Virginia
✟152,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Guns are an efficient tool for suicide and so often chosen, but if you look at suicide rates themselves, you see that all forms of suicide are rising at the same rates...even suicidal car crashes.

The root of the problem is that life in America makes people crazy.

People talk about getting rid of guns in America like mice talking about belling the cat.

But if going through the enormous level of repression of freedom it would take to rid America of guns--and I'm not just talking about the 2nd amendment, but pretty much all of the Bill of Rights would have to be scrapped in that effort--it wouldn't have been worth it not to have even chopped at the root of the problem.

I am not in favor of ridding our guns from Americans either. But we can discover the meaning of well regulated if we try. Gun violence is a very large reason why life in America "makes people crazy"!

Upvote 0

9Rock9

Sinner in need of grace.
Nov 28, 2018
South Carolina
✟73,672.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I think the topic is super complicated. Like it or not, Americans aren't gonna give up their guns willingly, and there are more guns than people in the U.S.

I think most can agree that there are some people who should not have guns. The question is, "How do we keep guns out of the hands of dangerous people while not punishing law abiding citizens?"

Reactions: Hary89
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Far too many guns and far too many irresponsible gun owners in America. We can work on both issues in my view. Failure only occurs when you quit trying, which America has done. Your mental health theory doesn't hold much water either. The first article I linked estimated only 4% of American gun deaths were related to mental health issues. Our mental health data in America is in line with data from other wealthy nations. Only our unnecessary gun violence is out of line with other countries.
that makes no sense as if 54% of gun deaths are suicides people who get to that point have some sort of mental issues either at that time or for years before that. Now is that to say that all those people have a long-standing issue with mental health no though I do have a hard time believing that the number is just four percent, but people who are thinking perfectly clearly and are mentally sound at a particular moment generally do not attempt or complete suicide with a gun or any other means for that matter. Even if that does hold true though does not change the fact that most gun deaths are completed not with the guns most people wish to regulate more, but with the guns that already have the highest age to lawfully purchase.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think the topic is super complicated. Like it or not, Americans aren't gonna give up their guns willingly, and there are more guns than people in the U.S.

I think most can agree that there are some people who should not have guns. The question is, "How do we keep guns out of the hands of dangerous people while not punishing law abiding citizens?"
that is indeed the million dollar question and one that I think has much to do with people watching people. By this I mean, that shootings and likely suicides have been stopped by people ratting on other people either to the law or otherwise to medical assistance or with minors sometimes even parents. Sometimes you will even see more than one of the above.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I am not in favor of ridding our guns from Americans either. But we can discover the meaning of well regulated if we try. Gun violence is a very large reason why life in America "makes people crazy"!
and again as it relates to violence taking suicide out of it people who do things like mass shootings do not care about laws and at this point there are more guns than people anyway. Most gun violence is likely either the result of other violent crime or often gang violence. The other common thing is people who would die anyway that is harsh and cold yes, but I am talking about situations where person A wants person or persons B deceased badly enough where they will have it done one way or another ( usually these are cases where the victim and suspect know each other/ Of total gun deaths VERY few are true blue random mass shootings usually they are either, suicide, committed in some other act of violence, committed by or on behalf of gangs or committed by people who want a particular person or persons dead badly enough that they would use just about anything to get it done.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Wait. All the other articles I've read indicate that at least 50% of gun deaths are suicides. Your second article bears that out. I suspect you're reading the first article wrong.

And suicide is always a mental health issue.
thank you people who attempt or complete suicide are certainly not mentally sound or stable at that particular moment or if they are they very wrongly and get that think that people would be better off without them for some reason. Now, not all of those people have long-standing mental health issues and sometimes they may have issues that are not discovered until it too late and people get to looking back and see that there was probably a disorder there that was untreated I have heard of at least one case like that. However, no one attempts or completes suicide without some type of mental issue at some point.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,325.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm going to repeat this again because you conveniently ignored it:

People talk about getting rid of guns in America like mice talking about belling the cat.

But if going through the enormous level of repression of freedom it would take to rid America of guns--and I'm not just talking about the 2nd amendment, but pretty much all of the Bill of Rights would have to be scrapped in that effort--it wouldn't have been worth it not to have even chopped at the root of the problem.

