New Jersey
✟13,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Speaking from a biblical perspective this is my viewpoint on the gun debate. Christians should be for gun rights. Why? Because guns are used for hunting and the Bible justifies hunting. Even if you're a Christian pacifist you've got to admit that guns are used for hunting. So if for no other reason Christians should be for gun rights because guns are used for hunting.

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Speaking from a biblical perspective this is my viewpoint on the gun debate. Christians should be for gun rights. Why? Because guns are used for hunting and the Bible justifies hunting. Even if you're a Christian pacifist you've got to admit that guns are used for hunting. So if for no other reason Christians should be for gun rights because guns are used for hunting.

I come down firmly on the side of thou shall not kill. That's about it. Someone should be able to own a gun for whatever reason they want to but they shouldn't use it to kill anyone. But more on point:

Luk 22:35 And He said to them, “When I sent you without money bag, knapsack, and sandals, did you lack anything?” So they said, “Nothing.”

Luk 22:36 Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.

The meaning of that is that at first they weren't sent out very far, only within Israel. But now they were being sent farther away so they would need to take provisions with them for the longer journey, including a sword. Flavius Josephus wrote of the Essenes:

For this reason they make trips without carrying any baggage at all—though armed on account of the bandits.

When they traveled they carried swords for self defense.

Upvote 0

peaceful-forest

Nov 5, 2022
-
✟65,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Other than hunting, I think it's going to be hard to use the Bible on specifics of gun ownership.

I think what we should look at why own a gun and what do you use it for. As long as it's God-honoring, it's not wrong.

I own one. I bought it for defense. I had felt for some time that I needed to buy a gun for defense while I still had the chance.

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟418,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It says thou shalt not murder so war is semi OK too. But to protect your home and your family from senseless killing, no matter what your choice of weapon, may be necessary. Guns are also a very good hobby and many lawful gun owners should not be denied this liberty. Plus there is so much corruption in government that the people are a check and balance to keep from tyranny and injustice. There are many killers of men but this one is protected.

Upvote 0

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟151,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The problem in America is citizens use guns to hunt other citizens. This makes our society less safe. Now America actually sacrifices lives of our citizens in our worship of guns. As a Christian, I am concerned with the unnecessary loss of lives.

Upvote 0

JosephZ

Mar 25, 2017
Davao City
Visit site
✟230,765.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I come down firmly on the side of thou shall not kill. That's about it. Someone should be able to own a gun for whatever reason they want to but they shouldn't use it to kill anyone. But more on point:

Luk 22:35 And He said to them, “When I sent you without money bag, knapsack, and sandals, did you lack anything?” So they said, “Nothing.”

Luk 22:36 Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.

The meaning of that is that at first they weren't sent out very far, only within Israel. But now they were being sent farther away so they would need to take provisions with them for the longer journey, including a sword. Flavius Josephus wrote of the Essenes:

For this reason they make trips without carrying any baggage at all—though armed on account of the bandits.

When they traveled they carried swords for self defense.
The purpose of the sword found in Luke 22:36 was to fullfill prophesy.

And He said to them, “When I sent you out without money belt and bag and sandals, you did not lack anything, did you?” They said, “No, nothing.” And He said to them, “But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his cloak and buy one. For I tell you that this which is written must be fulfilled in Me: ‘And He was counted with transgressors’; for that which refers to Me has its fulfillment.” They said, “Lord, look, here are two swords.” And He said to them, “It is enough.” (Luke 22:35-38)

The events that took place at the Garden of Gethsemane were necessary so all prophecies concerning Him be fulfilled.

“For I tell you that this which is written must be fulfilled in Me, ‘And He was numbered with transgressors (Isaiah 53:12)’; for that which refers to Me has its fulfillment.” (Luke 22:37)

This is why Jesus replied with "That's enough," when his disciples said, “Lord, look here are two swords." (Luke 22:38) Two swords were more than enough needed for that moment in the garden when Peter would draw his sword on one of the men who came to arrest Jesus. Jesus allowed Peter to do this in order to fulfill the prophecy that He would be "numbered with transgressors."

So when Jesus said to Peter, “Put your sword into the sheath. Shall I not drink the cup which My Father has given Me?” (John 18:11) It was at this point the prophecy found in Isaiah, "He was numbered with transgressors", had been fulfilled.

The purpose of Peter carrying and using a sword was so he would be in violation the a law in order that Jesus would be seen as a transgressor (Criminal).

