solid, conservative Christian leaders, I have heard it said that the above statement is legalism. Saying we can't is lording it over, something Jesus did not speak highly of, just as much as saying we have to. If we turn the statement around, it's a bit easier to see the unwise nature of the have-to. You have to wear make up and nice clothes. Just as silly as saying you can't wear them. What we need to put on is the mind of Christ and the filling of the Holy spirit and love. This is what is biblical and this is what will lead us to knowing what we should or should not wear.

It's always about relationship with Jesus. Not wearing make up will not get me closer to Jesus. Hanging out with Jesus will get me closer to Jesus, and He can take it from there. As Christians, we've got to get this or we will dry up on the vine. It's about Jesus.

" we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not [in] the oldness of the letter."Rom 7:6 .

"... of the new covenant, not of the letter[of the law] but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life." 2 Cor 3:6

"Now choose life . . ." Deut 30:19

Upvote 0

humblewatchman

Two greatest commandements are to love.
Nov 13, 2011
West Coast...USA
✟18,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What bobinator said is true and balanced. Anything to excess is wrong. A little makeup is not displeasing to the Lord. He does not want us to look like drudges. We are to be clean and well presented....

Matthew 6:16-18
16“Whenever you fast, do not put on a gloomy face as the hypocrites do, for they neglect their appearance so that they will be noticed by men when they are fasting. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full.17“But you, when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face18so that your fasting will not be noticed by men, but by your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you." Now among the deeper truths he is pointing out in this scripture, he reveals that we should be "presentable". Oiling your hair was not an action implying health or vitality, it was for appearances. (shiny hair).

In Ruth, as bobinator pointed out it said "Ruth 3:3
Wash, put on perfume, and get dressed in your best clothes.

Then in 2 Samuel 12:20 "Then David got up from the ground. After he had washed, put on lotions and changed his clothes, he went into the house of the Lord and worshiped" In Ezekiel 8 it says "I gave you my solemn oath and entered into a covenant with you, declares the Sovereign Lord, and you became mine.9 “‘I bathed you with water and washed the blood from you and put ointments on you. 10 I clothed you with an embroidered dress and put sandals of fine leather on you. I dressed you in fine linen and covered you with costly garments. 11 I adorned you with jewelry: I put bracelets on your arms and a necklace around your neck, 12 and I put a ring on your nose, earrings on your ears and a beautiful crown on your head. 13 So you were adorned with gold and silver; your clothes were of fine linen and costly fabric and embroidered cloth."

We are representatives and a reflection of Him and His creation, and should project that in a modest and yet creative way...both. There is great freedom in the choices we make due to the grace of our Lord Jesus. He loves beauty and color...observe creation (birds and flowers) and you will see that. He wants us to be admired/attractive to unbelievers and appearance is on that list, however it is lower on it than attaining internal wisdom and beauty of a pure heart having been trained by the Spirit.

Here is a short example of when we can cross a line....When women get older the color slowly leaves their lips. To wear a little lipstick to bring back some youthful color is not a sin. To get injections to alter your lips because it is the fad and are spending big money to accomplish this...you have crossed a line. Put that money in the collection plate instead, and your inner beauty (which can be seen on the outside) will increase.

It is the attitude behind it that must be observed and revealed by the Holy Spirit. If one wears it to feel more secure...something is amiss. If you wear it to be sexually appealing to other men and you are married...something is not right. If it feeds your ego and makes you proud, there is spiritual work to be done.

Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sounds like something I said...did I? If not I have a twin. lol

Although my view is its ok to as long as it doesn't become your idol. Your not so obsessed with it that you blow tons of money to try and look perfect. By default we are made in Gods image, so to wear makeup and stuff means you think your not beautiful because your to worried about the world's standards of beauty. And it does fall under categories like vanity.

My one friend (a woman of course) spends a couple hundred a month on skin care products, makeup and other sorts of things. Its ridiculous and a waste of Gods money. Not to mention shes complains she cant make bills but refuses to cut back on her arsenal of makeup and skin products.

Its fine if you want a facial mask once and awhile, or moisturizer or even some basics like lipstick, eye liner...etc. But a woman can go to far with it and I would never marry a woman like that. My wife thankfully is not like that really. She doesn't wear much makeup and finds all the common "woman" things to much like fake lashes and so on. She wears a light colored lipstick, some blush and paints her nails once and awhile. She also does use moisturizer. Which is fine with me.

In the end women should ask their self "Is what I do overboard?". If your not then ask someone else. IN todays world we think beauty is not what God thinks of us, but what others think of us. Just like most women spend their lives obsessed with "being skinny". Its fine again to take care of your health, but its another thing if its what you obsesses about for fear of what another flawed human might say.

Upvote 0

Ljepa

Jan 16, 2021
Gold Coast
✟8,015.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
You can't really say that women that put on a lot of makeup are vain.....maybe their mother out on a lot of makeup, maybe they don't know how to put on makeup, maybe their not to good at it. I just think its judgmental to say women that put on a ton of make up do it for xyz.
Generally speaking of heavy makeup such as glitter, bold colours, and makeup styles that don't appear 'natural'. Some Christians have not been taught to understand how this is considered vain. In the bible, it mentioned that women are to reserve beauty to their partners only. That is why it was also mentioned that we are to wear modest clothing that covers our beauty from the rest of the world. A good example is how Muslim women are dressed.

Upvote 0

Ljepa

Jan 16, 2021
Gold Coast
✟8,015.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

I definitely agree. However, Esther only wore makeup for the king as part of her plan to cease the killings of the Jews. And alcohol consumption was discouraged in the bible (Leviticus 10:9).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ChristServant

Aug 23, 2020
South
✟26,634.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

thoughts?
Sent

It's a waste of time asking rebellious people questions like this because they do not care for scriptural truth and will always lie, deceive or manipulate scripture to what they want from it. They love the world and the things in it more than GOD.

Scripture tells Christian women to be modest amongst other things but most of them do not care for the Word of GOD.

Look up these scriptures below and ask and see the reactions that come out. You will be called all sorts from so called Christians.
1 Timothy 2:11-12
Titus 2:3-5
1 Corinthians 14:34
1 Timothy 2:9

Peace be to all those in the body of Christ

Reactions: Ljepa
Upvote 0

Ljepa

Jan 16, 2021
Gold Coast
✟8,015.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Sent

It's a waste of time asking rebellious people questions like this because they do not care for scriptural truth and will always lie, deceive or manipulate scripture to what they want from it. They love the world and the things in it more than GOD.

Scripture tells Christian women to be modest amongst other things but most of them do not care for the Word of GOD.

Look up these scriptures below and ask and see the reactions that come out. You will be called all sorts from so called Christians.
1 Timothy 2:11-12
Titus 2:3-5
1 Corinthians 14:34
1 Timothy 2:9

Peace be to all those in the body of Christ

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-01-17-08-49-42-57.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-01-17-08-49-42-57.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 2
Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,952.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

thoughts?
The verse in the bible that talks about this is saying our focus should be spending our money on the poor and needy as opposed to spending it on excessive, clothes, makeup etc. You can wear makeup, nice clothes, but remember the poor as a priority.

1Ti 2:9-10 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.

Upvote 0