• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Christian4252

Jul 6, 2021
MO
✟10,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I have dealt with depression for a number of years now. I have never technically been diagnosed but I am not happy in general. I have done some counseling over the years but never anything consistent. My main struggle is bitterness over things that have happened in the past.

I am just not sure how to overcome this. I want something I could do.

Just recently, I found out that my company offers a service where they have multiple online sessions every day that are called "Mindfulness". I started doing it every day to see if it could help with my depression. It was really helping a lot. I felt like I could actually be somewhat happy again. Not saying I was totally healed but I felt like my depression was getting much better.

I was going to start a class called "Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy". But then I looked it up and it turns out that Mindfulness actually comes from Buddhism. I didn't realize this and they never mentioned religion in the Mindfulness sessions. I decided to stop doing the Mindfulness sessions and not do the class since I am not sure if I should be involved with something like that as a Christian.

It's just sad because I thought this was really helping and I was finally going to overcome this, but now I can't do it. Does anyone have any ideas as to some Christian things I could do to overcome this? I have had people pray for me and I pray and read my Bible most days but I still have these issues.

I actually want something I could do. Not just some realization of things. It seems like even when I have a revelation of things, it helps momentarily, but then 2 days later I'm back to square one. The reason I liked the Mindfulness sessions is it was something I could do/attend every day and it was helping.

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Practices of quieting or focusing the inner self are found in a number of religions, including Christianity. I find this kind of practice to be an important and healthy part of my own prayer life as a Christian, a way of setting aside mental clutter.

If the mindfulness sessions are helping you, I recommend rejoining them. If you do run into elements that are genuinely part of a different faith (invoking other gods, for example), then don't do that part of the exercise, but it doesn't sound like that was a part of the sessions anyway.

I'm glad you've found a mental practice that is helpful to you.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I actually want something I could do. Not just some realization of things. It seems like even when I have a revelation of things, it helps momentarily, but then 2 days later I'm back to square one. The reason I liked the Mindfulness sessions is it was something I could do/attend every day and it was helping.
Hello Christian4252, we, as believers, are to look to God alone for all of our needs, which certainly includes our mental, emotional and (of course) spiritual well-being (or healing).

Here's an article about mindfulness that you may find useful (in it you will find that certain parts of mindfulness CAN be ok for Christians to practice, but that GREAT care and understanding will always be required): What is mindfulness? Should a Christian be involved in mindfulness? | GotQuestions.org

As far as "what to do", here are some purely "Christian" suggestions/techniques (so to speak) for overcoming depression including, of course, several things that the Bible suggests doing. BTW, many of these involve learning to practice the presence of God in every moment of your life :)

Psalms 37
4 Delight ~yourself~ in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart.

Philippians 4
6 Be anxious for nothing, but ~in everything~ by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.
7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
8 Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, ~dwell~ on these things

[BTW, God & His word are the very best things for us to "dwell on" regularly, and I believe that memorizing verses and passages from the Bible is the very best/most efficient way for us to do that .. and there are Apple and Android apps to help us do that too :)]
1 Thessalonians 5
16 Rejoice always;
17 pray without ceasing;
18 in everything give thanks; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
Whenever I feel depressed and want to get out of my slump, I begin to look for things (even the smallest of things) to rejoice over/be thankful to God for (even something as simple as warm sunshine and/or a pleasant summer breeze hitting my face, for instance :)). And the more that you begin to practice doing this, the more you will find that everything (big and small, and even good OR bad*) can/should be rejoiced in, as well be the cause for thanksgiving (because of our Lord and Savior and His GREAT love and care for us, His adopted children).

As far as the "bad"* stuff in life is concerned (meaning the stuff that we perceive as being "bad"), consider something that theologian/pastor Charles H. Spurgeon once said (and one of the Bible verses that his quote if founded upon too).

Spurgeon - Kiss, Waves, Rock of Ages.png

We know that God causes all things to work together for
good to those who love God, to those who are
the called according to His purpose.

Romans 8:28
Praying for you!

God bless you!!

--David
p.s. - you may find that doing things to help others will end up being helpful to you too/will end up being just what you needed. As missionary Elisabeth Elliot has said,

"Do you often feel like parched ground, unable to produce anything worthwhile? I do. When I am in need of refreshment, it isn't easy to think of the needs of others. But I have found that if, instead of praying for my own comfort and satisfaction, I ask the Lord to enable me to give to others, an amazing thing often happens - I find my own needs wonderfully met. Refreshment comes in ways I would never have thought of, both for others, and then, incidentally, for myself."

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Vieste
Upvote 0

Vieste

Jul 9, 2016
St Petersburg fl
✟32,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have dealt with depression for a number of years now. I have never technically been diagnosed but I am not happy in general. I have done some counseling over the years but never anything consistent. My main struggle is bitterness over things that have happened in the past.

Just recently, I found out that my company offers a service where they have multiple online sessions every day that are called "Mindfulness". I started doing it every day to see if it could help with my depression. It was really helping a lot. I felt like I could actually be somewhat happy again. Not saying I was totally healed but I felt like my depression was getting much better.