Since this prophesy was fulfilled and the purpose of the swords has long passed, those verses can't be used to support the idea that followers of Christ should carry guns for self defense today.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟121,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

That's it.... that is my viewpoint

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Can you show how the Bible justifies hunting, particularly hunting with guns?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a gun owner, but I'm curious how you would develop such an argument. By the way, I'm also for more gun regulation. Many American citizens continue to show they are not responsible gun owners. If we can't be responsible as a whole, then we need legislation to step in the gap. Gun rights are not God-given. The Constitution is not gospel; it can be amended.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,296.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
That seems like an odd argument. As a broad category guns can be used for hunting. But not all guns are suitable for hunting, including many of the more popular ones. Not to mention there are other ways to hunt, so it's not like hunting would stop if all guns were banished.

Upvote 0

A_JAY

Site Supporter
Mar 8, 2017
North Central
✟484,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think the whole debate on guns is about hunting. Conceal carry, no licensing, transport across state lines. Slogan: "Guns don't kill people, people do" None of this is scriptural or Christian. The babblings of your favorite politician are not Christian, and possibly the opposite.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,474.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This must mean something.......

“Put your sword in its place, for all who take the sword will perish by the sword. "

Blessings

Upvote 0

BurningBush84

Feb 27, 2023
Minnesota
✟35,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
FB_IMG_1678804377849.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BurningBush84

Feb 27, 2023
Minnesota
✟35,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced

In Luke 22:36 Jesus told people to buy a sword. In Proverbs 24:11 it tells us to protect people. Protect school kids with armed teachers or guards .

Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟121,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
This must mean something.......

“Put your sword in its place, for all who take the sword will perish by the sword. "

Blessings

When Jesus spoke, it always meant something ... and this is as true today... as the day He spoke it.

the record in Mat 26:52 does not reflect an anti sword mentality ( sword is better translate knife) all the fishermen carried these being essential in the industry.

But those who take up weapons for the purpose of violence …will die in violence. So... if the purpose of the weapon is violence …….take heed.

If the purpose of a weapon is protection, defense, sport, hunting ….. or fishing…. that is different.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can you show how the Bible justifies hunting, particularly hunting with guns?
What guns were available in the first century?

Answer - none - you cannot find reference in scripture to the use of something that did not exist.

As for Hunting -

Acts 10:10 10 Then he became very hungry and wanted to eat; but while they made ready, he fell into a trance 11 and saw heaven opened and an object like a great sheet bound at the four corners, descending to him and let down to the earth. 12 In it were all kinds of four-footed animals of the earth, wild beasts, creeping things, and birds of the air. 13 And a voice came to him, “Rise, Peter; kill and eat.”
Yup - God was telling him to hunt his food and eat it!

Look here - where Peter recounts it.

Acts 11: Now the apostles and brethren who were in Judea heard that the Gentiles had also received the word of God. 2 And when Peter came up to Jerusalem, those of the circumcision contended with him, 3 saying, “You went in to uncircumcised men and ate with them!”​
4 But Peter explained it to them in order from the beginning, saying: 5 “I was in the city of Joppa praying; and in a trance I saw a vision, an object descending like a great sheet, let down from heaven by four corners; and it came to me. 6 When I observed it intently and considered, I saw four-footed animals of the earth, wild beasts, creeping things, and birds of the air. 7 And I heard a voice saying to me, ‘Rise, Peter; kill and eat.’
That would be God Himself instructing Peter to hunt.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a gun owner, but I'm curious how you would develop such an argument. By the way, I'm also for more gun regulation. Many American citizens continue to show they are not responsible gun owners. If we can't be responsible as a whole, then we need legislation to step in the gap. Gun rights are not God-given. The Constitution is not gospel; it can be amended.

I could say the same thing about car ownership - more people die by cars than guns -

Would you agree with the following?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a car owner, but I'm curious how you would develop such an argument. By the way, I'm also for more car regulation. Many American citizens continue to show they are not responsible car owners. If we can't be responsible as a whole, then we need legislation to step in the gap. Cars and driving rights are not God-given. The Constitution is not gospel; it can be amended.

And before you go there - do you know how many people are out there driving with unregistered, uninsured cars?

Upvote 0

BurningBush84

Feb 27, 2023
Minnesota
✟35,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
"Every living, moving thing will be food for you. I have given everything to you," Genesis 9:3

"Esau was a skillful hunter, an outdoorsman" Genesis 25:27

"So please take your gear, your quiver, and your bow, and go out to the open country, and get some wild game for me." Genesis 27:3

• Informative
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0