Upvote 0

Hary89

Sep 5, 2022
Queens
✟12,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I'm going to repeat this again because you conveniently ignored it:

The Bill of Rights isn't sanctified. It's contents are based on 18th Century liberal ideals. Some contents are rather vague.

What is a well regulated militia?

Upvote 0

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟152,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wait. All the other articles I've read indicate that at least 50% of gun deaths are suicides. Your second article bears that out. I suspect you're reading the first article wrong.

And suicide is always a mental health issue.

While I appreciate your feedback on my reading comprehension, I posted the first story because it contains my first two sentences. And I used that second link as evidence for the suicide aspect of my post.

This is the second time you have attempted to correct me. And as I enjoy reading your contributions, I don't feel like arguing over minute things. I am merely letting you know why I may not respond to your posts in the future.

Peace

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,325.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While I appreciate your feedback on my reading comprehension, I posted the first story because it contains my first two sentences. And I used that second link as evidence for the suicide aspect of my post.

This is the second time you have attempted to correct me. And as I enjoy reading your contributions, I don't feel like arguing over minute things. I am merely letting you know why I may not respond to your posts in the future.

Peace

There is nothing minute about one article saying 54% and your assertion that the other article says 4%. If you're going to present both articles and hang a discussion on that point, it's your responsibility to explain that difference.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,325.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Bill of Rights isn't sanctified. It's contents are based on 18th Century liberal ideals. Some contents are rather vague.

What is a well regulated militia?

Most Americans are not so willing to dump the majority of the Bill of Rights, which is what it would take to reduce gun ownership in the US to that of, say, Britain. That's still mice talking about belling the cat.

Upvote 0

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟152,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is nothing minute about one article saying 54% and your assertion that the other article says 4%. If you're going to present both articles and hang a discussion on that point, it's your responsibility to explain that difference.
Mass shootings and suicides are different victims. The 4% are mass shooters who had verifiable mental illness. Meaning 4% of mass shooters suffered mental illness. The 54% of gun deaths in America are suicides. Indicating suicides are far more likely to only take their own lives and not commit mass shootings. Perhaps it is not my reading comprehension at issue here lol.

I will post links directly relating to each sentence immediately following the sentence in the future. Or simply choose to do productive things instead of trying to communicate with people online. Peace

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,325.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mass shootings and suicides are different victims. The 4% are mass shooters who had verifiable mental illness. Meaning 4% of mass shooters suffered mental illness.

No, that means 4% had been previously verified as mentally ill, which is a vastly different premise.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,325.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am ok being pro gun.......gun control has nothing to do with guns, but everything to do with control.
I would like to have all the guns our current president left in Afghanistan for our enemy's to use.
Well, realistically the Taliban are not and have never been enemies of the US.

Upvote 0

Hary89

Sep 5, 2022
Queens
✟12,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Most Americans are not so willing to dump the majority of the Bill of Rights, which is what it would take to reduce gun ownership in the US to that of, say, Britain. That's still mice talking about belling the cat.
Unfortunately, America will be plagued by mass shootings for decades until they decide to change.
Well, realistically the Taliban are not and have never been enemies of the US.
Right. The Taliban was created by the U.S..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Unfortunately, America will be plagued by mass shootings for decades until they decide to change.

so does that mean that we should give up our freedom because a small percentage of people do not know how to act?

Upvote 0

Hary89

Sep 5, 2022
Queens
✟12,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
so does that mean that we should give up our freedom because a small percentage of people do not know how to act?
If it lessens the likelihood of my loved ones massacred in a supermarket by a person who doesn't know how to act then I'm all for it.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Speaking from a biblical perspective this is my viewpoint on the gun debate. Christians should be for gun rights. Why? Because guns are used for hunting and the Bible justifies hunting. Even if you're a Christian pacifist you've got to admit that guns are used for hunting. So if for no other reason Christians should be for gun rights because guns are used for hunting.
So if I hunted big game with tomahawk missiles, they should also be available?

No.

Justifying hunting is one thing; the tools available to do it with is another entirely.

Reactions: Hary89
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,325.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Also, the Taliban is quite content to stay in their part of the world.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
If it lessens the likelihood of my loved ones massacred in a supermarket by a person who doesn't know how to act then I'm all for it.
Trouble is people that do that do not care 300 million guns people that do not trust the government probably going to end in more violence than it would prevent.

Upvote 0