I was going to start a class called "Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy". But then I looked it up and it turns out that Mindfulness actually comes from Buddhism. I didn't realize this and they never mentioned religion in the Mindfulness sessions. I decided to stop doing the Mindfulness sessions and not do the class since I am not sure if I should be involved with something like that as a Christian.

It's just sad because I thought this was really helping and I was finally going to overcome this, but now I can't do it. Does anyone have any ideas as to some Christian things I could do to overcome this? I have had people pray for me and I pray and read my Bible most days but I still have these issues.

I too have tried many avenues to help my lifelong depression - and while some have given me temporary relief, nothing has helped until I became a Christian 10 years ago. It has been the only way that has changed me and gotten me through. While I still have bad bouts of feeling down and in the pit of despair, I know that only Jesus can give me the hand up that I need to keep going and to overcome. Pray - and read the Word, especially Psalms where King David faced what we feel when depressed. And try to find Christians who can lead you along the right path. I found Christian understanding in CF for awhile, but too many have left the site in the past years - I'm sure if you keep posting, others will respond and give you new hope and insight,

God's blessings your way and prayers that you go to Him for help first.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

Hiya, cognitive behavioural therapist here :)

You’re describing ‘depressive rumination’ and Mindfulness can be really great for that. The CBT Mindfulness has it’s roots in transcendental meditation but it’s had all of it’s non-essential trappings removed (because Religion does not really mix with evidence based psychotherapy).

So there no ideology attached to mindfulness beyond what you bring yourself. As long as you are seeing a registered therapist (it’s a protected title- like Solicitor or Architect) and there will be no religious content to the mindfulness.

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟418,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do self talk a lot. It’s a book too. Combating negative thoughts with positive thoughts. Sometimes talking yourself out of downturns in mood. I take med too. But it still needs help. Often what we feel is irrational it just appens through avenues in our mind, open doors and closed doors. Prayer would help about these, and prayer when things take a downturn. Ask for support and a change of habit for instance. Thinking in a positive way when you need to.

Last night I was mindful of what I usually do when ‘it goes bad’ for me. What I usually do wrong and what helps and the people around me. So I stayed with it and nursed it along to where it didn’t happen and I adjusted in a way to be helpful. I talked less and I didn’t look around as much. I was mindful of everything that was happening and did what God had told me works and I avoided the ‘lions mouth’.

Upvote 0

splish- splash

Team- Early Interventions
Dec 2, 2019
✟225,571.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, since you're a believer, I will simply encourage you to keep meditating on the word of God. This should definitely help you to develop a sense of direction with regards to the depression & how best to deal with it. The problem is when one is expecting to just come out of it over night yet maybe, God wants you to go through it all but this doesn't mean, you're not being healed from whatever happened in your past. God has his own ways of healing us.

Maybe, you need more counselling concerning your past. Conquer any fears you may have by just talking about your past & looking at improving inorder to become a better bride for our King Jesus..

Now back to the issue of the word of God giving us a sense of direction, e.g if you're engaging in un-healthy relationships, which are triggering bad episodes which lead to depression, you will learn how to cut off bad relationships because of Christ who enables us. This will then help improve your mental health.

Or lets say you're struggling with debt, the word of God can strengthen you to even go out there & work in-order for you to clear your debts. The word of God sustains, delivers, heals, strengthens, empowers, restores & many more.

Or lastly, say you're being financially abused by a loved one, because of Christ who now dwells in you, you will now gather courage to stick up for yourself, put your foot down & say no-more to your financial abuser. By so doing, you're getting rid of the triggers.

Reactions: Unqualified
Upvote 0

splish- splash

Team- Early Interventions
Dec 2, 2019
✟225,571.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have met people with severe depression & were on medication for it, attending all sorts of walk in places which support people with mental conditions, places such as crisis cafes & whatnot here in the UK, yet some still went onto severely harm themselves or even started experiencing dark thoughts, because they were still struggling badly.

God is able to deliver us & can help us to manage our mental health.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

linux.poet

Electric Nightfall
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2022
Poway
✟203,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

I would recommend taking up the practice of meditative prayer, which is a historical Christian practice. That involves mindfully focusing on a single word or phrase and bringing your attention back to that. Instead of focusing on your breath or weird Eastern visualization exercises, just close your eyes, assume a meditative posture, and pick a concept that you badly need in your life right now.

For example, if you're suffering from bitterness, focusing on the word "forgiveness" may be a good choice. Breathe in, have your mind think "forgiveness" and then breathe out. That is the technique that I was taught. When your depressive and bitter thoughts start going, conduct the breathing exercise as a way of saying "no" to your mind. "No, forgiveness", "I am a child of God and I forgive, I forgive people", etc. In time, your fleshly brain will know that it won't be able to push you around by flooding you with depressive and bitter thoughts.

1 Corinthians 9:26-27 said:
26 Therefore I run in such a way as not to run aimlessly; I box in such a way, as to avoid hitting air; 27 but I strictly discipline my body and make it my slave, so that, after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jsimms615

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2006
✟143,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

You might enjoy the book the Happiness Trap written by Dr.Russ Harris. He also has a web site by the same name. It uses a type of therapy called ACT "Acceptance and Commitment Therapy".

Upvote 0